Author Topic: Does this count as identity theft?  (Read 4342 times)

pitohui

• great poison god bird
Does this count as identity theft?
« on: August 07, 2006, 05:37:48 PM »
So back in 1997 when the internet was new and fancy to me, I chose a distinguished mentally-challenged handle (ToasterThief). Around 2000, I started getting emails intended for somebody else with the exact same handle. Okay, whatever, putting two words together isn't totally imaginative, he can have it. So I changed it in 2001 and never looked back. I still get messages from people saying "hey, I saw you on the SA forums," to which I have to reply "no, you didn't."

But today: cloudwalking sees this person on SA and does a double take, and asks me about it. "This guy on SA is using your name!" "Yeah I know, Toa-" "No, your name." So I log in with her account, and what the fuck? This guy is now listing my real name in his profile.

This seems relatively harmless (I haven't used the nick in over five years), but that's my REAL FUCKING NAME, and I'm not really comfortable with somebody using my name in conjuction with an old nick; that's just begging to be misidentified. And I can't email or PM this guy because I don't have a platinum SA account.

HELP ME EBO

Nick

Re: Does this count as identity theft?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:39:08 PM »
This is cosmic.

The Miles Trahan Burger Experiment

• Can he only eat just one?
  • The Walking Dead
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:39:32 PM »
WTF? How did he get your real name in the first place?

Maybe its your alternate personality, or the Bizarro pitohui  :(
BKO

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:39:36 PM »
Mail him and tell him to stop. If he doesn't, then yeah, you have legal recourse.

Aren't you a chick? He's probably one of the Serafitia/Mina hardcore "likes to play a chick online" internet transgender set.
duc

Nick

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 05:40:27 PM »
Call your house phone and see if he picks up.

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »
Despite my love of FFX-2, I am no chick.

Nick

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »

Would you be, if you could?

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »

Would you be, if you could?
Menstruation seems a hassle.

Nick

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 05:43:18 PM »

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »

YES I SAW IT YOU'RE VERY CLEVER

cloudwalking

• I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND
  • Forum Princess
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:46:28 PM »
Well, your real name is on the internet in a few places, right? Especially since you do some game journalism. He probably just e-stalked you to find it and thought it would be funny to add to the confusion by pretending to be you.

Creepy.  :S

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2006, 05:49:15 PM »
Well, your real name is on the internet in a few places, right? Especially since you do some game journalism. He probably just e-stalked you to find it and thought it would be funny to add to the confusion by pretending to be you.

Yeah, my best guess is that he stole the nick and somebody mistook him for me, and he found this hilarious. This might just be the next step in his "joke."

cloudwalking

• I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND I LIVE IN SWITZERLAND
  • Forum Princess
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »

Yeah, my best guess is that he stole the nick and somebody mistook him for me, and he found this hilarious. This might just be the next step in his "joke."

Well, who knows how long he has had your name in his profile, too. Maybe it's been on there for a day, maybe it's been on there for a few years. That's what's freaky about it!  :o

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 05:55:14 PM »
This just like that movie Face/Off!  Now you should steal HIS identity.  That'll show him!
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
dunno why i thought you were a chick. coulda i sworn i saw a post made by a "hooded pitohui" on GAF that had a chinese chick's pic, and which indicated that he/she was that person. then again, the sight of wobedraggled(sic)'s frightening supernordic visage might have scrambled all the picture-to-handle tuples in my brain's subpar relational database.
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 05:58:47 PM »
He's all that is man, Drinky!
PSP

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 06:01:47 PM »
dunno why i thought you were a chick. coulda i sworn i saw a post made by a "hooded pitohui" on GAF that had a chinese chick's pic, and which indicated that he/she was that person. then again, the sight of wobedraggled(sic)'s frightening supernordic visage might have scrambled all the picture-to-handle tuples in my brain's subpar relational database.
That was my name on GAF, but I don't recall posting any chinese women. My primary contributions to the POST NEW PICS DO IT NOW HNNNGGGGG thread were of this vein.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 06:02:18 PM »
YOU ARE A WOMAN!
o_0

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 06:03:02 PM »
He's all that is man, Drinky!
YOU SHOULDA SEEN ME TAKE OUT THAT HORNET'S NEST YESTERDAY

Wielding my garbage can lid and can of raid in the manner of some modern gladiator.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 06:03:48 PM »
I think I confused you with CrystalGemini. Do NOT ask me why.
duc

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
:lol :lol :lol
BKO

cloudwalking

• Forum Princess
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

Probably because both pitohui and CrystalGemini are dating the ebo admins  :pimp

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 06:07:03 PM »

Probably because both pitohui and CrystalGemini are dating the ebo admins  :pimp
O RLY?

THIS COULD BE!!!! AN EVERLASTING LOOOOOOVE!!!
BKO

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 06:07:31 PM »
yeah, i'm sure that's it

<shifty eyed look>

<runs like fuck>
duc

cloudwalking

• Forum Princess
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 06:08:07 PM »
yeah, i'm sure that's it

<shifty eyed look>

<runs like fuck>

:chicken

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 06:11:54 PM »
yeah, i'm sure that's it

<shifty eyed look>

<runs like fuck>

o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
That pic cracks me up every time. The grey cat needs to be an emoticon.
duc

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 06:21:44 PM »
why not ignore it? what could be the harmful consequences of this should you leave it alone, honestly?

what if that person notices that it annoys you because you contacted him, and then to kill boredom tries to deal some real damage to your name?

not worth doing anything imo

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 07:15:21 PM »
Jotaro is obviously impersonating you on SomethingAwful.  Case closed.
PSP

pitohui

• great poison god bird
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 07:20:15 PM »
why not ignore it? what could be the harmful consequences of this should you leave it alone, honestly?

what if that person notices that it annoys you because you contacted him, and then to kill boredom tries to deal some real damage to your name?

You wouldn't be pissed off if somebody took one of your old nicks and registered it under your real name? I don't know what kind of shit this guys does. If he decides to start a POST YOUR FAVORITE BABYRAPE PIXXX thread and it somehow gets connected to me, I'd be more than a little pissed off.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »
So it was you who posted the baby rape pics!
PSP

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »

You wouldn't be pissed off if somebody took one of your old nicks and registered it under your real name? I don't know what kind of shit this guys does. If he decides to start a POST YOUR FAVORITE BABYRAPE PIXXX thread and it somehow gets connected to me, I'd be more than a little pissed off.

i don't believe that the infinitesimal number of people who could hypothetically establish the connection between such a far-fetched displeasing possibility and yourself have the ability to pay attention to these things in such intricate details lurking in people's profiles... plus is your full name common? if one types it on Google, does he get only results related to you, or tons of other homonyms?

are profiles at SA viewable to guests? if so then Google could stock the information and then people could associate it to your real name by doing a casual search... but then again who'd care?

honestly, after having dealt with dozens if not hundreds of rabid stalkers on OA, really the best advice in 99% of the cases that can be given IMO is not to let the person know that this is important to you, since you never know if the person receiving your query is well-intended or not, especially on a board such as SA... don't overestimate the people's level of perceptivity too ;)