Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 1855270 times)

filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #36180 on: September 14, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
thebore.com for ages filler and up

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36181 on: September 14, 2020, 01:03:37 PM »
Played through Vice: Project Doom the other day. It's highly reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden, with the occasional Spy Hunter-esque driving scene and an Operation Wolf-esque first person shooting mode. The graphics are lovely, music has its moments but is mostly repetitive and drowned out by the sound effects which cut the channels. The level design in some parts feels extremely reminiscent of Ninja Gaiden (2 specifically), like one area with a train and thunder that brightens a normally dark screen (basically combines levels 2-1 and 3-1 of Ninja Gaiden 2), then you have another level based on 4-2 from NG2. But the enemy design is pretty haphazard, as you get to the later levels, the designers just clutter the screen with a million enemies no rhyme or reason. The final boss took me a bit because if you die you get sent back fairly far and it's not all that easy to get up to him... but eventually I beat it once I got the penultimate and the final boss' patterns down. Cutscenes are pretty nice and the story has some interesting moments, but it doesn't feel as fleshed out as its inspiration.

It's surprisingly not too expensive for a late-release NES game, it's worth at least giving a try to.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36182 on: September 15, 2020, 04:34:37 AM »
Finished The Blackwell Deception. Game 4 of 5 in Dave Gilbert/Wadjet Eye's Blackwell Noir adventure series. Never got around to finishing the series and felt in the mood for some adventure gaming. Was solid, but didn't think it was great and some of the puzzles drove me nuts. A lot of it was just setup for the final game The Blackwell Epiphany which I just started and spritework/art is a big step up.

Also finished Act I in Discworld Noir. Still liking it other than it being ugly. The writing is pretty hit & miss, but there's some funny lines throughout and the VA for the main guy is great (the Blackwell series also has real good VA).

Kinda fun playing a couple Noir Point n' Click games. Noir is always pretty enjoyable with that jazzy music and gumshoe detectives.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36183 on: September 16, 2020, 10:49:41 PM »
Yeah, I mean if you can hold back on that feeling of having to do everything, it's probably best just to do the main story missions in the DLCs. It's an enjoyable little story, though I think the first DLC is the best because the Black Cat x Spider-Man dynamic is fun.

I went into Hammerhead DLC, was doing the stories, but then tried a base battle a couple times, and was cheap-shotted to death TWICE after clearing the additional win-conditions each time. I ended up rage-deleting the game. Done. Super-duper spider-done.

Edit: Guess I wasn't alone -
https://www.reddit.com/r/SpidermanPS4/comments/9yth68/hammerhead_dlc_too_hard/

Bebpo

« Reply #36184 on: September 16, 2020, 10:54:32 PM »
Yeah, that's a reasonable reaction to the bases.

Really hope Miles chills down on the base waves.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36185 on: September 18, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »
Finished Yakuza 3, and completely could have skipped that one

Yakuza 4 already looks better at least
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #36186 on: September 19, 2020, 12:17:25 AM »

:(

I liked it when I played it last year for the first time. It's not top-tier Yakuza, but I liked the Okinawa locale & questing, the bad guy was solid and the story was entertaining and had some good bits.

Might've helped that it was the first Yakuza game I'd played in like 5-6 years since I took a break, so wasn't burnt out on the formula.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #36187 on: September 19, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
funny, i just finished Yakuza 2 last nite. been wanting to do that for 12 fucking years now, and i gotta say it was still worth the wait. even tho it was cranked out in a year and reuses the same map it still manages to feel incredibly fun and fast-paced.

i'm sure it helps that random battles disappear when you're overleveled and that loading times are improved by a trillion, but in general the combat was really fun and satisfying. overall game difficulty was down from the first one, as the bosses were much easier and there were loads and loads of items to get from the lockers. the sidequests might have been the weakest point, with the big hosting game and restaurant management ones feeling like a slog (and having a 38 year old former Yakuza boss decide to become a host on a whim - come on man).

i liked the story, the villain was good and cheesy, and the melodrama scenes with the cop were enjoyable and a bit better than what you'd usually see in a video game while still being kinda silly and over the top. the constant korea hate was a lot, especially when they had to keep saying they were worse than animals or whatever. other than that it was all good, with the endless stream of over-the-top plot twists and enjoyable and memorable scenes.

i wanna move on to 3 soon, but tbh i might go back to 2 and finish up the sidequests and maybe do a hard mode run. the game is fun enough that i don't wanna walk away just yet.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #36188 on: September 19, 2020, 11:10:52 AM »

I liked it when I played it last year for the first time. It's not top-tier Yakuza, but I liked the Okinawa locale & questing, the bad guy was solid and the story was entertaining and had some good bits.

Might've helped that it was the first Yakuza game I'd played in like 5-6 years since I took a break, so wasn't burnt out on the formula.

The whole Kid thing was pretty dumb, most of the game was dealing with those brats and their insecurities

Not sure which bad guy you thought was solid, he was pretty much as one note as every Yakuza villain so far haha

"I'm the final boss! But in a final turn I will do something that will attempt to redeem me as a kinda sorta good guy! But I'm dead anyway fuck it"
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36189 on: September 19, 2020, 11:56:03 AM »
Was playing Joe and Mac for SNES, I think the game still looks great for an early-1992 SNES game, backgrounds are colorful and vibrant. Made it to the second to last (?) stage and then ran out of continues, which sucked.

Also started playing through Super Castlevania 4, I think the farthest I ever made it was to the first castle stage (where you're jumping on the swinging chandeliers), last night I was slightly buzzed and managed to make it to stage 8, the catacombs.

And continuing on my BOF2 playthrough, now inside the tree's dream... game is warming up to me even though it's still grindy af. I like the goofy and unique scenarios the game presents, like shrinking down and entering an obese princess's body to defeat "fattys", or collecting gross insect ingredients for a meal for a cooking contest with a group of frogs that act like French stereotypes...
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36190 on: September 19, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »

The whole Kid thing was pretty dumb, most of the game was dealing with those brats and their insecurities

Not sure which bad guy you thought was solid, he was pretty much as one note as every Yakuza villain so far haha

"I'm the final boss! But in a final turn I will do something that will attempt to redeem me as a kinda sorta good guy! But I'm dead anyway fuck it"

I don't remember the kids being bad, but it might be a take it or leave it thing if kid stuff in games annoys you. I mean since the first game Yakuza has been partly a dad sim with Haruka.

And I just remember the boss guy being pretty cool/badass, not as cool as Ryuji in Yakuza #2, but not bad at all.

I liked it /shrug

Still haven't started Yakuza 4 yet. I think I need at least 2 year breaks between each of these games since they're so similar. Though I'll probably play 7 next since at least it plays different.

Bebpo

« Reply #36191 on: September 20, 2020, 12:47:39 AM »
Almost done with Hajimari no Kiseki, unlocked the final dungeon and the game map is like "hey now you can go everywhere in the world and there's new NPC dialogue in every screen", and I've unlocked all the 3rd style doors & mini-games, but I've only watched five doors so far out of

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

total, and they're decently long around 20-30 mins each. So probably gonna take another 5-10 hours to talk to all NPCs and watch the rest of the doors and then figure a few hours of final dungeon & cutscenes so maybe 10-15 hours left. Should finish it by mid-week.

I'm around 60 hours now, so probably 70-75 hour game, which is shorter than the 100 hour+ Cold Steel 3/4 games, but then this one doesn't have any questing so it still feels moderate length. It's not short, but not hugely epic either. The game's biggest fault is that the story is just a filler sequel story like when they make sequels to movies/anime that didn't need sequels so they just gotta make up some new situation to deal with. It's entertaining and provides a lot of good character interactions and epilogue wrap up for Cold Steel series and the Crossbell series (the game is more Crossbell game #3 than Cold Steel game #5, I have no idea how that will work in the west with no Crossbell still).

At this point before all the final dungeon crazy shit that usually goes down in a Trails game, I'd say the story is like a 7.5/10 and the rest of the game design is pretty much perfect for a Kiseki game. If this had an exciting, intriguing or emotional story on the quality of Kevin's story in The 3rd rather than a filler low-stakes side story, it'd probably be one of the best games in the series. Can't judge how the doors compare to the 3rd since I still need to watch the bulk of the them, but I do appreciate there's no unlock requirements this time around since some of those mini-games in The 3rd were brutal to unlock the doors.

Also the story in this one is kind of really weird in the explanations, like almost jump the shark kind of weirdness for a side story they will waive away and most likely never mention in the future games. There's been a lot of mumbo jumbo shit in the previous games, especially in Cold Steel, but this is like the most out there. I feel like the story is straight out of a Super Robot Wars game or something as in hokey B-movie sci-fi. Ys IX's story is much better than this and all 4 Cold Steel game stories.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 12:52:34 AM by Bebpo »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36192 on: September 21, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »
Does Hajimari re-use a lot of the assets from CS1-4 or is it self-contained? One thing that frustrated me about Sky 3rd was how much was reused (especially in chapter 6)
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36193 on: September 21, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
Does Hajimari re-use a lot of the assets from CS1-4 or is it self-contained? One thing that frustrated me about Sky 3rd was how much was reused (especially in chapter 6)

There's almost no new locations or characters in the entire game. Just like 3rd.

Most of the new areas are areas from the Crossbell games (Zero/Ao) that didn't make it into CS3/4. Basically they've remade the entire Crossbell world in 3d at this point. Which is interesting because with like 75%+ of all the character models/npc models/town/city/dungeon models in Zero/Ao remade in the engine if they weren't such a small company it'd almost make sense for them to remake Zero/Ao on the new engine so they could finally have a version to sell in the west.

But if you've played Zero/Ao/CS1-4 there's definitely a bit of lack of adventure & exploration since it's all just areas you've been too and characters you know (mostly). Which still works like it did in 3rd and is fine, but it does get me a little excited for Calvard's entirely new country and locations to explore.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36194 on: September 22, 2020, 10:04:59 AM »
I haven't played Zero/Ao yet (waiting for official English versions, hoping those ports get announced for the west, if not I'll go Geofront), so the areas will feel pretty new I think.

Anyways - time to storm the church in BOF2!
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #36195 on: September 22, 2020, 07:35:47 PM »
Had my best run in Hades and got to a boss in Elysium thanks to get a build setup. 25-35 mins in and then it crashed

There goes all that time. Roguelikes  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #36196 on: September 22, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
Got to Underworld a couple of runs later and got wrecked with all the poison and stuff ><

MMaRsu

« Reply #36197 on: September 24, 2020, 08:47:51 AM »
I need to get in on Hades I think

kingv

« Reply #36198 on: September 24, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
Got to Underworld a couple of runs later and got wrecked with all the poison and stuff ><

I got to the surface once and died on the boss there when he was almost dead. Had a godly build

Nintex

• moved to the left
« Reply #36199 on: September 24, 2020, 06:08:02 PM »
74 stars

Shifty Sand Land is garbage
🤵🏼

Spieler1

« Reply #36200 on: September 25, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »
Bomberman Tournament - How on earth did I never hear anyone talk about there being a Zelda game with Bomberman?  :doge This is cool, even if not too deep. Worst part was the running speed in the beginning, but thankfully that improves after the first dungeon.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36201 on: September 25, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
Up to the final dungeon in BOF2, but the guide I'm following says I need to do some SERIOUS grindan... so time to get on that. Also gonna start Legend of Dragoon soon.
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #36202 on: September 25, 2020, 05:56:13 PM »
i'm interested to hear your take on dragoon; the only people i've ever heard praise it were ones who were kids when they played it
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #36203 on: September 26, 2020, 11:18:02 AM »
i'm interested to hear your take on dragoon; the only people i've ever heard praise it were ones who were kids when they played it

Yeah I hear so many divisive opinions about it... either "one of the best games ever" or "mediocre af", but I do love that PS1-era prerendered background aesthetic. It's supposedly one of the best selling RPGs ever in America, it's hard to believe I never bothered with it back in the day (maybe some reviews turned me off?).

And back to game playing - I beat Sonic Chaos for the Master System. The levels felt super short and empty, and the jump physics were weird (especially since the screen jumped forward a few pixels whenever you turned). I didn't get all the chaos emeralds so I got the bad ending... some of the music was cool though.
^_^

Spieler1

« Reply #36204 on: September 26, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »
Mega Man Zero 4 - Was looking forward to finish the series with what many claim is the best entry. At first I was very glad to see the difficulty back. Level design is great. But now it's getting so hard, I don't know if I'm just playing wrong. Particularly because there's some kind of crafting system that's extremely shitty and intransparent. I am certain that I need fundamental power-ups at this point, but no one tells you how to build them. Not interested in cheesing through games with save states either - annoying as fuck.

Bomberman Tournament - Got timed bombs :lawd Making a Zelda progression system out of Bomberman's usual power-ups fits pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:47:19 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #36205 on: September 26, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »
Beat Hajimari no Kiseki. Took me the entire week and about 8 hours to talk to every NPC again in the world, that was pretty boring and then about 6 hours finishing up the doors/mini-games/fishing log. Did the final dungeon today which had a million cutscenes and finished a bit over 78 hours.

Just have the post-game final door episode to watch aka the only one with heavy foreshadowing like the Grand Master final door in 3rd. Will watch that and then write up a review of the game.

What's interesting is after you beat the game like 3 more floors of the random dungeon open up (a floor takes about 2-5 mins to clear; so that's like 15 mins more of game) and one boss at the end which unlocks the last door episode. Then there's a elevator to the next floor but it's blocked off. I looked it up online and on October 1st they're doing a big free update to the game which will add at least a few more floors, add new door episodes(?), add more mini-games and add more playable characters to unlock (I wouldn't expect much, there's a couple of playable characters in existing doors that aren't playable in the dungeon yet, no one interesting or new) and unlock the level cap and let you boost enemy levels by +50/+100/+150.

The only thing that's substantial out of that is the character episodes. Wonder how many they will add. The episodes are pretty long 20-40 min VNs essentially, so it's not like cheap easy things to throw a bunch in. Also since you have to be post-game to get them I hope they have more stuff for Calvard & beyond. The doors outside of the final one which I haven't watched are a lot less foreshadowing than the stuff from 3rd. 3rd introduced Lector and his relationship to Chloe, Osborne and Osborne v Olivert rivalry, Tida's mecha development plan and plan to chase after Ren and the main game introduced some more stuff with the Church and Demons and whatnot through Kevin/Reese's story. It definitely got you interested in Crossbell/Erebonia. The doors in this new game are mostly slice of life episodes with a few subplot wrap ups and epilogues for characters that got screwed out of them in Cold Steel 4.

Anyhow hope the last door gets me hyped for Calvard. Right now I'm mildly interested, but there's no exciting hook yet.

Bebpo

« Reply #36206 on: September 26, 2020, 09:44:20 PM »
Ok, looked on Falcom's main page for the Oct 1st update to Hajimari.

4 new door episodes, all of them look like slice of life filler although one should be fun.

and then there's a 5th episode called "Beyond Hajimari no Kiseki..." that is...3 short novels like Ren's backstory in 3rd where it's just writing with some art that is all about set up for Calvard. I guess that's cool. I get they haven't done the art assets for any new characters so I see why they're not doing them as full episodes. Better than nothing I guess.

Bebpo

« Reply #36207 on: September 26, 2020, 11:55:26 PM »
lol, that last door in Hajmari was something. For a series that is nothing but vagueness and foreshadowing, it pretty much just makes a bunch of reveals in 3-4 mins and then it's done.

*edit* actually I hated CS4 so much I forgot the post-credit scene reveals in that one. Hajimari adds some stuff but a lot of it is just repeating info in CS4's post-credit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:05:01 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #36208 on: September 27, 2020, 02:06:45 AM »
Also I'm pretty sure the last 30 seconds of the credit roll in Hajimari no Kiseki is Trails PS5 engine test. At the end of the credit roll it suddenly cuts to a modern Tales-looking game engine which looks about a generation above current visuals and then the character runs out to their friends and you see a huge open green grass field.

With the talk of the next game being action-gameplay, I could see them trying to do the big green grass fields like Tales/Xenoblade/etc...

Bebpo

« Reply #36209 on: September 27, 2020, 07:17:03 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hajimari-no-kiseki-cold-steel-5-crossbell-3-import-spoiler-free-review.296246/

Finished up a review for Hajimari. Didn't talk about the story at all since CS4 isn't even out in the west so it's kind of a weird review and more just a breakdown of it. Overall I think it's a good, but not great game. I'd probably rank the Trails games like this:

Zero > Ao > Sky 3rd > Cold Steel 3 > Sky SC > Hajimari > Cold Steel 2 > Cold Steel 1 > Cold Steel 4

I generally like all of them through CS2, I think CS1/4 are the only games in the series I straight up didn't enjoy.