Author Topic: Borecast Episode 9: Britcoms, Moody Vampires, Meta Serial Killers, and Wyoming  (Read 5792 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
direct link -  http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast9.mp3

We're not late. You guys are just early.

Step into the Wayback Machine and travel into the misty memories of Monday with Doug, Kevin, and our Special Guests Eric and Janet as we take look at British Sitcoms, discuss the nauseatingly pretty vampires of Twilight, announce the winner of our Killzone 2 contest, and take a sloppy virtual tour of the Equality State!

Segment One: *Obligatory Monty Python Reference*

We provide some suggestions for underappreciated Britcoms you might be interested in checking out. Yes, we probably forgot to mention your favorite show.

Segment Two: Chicks Dig Pale, Sparkly Skin

(38:35) Janet provides Doug, Eric, and Kevin with a female perspective on the phenomenon of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight franchise, and explains why chicks dig it. We also discuss the differences between the book and the movie. Yes, the guys had to watch the Twilight movie.

Segment Three: Nick's Reviews

(1:05:10) Nick reviews the indie horror film Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon!

Segment Four: It All Falls Apart

(1:10:21) First we read your entries in the Killzone 2 contest and announce the winner - then Eric, the creator of the Indefensible! segment, provides us with a slow-motion train wreck as he throws Doug for a loop with one simple word. We even tried to help him out!

Also, new contest for a copy of the Nintendo DS game Super Robot Taisen! Listen to the segment for the creepy entry requirement.

Look for Borecast BonusCast #2 next Wednesday!
sup

Rman

Eric P.  Yeah boy.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Robo

Wooo, just in time for some highway driving!
obo

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Enl

Whew, just in time. I was starting to get the shakes. Sounds like a good assortment of topics too!
mmm

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
eric has such a handsome voice :heartbeat
duc

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Congrats to Tehjaybo!

Sorry, Eel, for my long entry.  I didn't think it would take you that long to read it.  You did a great job of reading it though. 

eric has such a handsome voice :heartbeat

So does Mrs Prole.  You're a lucky dude.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
nah, i liked it, i was just kidding

just so you know, had you not told me to ignore your first entry, you would have won
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
also eric's voice makes me wet
sup

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
The irony!

Oh well, I wouldn't have wanted to win with such a crappy entry. 

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
i literally had a two page long list of british comedies i wanted to cover
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
fuck i hate my voice

*deleting*
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
great fucking intro drop though and editing

thank you for making us all sound competent!
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
:bow :bow eel o'brian :bow2 :bow2
duc

cool breeze

Peep Show needs at least one mention.  It would be even better if you guys talked about Johnson.

border

Great to finally see this episode released.  In honor of the occasion, I'm going to liveblog it:

1:30 - Wait, who is this 3rd guy that is talking?  Maybe they introduced him and I just wasn't paying attention.  Oh well, no point in rewinding to find out...

2:00 - Doug's wife is named Janet.  I wonder.....does he ever tell her, "Dammit, Janet I love you!" ?  If so, how long before it started to annoy the hell out of her?

2:30 - Way to give your wife the crappy mike, Doug.  That'll show her who's boss!

6:38 - Doug really hates Mr. Bean?  Is he serious or just slightly contrarian?  I don't think it's the pinnacle of comedy or anything, but it's certainly not some subpar abomination.

12:48 - Wow, someone else remembers Not Necessarily the News?  Weird!  Wasn't that kinda like a Kilborn-era Daily Show?

17:00 - Much love for Coupling, and much hate for the US version.  Maybe my memory is just rose-tinted, but I thought the US version was pretty good.  At least I liked the episodes that had original scripts, not the ones that adapted the UK scripts.

37:40 - Britcom segment ending and I'm sorry that Red Dwarf wasn't mentioned, though maybe it was too obvious a choice (though you could say the same about AbFab).

42:15 - I really don't think Stephen King gives a shit about Stephanie Meyers/Twilight.  When you've had the sort of longevity that he has, I don't think a dimestore romance involving "vampires" can even be seen as encroaching on your territory.  When asked about her stuff he was pretty dismissive, but that's probably because she really isn't even a horror writer.  It's like asking Tom Wolfe ("I Am Charlotte Simmons") what he thinks of the Sweet Valley High novels.

51:00 - Kinda interesting hearing Janet talk about Jacob in Twilight.  If Edward is the irresistible bad-boy, what is Jacob (the werewolf)?  The pathetic "Just a friend" guy that listens to your troubles but never even gets romantic consideration?  If he's ultimately rejected, what is the message here?  The primary discussion around Twilight seems to be its role as abstinence propaganda, and that was not really adressed either.

1:06:00 - Sorry to hear that Bloodwake hates the entirety of the indie horror scene.  Has he seen "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane"?  While it doesn't really stray too far from the formula he complains about (which was a Hollywood convention rather than an indie convention), it's got some interesting twists and nuances.  Behind The Mask is cool, though if you've done any academic reading on horror (particularly some of the feminist dissections about "Survivor Girls") it just feels like a more highbrow version of Scream.

1:30:00 - Wyoming was a pretty good topic for "Indefensible".  Kevin's read on the situation ("This was sorta like watching my dad stagger around drunk") made it all worthwhile.  Doug's challenge is enticing -- I hope to hear him defend Alabama in the near future.

1:34:30 - Closing music is 70's jazz fusion.  None of jazz's rhythm, none of the 70's funk - the worst of all worlds.  God help us all.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:55:26 AM by border »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
It's "Watermelon Man" by Herbie Hancock.  I prefer pre-1965 Jazz, myself, but I do like that particular tune.
sup

drew

• sy
ericp's voice :lol

for a minute i thought i was listening to npr

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
bloodwake
sup

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Wait, then who is Finkel?
brb

Eric P

• Icon
It's "Watermelon Man" by Herbie Hancock.  I prefer pre-1965 Jazz, myself, but I do like that particular tune.

hard bop 4 lyfe
Tonya

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
someone list the brit-coms so i can critique their selections
itm

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
:bow Mrs. Prole

My wife loves Ab Fab

I lol'd when she said "Let me finish". I wonder how many times Prole has heard that :teehee
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:29:51 AM by Kestastrophe »
jon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
listen again, you can hear him laughing lightly, it is a laugh of familiarity

janet is awesome, as far as i am concerned she is a regular

Wait, then who is Finkel?

who?
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
finkel is einhorn, DUDE
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i dunno who that is, either :(
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
nevermind, haven't seen that movie in years, missed the reference
sup

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
nevermind, haven't seen that movie in years, missed the reference

:lol

Your confusion was delicious.
brb

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
 :lol :lol :lol

Sorry, I did get you two mixed.  Me and names...   :-\ smh
HURR

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Ab Fab fucking rocks
:9

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Prole has such an awesome voice, I want to kill him and wear his throat.
Drunk

BobFromPikeCreek

The Killzone entries were surprisingly funny.  :lol

Edit: Body Count shout out.  :lol
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:48:15 PM by BobFromPikeCreek »
zzzzz

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I stick by my "LARPing Fallout 3 in Wyoming" statement:

sup

Rman

Best episode yet.  I really think the 3 to 4 person format creates a better back and forth dynamic.  Janet and Eric were great, especially given the fact that this was their first appearance on the podcast.  And, Eric, you have a great voice, man. 

E-DuB

You guys read my comment on air!!!!

:-[

:bow Eel :bow2
:bow Prole :bow2

Listening now...kudos on the Brit Comedy segment 

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
Janet is awesome.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Great guest appearance, but I thought Orson Welles died 25 years ago.

Oblivion

Great guest appearance, but I thought Orson Welles died 25 years ago.

He did. But then he was reincarnated as Unicron by Michael Bay.