Author Topic: Ford Fusion Hybrid travels 1,445 miles on a single tank, averages 81.5 mpg  (Read 1755 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-fusion-hybrid-travels-1445-miles-on-a-single-tank-averages-815-mpg.html

Going strictly by the Environmental Protection Agency’s fuel economy figures, the Ford Fusion Hybrid is the most fuel-efficient mid-size sedan on the market, but Ford today proved it is also one of the most efficient vehicles on the road today, regardless of class.

A team of Ford engineers and fuel mileage experts – with a special cameo appearance by NASCAR driver Carl Edwards — set out on April 25th to cover 1,000 miles on a single tank of gas in a showroom-stock Ford Fusion Hybrid, but wound up exceeding all expectations. When the Ford Fusion Hybrid finally rolled to a stop at 5:47am on Tuesday morning, the team had covered an astonishing 1,445.7 miles, netting an average of 81.5 mpg.

Not only is the mark of 1,445 miles on a single tank more than double the Fusion Hybrid’s claimed range of 700 miles, but is also the new record for a gasoline-powered, mid-size sedan.

Ford openly admits extreme driving techniques were used to achieve the record economy, but the results go a long way in proving the adage ‘it’s not what you drive but how you drive’. “Not only does this demonstrate the Fusion Hybrid’s fuel efficiency, it also shows that driving technique is one of the keys to maximizing its potential,” said Nancy Gioia, director, Ford Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs. One of the Fusion Hybrid’s key traits is its SmartGauge with EcoGuide, which helps the driver drive more efficiently.

Adding some icing to the cake, Ford’s 1,000 mile challenge also raised $8,000 for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

:bow Ford :bow2

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
distinguished mentally-challenged post
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:51:44 PM by demi »
CBG

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
ManaByte clearly hates America
fat

That's nice, jackass.

Didn't Ford just win the Progressive X Prize, or are large auto manufacturers not eligible?

edit: Nevermind, they only went 81.5 mpg, the X Prize is for 100 mpg.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:56:14 PM by distantmantra »
野球

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Can I vote for "shit program that cuts and pastes responses"

IBM better beef him up before he goes on Jeopardy!
乱学者

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
I imagine manabyte as redneck trucker reading that post.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
Now if only they would do something about that grill.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
A car that gets awesome gas mileage that doesn't suffer from offensively bad design?  Not bad.

Once my car goes to shit in the next 2-3 years, I hope these types of cars become the norm.
🍆🍆

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
A car that gets awesome gas mileage that doesn't suffer from offensively bad design?  Not bad.

It looks like they expect you to pick it up and shave with that thing.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
It's pretty interesting that what we think of as an "efficient" mileage for a car could double in about a decade.  The thing the Fusion is that those VW Polo Blue Motion's already get a little higher mileage.  Those are smaller cars though and obviously diesel isn't as common in the US so the Fusion is probably the best option.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i adore my not-so-efficient 09 ford fusion
duc

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I was customizing a focus hybrid on ford's site with a 6-speed manual, SYNC, Sony sound, and AWD. The AWD might knock a couple MPG off but it's almost a must to have a AWD vehicle in upstate NY during the winter months. I submitted it for a quote and was called 45 minutes later to set up an appointment with the Ford dealer near me. I postponed it though til my wife and I decide who's car is getting traded in. But I definately like the 2010 Focus with these options.
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

You mean Fusion right?

Are you sure you can get the stick shift with the hybrid?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
You mean Fusion right?

Are you sure you can get the stick shift with the hybrid?
:duh

Ya, I meant Fusion. Manual cheeseburger's are cheaper and tend to get better milage depending how you drive it. I'm more interested in how much downshifting would effect how the braking system recharges the battery since braking would be used much less when coming to a stop.
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

I'm pretty sure the hybrid is available only as an automatic. I don't think a hybrid can function properly if the computer doesn't have that greater degree of control.

Yea, it's auto only. No AWD either.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:30:49 PM by AdmiralViscen »

Brehvolution

YOur right now that I finally got their page to load for me. 2G2D indeed.

There is now manual OR AWD option. :-\
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

Fuck AWD in FWD cars

Brehvolution

I get snow and have a 30 minute(mostly highway) commute each way to my job. I had an AWD Subaru Legacy for a while and they do very well in the snow.

But the hybrid the way I want it is too rich for me. It woud triple my current payment as well.
©ZH

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
Damn, I want this car.
HLR

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
Damn, I want this car.

Get your college to buy you that too.
UK

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
In Ford we trust, bitches. I hope to get a Mustang soon.  :-*

ferrarimanf355

And hey, Carl kept this Fusion shiny side up this time!  :-*

[youtube=560,345]QDUDd-sTwws[/youtube]

Andowsky

Holy shit, that view from Dale Jr's car was amazing  :lol

ferrarimanf355

Holy shit, that view from Dale Jr's car was amazing  :lol
There were a few injuries in the stands- one woman had her jaw shattered like glass- but nobody was killed, thank GOD.  :o