Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 1934459 times)

Sho Nuff and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bebpo

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36120 on: October 10, 2020, 09:15:20 PM »
Started playing LittleBigPlanet 3 by Sumo Digital and uh....this is really good?  :doge

Like it's the lowest rated of the 4 mainline games, and I'm only playing the campaign and just finished the first real hub world that's Hollywood themed and the levels are really great. Tons of variety, super charming the Oddsock character with wall jump and momentum plays great and his pinball escape level felt straight out of a Sonic game. The different equip items add a lot of variety as well.

Aesthetically reminds me a lot of Puppeteer, it's really charming. Will be surprised if their PS5 launch game Sackboy is better than this. The only thing LBP3 could use is 60fps since it's 30fps.

But yeah, Sumo Digital is good at making platformers? I mean I know they make good racers and ooookay Hitman stages, but I think this is the first platformer I've played of theirs and so far I'd put it above Media Molecule's campaigns in the first two games.

Nice music too:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 02:49:13 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #36121 on: October 11, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Other random stuff trying out/playing/started lately now that done with 90+ hours of Trails rpg gaming and have time to play other stuff.

Superflight - Procedurally generated wingdiving game that is like $2. It plays pretty well and is fun trying to get high scores but on your way down you have to find and hit portals to warp to a new level or you die and lose your combat. Since the portals are randomly generated sometimes by the time you're midway down in height in the level you can't find any and then you lose your run which sucks. Worth the $2 but needs a few changes to be a better game.

Discworld Noir - Almost done with Act III of IV. Game is one of the longest ADV games I've played in forever. Enjoying it but it's so long and 1/2 the gameplay systems aren't introduced until midway. Weird little old-school game, but solid and worth playing so far, but not one of the ADV greats or anything.

Disgaea 5 - A bit further in now, enjoying this a lot! I don't know if I was just burned out from playing the same style N1 power grind srpg every year for a decade but this feels really throwback and fun now and the grind addiction is real. Looks nice enough too/good music.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - I never got far in this on PS2 even though it looked gorgeous because the gameplay just didn't feel that fun. Had this sitting in my backlog forever and finally put it in today. Damn, game looks even more gorgeous in widescreen HD format. Also seems to play a lot better now in the moment to moment combat. Played like an hour and on one hand I'm really digging it, but on the other hand the combat just seems so shallow I don't know if it'll keep my interest. I played every Vanillaware game, but never finished one until 13 Sentinels because the repetition. 13 Sentinels being so good does make me want to actual finish Odin Sphere/Muramasa/Dragon's Crown at some point now (but never Grime Grimoire because I hate RTS).

Also I'm kind of tempted to wait on playing the rest of LBP3 for PS5 BC. The load times in LBP3 are so bad. Like the worst loading I've experienced in the last few years of gaming is Devil May Cry 5 on PS4, but LBP3 is pretty bad too because there is a hub level that has to load everytime you can back and forth between the hub and levels/mini-levels. I'm assuming on PS5 BC that basically every PS4 game will get better load times even unoptimized for PS5, but maybe that's optimistic.

Bebpo

« Reply #36122 on: October 11, 2020, 09:26:58 PM »
More stuff

State of Mind - This is leaving Game Pass in a few days so I checked it out and played a bit. Okish 3d adventure game on budget. Basically feels like ultra budget Detroit and having just played Detroit a few months ago this wasn't grabbing me. Generally not a big fan of the ADV games from Daedalic.

Quantum Break - Started this and played an hour or so into the first FMV ep. Pretty cool. Combat isn't as bad/downgrade as I expected coming from Control. Less dashing, but dashing is more powerful. Story concept is kinda neat, but not sure if I have the patience to sit through long FMV eps.

Bebpo

« Reply #36123 on: October 12, 2020, 02:48:06 AM »
Finally finished up Discworld Noir. I think if I hadn't spent so much time on the first 2/3rds I'd have bailed in the last 1/3rd. It gets so boring in the last 5 hours or so. Especially once you unlock the library and progression is like: learn something -> go look it up at the library over and over.

If it was shorter and tighter paced and less looking up index cards it'd be a good adventure game, but it's kind of long, boring and a bit tedious. From the night watch novel I read it sorta feels like Discworld, and sorta doesn't.

The scenes with Death are the highlight as is the main character's VA. The writer nailed Death's dialogues and the VA was great. A few of the exchanges are pretty funny. You can just watch those and skip the game and save time.

@ 6:06

Boredfrom

« Reply #36124 on: October 12, 2020, 02:54:49 AM »
I will say, Genshin Impact gacha doesnít seem that awful given that I already have three 5 star characters.  :doge

Feels like stuff like Fate/Go already conditioned me to awful gacha rates or most people complaining about it donít usually play gachas.

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #36125 on: October 12, 2020, 07:15:15 AM »
Dragon's Crown. I played this a while ago but didn't get that far in because it seemed too repetitive. This time I'm loving it.

Sorceress is incredibly fun playing solo. She has a huge variety of genuinely distinct moves/builds, all of which are useful. If possible you would like to take 3 wands (ice, fire, lightning each have different abilities), 4 armor types, 6 spells, and a few items into every dungeon. But you are limited (7 things total to start, 10 max) so there are tough choices. Since she has terrible physical defense, you have to learn to dodge, which she is great at with teleportation and witch flight.

My current build tries to start each enemy encounter by cursing some of them to turn into frogs, leaving them defenseless against my team of summoned skeletons. I haven't tried petrification yet, which might be even better for this since it could potentially petrify the whole screen, but frogging lasts longer for tough enemies.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36126 on: October 13, 2020, 11:50:28 PM »
Just made it to disk 4 in Legend of Dragoon - the game definitely has some flaws and combat is pretty slow (though not as bad as the PS1 version of FF9), but I'm enjoying it all the same. Love the surreal prerendered environments and there's some really good music in it. Story starts off kinda cliche but has some interesting elements about it, especially the second half of chapter 3 when the big revelations hit. Don't think the game deserves nearly the amount of hate that it gets.
^_^

Coax

« Reply #36127 on: October 14, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
Have a system that can now play Death Stranding so currently about mid-way through it seems. It's amusing how Kojima took the derided fetch quest in games and made that the entire conceit, with the focus on the minutia of the traveling and delivery aspects but with enough AAA polish and touches of charm and game-y-ness that mask the mundanity of the core gameplay loop.

They attempt to spice things up with the threat of enemies though I didn't find it as enjoyable, primarily since the controls (on a gamepad at least, god knows how KB/M players make up for the lack of analog controls for a game like this) map the same button for gripping the backpack to the weapon aim/trigger and for whatever reason if I move---or just seemingly randomly--it will stop aiming and unequip the item, requiring re-equipping it mid-fight. Died once in a boss fight for this reason despite doing perfectly well otherwise. Holy hell it's annoying.

Probably the single touch that for me has elevated some of the slogs are Reedus' character muttering to himself periodically and exclamations about loosing balance ('that laugh you do when you almost die') but I've actually enjoyed most of my time with the game. Also I don't think they could have pulled this off as successfully without the era of physically based rendering (PBR) as the visuals help sell the experience.

Ironicaly despite the typical Kojima eccentric flavorings the only legitimate wtf moment was the fact the girl from the Junk Dealer's quest was his girlfriend when she was presented as way younger in appearance and behavior.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:15:23 AM by Coax »

Cryo

« Reply #36128 on: October 15, 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
5 months later, what do yíall think of the streets of rage 4 soundtrack? Itís weird in that itís what I wanted for the game (contemporary electronic for a new generation of fans, with enough 90ís elements/melodies) but the execution is not quite there. Oliverís tracks are slowly growing on me - would say my two favorites are the break room in the police station and the first Chinatown segment) but I LOVED all the songs by guest composers. Really cool to see Yoko Shinamura on the list since I generally associated her with the competition!

Really hope thereís more tracks by guest composers on this supposed DLC.

Bebpo

« Reply #36129 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:42 PM »
Kingdom Hearts Melody of Murde...err Memories demo is pretty meh. It's ok, but considering it's the Theaterhythm team and those games were great music games this feels a big step down. Instead of visible notes like you know every normal music game the notes are the enemies and it's just...dumb. Why couldn't they just make Theaterhythm KH.

Spieler1

« Reply #36130 on: October 16, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
Started a replay of DMC3 straight with Vergil and didn't get it at all  :doge Thankfully he has two of Dante's weapons, his own weapons suck.

Svejk

• NOMAD
« Reply #36131 on: October 16, 2020, 11:20:51 AM »
5 months later, what do yíall think of the streets of rage 4 soundtrack? Itís weird in that itís what I wanted for the game (contemporary electronic for a new generation of fans, with enough 90ís elements/melodies) but the execution is not quite there. Oliverís tracks are slowly growing on me - would say my two favorites are the break room in the police station and the first Chinatown segment) but I LOVED all the songs by guest composers. Really cool to see Yoko Shinamura on the list since I generally associated her with the competition!

It definitely grew on me... All thanks to the retro music toggle being total half-assed ass.  Guess that was intentional to not let Yuzo steal all the thunder again.  If only they'd allow a customizable playlist with all tracks from SOR1-4.  :lawd

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36132 on: October 16, 2020, 03:09:38 PM »
Just made it to disk 4 in Legend of Dragoon - the game definitely has some flaws and combat is pretty slow (though not as bad as the PS1 version of FF9), but I'm enjoying it all the same. Love the surreal prerendered environments and there's some really good music in it. Story starts off kinda cliche but has some interesting elements about it, especially the second half of chapter 3 when the big revelations hit. Don't think the game deserves nearly the amount of hate that it gets.

Were you amazed at Rose's pussy opening the gates of hell?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:15:17 PM by demi »
fat

Cryo

« Reply #36133 on: October 16, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »

It definitely grew on me... All thanks to the retro music toggle being total half-assed ass.  Guess that was intentional to not let Yuzo steal all the thunder again.  If only they'd allow a customizable playlist with all tracks from SOR1-4.  :lawd
agreed this was pretty disappointing. I don't really feel like 50% of the tracks they picked fit the stages well.

MMaRsu

« Reply #36134 on: October 16, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Yeah what happened to yuzo koshiro's music

Cryo

« Reply #36135 on: October 16, 2020, 07:56:42 PM »
Yeah what happened to yuzo koshiro's music
fwiw he could record himself pooping for the main theme and it wouldíve fine so long as it had the classic SoR title trackís bass line

Spieler1

« Reply #36136 on: October 16, 2020, 08:07:37 PM »
Some tracks like Chinatown and the first half of Y-Tower were just plain bad, but the rest was fine to great, not to mention some of the transitions.

Bebpo

« Reply #36137 on: October 17, 2020, 05:38:23 AM »
Disgaea 5 has so many systems,

Like this was cool when a new N1 srpg came out every year adding 1 new sub-system and if you played them every year you were on top of it. But if you take some time off and forget how these things work and what the efficient use of some stuff is...it's a lot  :lol

Enjoying it a lot, but spending a decent amount of time googling sub-systems and what their point is.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #36138 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is quite good! A fun and breezy experience that puts the Mario Bros inside of Bowser for hijinks. The staple Mario RPG combat is the highlight here, every enemy having a good number of attacks which include fake outs and timing variations so it doesn't lose your interest. Bowser also adds a lot to the game, controlling satisfyingly different from the Bros with all his fire and heft.

The game's writing is amusing and never gets bogged down in detail, though that comes with it the problem of the the story basically having no stakes. Combined with the entire game basically taking place in Mario's backyard, it gives the feel of an episode of a sitcom more than an RPG adventure, which is something I can't say about Thousand Year Door or Mario and Luigi 1. Still though, there's something to say for being total junk food, and at 20-25 hours my biggest problem was I was left wanting more, which is never a bad thing.

Spieler1

« Reply #36139 on: October 17, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1316433710053388288

Oh, it's just the first level of SoR2 in a loop with one music track :goty

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36140 on: October 17, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »
My friend and I played through Bubble Bobble NES and got the Happy End last nite. Still playing Legend of Dragoon, just beat the Law City area. I love how surreal some of these late-game areas are, the game really has that awesome sense of adventure lacking in a lot of modern RPGs.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36141 on: October 17, 2020, 07:25:42 PM »
Ok, back in the groove with Disgaea 5. Found as few methods to break stuff already and powered up my MC. In every N1 SRPG I always end up just making the lead MC like 100x more powerful than everyone else in my team because it's just easier to power level/items for 1 character and have them steamroll the maps.

Squads in this are slightly interesting, the capture/interrogation stuff is great once broken and I'm capturing and interrogating like 100 enemies at a time and turning them into a 100 enemy stat upgrade potion. The XP share could be good for getting other people caught up closer to the MC. Doesn't seem like enough XP to help beyond low level characters.

Stuff like being able to put your squad in charge of the dark assembly and have them always for 100% YES for you so you can pass anything is cool, but maxing out that squad is gonna be a big grind so will save that for if I need it.

On ch.4 of 15 and feel like I've got a good team/strategy set to take me through the rest of the story maps. I usually don't bother with the post-game in N1 srpgs because it's fun, but it's like here's a map and then grind and then here's another map and then grind as the level jumps get crazy fast. Just never seemed worth the time, though there's always fun story bits & characters if you put the time in. I'm fine with the 30-40 hour main stories that tend to wrap up just fine with their final boss.

Also I kinda wish I had double dipped and picked this up on Switch with the complete version with all the DLC characters. I don't have any of them and some of them sound pretty broken good. I don't care about the nostalgia of using old characters so not planning on picking up the DLC.

Bebpo

« Reply #36142 on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »
I do wonder if Disgaea 6 is going to be soft reboot. Being Switch-focused in the west, being 3d for the first time, having slightly younger looking cast.

Each Disgaea game has just added sub-system after sub-system and five games in that's an insane amount of complexity. Hell Disgaea 5 is probably one of the most complex games I've ever played. If Disgaea 6 is trying to appeal to a new audience on Switch of younger kids I wonder if they'll roll back a bunch of sub-systems.

Either way, after this Disgaea refresher with 5, I'll be ready for the sub-systems in 6.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36143 on: October 17, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »
GTA V platinum trophy quest is still ongoing, but in the in between meantimes Iíve also fired up my 360 occasionally.

I bought Faery for $1.49 during a sale, sight unseen, possibly with leftover credit. Even so, I still Feel ripped off. This is an abysmal game. I was prepared for any number of things, but a zero effort, C-tier JRPG wannabe was not among them. Deleted.

I love music games, though my history with them is spotty. There is always something wrong with them, some weird bug theyíve shipped with, and it will INEVITABLY catch my dick in its zipper fly teeth. InisĎ Lips was a grinding-based progression game that ate its own save data regularly, and didnít acknowledge its own DLC. XBL Karaoke did not offer a method for completing their object collection Achievements. Rock Band 1ís instrument/sign-in flow was broken. 2 shipped with broken support for their website  account registration, which was key for unlocking an Achievement that theyíd made part of a 4-pt/6-pt pair, fucking with my OCD.

So I should have known better than to sale purchase the French Voxler Games Letís Sing and Dance. The game qlitched out in hour two of gameplay, Preventing any sound from playing and Kinect moves from registering, AND playing the song video on endless loop. Fixing it required not just deleting save data, but deleting and reinstalling this now-delisted game. So that was ďfun.Ē Iíve since been playing while expecting my progress there to be deleted, but instead I was bit by a glitched Achievement, ďSaturday Night Fever,Ē which requires 30 minutes play on Saturday night. My first mistake was playing at noon. Thatís on me. But then I started playing again at 22:40, and it didnít unlock after 45 minutes. I looked it up again, turns out itís only one mode, so I switched to that before midnight, and after an hour it still chose not to unlock. Even the models in the match-the-move videos look like theyíre not having fun.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:24:34 PM by chronovore »

Bebpo

« Reply #36144 on: October 18, 2020, 12:10:16 AM »
Did you play Beat Saber?

I'd say that's the best current music game. The latest versions of DJ Max Portable is supposedly real good for the Bemania kinda thing. Sadly I don't think there's any good modern Karaoke replacement. Rock Band is still probably best place for that.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36145 on: October 19, 2020, 06:52:46 PM »
lol I gobbled up Faery for the 200 gamerscore :hyper . It wasnt that bad!

I finished Quantum Break. Awesome graphics and story with decent gameplay, but man they dropped the ball in the final chapter...
QUANTUM BREAK SPOILERS
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Way to many loose ends to be a satisfying ending. I get they gotta leave doors open for a sequel but they didn't resolve shit. You don't know:
- If you actually saved the universe
- Whats wrong with Jack (does he have the same affliction Paul has/had?)
- What happened to Paul, mf'er just evaporated. What a cop out (hes gonna come back as a time spirit or some shit in the sequel yadayadayda)
- Despite the game building up to the deadly "shifter" lifeforms being a big deal, you never fight any. you see all the carnage cause by one but thats it. Im guessing they couldnt get the combat with a different enemy type polished enough in time? What happened to Dr Kim? Again another sequel thread.
- And finally the game hints at time actually being able to be changed but this is another cocktease. FFS.

[close]

Worst of all I doubt we'll see a sequel to this as Control was the next Remedy game :( So much wasted potential. I'd still recommend the game though as it was a really fun ride. I loved the live action sequences - great actors and acting! Lots of babes which was awesome.

Just a couple of collectibles I missed to get the 1000/1000. Will probably blast through again to make the different story decisions. Hard mode was easy except for the last boss fght which was really annoying due to his 1 hit KO AoE attack.

benjipwns

• time to get in love formation
« Reply #36146 on: October 20, 2020, 01:43:28 AM »
Rogue Company is pretty good for free and all, I like medics though and being able to send a drone to revive dudes across the map is my fetish

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #36147 on: October 20, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Played a lot of Breath of the Wild lately. Doing a second run on the Switch with the DLC (my first was on the Wii U, got 120 shrines without the DLC)

About 75 shrines now and one Divine Beast remaining. This game is already 3 years old and hasn't aged a day.
I also keep discovering new things after playing it for over 200 hours (Wii U + Switch) combined.
GAMER

Bebpo

« Reply #36148 on: October 21, 2020, 04:02:32 AM »
Played through The Outer Worlds Expansion #1 - Peril on Gorgon.

It was alright. Just like the main game it's super competent but not very interesting and all the NPCs/party member banter/logs/notes are kinda bland and just the same corporate speak one-note joke over and over.

The story of the expansion is solid, it's got some fun areas to explore and it's a pretty sizeable length at around 7-8 hours with all the quests (and since the main game was like ~21 hours w/all quests, that's not bad).

It wasn't great and a reason to go back to the game, but it wasn't bad and didn't feel like a waste of time. Something like an 8/10 maybe.

It also reminded me of all the issues I have with The Outer Worlds. Besides just blandness of setting and NPCs and locations, there's

-Lack of interesting questing options. For an Obsidian game there really aren't a lot of branching ways to do quests. Most of the time it's either shoot somone or pay them off or persuade them and that's about it. There was one fun little quest where a merc ship raids your ship and you board their ship back and can either kill them all or talk to their captain. But when talking to the captain the only choice is just paying him a few bucks to leave or fight them. After paying him off, while walking out and seeing the giant ship's core unguarded I wondered if I could sabatoge their ship and blow it up on the way out or some actually interesting quest freedom choice...but nope, no way to interact with anything or doing anything. The questing reminds me more of Fallout 3 and Bethesda than Fallout NV and Obsidian in quest branch design.

-Shallow & bland gameplay. The exploration is very Bethesda with just lots of junk items everywhere, security logs to read and enemies to fight (human, robot security or monsters and that's about it). The combat scenarios all feel the same as there's not a lot of enemy types and there's just not much rpg or anything interesting to the combat besides taking a few guns and slowing down time and shooting things while healing. Even the skills and perks are really bland. There's no real zany & interesting perks you can give to make the gameplay more fun. It's all just like stat boosts. It probably the most bland character build options I've seen in an rpg. The shooting feels solid, but there's just not much to do besides using the half a dozen different weapon types on the same enemies over and over.

I'm expecting the 2nd expansion to be more of the same. But if they do make a real Outer Worlds 2 sequel at some point, I hope they rehaul everything. Make the combat interesting, the perks zany, varied and creative, interesting and cool teammates, quirky interesting NPCs and more ways to approach a quest and do it in a real roleplaying fashion.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36149 on: October 22, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
lol I gobbled up Faery for the 200 gamerscore :hyper . It wasnt that bad!
:whoo :dead :trigger :rollsafe :social :gamergate :ufup :kobeyuck :bluesteel

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36150 on: October 22, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »
Up to the final boss of Legend of Dragoon. Then I think I'll finally try to go for DKC2. Never beat DKC2 or 3 back in the day.
CS4 is shipping out to me tomorrow, but I'll be on vacation next week... will probably sink my teeth into that very soon.
^_^

« Reply #36151 on: October 22, 2020, 10:18:04 PM »
the pacing of persona 5 goes to hell after the 4th palace, even in the royal version. i just want to get the new content, but i guess it's all late game. i don't want to do the 5th dungeon even though i equipped one of the free dlc personas and easily kill things.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #36152 on: October 23, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
The biggest problem with Royal IMO is that they didn't fix many issues with the original, only placed new material around it to prop it up. That September/October stretch is still the worst part of the game.   :-\

« Reply #36153 on: October 23, 2020, 10:42:21 PM »
The boss for the 5th palace... was it always this fucking hard? Having to kill them all in the same turn or the whole fight gets reset? What the fuck. Wasted way too much time on that. I had been relying only on knockdown > all out attack the whole time so suddenly not being able to do big damage really fucked me. Havenít upgraded anyoneís weapons or armor since the first dungeon. Might have to actually fuse some personas too. Or I could just turn it on safety mode cuz who the hell cares

Bebpo

« Reply #36154 on: October 26, 2020, 01:09:33 AM »
btw, new Amnesia game, Amnesia: Rebirth is really good  :-[

I'm a few nights in, probably halfway. Seems up there with first Amnesia & SOMA but different style. I kinda feel it's more scripted and therefore less scary and more walking sim at times, but it definitely has it's scary moments and tension. The art, storytelling and VA is A++, no one else is making very polished FPS horror games like this besides Frictional Games. They're a great, great team and this seems like another winner.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36155 on: October 26, 2020, 01:14:02 AM »
I fired up Red Dead Redemption 2 again after many months, and I can't remember how to do anything that's not mapped to GTA controls.

Also, as it was "Red Dead Revolver" and then "Red Dead Redemption,"  this should be titled "Red Dead Revenge" or ÖRebirth, or Regulators.

"2" is a zero-effort marketing move.

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #36156 on: October 26, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
Red Dead Regulators....mount up :aah

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #36157 on: October 26, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
Red Dead Revengers of Vengeance
©@©ô

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #36158 on: October 26, 2020, 05:01:14 PM »
Metal Gear: Red Dead Revengeance :jeb

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36159 on: October 26, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36160 on: October 26, 2020, 10:42:39 PM »
I saw that Guacamelee! 2 was on GamePass some I'm playing that. I liked the first game and this is good too. Slick action and platforming. I was pleased to see that cheat-code to play on hard-mode from the get-go was also included in the sequel. Some great jokes and easter eggs. Is this game technically racist though? I cant tell
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:47:37 PM by The Sceneman »

Bebpo

« Reply #36161 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:59 PM »
I don't think it's trying to be racist, it's definitely trying to celebrate the culture and not make fun of it, but it does play into stereotypes and the team was mostly/basically all white Canadians. They could've done better, but eh.

It's a great game like the first, but definitely ymmv on that. I think most people are ok with it, but some people find it offensive slightly. Like I've seen people jokingly call it racist metroidvania.

https://kotaku.com/im-mexican-am-i-supposed-to-be-offended-by-guacamelee-476018607

Coax

« Reply #36162 on: October 26, 2020, 11:12:28 PM »
Disc Room. Not bad but was hoping for more challenging goals in even the basic rooms. Even just longer time survival goals as many so far are things like 'survive 10 seconds' (despite it being trivial to for the first several zones), 'die to n type of discs'. I suppose they're counting on players wanting to beat leaderboards? That said it does reduce the barrier to progression so one doesn't feel stuck in any one particular room in the initial zones.

The boss rooms are more fun, particularly the 'Carnivorous Gatekeeper' room which forces longer play and during the second phase increases the challenge. They also mix things up with the timing of levels so it's not always a straight 'survive as long as you're alive' thing but can be things where only grabbing items increases the timer or only standing in a particular area. The player unlocks new abilities over time such as dash, slow time, clone and others which can be swapped between sessions and become increasingly necessary for various scenarios.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #36163 on: October 27, 2020, 05:20:00 AM »
I don't think it's trying to be racist, it's definitely trying to celebrate the culture and not make fun of it, but it does play into stereotypes and the team was mostly/basically all white Canadians. They could've done better, but eh.

It's a great game like the first, but definitely ymmv on that. I think most people are ok with it, but some people find it offensive slightly. Like I've seen people jokingly call it racist metroidvania.

https://kotaku.com/im-mexican-am-i-supposed-to-be-offended-by-guacamelee-476018607

Don't make me go through my post history of why this is complete garbage. The lead concept guy is literally mexican.

Augusto Quijano was born in Merida, Mexico. He moved to Toronto where he graduated from Seneca College's animation program. Mr. Quijano is Concept Lead at DrinkBox Studios where he has worked on the award winning "Guacamelee!"

Edit: Here's an entire GDC talk about the making of the game.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020419/The-Art-of-Making-Guacamelee

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:29:43 AM by HardcoreRetro »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36164 on: October 27, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »
Disc Room. Not bad but was hoping for more challenging goals in even the basic rooms. Even just longer time survival goals as many so far are things like 'survive 10 seconds' (despite it being trivial to for the first several zones), 'die to n type of discs'. I suppose they're counting on players wanting to beat leaderboards? That said it does reduce the barrier to progression so one doesn't feel stuck in any one particular room in the initial zones.

The boss rooms are more fun, particularly the 'Carnivorous Gatekeeper' room which forces longer play and during the second phase increases the challenge. They also mix things up with the timing of levels so it's not always a straight 'survive as long as you're alive' thing but can be things where only grabbing items increases the timer or only standing in a particular area. The player unlocks new abilities over time such as dash, slow time, clone and others which can be swapped between sessions and become increasingly necessary for various scenarios.

This looked kinda fun, though the video on the Steam page didn't really tell too much about the game... was thinking it was more like a Smash TV type game but it seems there are different challenges in each room?
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36165 on: October 27, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »
I beat Strider NES - I like how Capcom tried a Bionic Commando and re-worked the arcade game to a more nonlinear action platformer to play to the strengths of the NES, but this game was super jank. Jumping feels really weird - you'll jump way too quickly and if you're hugging a wall while you jump, it cuts your jump short. There's also a wall jump that's necessary in a few areas that's extremely difficult to pull off. The game feels buggy and glitchy, at this point Capcom already delivered classics like Mega Man and Bionic Commando so there's no use for this game's quality... feels very Micronics in its quality of programming.
^_^

MMaRsu

« Reply #36166 on: October 27, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »
I often see people talking how mexicans really embrace their stereotypes and dont find them offensive at all.

How it should be, shit is all in good fun

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36167 on: October 27, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
I often see people talking how mexicans really embrace their stereotypes and dont find them offensive at all.

It's like when white people were offended by Mario wearing a sombrero and sarape in Mario Odyssey but actual Mexican people were really excited about it.
dog

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36168 on: October 27, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »

Yeah I cant really speak on racial stuff myself as I'm as white as a very white thing - but I can laugh at the stereotypes thrown at me being a New Zealander and a cis white millennial.

And yeah Guacamelee does definitely mean well.

The best thing I've got from the game so far is the idea of using grapefruit juice for guacamole! Very inspired! Being a kiwi I havent met very many real mexicans but the ones I have met are lovely people. I really dig mexican food and culture

MMaRsu

« Reply #36169 on: October 27, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »

It's like when white people were offended by Mario wearing a sombrero and sarape in Mario Odyssey but actual Mexican people were really excited about it.

Do you mean white people or just reee morons

Stro

• #SaturnSquad
« Reply #36170 on: October 27, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »

Yeah I cant really speak on racial stuff myself as I'm as white as a very white thing - but I can laugh at the stereotypes thrown at me being a New Zealander and a cis white millennial.

And yeah Guacamelee does definitely mean well.

The best thing I've got from the game so far is the idea of using grapefruit juice for guacamole! Very inspired! Being a kiwi I havent met very many real mexicans but the ones I have met are lovely people. I really dig mexican food and culture

I'm not aware of any New Zealander stereotypes beyond everyone thinking they're Australians.

Coax

« Reply #36171 on: October 27, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
This looked kinda fun, though the video on the Steam page didn't really tell too much about the game... was thinking it was more like a Smash TV type game but it seems there are different challenges in each room?

Basically each room has its own goal(s) which unlock subsequent rooms or a new ability. The gameplay itself for harder rooms could be described as bullet hell lite (since the saw discs are larger they fill more playable area but the abilities offset this).

After the earlier post above I found some of the latter rooms' goals were to survive longer in all previous rooms so my criticism was kinda addressed in that way. A couple rooms, including one called Lobotomy, are notoriously difficult though and some recommend not even bothering (I managed to get 10 seconds worth of items but late-game you need 20s to unlock a room).

There are around 50 rooms total afaict.

Late edit: power outage blip while playing caused the save file to be reset after getting to the end and unlocking hard mode :doge Wouldn't have been a problem had I been on my other system with the UPS and daily backups.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:03:30 AM by Coax »

Bebpo

« Reply #36172 on: October 28, 2020, 12:15:44 AM »
Forza 7 sure is a nice looking game. The cars are good, but not great, but the environment/track art is crazy good. Time of day shifts & effects are really impressive.

It's also the first racing game I've ever played where it looks worse in replays (locked 30fps, no real visual improvements, awful ai replay camera) than it looks racing in-game.

Also the photo mode interface is fucking terrible. Man I miss Project Gotham Racing and easy screenshots.

MMaRsu

« Reply #36173 on: October 28, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
Forza 7 sure is a nice looking game. The cars are good, but not great, but the environment/track art is crazy good. Time of day shifts & effects are really impressive.

It's also the first racing game I've ever played where it looks worse in replays (locked 30fps, no real visual improvements, awful ai replay camera) than it looks racing in-game.

Also the photo mode interface is fucking terrible. Man I miss Project Gotham Racing and easy screenshots.

Bepbo have you tried Forza Horizon 3 or 4 yet? Wonderful racers.

Bebpo

« Reply #36174 on: October 28, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »

Bepbo have you tried Forza Horizon 3 or 4 yet? Wonderful racers.

Yeah, I played through Horizon 3/4. Great games.

Better playing games than Forza 7, but I think F7 beats them in visuals. Not having an open world really let them go crazy with visuals. Most next-gen looking racer I've seen.

MMaRsu

« Reply #36175 on: October 28, 2020, 05:23:43 PM »
Yea I dont get why F7 isnt on Gamepass PC, I mean its not is it?

Bebpo

« Reply #36176 on: October 28, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »
Yea I dont get why F7 isnt on Gamepass PC, I mean its not is it?

It is...that's why I'm playing it atm lol

They added it last week or the week before that. It's like 120 or 150gb though.

Bebpo

« Reply #36177 on: October 28, 2020, 07:53:28 PM »
Went down the rabbit hole of trying random games in your steam backlog list and tried 100% Orange Juice (worst.name.ever)

At first I had no idea wtf the was going on. But instead of giving up at that point I watched a youtube review of the game and understood the basic mechanics. Then tried again and got it. Made it through a coupe of wins and intense loss in 2nd place where was 1 turn away from winning.

My thoughts are this is a pretty great board game concept, there's also a ton of content with all the characters and boards. There's some really neat modifiers like the boards where you randomly go backwards for a turn. But this is also like waaaaaaaay more RNG heavy than almost anything I've played. If you get frustrated by games easily, this is not a good game for you when you keep getting shitty rolls and go from first to last place at the last minute. If you can deal with the RNG and have friends to play against this seems great.

I also tried Ace of Seafood and had no idea what was going on and was very confused and watched a youtube review afterwards. Will give it another try. Died on my first fish fight :(

Bebpo

« Reply #36178 on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »

Ok, got the hang of Ace of Seafood. You go base to base and kill enemies to get their DNA to be able to build them and either play as them or add them to your team. It's pretty impressive how every unit has a unique set of moves and formations. Got about 10 bases in and got my Yamato battleships with torpedos and ehhhh, if this game had better controls & camera I'd probably play it all the way through because the Katamari style of start with a sardine and keep growing and growing until you are a giant squid taking down spaceships is amusing, but the controls are sooooooooo bad. It wants to play like Zone of the Enders but no, not even close. Pretty sure I got this in a bundle and it was a $1 tier game. Seems about right.

Bebpo

« Reply #36179 on: October 29, 2020, 03:56:02 AM »
So I was reading the forums on Ace of Seafood and it was funny to see they are the same devs that just put out Fight Crab. I mean it makes sense thematically, but just Fight Crab looked like a way more polished game than Ace of Seafood which is like a Simple 2000 PS2 game. Anyhow added Fight Crab to my wishlist to pick up for cheap at some point because Ace of Seafood is actually alright outside camera/controls.

Just finished Amnesia Rebirth - Yikes, I thought the first half was really good. It was similar themed the horror movie Under the Shadow and kinda a mix between Lovecraftian and Middle Eastern/Arabian folklore which was cool and creepy! The second half gets really generic sci-fi and gets way too generic stealth gameplay and confusing puzzles. I just found the last couple hours pretty tedious and just wanted it to be over. I think it's Frictional Games' worst by far and I'd rank it pretty below The Chinese Room's A Machine For Pigs which I liked a lot. If they spend a couple years on their next game hopefully they come up with something more original.