Author Topic: A thread discussing monkeys, pirates, grog, rubber chickens, and bad art  (Read 6680 times)

Enl

So after a shitty sequel and over a decade of waiting, Monkey Island fans are finally getting a new game today and a Special Edition of the original next week. Will this long awaited sequel to one of the most renowned adventure series in gaming stick with the fan panned 3d of the hated Escape, or will they go back to the highly acclaimed and timeless artstyle of the beloved Curse?

Nope.  :'(

mmm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
EB pricing prediction-ton:  1600 pts?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
and yeah the 3d is poop, HD 2D wouldve been a better option, but is more expensive I guess.

Space Quest XBLA pleeeeeasse

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Confirmed: LucasArts resorting to garage-sale treatment of treasured IP after epic failure of Starwars: The Force Unleashed (STFU).

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
both look like utter shit.

Himu

this shit comes out this week?
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
shiiiitt

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Telltale games are garbage, dunno why people buy them
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I'm interested, but I was only able to get into (and loved them-- they are among my top 10 games of all time) the first two MI games.  After the creator left, I didn't really care about MI3, and MI4 just looked hideous, with this new game not looking any better like eight years later.   :-\
ど助平

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
The 2d monkey island games were bright and engaging and awesome, style-wise.  That 3d shot looks like a hot mess.  :yuck
omg

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The 2d monkey island games were bright and engaging and awesome, style-wise.  That 3d shot looks like a hot mess.  :yuck

No kidding. The 2D was very vibrant and distinct, it had character. The 3D, especially in the new game from Telltale, just looks bland and lifeless and the character models look hideous.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
this shit comes out this week?

Today nukka. Anybody d/l it yet? Even though it looks  :yuck I will eventually.
©@©™

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
definitely getting this, just need to chose which platform
itm

pilonv1

http://store.steampowered.com/app/31170/

Purchase before July 14 and also get Wallace & Gromit Episode 1: Fright of the Bumblebees for free right away.

:bow STEAM :bow2
itm

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
do we know how much this is yet?

Enl

I think I'm nearing the end of Chapter I (called Chapters, not Parts in this one). So far the game has been a mixed bag for me, but at the moment it's a far better sequel than Escape was. This is mainly due to things feeling a bit more lively than that game did. My main gripe with this one is that it feels like it was rushed out too soon. Secondary characters look like atrocious Mr. Potatohead abominations, and some animations come off as very awkward and unfinished. Also how the fuck do you screw up something simple as point & click contols?!

The music is very Monkey Island-esque but other than the classic themes there hasn't been anything that's stood out to me. Writing can actually be somewhat funny at times, but there have been plenty of cringe worthy jokes. It's a step up from the dialogue of Sam & Max but still not in the same league as the first three games. The puzzles have been pretty easy so far. Nothing truly stumping, but there was an annoying as fuck jungle maze that tested my patience with the mouse controls.  As for the visuals itself, other than the character models the game backdrops surpirsingly doesn't look that bad to me when put into motion at a high resolution.

Here's some snaps I made:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:06:15 AM by Enl »
mmm

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Between the fugly-looking Guybrush in the remake to the meh-riffic Telltale "sequel", this MI revival has kinda went south in a hurry.  :-\

*hugs CMI*
©@©™

Himu

Donkey Kong Country has better graphics than this.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
Donkey Kong Country has better graphics than this.

:lol

I've actually never played any of the Monkey Island games, or any of the old Lucasarts adventures outside of Grim Fandango and um...Maniac Mansion on the NES, if that counts.

Depending on how they are priced on steam, I may bite. Not on the new one though, it looks a bit eh.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
It looks like a wii game.  :yuck
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

It is a Wii game (WiiWare).
©@©™

Himu

Uh no.

It looks like an early ps2 game.

Here's a game involving pirates on the ps2: Pirates: The Legend of Black Cat.

This one shot has better graphics than that shot in the op.

For a pc game by an established developer to look like almost on par with a ps2 game released in 2002 is pathetic.

Does it look better in motion?
IYKYK

Enl

It looks like an early ps2 game.

The PC version looks better than an early PS2 game. The backdrops look rather nice at times but the character models outside of the mains are horrendous. This is what an early PS2 level Monkey Island game looks like for reference:

Does it look better in motion?

Did you not read my last post?
mmm

Himu

I did.

But it's gotta look better than the screens.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
It looks about the same as the Sam & Max games. Or Bone or Wallace & Gromit and every other Telltale game.
©@©™

pilonv1

who the fuck decided to start a point and click game on a rocking boat? distinguished mentally-challenged
itm

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
who the fuck decided to start a point and click game on a rocking boat? distinguished mentally-challenged

:rofl

You're fucking kidding.

pilonv1

I wish
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
monkey island xbla is only 800 points. might have to jump on that. it has the original graphics too
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
eh, wiki says schafer was involved. changed my mind
fat

pilonv1

monkey island xbla is only 800 points. might have to jump on that. it has the original graphics too

that's the remake though
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
uh... duh. nobody's actually interested in the horrible telltale game(s)
fat

Enl

Except for the masochistic monkey whores like myself.  :-\
mmm

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Except for the masochistic monkey whores like myself.  :-\

Surely it can't be worse than Escape from Monkey Island, can it?
©@©™

pilonv1

I didn't mind Escape that much. I'm enjoying it so far except for the stupid camera.

This is my first Telltale Game I've played though.
itm

Enl

I like it better than Escape mostly because there's more life in this game than that empty carcass of a sequel had. But it still doesn't reach the dark, twisted humor of LeChuck's Revenge, or the charm of Curse, or even the atmosphere of Secret. If I were to do one them nerdish ranking grid thingies it would look like this so far:

Secret=LeChuck>Curse>>>>>Tales>>>>>>>>Escape

That's if they don't do something stupid like the Monkey Combat or Herman Toothrot's 'secret' in Escape.
mmm

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
The only good thing I remember about EMI is the mist of time puzzle that they kinda stole from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
©@©™

Enl

The only good thing I remember about EMI is the mist of time puzzle that they kinda stole from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Actually that was probably the best thing about that game. I remembered there was an amusing moment where you would row across a Guybrush from the future/past.
mmm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
i heard of monkey island remake does well, DOTT will get the same treatment...
fat

Himu

I can't imagine DOTT with this Secret of MI remake treatment. I mean, really.

Would they re-do the voices?
IYKYK

Himu

Enl, I hope you learned your lesson dude.

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.
IYKYK

cool breeze

I tried the demo for this and it seemed alright.  Not a fan of the pantomiming that usually comes when these games become 3D, but the dialogue in the intro bit was entertaining enough.  The game looks alright and definitely looks better in motion, though, I never had a big problem with the art of this game; the remake looks ghastly.

I might buy it when all the episodes come out, hopefully there will be a steam deal then.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I'll get it on XBLA for 800 bones, I'll just play it on original grpahics mode. Only Monkey Island game Ive played is the PS2 one. (I know, I suck). Pretty lame considering point and clicks were my favourite genre when I was a kid

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
If the new version sucks (bad visuals, bad dialogue), I'm not buying it.  I can always play the original on SCUMMVM instead.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
ew... black box that cant be stretched and goes even smaller when playing classic mode

ew... voices ARENT IN CLASSIC EDITION FAIL
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I give this game TWO THUMBS DOWN
fat

Enl

Quick early thoughts:

-Redone theme sounds strange, but nice.
-Oh why didn't they have stretch options for the original mode? Better off playing it on SCUMMVM
-Why is there a border around the new version?
-Voices are decent but they come off as a bit off when reading the lines straight. Some of that dialogue was simply not written to be voiced allowed.
-The new character art look comes off as too awkward and rather cheap looking. Flash game comes to mind.
-Don't have a huge problem with the backgrounds since to me they still feel SCUMM like, but where's the :-)
-Is there no devoted pick up button?
-Timing is off on the "suspenseful pause" when calling the 3 pirates "pigs".
-Really hate LeChuck's redone theme.

Both of these attempts at bringing back Monkey Island feel really rushed and unthought out. Oh well, maybe next decade someone will get it right. :-/
mmm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
All they had to do was allow voices in classic and it would be A+ but as it is, the package is a solid C+

ps. i've never beat this game nevermind got farther than the bar so i'm completely clueless. i did 9% already according to the game though and all i did was talk to people.
fat

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
Gee I love these fucking gigantic black bars.  Good job guys.

I'm going back to Burnout.

archie4208

I guess I should play the original on SCUMMVM and save my $10 then?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
i heard of monkey island remake does well, DOTT will get the same treatment...

We need a new Kyrandia game, badly...

I remember playing one of these games at Costco years back while waiting for the 'rents to finish shopping... and was blown away by the music.

So anyways... like archie said - this is a no go, and as someone who never played any Monkey Island games before, I should just play the SCUMM VM versions?
^_^

pilonv1

will get the PC version
itm

cool breeze

Steam version is up in two hours.  If impressions are good on that version, I'll probably pick it up.  I don't get how they fucked up the XBLA version.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I'd definitely like to know how the PC version is.

Tried out the XBLA demo and the border doesn't really bother me, but WHY NOT have a stretching option?

Still not sure I'd get the game on PC anyway.  I'd rather have it on tree-sitty.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I guess I should play the original on SCUMMVM and save my $10 then?

You might as well. The $10 is basically paying for the remake, with the original as an after thought.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
So anyways... like archie said - this is a no go, and as someone who never played any Monkey Island games before, I should just play the SCUMM VM versions?

Absolutely, no question.  I wouldn't even consider this new version unless you're interested in the remake.

Just know that the original Monkey Island does not have a "talkie" version.  I don't think MI2 does either, for that matter. 
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Getting all the insults is a test of patience... I've been doing this for 10 minutes now and still dont have the last one
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
So um... how do I begin to steal the idol or find the treasure. I did the Sword Master no problem. I dont want to use a guide.
fat

Himu

Treasure:

Go to the kitchen in the scumm bar, get the pot. Go to the circus, use the pot as a helmet. You'll be given over 300 pieces of eight. Go to town, talk to the homo with the big ol' jacket across from the three guys with the mouse. Buy a map off him. Look at the map, it'll have dance routine. This route is actually directions to the treasure, but first you need a shovel.

Go buy a shovel from the store near the church one screen above the street with the three circus pirates.

Now head to the forest, look at the map. It should say...iirc: something, right, left, left, right, something, right, left, something or some shit. Follow those directions and you'll find the treasure spot. Dig it up with the shovel.

Idol:

While in the forest for the treasure you should see yellow plant, pick it up. Go to the scumm bar and pick up the meat on the table in the kitchen. Mix the yellow flower with the meat. This will let you get past the dogs and get inside the mansion. Go inside and watch the overly long scene. You'll need a nail file.

Head to the prison and speak to the prisoner. At first you won't be able to talk to him because his breath smells like black mage's doo doo in his pants, so go to the store talk to the owner and ask for mints. He'll sell you them for 1 piece of eight.

Give the mints to the prisoner, ask about a nail file. He'll say he doesn't have one but welp, whatever. He's got a carrot cake but being that he's a faggo he doesn't like carrot cake (wtf). He says he'll give you the carrot cake if you get rid of the rats. To get rid of the rats use the gofer repellent you find in the mansion. Give it to him and he'll give you the cake. Open the cake and you'll have the nail file. Go inside the hole in the mansion to finish that scene.

Enjoy.
IYKYK