Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3590382 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36000 on: November 28, 2020, 06:33:43 AM »
Now try 4 :rash
🤴

daycru

« Reply #36001 on: November 28, 2020, 06:39:51 AM »
GTA V never got an Xbox One X patch, looks like shit on my Series X. Red Dead 2 however  :itagaki

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36002 on: November 28, 2020, 06:42:18 AM »
Now try 4 :rash

Ive already finished 4 but its way better optimized so it should run even better
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36003 on: November 28, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
Finished COD: Black Ops Cold War

Well, one in 3 endings I suppose.
game ending spoilers
In the end I couldn't help myself, killed the team and launched the nukes :rash
[close]

Really enjoyed it, wish it was a bit longer I'm a sucker for the 80's aesthetic.

Played some multiplayer and murdered scores of camping fools with the RC-Car :rash
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36004 on: November 28, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
When you thought you beat hades but he has a 2nd phase  :tocry

Also fucked up my build by buying the +2 random upgrades -1 you have which replaced my best one  :snoop

Also also went through too many of the optional chambers in styx which just suck with the poison rats

Well, if you got there then you should be able to do it again and make more progress. That's like the whole loop of the genre. You've got this.

Bebpo

« Reply #36005 on: November 28, 2020, 02:17:11 PM »
I've had too much Watchdogs Legion on the brain as I'm burning through it during this thanksgiving holiday trying to finish it up before my uplay+ one month sub runs out next week.

Woke up thinking about how to fix the game on the gameplay-side. Because it's clearly a game where a lot of the pieces are there, but something went seriously wrong during development and it's just missing the core of making the gameplay work and not being a shallow repetitive piece of shit (btw, Edge just gave Valhalla an 8 and Legion a 5, so it's not just har har Ubi sandbox games are like this; Legion is really fundementally lacking core design systems in a way none of their other games are [plus it's the most unfinished buggy game they've put out and this is after a 6 month delay]).

Here is what I came up with this morning:

Active Squads

What if you'd select 3 characters at a time to be in your active squad and can instantly change between them with a button? And they all had passive abilities and each job class was more unique since they didn't have to be solo-able for any mission?

Example - Bank Heist

(Team: Disguise master - Hacker - Heavy)
Passive abilities for having the character in your active squad (Disguise - 25% reduced awareness in red areas; Hacker - everyone can do basic hacks while Hacker is in party; Heavy - everyone takes 25% reduced damage while in party)

1. Disguise character puts on bank/security disguise and walks through initial checkpoint, gets where team needs to be.

2. Switch to hacker, hacker fires off spider-bots and drones and grabs security keys and does what's needed to hack into the vault.

3. UH OH, ALARM IS OFF, ENEMY WAVES INCOMING, hacker engineers a couple of standing turrets and switches to the Heavy, a heavy armored unit with a giant bulletproof shield he can put on his back to stop rear damage or set down and use as moveable cover. He also has a big gun. Use the shield cover + turrets + big gun to fight off enemy waves.

4. Make an exit - If you had a getaway driver, switch to them and instantly pull up a getaway car and drive off undetectable. Got too much heat going on and have a Transient? Switch to them and blend into the crowd to lose heat.

Also...there's your 3 player co-op mode. Every player can pick a character that brings something unique to the table and working as team you pull off missions together. For Vs. can be team vs team deathmatch or objective based.

Like that would work so well with the base they have. It makes so much more sense to have an active team of three so you're not limited to just using the same couple of people and gadgets. Would also make a lot more classes useful because they could bring something to the table.

Also, go a step further and give each class type an ability tree (construction workers, street performers, etc...) and have the class level up the more you use them. Unlock new active/passive abilities.

Plus more achievement/completionist stuff there with unlock all abilities for all classes (also incentives for using every class).

Ok, now hire me Ubisoft. For the right salary I'm open to switching careers  :ryker

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36006 on: November 28, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
Those are some great ideas. A nice blend between GTAV and Watch Dogs.

What surprises me is that after GTAV not more games copied the same way to switch protagonists.
Imagine a Resident Evil game where you could switch between Leon, Claire or Ada on the fly or BOTW DLC where you could switch between the different champions at any time.
Even a COD game with multiple soldiers could work. It seems like a fun mechanic, yet no one has decided to implement it.

A no brainer for The Avengers too.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36007 on: November 28, 2020, 06:54:36 PM »
Ok, so I gave up on Legion and uninstalled it and watched the rest of the cutscenes. Can't remember the last game I've done that. Wasn't hard or anything, just there was still another 6-7 hours of missions that bring nothing new (and nothing had been new in the previous 20 hours) and I'd rather move on and use my gaming time on something else. Like...going for a drive & a walk.

When I was watching the ending cutscene clips youtube recommended a video of Watchdogs 2 cutscene moments and I started watching that and yeah, Watchdogs 2 is 1000x better game than Legion. Having an actual cast that's developed and a storyline and a way better tone than the grimdark Legion shit, driving missions, actual hills and landscape to run around, etc...

I feel like we got Watchdogs Legion because a lot of people backlashed about W2's tone. Legion is pretty close to being a horror game, just dystopian fucked up grimworld but with goofy masks and a goofy AI buddy talking to you the whole time. Bleh. I enjoyed Bagley the AI, but the rest of the cast (not that there were many) was w/e.

Before I uninstall Uplay+ I figured I'd check out a few more Ubi games I skipped.

I tried Far Cry 5. I loved Far Cry 4 but FC5 had pretty bad reviews and word of mouth so skipped it. Man, playing the intro...that's a shame. An AAA game set in rural America fighting a religious GUNS, GOD & FREEDOM cult in a doomsday scenario is right up my alley. I played a bit on the starting island the gameplay seemed so-so afterwards though. What was the main stuff people didn't like about FC5? Was the story any good?

Installed AC Odyssey now. Not planning on playing it any time soon since I'm playing Valhalla, but interested to at least give it an hour and check it out since I played Origins and playing Valhalla now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36008 on: November 28, 2020, 06:57:37 PM »
I've actually never played a Watch Dogs game or anything related to Far Cry since Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which is a great game in its own right.
FC5 I contemplated about picking up during a sale but I'm not really sure if I'm looking for another Ubisoft jobs map right now and if I did I'd probably go for Assassins Creed Valhalla instead or continue my playthrough of Origins.

Legions seems like something i could enjoy, mostly for the Ray Tracing being used in an open world and the John Wick killer class.
Probably not something I would finish though so I'll just wait until it hits GamePass, which looking at the sales it already got won't be too far away.

Day 1 buys nowadays are the big Nintendo releases (they don't drop anyway), Capgod, multiplayer time sinks like COD and the big ones like Cyberpunk.
I don't see much of a reason to buy most Ubisoft or EA etc. games at release considering they will be cheaper, patched and more completed less than 3 months after release.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 07:04:39 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36009 on: November 28, 2020, 07:03:38 PM »
I thought FC4 was really good but that was because I didn't play FC3. Everyone who played FC3 just thought it was more of the same.

The Tibet setting with nice usage of colors and rock climbing mechanics and mystical Tibetan lore worlds was pretty cool. Was a very vertical environment which let you do a lot of fun parachuting into bases and stuff. It was almost Assassin's Creed-ish Far Cry with the world exploration and traversal climbing. I like the FC concept, just want to play the good ones. If FC6 is good I'll play it.

Watchdogs is weird because Watchdogs 1 wasn't very good and was too dark, too serious B- GTA4 ripoff. Then Watchdogs 2 came out and it was colorful and hip and more like a GTAV alternative and was good as exactly that, GTAV if you are done with GTAV and want something similar but different. Then Legion is just trying to be experimental base infiltration game and generally failing.

Bebpo

« Reply #36010 on: November 28, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »
I've actually never played a Watch Dogs game or anything related to Far Cry since Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which is a great game in its own right.
FC5 I contemplated about picking up during a sale but I'm not really sure if I'm looking for another Ubisoft jobs map right now and if I did I'd probably go for Assassins Creed Valhalla instead or continue my playthrough of Origins.

Legions seems like something i could enjoy, mostly for the Ray Tracing being used in an open world and the John Wick killer class.
Probably not something I would finish though so I'll just wait until it hits GamePass, which looking at the sales it already got won't be too far away.

Day 1 buys nowadays are the big Nintendo releases (they don't drop anyway), Capgod, multiplayer time sinks like COD and the big ones like Cyberpunk.
I don't see much of a reason to buy most Ubisoft or EA etc. games at release considering they will be cheaper, patched and more completed less than 3 months after release.

Legion is probably worth playing on something like game pass for like 5 hours for the RTX at night and in the rain. Gameplay never goes anywhere after about 5 hours.

For the $15 I spent to play it on Uplay+ I don't mind the price, though I do mind the waste of time it was.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36011 on: November 28, 2020, 07:09:14 PM »
For me that's most Ubi games unless they really grab me like Odyssey or Origins
Deep down inside I know it's just another Ubisoft game but I just get carried away in the story and characters and want to invest in that to a point that I don't care it's an Ubi game and can look past the flaws and repetition.

FC3... I vaguely remember tipping my toes into that too but just spending much more time on Blood Dragon.
Man, I really want Blood Dragon 2 that was my jam.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36012 on: November 28, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
Probably the most impressive RTX I saw in Legion was this:

The pillar was reflecting the outside world from the glass door. I'd see people walk by and cars drive by and it was crazy.

Other nice stuff was like seeing the light from the outside reflect off the floor tiles or come inside an indoor place:

RTX doesn't always show well in screens, but stuff like that in motion is pretty crazy. Legion runs well now too on PC.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36013 on: November 28, 2020, 07:21:16 PM »
The best Far Cry is Blood Dragon.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36014 on: November 28, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »
Probably the most impressive RTX I saw in Legion was this:

(Image removed from quote.)

The pillar was reflecting the outside world from the glass door. I'd see people walk by and cars drive by and it was crazy.

Other nice stuff was like seeing the light from the outside reflect off the floor tiles or come inside an indoor place:

RTX doesn't always show well in screens, but stuff like that in motion is pretty crazy. Legion runs well now too on PC.
Awesome, RTX doesn't click until you finally see and experience it for yourself in motion.
For me that moment was CONTROL.
When you realize that the reflections and shadows aren't pre-baked and 100% accurate.... :neo

That's weird about the new COD they lean in heavily on reflections but they only use ray tracing for shadows and screen space reflections for Adlers sun glasses and other stuff.
It's hard to even see the difference between enabling and disabling the ray tracing features. Except less crashes and a 40fps performance bump on average  :doge
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 07:31:40 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36015 on: November 28, 2020, 10:27:29 PM »
Since I liked the intro to Far Cry 5 but no real intention of playing through it, I watched the boss cutscenes/ending and a bit of New Dawn/ending stuff and uhhh...well that was a weird era of Far Cry storytelling.

Like it's interesting and ambitious even if it looks like the narrative just kinda flounders around for most of the game. I had the FC5 ending spoiled years ago since the New Dawn trailers start with the ending of FC5. Kind wish I had played FC5 at release and gotten to that without spoilers. Definitely something.

And the boss fights and scenes...Far Cry 5's narrative/set piece stuff feels closest to Metal Gear Solid in the weird melodramatic supernatural bosses. Like FC4 had some weird mystical stuff, but otherwise was pretty grounded for the main story. I played FC1/2 and those were pretty normal too and I hear FC3 is pretty normal outside drug trips. But FC5 goes like full MGS wacky.

New Dawn seems pretty stupid though and just to do something with the ending and wrap up loose ties. I think if I'd played FC5 at release I'd have been pissed in the ending for FC5 in that

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You don't kill the bad guy of the game in FC5
[close]

Still, they went so far out with FC5 & New Dawn, now I wonder how they can roll back with FC6 to something more "normal". I'm surprised there's still zero gameplay footage from FC6 since it was originally supposed to be out in a couple months. I'm noticing that a lot lately, starting with Legion & Valhalla, that Ubisoft is not showing any gameplay stuff until a month or two before release. Guess they don't want people bitching about pre-release footage looking bad like Halo Infinite's showcase and such.

But definitely curious about what FC6 is going to play like.

The best Far Cry is Blood Dragon.

I actually didn't like Blood Dragon. I played it after FC4 and I enjoy the aesthetic but I didn't enjoy the gameplay much and bailed pretty quick. Most people love it though, so just didn't click with me.

« Reply #36016 on: November 28, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
Ok, I really like Hyrule Warriors AOC. Despite one of the DUMBEST stories in a Zelda game, it's still really good. The way the map is laid out with all your available quests and merchants easily available is nice too. Feels good to just clear out a region or hunt for specific materials for upgrades. The whole thing makes me nostalgic for BOTW. Gonna replay that next  :heartbeat

Bebpo

« Reply #36017 on: November 29, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »
Also with Far Cry 5's ending

Like what the fuck at the narrative where the end of world religion dudes who were ya know, mind controlling, torturing, maiming, killing everyone were right all along and the guy is treated as a sympathetic protagonist in New Dawn.

Meanwhile the writers are all "we're not trying to make any statements or say anything meaningful. WACKY FUN!!"

Like I'm torn between thinking it just feels like they were trying to be stylish Kojima edgy for edgy sake, or whether it was fresh and original and clever. I mean say what you will, but in the AAA Western space, having the story of an FPS shooter be that is...pretty out there.

Definitely sad I missed the discussion at the time of what a fuck the FC5 story is.
[close]

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #36018 on: November 29, 2020, 01:16:22 AM »
Well, if you got there then you should be able to do it again and make more progress. That's like the whole loop of the genre. You've got this.

Did it two attempts later on #14 thx for the encouragement bb  :-*

Freyj

« Reply #36019 on: November 29, 2020, 03:53:07 AM »
Playing some more CS4, just finished the section where you go to Alster and the Osgilliath (heh) Basin. ~25h in.

Freyj - how long did CS4 take you?

Late but around 80-90 hours with probably 80% of the sidequests?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36020 on: November 29, 2020, 04:11:01 AM »
Also with Far Cry 5's ending

Like what the fuck at the narrative where the end of world religion dudes who were ya know, mind controlling, torturing, maiming, killing everyone were right all along and the guy is treated as a sympathetic protagonist in New Dawn.

Meanwhile the writers are all "we're not trying to make any statements or say anything meaningful. WACKY FUN!!"

Like I'm torn between thinking it just feels like they were trying to be stylish Kojima edgy for edgy sake, or whether it was fresh and original and clever. I mean say what you will, but in the AAA Western space, having the story of an FPS shooter be that is...pretty out there.

Definitely sad I missed the discussion at the time of what a fuck the FC5 story is.
[close]

I'm glad they went into a more grey area with this game, cause writing for either side makes them look like garbage writers.

Watch_Dogs 2 had pastiches of Trump, the racism debate and more. It handled all of them in the worst fucking way possible.

I still can't get over the token black friend that complained about white privilige and shit whilst working at the game's version of Google. Storywise they would be in the right to treat him like shit, since he was actually a thug. He literally steals info and makes another guy take the fall for something he did. They then later kill off that character and in the ending where the rest of the crew reflects on the events of the story they don't even mention the dude again.

Why even mention any of this shit if you're not going to actually explore the themes.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36021 on: November 29, 2020, 04:49:56 AM »
From what Ive seen id rather be playing Odyssey than Valhalla but 🤷🏼‍♂️
What

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #36022 on: November 29, 2020, 04:53:57 AM »
Paradise Killer FUCKS

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36023 on: November 29, 2020, 05:01:13 AM »
I still don't get why people like Odyssey, it felt like Origins but made by the b-team. It looked worse, it played worse and it had a load more filler.

Valhalla feels closer to Origins again.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36024 on: November 29, 2020, 05:40:51 AM »
The npc's are just annoying in Origins with their same voicelines every 5 minutes

keregh this and that

Also ancient greece in its hayday > Egypt not in its hayday
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36025 on: November 29, 2020, 12:41:53 PM »
Watch Dog3s isn’t even worth it at 50% off, game sucks. :snore

Yakuza LAD rules tho. The summon attacks. :rejoice
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36026 on: November 29, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #36027 on: November 29, 2020, 02:46:05 PM »
I need to take better screenshots, because at times this game can look pretty good.

But if your into Jrpgs and can handle stuff like Tales, you really should check out Guijan 3.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ohgyvz9

Bebpo

« Reply #36028 on: November 29, 2020, 10:35:27 PM »
So I finally tried Fallout 4 in the PS+ collection. I hate Bethesda games and Fallout 3 is ok at best w/mods (all I remember from F3 was the starting nuketown and the liberty prime stuff at the end). Plus word of mouth wasn't great for F4 outside the combat.

But like...I enjoyed the beginning stuff I tried in F4? Like I don't really care if there's not much roleplaying or stats and it's more an exploration/loot/shooter. Outer Worlds had tons of stats and stat check dialogue but the world was boring as shit and the combat mindnumbingly awful. The first hour or two of F4 seemed better than Outer Worlds.

Anyhow the joke of this post is I was like "well since PS4/PS5 version is 30fps and barely any mods I'll just wait until it's on-sale on PC" and then I picked up the GoTY edition with Far Harbor and the other DLCs for $20 last night on steam sale. Spent like an hour Installing it today and setting up nexus mod manager and some basic mods like seeing full dialogue choices and unlocking FPS beyond 60fps and fixing physics issues tied with that and HD textures and stuff.

...and then it crashed 10 mins into the intro to desktop -_-

You know, maybe I should've saved the $20 and just played the PS4 BC version at 30fps.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36029 on: November 30, 2020, 02:08:47 AM »
 :point

Be a real gamer! Purchase it at next-to-nothing and then still complain when it arrives as a PS Plus or Epic freebie.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36030 on: November 30, 2020, 04:24:27 AM »
Shouldve skipped entirely fallout ,4 is asss
What

« Reply #36031 on: November 30, 2020, 10:11:45 AM »
Beat Hyrule Warriors AOC. It's really good, even if you don't usually like these type of games. A surprisingly big roster and tons of variety in move-sets and everyone has their own gimmicks. Like the timing of combos and different meters for each character. Like Impa can make duplicates that upgrade her specials and Urbosa has a lightning meter that she charges up with R and it makes her strong attacks lightning charged. Even the Sheikah slate powers are all unique. I'm going to play some more on the harder difficulties and unlock the last few characters before I start up BOTW again.

Bebpo

« Reply #36032 on: November 30, 2020, 01:21:16 PM »

What are the main issues with it? I read some reviews after playing the beginning and all the negative reviews basically seemed to say:

-No blank slate main character and oh no they talk (I don't see either of these as negative)
-No skills or skill checks, only perks (lame, but as an rpg-lite shooter I can live with this. Perks are the best part of these games in terms of character build anyhow)
-Main storyline is boring/bland (well I mean that sounds exactly like main storyline in F3 but it had some fun questing/exploration)
-Oh and PAID MODS HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING FU BETHESDA (eh, all the free mods seem same as always?)
-No real character choices; if someone asks you to do something, every answer is a variation of yes; no karma system/factions (bummer, but again, as a linear shooter in the Fallout world I can live with that; not like Bethesda has ever made good choice and repercussions; never expected any karma/factions from them; that's Obsidian/Black Isle's thing and way beyond Bethesda talent ability)

Whereas the positives seem to be like:

-Good combat
-Good graphics/art

And middleground stuff seems to be like:

-World is ok, some good quests/exploration/nothing special, Far Harbor supposed to be the most interesting location

Which all sounds ok if you just want to run around a Fallout environment questing, looting and shooting stuff? I mean I'm not expecting anything quality like New Vegas. But I enjoy the Fallout world setting and after Outer Worlds being a let down would enjoy something more interesting in this kind of setting.

Beat Hyrule Warriors AOC. It's really good, even if you don't usually like these type of games. A surprisingly big roster and tons of variety in move-sets and everyone has their own gimmicks. Like the timing of combos and different meters for each character. Like Impa can make duplicates that upgrade her specials and Urbosa has a lightning meter that she charges up with R and it makes her strong attacks lightning charged. Even the Sheikah slate powers are all unique. I'm going to play some more on the harder difficulties and unlock the last few characters before I start up BOTW again.

Thanks for the write ups. Will definitely grab this when it's on-sale.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36033 on: November 30, 2020, 06:06:12 PM »
DOOM Eternal @ 120+ fps  8)

Even though I love this game I always play it wrong. I think the point is to keep the momentum going but I'm just too much of a Collector who wants to collect all the question marks on the map and beat all the hidden challenges.
Then it becomes more like a collectathon because there's just so much stuff to collect in this game it might as well be called Doomjo & Hayzooie. I should really set aside my item radar and just run through the levels and story first.  :doge

🤴

Hamarr

« Reply #36034 on: December 01, 2020, 02:16:26 AM »
I think I finished Watch Dogs Legion.  There is a post credit quest that I haven’t bothered with yet.  I got so burnt out on the side mission stuff that I hurried brought the main story line after finishing the uprising quests.

I started Valhalla a couple of days ago and it is okay. The setting wasn’t doing it for me until getting to England.  I’m seeing more bugs than with Legion so far.  I’ve had a couple of enemies slingshot into the sky after a heavy attack and there’s an enemy for a world event that won’t spawn for me. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36035 on: December 01, 2020, 03:05:53 AM »

What are the main issues with it? I read some reviews after playing the beginning and all the negative reviews basically seemed to say:

-No skills or skill checks, only perks (lame, but as an rpg-lite shooter I can live with this. Perks are the best part of these games in terms of character build anyhow)
-Main storyline is boring/bland (well I mean that sounds exactly like main storyline in F3 but it had some fun questing/exploration)
-Oh and PAID MODS HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING FU BETHESDA (eh, all the free mods seem same as always?)
-No real character choices; if someone asks you to do something, every answer is a variation of yes; no karma system/factions (bummer, but again, as a linear shooter in the Fallout world I can live with that; not like Bethesda has ever made good choice and repercussions; never expected any karma/factions from them; that's Obsidian/Black Isle's thing and way beyond Bethesda talent ability)

Whereas the positives seem to be like:

-Good combat
-Good graphics/art

And middleground stuff seems to be like:

-World is ok, some good quests/exploration/nothing special, Far Harbor supposed to be the most interesting location

Which all sounds ok if you just want to run around a Fallout environment questing, looting and shooting stuff? I mean I'm not expecting anything quality like New Vegas. But I enjoy the Fallout world setting and after Outer Worlds being a let down would enjoy something more interesting in this kind of setting.

Thanks for the write ups. Will definitely grab this when it's on-sale.

-No blank slate main character and oh no they talk (I don't see either of these as negative)

Why do you not see this as a negative? Besides the fact that only the woman is a viable choice because the voice acting is just so bland, they completely take away any form of roleplaying. If you want to fill in the backstory of your character it's not possible, in fact it's not even possible to switch the backstory of the husband and wife lmao. So if you play as the wife then you always are some law degree lady. Completely takes away the role playing aspect of the game imo.

-Main storyline is boring/bland

In Fallout 3 I at least had some buildup to the dad angle, beginning the game with it. I do think that it goes off the rails multiple times though (F3 as well as F4). But I had no motivation to find what I was looking for in Fallout 4. And when I did, it was like..what O_o. This is it? Lmao THIS IS IT? Fucking stupid.

-Oh and PAID MODS HAVE RUINED EVERYTHING FU BETHESDA

I dont fuck with paid mods but I think there are a ton of cool free mods

The dialogue wheel and overall conversations in this game is pure garbage. There are hardly any cool funny lines, in fact most of the time when you are being a smartass it's lame as hell because it's written so badly.
Every answer is a variation of yes/no/sarcasm but i'll do it anyway.

-Good combat
:heh

-Good graphics/art
:larry

-World is ok, some good quests/exploration/nothing special

There is barely anything interesting to discover in the entire world. Maybe the ghost house.
What

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #36036 on: December 01, 2020, 05:09:27 PM »
Nioh

I can't really tell if I like this game at all, but at the same time maybe it is great. The confusion is because, more than any game I can remember, it doesn't try to push you into playing an interesting style. I was using a ninja character (light armor, kunai, sickle + katana) and eventually realized that most (if not all) bosses can be defeated without much interaction by a combo of shuriken/kunai and living weapon. By far the most fun I had was the 2nd boss of the game (Hino-Enma) where I felt like I was making use of the game mechanics. High stance for the long range sickle attack, switching to low stand for faster dodges, but still needing decent reflexes for the quick attack patterns of the boss.

For almost everything else, I feel like it is a struggle trying to figure out how to make the really fun combat mechanics matter. Even if I avoid using the kunai/living weapon it usually ends up feeling like only one move is needed (maybe parry, maybe reaper, depending on the fight) and the attack patterns are usually not that interesting to dodge. But maybe if I did figure out the "right" way to fight each enemy it would be a masterpiece, like I thought it would be after Hino-Enma.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36037 on: December 01, 2020, 06:05:29 PM »
More Doom Eternal, managed to get some good progress.

I would say that what I assume is the second half of the game is better than the first half.
Faster paced, more action packed and lots of those 'Slayer doesn't give a fuck' moments.  :mynicca

Also that soundtrack :lawd
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36038 on: December 01, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
Hmmm, gonna try it out soon with it being on Game Pass. Reception seems to incredibly mixed on the combat I guess I'll just see what camp I fall into.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36039 on: December 01, 2020, 07:19:08 PM »
Hmmm, gonna try it out soon with it being on Game Pass. Reception seems to incredibly mixed on the combat I guess I'll just see what camp I fall into.
At the start of the game you're not very powerful and there's a sort of 'rock paper scissors' thing going on with elemental weaponry, you need to be much more mindful on how to manage ammo resources.
Later in the game you get some heavy equipment and other upgrades that allow you to blast and dodge your way through a difficult situation.

What Bethesda never quite gets right in their games is feedback that you are being hurt pretty badly.
You're blasting along, thinking you're doing fine and suddenly you die because of some one shot bullshit hit from a weak enemy.
Their Wolfensteins suffer from the same issue.

Other things some people didn't like outside of the progression system is the fact that there's a lot of platforming challenges in some of the levels.
I enjoy the creative level design and verticality myself but in that sense it also differs quite a bit from DOOM 2016, which only had minor environmental obstacles and was literally more grounded.
In DOOM Eternal you sometimes need to time your jumps to grab a wall, boost to the opposite side to reach another platform and evade Super Mario-like Lava bars in the process.
They made the game more complex, challenging and story driven and that makes it very different from DOOM 2016.
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #36040 on: December 01, 2020, 07:22:20 PM »
Doom Eternal haters can suck filler’s hog  ::)
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36041 on: December 01, 2020, 07:42:37 PM »
There's a special place in hell for them :rash
🤴

El Babua

« Reply #36042 on: December 01, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »
I like that id made both 2016 and Eternal distinct enough to warrant people heavily prefering one game over another. Love them both.

That said, it's very hard for me to go back to 2016.

Thankfully id decided to go the direction I wanted for the sequel. Idc about "Muh power fantasy" (which is still there on Normal if you decide to familiarize yourself with the mechanics, no need to even "git good").

I might write an essay about it during GOTY time, if I'm feeling up to it. But for me, Doom Eternal is up there with the best Japanese character action games when it comes to combat depth.

paprikastaude

« Reply #36043 on: December 02, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
There's a special place in hell for them :rash

I've already experienced hell when the game wouldn't let me shoot a single new enemy or boss without forcing me through tutorial videos first. :jeanluc

Bebpo

« Reply #36044 on: December 02, 2020, 01:17:23 AM »

Eh, I've seen both sides arguments and both seem valid.

Sounds like if you play it the way the game wants you to, it's a lot faster and fluid and intense action game like a character action game.

But it also almost becomes a scripted game because you are railroaded into playing a very specific way. Whereas 2016 is more free-form letting you make your own playstyle.

I honestly have no idea if I'll love it or hate it. Looking forward to trying it, but didn't want to pay $60 for it.

The description reminds me of Sega's Gunvalkyrie on Xbox. If you knew how to play it and played it right the game was awesome and intense, if you didn't you hated the game and it was not an easy learning curve.

Bebpo

« Reply #36045 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:31 AM »
I'm making my way through Sackboy: A Big Adventure and I think the 8/10 reviews (and Edge's 7/10) are pretty accurate.

It's a good lengthy platformer going for 100% on levels. If you spend 3-6 runs (~15-20 mins) on each level before moving on to get 100% it's challenging & pretty satisfying (I'm only about 20% through and have been 100%-ing everything and I've been cursing a lot and getting pretty rage-y at times; there's some tight ass shit in this already; I'm kinda afraid of the later levels).

The art, graphics and music and no loading is all real good. The level design is creative and fun.

I also appreciate that most levels are really short if you speedrun roll them. This is helpful if you do a slow run the first attempt to try to find all the secrets and get enough points for the gold trophy and then you can speedrun the one life run and any items you missed. A few levels are moving levels, which take longer and can be more frustrating when you die towards the end or fuck up and don't get your gold score towards the end, but most are succinct which is great.

The problem is that Sackboy doesn't feel great. He doesn't feel anything like LBP, but he's kind of slow and clunky and there's a lag in animations in combat which will kill you until you get the hang of it, his jump flutters and jump air dash roll don't feel smooth which will kill you on jumps until you get the hang of it and his roll is sloppy and that's killed me a few times rolling around a level (fastest speedrun movement) and trying to turn but the turn is sloppy and I roll off a cliff. You get used to it, but it just doesn't feel great like good 3d platformers feel.

The other problem, that I didn't expect from the game, is the camera angle kind of sucks. It's a weird top-down/isometric angle that can make directional movement, jumps, dodging enemies and objects and combat more difficult than it should be and easier to screw up. Like straight from the first world there are enemies that spin around with flames on their hand and you have to jump and land on the center of the spin which is their head. This center is moving since they are spinning around. Touching anywhere else kills you. Depending on the camera angle landing just right on top of their head in the center can be tough and if you're 3/4th through a level on a one life run and you misjudge the spot by a cm you can die and lose your run which is frustrating. Luckily you get 2 hits until you die and 1 hit is replenished every checkpoint which is very helpful. But I've still had dumb deaths from the camera a bunch and it's always frustrating and ends with me cursing.

So yeah, not great controls with not great camera drags what could've probably been a 9/10 great Astro's/Crash kind of platformer down to about an 8/10 and just makes it more frustrating than it should be here and there.

Also there's at least one level every stage that is locked behind multiplayer. This is currently bullshit! Because it keeps your from 100%-ing any world and with no online you have to do it local multiplayer and if you live alone fuck you. Apparently there was supposed to be an online mode but because Covid it got delayed and is expected soon-ish in December. Hopefully this comes out and is good and lets me enjoy the multiplayer levels and finish out my 100% in worlds. Hell, maybe even regular levels in MP would be fun. No idea, will try it when they patch it in.

Oh and there's a lot of costumes and costume pieces. It's a bummer you can't change costumes during a stage only on the world map, but it's fun making costumes. I read somewhere there's like 250 costumes (or maybe that's costume pieces so like 1/4th of that are full costumes) and yeah that's a lot!

Overall so far, I like it, but just wish I wasn't shouting at the game so much.

:derp

Tuckers Law

« Reply #36046 on: December 02, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
Cadence of Hyrule+DLC story done.  Fun game, good music.

El Babua

« Reply #36047 on: December 02, 2020, 03:41:31 PM »
But it also almost becomes a scripted game because you are railroaded into playing a very specific way. Whereas 2016 is more free-form letting you make your own playstyle.

I honestly have no idea if I'll love it or hate it. Looking forward to trying it, but didn't want to pay $60 for it.

While I agree that Eternal asks more from the player than 2016, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Eternal is way more freeflowing than 2016 by absolute miles. id fucked up by having tutorials at all if they so poorly conveyed the game's combat to so many players. Any of the tutorials the game presented in how to defeat an enemy was basically a suggestion from the devs - moreso than the most effective, or only way to defeat an enemy. Almost every single enemy in Eternal can be killed in seconds, even with a controller - and there's usually at least 3-4 viable ways to do so at any moment with a fully kitted doomslayer.

The game requires the player to internalize its mechanics moreso than the average game does, particularly in terms of resource management. I feel that's the biggest barrier for players coming from 2016, but it becomes second nature - and at least for me - slid perfectly into the rhythm of combat. Once you get the hang of resource management, weapon switching, equipment use, and exploiting enemy weaknesses - a whole new world opens up. It doesn't help that there's mechanics on top of that - with meat hooks, blood punches, crucibles and runes. I can see it being very overwhelming/annoying for a first time player, or from someone who preferred the simpler approach in 2016.

If you don't care about spoilers, here's a dude going through a Master Level (new enemy layout from base game level) with a controller. Feels like I'm watching expert DMC gameplay lol

Bebpo

« Reply #36048 on: December 02, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
The weird thing is my memories of 2016 was that it was pretty resource management heavy compared to most FPS games? Like you had to use chainsaw/glory kills to get life/armor/ammo?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #36049 on: December 02, 2020, 04:31:59 PM »
Just started Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm going into this expecting a C+ Mass Effect adventure but so far I'm enjoying it.

El Babua

« Reply #36050 on: December 02, 2020, 04:46:11 PM »
The weird thing is my memories of 2016 was that it was pretty resource management heavy compared to most FPS games? Like you had to use chainsaw/glory kills to get life/armor/ammo?

Yeah, chainsaw for ammo plus flamethrower for armor very often compared to how it was even in 2016

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36051 on: December 02, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
Just started Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm going into this expecting a C+ Mass Effect adventure but so far I'm enjoying it.

It's a decent game that was kind of a mess at launch [but a few things got smoothed out with patches].
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36052 on: December 02, 2020, 06:20:57 PM »
I also liked it more than I expected when I got it on the Xbox One X about 2 years after release. I managed to do a sort of 'completionist' run.
It took them a while to patch it to this current state and it didn't age very well visually but it's Mass Effect :idont

I think what hurt it the most is that Mass Effect: Andromeda still had a lot in common with Mass Effect 3 and didn't feel as innovative as say Witcher 3 in its quest design.
The ideas they had for Andromedia like procedural generated planets were cut so it mostly remained the same thing.
Then when it released it went up against Nier Automata and Breath of the Wild and those games were polished to perfection. So in comparison Andromeda just felt sloppy.

My DOOM Eternal playthrough is nearing its completion. Some of these late game encounters are nuts  :whew
I checked the diffculty and I'm playing on Ultra Violence
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 06:25:05 PM by Nintex »
🤴

kingv

« Reply #36053 on: December 02, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »

While I agree that Eternal asks more from the player than 2016, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Eternal is way more freeflowing than 2016 by absolute miles. id fucked up by having tutorials at all if they so poorly conveyed the game's combat to so many players. Any of the tutorials the game presented in how to defeat an enemy was basically a suggestion from the devs - moreso than the most effective, or only way to defeat an enemy. Almost every single enemy in Eternal can be killed in seconds, even with a controller - and there's usually at least 3-4 viable ways to do so at any moment with a fully kitted doomslayer.

The game requires the player to internalize its mechanics moreso than the average game does, particularly in terms of resource management. I feel that's the biggest barrier for players coming from 2016, but it becomes second nature - and at least for me - slid perfectly into the rhythm of combat. Once you get the hang of resource management, weapon switching, equipment use, and exploiting enemy weaknesses - a whole new world opens up. It doesn't help that there's mechanics on top of that - with meat hooks, blood punches, crucibles and runes. I can see it being very overwhelming/annoying for a first time player, or from someone who preferred the simpler approach in 2016.

If you don't care about spoilers, here's a dude going through a Master Level (new enemy layout from base game level) with a controller. Feels like I'm watching expert DMC gameplay lol

Some of this I don’t even understand how he’s killing the enemies so fast

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36054 on: December 03, 2020, 04:11:12 AM »
Theres only one good DOOM
And thats MF DOOM
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #36055 on: December 03, 2020, 06:28:11 PM »
Noooo you can't interfere with all creation and destroy the icon of whatever blah blah

HAHAHA MINIGUN GOES BRRRRR

Final level now, much was ripped and teared shit's intense :whew
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #36056 on: December 04, 2020, 01:03:31 AM »
Kinda over the new system launch play a billion games hype. In the last few weeks an insane # of games have come out between the new consoles, game pass, new releases, steam sale.

Back to just playing a couple things at a time.

Sackboy - Already wrote about it a few posts back. Getting through a couple levels a night.

Kingdom Hearts - Melody of Memory - About midway or 2/3rds in. It's ok. I went back to Theaterhythm Curtain Call on 3DS and it's like 100x better game. Part of it though is how do you go from Curtain Call with songs from like a dozen+ games by dozen+ different artists in all sorts of genre & style over 30 years, picking the best of the best tracks from each game (plus non-FF music like TWEWY or Romancing Saga and Xenogears and Chrono Cross) to like a KH Music game that's all just Shimomura KH music from a decade or so of KH. There's some great tracks in there, but 150 KH tracks? Yeah....there's a lot of filler forgettable stuff that all sounds the same and is like C-tier Shimomura. You basically play through a bunch of filler tracks between every good/great track.

Disgaea 5 - Almost done with the story! I like this a lot. It reminds me of a watching 90s anime that are like 52 episodes long and pretty by the book. Like it's just going through the motions and it pretty long, but in bite sizes it is very enjoyable. The gameplay has some interesting new ideas but overall because you break everything it's kind idk. Today I saw my first Japanese "万" icon for damage which means over 10,000 damage and only shows when you're one digit above, so 100,000+ damage. I don't think I've ever seen damage that high in a Disgaea game before since I don't do the extreme stuff beyond lvl.100-300 or so. But with buffs I'm getting 26,000 ATK right now with my lead and doing a duo special attack with a +100% damage modifier, yeah lotta damage. Fun stuff.

Probably finish all 3 of these this weekend.

Bebpo

« Reply #36057 on: December 04, 2020, 03:17:17 AM »
One reason I think Disgaea 5 works so much better than my memories of D4 is I remember D4 started making the cutscenes every map super.fucking.long

Like 15 mins of nonsense just to do a map and then 15 mins of nonsense at the end of the map. Really burnt me out.

In Disgaea 5 they dropped the story cutscenes back to older Disgaea cutscene length and instead chopped out the goofy character skits/character development into separate Tales style optional skits at the base between maps. This works so.much.better. The skits are funny and only a minute or two long and over the length of the game add the extra character development needed to make the main cast work while the main story stuff hits the core bits. I really like the way they did the skits.

Also while I guess it was in Dis4? Because it started in Dis D2, but the cheat shop is hella useful and make these games way more fun. Need some money? Max money and grind a map for 5-10 mins like 5 times and you're set. Same with mana. Otherwise I just leave it on XP maxed all the time.

Also the next chapter previews are still great. Lots of funny stuff in there and great art.

« Reply #36058 on: December 04, 2020, 05:26:46 AM »
Sunset Overdrive is really so much fun. I was a little  :-\ about the controls at the beginning of the game but now I get it and it feels so good. Zipping around and shooting and shit is kind of perfect. The only shit part so far is the base defense sections.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #36059 on: December 04, 2020, 06:17:46 AM »
Sunset Overdrive is really so much fun. I was a little  :-\ about the controls at the beginning of the game but now I get it and it feels so good. Zipping around and shooting and shit is kind of perfect. The only shit part so far is the base defense sections.

Are you on PC or console? I heard theres a saving bug on PC that can delete your entire save....

I recently bought it too.
What