Author Topic: Borecast Episode 11: Making Friends At E3, The Playlist, RoboMomma 4  (Read 4497 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Direct Download link - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast11.mp3

It's Deja Vu all over again as Doug and Kevin comment on the various news which came out of E3! Are you sick of E3 yet? Doug's just sick in general, but soldiered through the entire show.

SEGMENT ONE: ALL YOU NEED IS ICE CUBE

We start off with an overview of what E3 is for the unaware, and Doug reflects on his E3 '99 trip with a special celebrity encounter.

(17:42) Then we offer up some commentary and observations on the console conferences and news, touching on Rock Band: Beatles, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Facebook & Twitter on XBL, Sony Cheerleaders, Wii Vitality Sensor, MAG, and Cammie Dunaway.

(34:40) Xaggle, Saggle, and Waggle - We ponder the console version of the question "Is it the size of the boat, or the motion in the ocean?"

(1:03:40) The PSP Go! We're not here to make friends.

(1:15:30) Mod Nation Racers.

(1:19:45) Doug gives his impression of the show and games announced, and we make even more friends with some discussion about the snarky side of gaming journalism and culture.

SEGMENT 2: THE PLAYLIST, ROBOCOP 3, CONTEST WINNER

(1:30:25) Red Faction: Guerilla
(1:41:10) Knights in the Nightmare
(1:44:35) Devil Summoner 2
(1:47:45) Crimson Gem Saga

(1:48:55) Borecast Se7en Challenge - Robocop 3, the worst challenge yet.

(2:04:00) Super Robot Taisen Contest entries read, winner announced

(2:09:00) Listener comments, and Kevin finally gets around to explaining the Robocop/Big Momma connection. It's painful.

We'll talk to you all again on June 22nd!
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: Borecast Episode 11: Making Friends At E3, The Playlist, RoboMomma 4
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
Awesome. This just made my day.
©ZH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »
Thank you!  We're kind of mean in this one, at times.

This is probably the last extra-length episode until the end of Summer.  We both have a lot going on.  Expect episodes to be around an hour or so for the duration.

GAF link, for Prole - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364574
sup

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:35:05 PM »
Sweet! Will give a listen right now, we're kinda slow here at work anyways.
うぐう

Veidt

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:36:46 PM »
Sweet. Can't wait to listen to it.  :]

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
Downloading now, can't wait to listen!
HURR

Veidt

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
haha Kevin is so right. When you start to feel that proxy shame, I have that all the  time.  "Just keep going!" So true :lol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »
most of it's already been said elsewhere  :-\

note:  i hadn't listened to the latest ListenUp at the time we recorded, and some person on there hit every one of my notes about Project Natal
sup

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
Excellent. I'll grab it and listen tonight.
fek

Oblivion

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:41:06 PM »
Nice podcast as always. Regarding the Cammie Dunaway thing, though:

1. I don't think Cammie was not smiling because that's what the media wanted. To me at least it seemed like she was just pissed from last year.
2. I gotta say, even if she was was trying to appease everyone else, I don't see the outrage. Stuff like that happens all the time.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
Holy shit at 2 hour show. I was going to listen to this on my way home but it's too big to burn on a cd.  :lol
©ZH

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 08:37:10 PM »
I liked this.
Boo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »
Thanks!  I had a good time editing this one, although I annoyed the hell out of myself by having to silence out 50% of my own mongoloid giggling.
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 11:24:44 PM »
The E3 segment was good.  There were some things that were missed about saggle, but it's no big deal because a lot of people don't really notice it either.  The "sensor bar" for saggle is the playstation eye, which is the upgrade eyetoy.  Body tracking, and specifically head tracking, have been shown to work using the camera alone.  It's not as advanced as xaggle (since that uses two camera to sense depth similar to how humans use two eyes) but those features are there.  I think it's the way it was shown that makes people believe it is only a an advanced version of the wii remote.  Even so, there is the augmented reality type stuff it is capable of doing too.

It is basically between what Nintendo and Microsoft are doing.  Microsoft can just as easily have a specific remote style controller and it will be covered just fine.  I'm hoping the opposite also happens and Sony realizes that they have had the PS Eye out for a while now and done nothing with it.  Simple things like navigation with hand gestures and even vocal recognition (it has a mic on it) should be possible without any problem.  They pretty much released the camera for the sake of having the camera and ignored it ever since. 

And PSP Slim has a proprietary cable.  It does USB, AC and TV out using the same connection, but not all at the same time.  It's pretty ridiculous how crazy Sony went with trying to avoid piracy.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »
Thanks!  I had a good time editing this one, although I annoyed the hell out of myself by having to silence out 50% of my own mongoloid giggling.

Your giggling cracks me up, actually.
fek

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:36:12 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't really find any specifics about the Saggle until after we'd recorded.  I knew it was the PSEye, that was a slip of the tongue to keep calling it the Eyetoy (do they even make those anymore?)

I bought a PSEye for LBP and was disappointed to find out that it takes really, really shitty pictures no matter how much you adjust for lighting.

Word on the street is that LBP PSP is pretty frustrating to play with that nub.  Same level-hopping problems as the PS3 version.
sup

cool breeze

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 11:44:59 PM »
yeah, finding stuff on saggle is difficult because it doesn't have a name.  It's easiest to just look at the stuff worked on by Richard Marks (the guy who presented it).  I don't know why I got involved in searching for it.  I think it's because I find it funny that a lot of these technologies were just sitting there for a long time now and Sony didn't do a thing with it.  Like, back at E3 2005, they showed the same stuff they showed at this E3, just colored cups instead of colored balls on remotes.  This is the same E3 where Nintendo first unveiled the Wii; before they even showed any footage of games played on the thing.

and LBP PSP just confuses me.  It's LBP for the PSP...yeah, I don't get it.  They should have made it a true 2D platformer.  Basically, it should have been an expanded version of Mega Man Powered Up.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 11:50:12 PM »
hopefully they'll give you the option to use the D pad

bright side is there won't be nearly as many crappy user levels to dig through as the ps3 version
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 12:07:37 AM »
sweet, i've been looking forward to the E3 episode. I'll listen tomorrow. Good werk gentlemen
jon

cool breeze

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »
Wolfenstein
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211573/?hd=1&tag=live-schedule

Battlefield 1943
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211578/?hd=1&tag=live-schedule

Batman Arkham Asylum
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/142/14273491/vids_1.html

yeah, a lot of the big sites don't seem to go out and get impressions/videos of smaller games.  The ones you mentioned have some (posted above) but some only have poor video from European sites.  There is only one video of the new Jak and Daxter for PSP/PS2 and it's from a site  called gamekyo or something; the guy playing barely knows how to jump and you can hear another guy flirting with someone else.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 01:35:44 AM »
550 megs?  That is impressive.  Man, that BF1943 footage took me back.  I put a lot of hours into BF1942.  I love the grenade-throwing animation.  Haha, popping the parachute a couple of feet before you hit the ground looks like it's still in.  That destruction looks great.  Definitely buying this.  Hope it's shareable on PSN.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:09 AM »
wolfenstein looks okay, that throat shot was both disgusting and hilarious

regenerating health is the pits, though - no more cold and hot meals :(

also, this comes out in august and they still aren't talking about multiplayer, hmmm
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 01:59:02 AM »
arkham asylum looks great

not thrilled with the way batman looks, and the dialogue/some of the voice acting is sort of busted, but it looks like a blast to play

:lol at half a dozen gargoyles inside each room
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:02:43 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
Great job on the episode, loved all the nerdy video game talk and the discussions about the 3 Atlus games... Knights in the Nightmare and Crimson Gem Saga sound right up my alley!
^_^

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »

Batman looks like the best movie Batman ever.

You might of heard of him, he's kinda a big actor or something.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
GEORGE CLOONEY.
[close]

they made him too much of a musclebound oaf

i prefer it when batman is portrayed with a leaner, more acrobatic look

also not really crazy about the painted-on costume and cowl, he looks more like a wrestler than a psychotic vigilante

I dunno what happened to Bloodwake, btw.  He PMed me telling me what he was going to review for the show, but I never heard from him again, and I haven't seen him on the board in a few days.

sup

cool breeze

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »
The only thing I don't like is the cowl.  His head looks way too small compared to his body/shoulders, and the ears are too long and go inward.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
i know, it makes him look like a microcephalic :lol
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
Knights in the Nightmare and Crimson Gem Saga sound right up my alley!
Crimson Gem Saga is awesome. I've played the first few hours of it, and its great. The dialogue, while not anywhere near perfect translation, is actually very good and funny.

Great job on the episode guys, I've only listened to the E3 impressions so far and its very entertaining. Eel, your sniper game idea with camera interaction sounds awesome. I also think it would be cool to lean with actual movements in a shooter, as long as its not required in the game. As a natural reaction type thing, it could be cool
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 12:52:04 PM by Kestastrophe »
jon

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 01:15:33 PM »
I LET ICECUBE WIN :rofl :rofl

sooooooo awesome

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
well, as i said, he probably coulda won anyways, since he seemed to know the game

but better safe than CURBSTOMP'D
duc

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
Basically this is what happened:

I had not one, but two guests for a dual installment of the reviews. They both dropped the show last minute and I just said fuck it.

I'm coming back to post more often, since I'm done with forum breakdowns helped along by the adoring drama leeching public. That is, if I can please quit getting PMs blaming me for EB sucking. I would appreciate that.
HLR

cool breeze

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »
I don't know if Prole's reasoning for why people like the Ueda games is true for the majority or not, but I don't agree with it.  I consider both Ico and SotC to be platformers that started sub-genres I like.   Ico's platforming was what was in the PS1 Tomb Raider games and making it a lot better, then Prince of Persia took that style and from there Tomb Raider Legend.  SotC was the first platformer that was more about scaling open worlds and not just jumping through linear levels.  Crackdown, Infamous and Assassin's Creed are kinda in the same.  I don't know what The Last Guardian will do yet.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »
I had a trip today and listened to it!

Segment One: The Ice Cube story had me LOL.  The end part was very good I thought.  A lot of gamers (myself included) love to just dogpile on games.  It is even worse when it is entirely without merit (I feel this way about the Dynasty Warriors games).  I think a lot of it has to do with image.  These young podcasters feel the need to be edgy or the feeling of "OMG, he went there!!!"  As a result, you get a lot of guys laying it on too thick and making themselves look dumb while doing it in order to attempt to maintain their image.  I still have yet to understand why people are so emotionally invested into video games.

Not saying I haven't made a bunch of bitter bullshit that in hindsight, looked dumb.  I just think that a lot of these podcasters and gaming journalists focus more on their image than, well, journalism.  One of the biggest roadblocks gaming journalists need to overcome if they ever want gaming journalism to be taken seriously.

Segment Two:  I will admit that I didn't even think about Red Faction.  I owned the original on PS2 and skipped the sequel.  The description (driving into a building with a dump truck, collecting hostages, and then driving off in said truck) made it sound like it is worth checking out.

I imagine those BMH and Robocop 3 were put together because there was high inventory and wanted to clear a few units out.  You could also argue that both movies are great for when you're bored and just don't want to emotionally invest yourself in a movie.  You want something that just passes time and it seems like both films will do the job.  Great for a lazy Sunday.

Very good podcast guys.
🍆🍆