Author Topic: Borecast Episode 12: Fanboy Gitmo, The Playlist, Indefensible, Listener Mail  (Read 4930 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
WARNING: Filthy mouths ahead.

direct link - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast12.mp3

SEGMENT ONE: FANBOY GITMO

Doug and Kevin discuss fanboys - what they are, how they ruin every hobby their slimy little claws scrape across (with a particular focus on video game and comic book fanboys). We also reflect and cringe on our own fanboy tendencies, answer a listener request, and take our first tentative steps down the road to depravity by introducing each other to the perennial guy game of humiliation called Either/Or.

Send your horrific/hilarious tales of fanboyism to comments@borecast.com - or drop them right here in this thread.

SEGMENT TWO: THE PLAYLIST, INDEFENSIBLE, LISTENER MAIL

We talk about some recent games we've been playing, rant a bit about wireless routers, Doug gets a full house, read and respond to some listener comments. Also, Either/Or escalates. There is no turning back now.

(33:25) Class of Heroes for the PSP
(38:53) Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP
(46:30) Prototype

Something Awful Prototype review - http://www.somethingawful.com/d/video-game-article/prototype-dick-mercer.php

(51:07) Indie puzzle game Blueberry Garden
(55:28) 1 vs 100 on Xbox Live

(59:03) Wireless routers are all terrible pieces of shit

(1:04:00) INDEFENSIBLE - It's double the misery as Doug has to defend those aging troll dolls Mary-Kate and Ashley. Prepare to be offended! Also, a side-track into taking a crap on Jon & Kate Plus 8.

(1:13:45) We read and respond to some listener comments. Lot of Waggle, Xaggle, and Saggle here. It ends on a terrible Either/Or note.

We'll talk to you again on July 6th!

sup

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
Downloading.

Hopefully this will help me get through my day. 

:piss work :piss2
HURR

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
Downloading.

Just think about me and you on a trip in the mountains and we sleep in a tent together like brokeback mountain but instead of gay we are super gay.  wat?
:)

tehjaybo

Downloading.

Just think about me and you on a trip in the mountains and we sleep in a tent together like brokeback mountain but instead of gay we are super gay.  wat?

Now sitting at work and fully erect.   :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Make it happen.   :-*   Let me know when.
[close]
HURR

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
I'm still working on episode 10. :'(
brb

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

tehjaybo

Just finished.  Again, bravo for something I can listen to at work and get some amazing laughs, along with agreeing through most of it.

Fanboy story without your usual fanboys.  I work at a game retailer that I'm not allowed to speak about online (it's in our manual that if we do, we could lose our job, but if you want a Game, Stop on by).  It was the UFC 2009 release, and I was working for the first time in a couple of months.  Keep in mind, I live in Kentucky.  Our most dreaded releases are fighting games and NASCAR games.  "That game... you know, OH NINE" is one of our popular sellers.  Anyway,  I was working the door, and was talking with some of the customers.  One of them was dressed like an MMA fighter (because he was one, he just wore his gear to the store).  Another gentleman walked up to him, and started yelling about the first guy sucking at UFC games.  They went back and forth for a few minutes about how they could kick each others' asses at the game, as well as in the ring, until finally, the second guy pushed the first one into the wall.  The first guy pulled his fist back at about the same time that the store manager turned around and threatened to call the police if it went any farther than it already had.  We almost had a fucking fist fight in the prering line of our store over who was better at a UFC game. 

And the usual fanboy story.  Halo 3 release day, the line started at 4AM the day before.  Someone actually sat outside the store for nearly a full 24-hour period.  The only time he came in was when someone was there to save his place, and the reason for him coming inside was to buy one of each thing on the Halo merch standee.  The guy must have dropped over $400 in one day, because he got the Legendary edition of Halo 3, and all that other crap.  And he sat there all fucking day, talking about Halo and quoting lines and events in Halo lore. 
HURR

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Great episode, both content-wise and performance. Probably the best episode yet, imo.

As someone who has never read comics, I enjoyed Kevin's history of the comic market and fans. Hearing Doug talk about Freakanomics very briefly made me wish that there were a book section on the podcast.

I have had to bear sitting through a few episodes of Jon and Kate with my wife before  :yuck. I don't get the appeal. My wife is educated and fairly intelligent, and I doubt that she would be able to coherently defend any reality tv show. Its her weakness  :'(
jon

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
I liked the show again.

All the popular titles nowadays with the sales their having would've been cancelled in the 80s/90s.I hope comics sales rise again back to the million days but I'm not holding my breath.  :gloomy
Boo

cool breeze

nice line up of topics

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Strange as it may sound, the iPhone/Touch and other portable devices might be the saving grace for mainstream comics.  There are three or four apps out there already specifically for reading comics on the iPhone/Touch, and lots of little programs for reading on your phone or mobile device.  Supposedly Sony is working to get comics on the PSN store, as well.  The comics industry seems to be as slow at embracing digital distribution as the music industry was at adopting .mp3, though.
sup

cool breeze

good podcast

I agree with the sentiment of wanting to just play portable games because that is what I've been doing for the past week or two.  It also has to do with me just buying a PSP 3000 and wanting to play it because it's so nice.  Even when listening to the podcast I was just playing Gurumin on my PSP.  And to further make the PSP Go seem like a bad deal, and to help you two keep your pride, just quick comparison of the latest PSP bundle vs the PSP Go alone.  For $200 you get a black PSP 3000, Rock Band PSP, 4 gig memory stick and a voucher to download school of rock off psn.  Compare that to $250 for the PSP Go alone (with 16 gigs inside, but still).

and just to bring up the head tracking again with a web cam (not just the ps eye, to seem less fanboy-ish  :-[), there was a quick HL2 mod someone made where you could test out head tracking using just a web cam of decent quality (site says: USB 2.0 that can do 640x480 @ 30Hz).  Some of the movements are a bit gimmicky, like flicking your head to 180 spin or tilting your head to aim down the scope, but the perspective, lean and zoom options are really cool.  I actually had to use my ps eye (first time since LBP, so at least 6 months ago) since I don't have another web cam and it all worked perfectly. 

[youtube=560,345]qWkpdtFZoBE[/youtube]
http://torbensko.com/software/head_tracking/

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Checking out the podcast and holy crap at the first anecdote about fanboys   :lol

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Just finished.  Again, bravo for something I can listen to at work and get some amazing laughs, along with agreeing through most of it.

Fanboy story without your usual fanboys.  I work at a game retailer that I'm not allowed to speak about online (it's in our manual that if we do, we could lose our job, but if you want a Game, Stop on by).  It was the UFC 2009 release, and I was working for the first time in a couple of months.  Keep in mind, I live in Kentucky.  Our most dreaded releases are fighting games and NASCAR games.  "That game... you know, OH NINE" is one of our popular sellers.  Anyway,  I was working the door, and was talking with some of the customers.  One of them was dressed like an MMA fighter (because he was one, he just wore his gear to the store).  Another gentleman walked up to him, and started yelling about the first guy sucking at UFC games.  They went back and forth for a few minutes about how they could kick each others' asses at the game, as well as in the ring, until finally, the second guy pushed the first one into the wall.  The first guy pulled his fist back at about the same time that the store manager turned around and threatened to call the police if it went any farther than it already had.  We almost had a fucking fist fight in the prering line of our store over who was better at a UFC game. 

And the usual fanboy story.  Halo 3 release day, the line started at 4AM the day before.  Someone actually sat outside the store for nearly a full 24-hour period.  The only time he came in was when someone was there to save his place, and the reason for him coming inside was to buy one of each thing on the Halo merch standee.  The guy must have dropped over $400 in one day, because he got the Legendary edition of Halo 3, and all that other crap.  And he sat there all fucking day, talking about Halo and quoting lines and events in Halo lore. 

we need to read this next ep, kevin
duc

tehjaybo

we need to read this next ep, kevin

Don't forget the accent.  It's key.
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I'll twang it up, don't worry

Swaggaz, I got mad just reading the description of that PSP Bundle, haha.  PSP Go is a straight ripoff.  I'm actually a bit impressed by Sony's audacity.

That HL2 mod sounds pretty cool, think I'll try it this weekend

sup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I had many fanboy encounters when I worked at a now-closed used/import game store from 1996-2005.  Some of the most memorable encounters include:

-Dragoncon '96: We had a booth set up and used our time there to hock Japanese games to the great unwashed attending the convention.  Apart from selling an entire set of Dragonball manga to one of the members of GWAR, one fanboy who stands out in particular was a guy who absolutely jumped at the chance to get his hands on the GREATEST FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME-- I'm talking about of course Battle Arena Toshinden 2.  After wiping the drool from his chin, the guy bought the game and asked any of us if we knew any secret codes.  I, being the rookie, made the mistake of saying I knew the boss code, and then the guy runs behind the booth, gets in front of me, drops to his knees, and proceeds to bow at my feet, loudly proclaiming me his new overlord.  The stench was vomit-inducing.

-The 30 year old Yu-Gi-Oh! Player: In the last few years before the store shut down, my bosses decided to start carrying trading card games, and after they started selling well, started holding tournaments on Saturdays at one store location, which I unfortunately had to go and work at from open to close for a period of time.  There was a regular crowd of pre-teens every week, but also occasionally this group of creepy 30+ year old guys that would come in to trade cards with the kids and even take part in the tournaments.  One unfortunate Friday, one of these guys comes in alone to thumb through the boxes of single cards for sale at the counter.  He pulls out the cards, organizes them by type, and then proceeds to start going through them all-- this took about three hours.  I made the mistake of allowing him to use the store bathroom -the place was FOUL for thirty minutes afterward- and during his absence, I phone another location to tell another employee about this loser.  Turns out he had been at that store earlier in the day, for four hours straight doing the same thing. 

-The Macross Uber-Fan: From the time he came into the shop until the time he left two hours later, this guy did not stop flapping his gums about Macross and how much he loved it.  I got into a "fight" with the manager at the the time over who got to be the lucky one and leave to go get food for the two of us.  He won, and I had to stand around listening to this guy go on and on over something I didn't know or give a shit about.

-The Light Gun Enthusiast: This was a phone call I received-

Me: Can I help you?
Him: Do you have Area 51 for the Sega Dreamcast?
Me: Area 51?  That never came out for the Dreamcast.  Maybe you mean the Sega Saturn?
Him: No, the Dreamcast.
Me: Well I'm sorry, but we don't have it, and to my knowledge that game only came out for the Playstation and Saturn.
Him: Can you tell me what gun games you do have on the Dreamcast?
Me: Sure, let me see here...we have Death Crimson OX, Virtua Cop 2, House Of The Dead 2, and I think there's one more...it's...hmm...let me see...
Him: AREA 51!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Phone Slams Down On The Other End*

The Anime X Overlord: This guy fit one of the anime nerd stereotypes at the time: Pale, skinny as a toothpick, goofy haircut, and tacky Hawaiian shirt.  He looks at the tapes we have for sale and then asks me if I like anime.  I was always hesitant to say yes, so I just said I'd seen a few things, and he DEMANDS to know what.  "Uh, I like older stuff like Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, that kind of thing," I say.  "Oh okay," he snorts, "I'm the president of Anime X, and if you had said Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z, I would have turned right around and walked out the door."  The rest of this guy's annoying question-filled-no-purchases-made "visit" was spent with me wishing I'd said Dragonball.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:04:34 PM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Wow, that sounds like great times.  :lol
©@©™

OptimoPeach

I liked this. The Cliff Clavin comment was pretty good :lol
hi5

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
well, lyte edge just gave us 15 minutes of listener comments :hyper
duc

cool breeze

The Anime X Overlord: This guy fit one of the anime nerd stereotypes at the time: Pale, skinny as a toothpick, goofy haircut, and tacky Hawaiian shirt.  He looks at the tapes we have for sale and then asks me if I like anime.  I was always hesitant to say yes, so I just said I'd seen a few things, and he DEMANDS to know what.  "Uh, I like older stuff like Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, that kind of thing," I say.  "Oh okay," he snorts, "I'm the president of Anime X, and if you had said Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z, I would have turned right around and walked out the door."  The rest of this guy's annoying question-filled-no-purchases-made "visit" was spent with me wishing I'd said Dragonball.

Imagine that times ~20 people and you wouldn't have my one and only experience with an Anime club 3 years ago.

My friend and I sat there as  we watched these people would sing the intro to Ouran High School Host Club, do the Haruhi dance, discuss which Haruhi characters they would role play, have arguments about orders to watch Haruhi and eventually vote on what the next anime to watch was.  My friend wasn't into anime, but I was, and needless to say, I didn't want to be after that.

I just remembered that the leader of the club was some Asian girl they would call *something*-chan.  I don't want these memories  :'(  And these people were adults, or old enough to be in college.

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
So you dragged your friend into an anime club meeting swaggaz? :lol That's awesome.
うぐう

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
I had many fanboy encounters when I worked at a now-closed used/import game store from 1996-2005.  Some of the most memorable encounters include:

-Dragoncon '96: We had a booth set up and used our time there to hock Japanese games to the great unwashed attending the convention.  Apart from selling an entire set of Dragonball manga to one of the members of GWAR, one fanboy who stands out in particular was a guy who absolutely jumped at the chance to get his hands on the GREATEST FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME-- I'm talking about of course Battle Arena Toshinden 2.  After wiping the drool from his chin, the guy bought the game and asked any of us if we knew any secret codes.  I, being the rookie, made the mistake of saying I knew the boss code, and then the guy runs behind the booth, gets in front of me, drops to his knees, and proceeds to bow at my feet, loudly proclaiming me his new overlord.  The stench was vomit-inducing.

-The 30 year old Yu-Gi-Oh! Player: In the last few years before the store shut down, my bosses decided to start carrying trading card games, and after they started selling well, started holding tournaments on Saturdays at one store location, which I unfortunately had to go and work at from open to close for a period of time.  There was a regular crowd of pre-teens every week, but also occasionally this group of creepy 30+ year old guys that would come in to trade cards with the kids and even take part in the tournaments.  One unfortunate Friday, one of these guys comes in alone to thumb through the boxes of single cards for sale at the counter.  He pulls out the cards, organizes them by type, and then proceeds to start going through them all-- this took about three hours.  I made the mistake of allowing him to use the store bathroom -the place was FOUL for thirty minutes afterward- and during his absence, I phone another location to tell another employee about this loser.  Turns out he had been at that store earlier in the day, for four hours straight doing the same thing. 

-The Macross Uber-Fan: From the time he came into the shop until the time he left two hours later, this guy did not stop flapping his gums about Macross and how much he loved it.  I got into a "fight" with the manager at the the time over who got to be the lucky one and leave to go get food for the two of us.  He won, and I had to stand around listening to this guy go on and on over something I didn't know or give a shit about.

-The Light Gun Enthusiast: This was a phone call I received-

Me: Can I help you?
Him: Do you have Area 51 for the Sega Dreamcast?
Me: Area 51?  That never came out for the Dreamcast.  Maybe you mean the Sega Saturn?
Him: No, the Dreamcast.
Me: Well I'm sorry, but we don't have it, and to my knowledge that game only came out for the Playstation and Saturn.
Him: Can you tell me what gun games you do have on the Dreamcast?
Me: Sure, let me see here...we have Death Crimson OX, Virtua Cop 2, House Of The Dead 2, and I think there's one more...it's...hmm...let me see...
Him: AREA 51!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Phone Slams Down On The Other End*

:lol :lol :lol

Imagine that times ~20 people and you wouldn't have my one and only experience with an Anime club 3 years ago.

My friend and I sat there as  we watched these people would sing the intro to Ouran High School Host Club, do the Haruhi dance, discuss which Haruhi characters they would role play, have arguments about orders to watch Haruhi and eventually vote on what the next anime to watch was.  My friend wasn't into anime, but I was, and needless to say, I didn't want to be after that.

I just remembered that the leader of the club was some Asian girl they would call *something*-chan.  I don't want these memories  :'(  And these people were adults, or old enough to be in college.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

you have an awesome friend (assuming he/she still talks to you).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:58:05 PM by Purple Filth »

cool breeze

I would never force someone to go to an anime club.  We were already in the building playing billiards and decided to check it out, so we did (I decided to check it out myself later on because joining meant you got access to a library of DVDs).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
well, lyte edge just gave us 15 minutes of listener comments :hyper

I could probably turn that into several hours worth of listener comments if I really started thinking back to those days.   :lol

Two more that come to mind:

The Master- This doofus into the shop with his girlfriend and a buddy.  They walk around looking at games until one of them spots the incredibly complex fighting game "Bloody Roar," a title that as we all know takes years to master.  Conan here decides he wants to try the game just so he can show his friends how awesome he is.  We hand him a controller, and shaking his finger, he says "nah bro.  I'm gonna need that joystick you got in the display case!"  Bemused by this, we hook up the arcade stick and set the game up for him.  "All right, HERE WE GO!  CHECK THIS OUT," he says confidently as the first match loads up.  Then, much like a conductor at the beginning of a symphony, he raises his arms back, then proceeds to SLAM BAM JAM WHAM BAM BAM on the buttons as fast and hard as he can.  He did this with two hands, leaving the joystick itself untouched.  His girlfriend rolled her eyes and walked outside, and his friend laughed and went out to join her. 

On the employee side, there was this nice-enough guy named Alex who worked at the company warehouse.  Seemed a bit dorky and was the type who'd get really excited over new game/animu stuff and cross his arms across his chest, playing with his underarms and start talking like Phil Hartman doing his Ed McMahon impression as a way to show his glee or something.  But that's not what was disturbing.  It was his daily ritual of bringing in stuffed animals to work and setting them all around his work area that raised eyebrows.  He liked Lunar a whole bunch, so we'd just call him "Dragon Master."

My store experiences pretty much kept me away from that stuff.  My university did have an anime club which basically went nowhere, and was revived a few years later as the "Japanese Club."  I went to one of these meetings and found it ridiculous; a bunch of weirdos talking about anime (and kinda dressing like it) and of course the one girl calling everyone "-chan", or in my case, "-sempai."  She ended up in the last Japanese class I took before graduating and I told her to knock that shit the fuck off, but it was to no avail.   :lol  There was also this one metrosexual guy that seemed to have a hard-on for Devil May Cry or something and always wore this red trenchcoat.  We liked to call him "Fruity Red Devil."

Cons are full of all that shit.  The few I've been to were either to work at (two years in the game shop days) or to go to the dealers' room to buy stuff.  The latter was basically useless after the anime industry in the U.S. kept on growing and you could get everything online (And later still download fansubs rather than buy crappy VHS copies).  I still remember this 300lbs. Goku cosplayer at AWA '99 whose combination of weird plastic-y jizz hair and lack of shower made the whole room smell like the a city park public toilet.

Got dragged back to one of these cons earlier this year by a friend (his wife loves doing the cosplay thing, but she's Japanese -and hot- so I think it's just for the attention) after he convinced my wife to check it out.  We went there and the whole "con" was just a ton of high school/college kids crammed into one building at Georgia Tech, doing cosplay and stinking of no deodorant (some things never change).  I bought a few things there and then we got the hell out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:01:33 AM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
sounds like you met some "interesting" people Lyte
jon

Purple Filth

Wow Lyte.  :lol

i really think it would be cool if lyte made an appearance on the podcast to talk about his fanboy experiences.

tehjaybo

My god.  Speaking of Fanboys...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489049

I saw a trailer for this years ago, and I thought the project got scrapped.  My friend told me that he had it on DVD, and I had to get it.  I'm actually watching it right now at work.  And oh my god, the cameos. 

Requesting a review on the next Borecast.
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I'll give it a watch this weekend.
sup

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
I'll give it a watch this weekend.

I think you should watch the film I sent as a suggestion to Prole instead.  :teehee

He may be saving it for a future "Seven" challenge, though.

Going to try to listen to the show sometime this week when I have a bit of free time. I really need to get an mp3 player for these.
fek

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I have a Creative Zen Nano i've used at work for nearly four years.  It has so much paint dust under the screen I have to tilt it a certain way to read it.  I've dropped it dozens of times, stepped on it, repaired the clip case with tape, and it's still going strong.  I am beginning to think it's indestructible.  Uses one AAA battery.  Highly recommended for the active working man.
sup

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
Sounds cool. I'll check it out. That said, I don't think I'd listen while working, too much power tool use (don't want to lose a limb from not paying attention) and needing to hear customers if they approach. It's the sort of thing I'd likely use to listen when I go to bed.

fek

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
sounds like you met some "interesting" people Lyte

I actually enjoyed the job for the first few years, but then things went to shit and the customers got worse and worse.   :lol 

Shit was fucked up on both sides of the counter though.  There were some other employees and one "general manager" who were just as bad in other ways, and I certainly ran into more than enough fanboy-idiots that worked at EB and Gamestop.  Prof. Prole covered it perfectly in the Borecast with his story about the Gamestop clerk who was giving him shit for wanting to trade in Shen Mue!

Wow Lyte.  :lol

i really think it would be cool if lyte made an appearance on the podcast to talk about his fanboy experiences.

Haha, I'd probably be too nervous and come off too boring and monotone.   :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:13:48 AM by the lyte edge »
ど助平

border

As for the ending of Drag Me To Hell:

I gotta say I liked it a lot.  When you look at most horror films, there's this period of victory where the heroine has "won" and then all of a sudden the tables are nonsensically reversed -- Jason/Freddy/whoever just shows up again for no explainable reason because they have to set things up for a sequel.  You thought they were dead, but for reasons unknown they survived.  At least here there was some kind of established setup for the twist ending.  Yeah, it's a little slipshod and convenient.....but certainly better than average.
[close]

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
Finally sitting down and listening to this ep. Really enjoying it so far, especially the fanboy segment. Memories of my annual winter stints at my friend's game store came flooding back.

:lol  at "Would you blow a dude for it?", followed by the most damning one second hesitation I've ever heard. I'm gonna go stock me up on some Wolfenstein just in case.
fek

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
:lol

As for the ending of Drag Me To Hell:

I gotta say I liked it a lot.  When you look at most horror films, there's this period of victory where the heroine has "won" and then all of a sudden the tables are nonsensically reversed -- Jason/Freddy/whoever just shows up again for no explainable reason because they have to set things up for a sequel.  You thought they were dead, but for reasons unknown they survived.  At least here there was some kind of established setup for the twist ending.  Yeah, it's a little slipshod and convenient.....but certainly better than average.
[close]

I've never seen it, I swear!

http://www.evilbore.com/forum/index.php?topic=30791.0

sup