Author Topic: Your happiness depends on your ability to lie to yourself.  (Read 534 times)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Your happiness depends on your ability to lie to yourself.
« on: December 09, 2006, 03:26:01 AM »
Can you re-learn how to lie to yourself?

Unless you had horrible upbringings or cruel schoolmates, some of us never knew our shortcomings until High School or College. What kept us from being self-aware? It was our ability to lie to ourself. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Was it a method of coping ... or was it just an immature mind?

Can you beat bouts of depression by "rewiring" your own brain? Isn't depression just the result of thinking too much? Of having a pronounced cognitive awareness of oneself?

Maybe, we are paralyzed by too many choices. Maybe we need to create a new fishbowl for us to live in.

http://www.videosift.com/story.php?id=22504#leavecomment

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:27:48 AM by ToxicAdam »

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
Re: Your happiness depends on your ability to lie to yourself.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:29:13 AM »
I always thought your hapiness depends on your ability to lie to others. I've been getting it wrong this whole time!
UNF

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:30:23 AM »
I've known my shortcomings for as long as I can remember.
AMC

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 03:31:25 AM »
I can remember being blissfully ignorant of myself until very recently.  :'(

G The Resurrected

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 03:44:36 AM »
I used to be happy cause I knew who to lie to and how to and it would make things better and I would be happy. Now I'm just a loser and am horribly lonely and depressed cause the things I've done.

When I find happiness again I'll let ya know where I find it. But for now I do not agree with this idea of happiness.

etiolate

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 04:54:36 AM »
I'm a rather aware person, which includes self-aware, and it really makes me hate the non-aware because the idea of "I can just smile through the bad stuff" can be so false and harmful to not only the self but others that I think it's become one of our major problems as a society.  Cognitive  psych has its limits, it has a point where it becomes unhealthy.

BUT

That's not what that video was about.  Choice does indeed add stress and can become overwhelming. Of course, the best way to fight this is to realize there is no perfect choice, that there is always room for error and failure, so that when whatever you choose is not the end-all be-all, it isn't a huge dissapointment, and it isn't that large a stress factor. You have to learn what is important.

So it's not really choice that is the enemy, but expectation. Having choice does not mean you will finally get exactly what you want, it means that you will get a closer aproximation to what you had thought you wanted before actually having the thing.

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »
I guess I'm just lucky that I'm perfect in everyway. 
HOT