Author Topic: Wii: The Emperor has no clothes  (Read 4787 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Wii: The Emperor has no clothes
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:21:48 AM »
So I've spent the past day playing the Wii, and so far I have not been wowed.  To be completely honest, my experience has been mixed.  For every good thing, there seems to be something bad balancing things.

1.  The UI -  Sure, the Channel setup is kinda neat, but the system setup, including the online setup is kinda cryptic in comparison to the 360 and PS3.  Why do the News and Weather channels instruct me to DL an update, when they should say that those channels will be available in a future update?  I feebly tried updating my system like 3 times trying to get them to work before I hopped online and found out the reality.  There was similar confusion when signing up for the Wii store.  ANd why won't it save my credit card information?  That's just common sense.  Similarly, why does each individual game get it's own Channel?  That will make the channels screen unnecessarily bloated once you DL more than a few games.  Why not a channel for each system?  To its credit, once you fiddle with it for a while and have everything set up and going, the interface is a charm to navigate - the only sore points are the "each game gets a channel" thing, and the CC info thing.

2.  The Virtual Console -  I guess it's kind of unfair to pick on the lineup after its only been out for a week, but Nintendo got the launch all wrong.  They should've launched with at least a couple dozen games.  And why does it seem like a ton of the games they have picked for the VC have been anthologized recently?  8 bucks for Sonic?  I can get Sonic Collection for 20 now.  Anyway, Nintendo has priced themselves out of my game in this department, outdoing MS's 360 XBLA prices.  Sony's price of 6 bucks per PS1 game also pantses Nintendo's lame effort.  I do like the DL interface with Super Mario hitting the blocks; a pity SMB isn't available for FUCKING DOWNLOAD.

3.  The waggle - Well, I guess this is the one that really matters, and Nintendo has failed to produce a game that could live up to any promises or fanboy dreams so far.  The waggle works fine in Wii Sports, although only half the games in it are worth much interest.  In Zelda, even though the waggle is only used for aiming and sword swinging, the waggle shows weakness.  In aiming, the crosshair moves slowly, and if you move your wrist quickly, it seems a bit floaty or laggy.  This pretty much defeats the point of precision aiming.  Not to mention that you'd better hope when you raise your hand to aim that you are in the proper, kinda small invisible box in which the sensor bar will record your movements.  It usually takes me about a second to get myself oriented, which again defeats the purpose of precision aiming.  Sword swinging is just flat out dumb.  There's no reason a sword swing that has no relevance to how you are moving should be relegated to waggle.  Here the waggle is acting like a plain old digital button.  It is pointless.  When you are a wolf, you even more pointlessly waggle to attack.  Even if you buy into the IMMERSION IMAGINATION of swinging the wiimote to swing the sword, it doesn't make sense in the context of a wolf biting.

Monkey Ball is a mixed bag as far as controls go.  They are too touchy for precision in the main, classic Monkey Ball game, but the waggle works well in certain minigames, in particular the FPS one, whcih shows that there may be hope in the future for a Wii FPS.  Also, the main, classic game is rather easy by Monkey Ball standards, but I guess that's a design decision based on how touch the controls were.  Some of the minigames have absolutely ludicrous, arbitrary controls.  If people want to argue that waggling makes games easier, I dare them to play the awful, convoluted alien shooting minigame.  You look like you're conducting a fucking symphony, and you still can't control the damed thing with any precision or accuracy.

Zelda, as has been stated elsewhere, is no best of show, graphically.  Monkey Ball looks rather nice, although much like Wind Waker, it uses a timeless art style that is not bounded by technical limitations.  It's definitely too early to make calls on graphics since I have been told that most of the launch titles were basically developed on GC hardware.  That in mind, Zelda is still disappointing looking for even a GC game.

In conclusion, although Sony had a more fucked up launch, their product doesn't at least seem like it's an experiment that can go either way at this point.  That said, I am profoundly worried that Nintendo's questionable concepts will catch on, and Sony and MS will base their future products on waggle wishes.  I am praying that this thing quietly falls out of the attention of anyone that is not a Nintendo fan once this initial wave of hype wears off.
serge

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Wii: The Emperor has no clothes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:26:34 AM »
RAIN BOW 6 VEGAS! U HERD IT H3R3 1st! DUMP THE OOGLY BITCH AND BUY A 360 KIDS!
o_0

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:27:55 AM »
Someone post this to the front page! (with TVC's permission)
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:30:27 AM »
Ill do it tomorrow if Willco doesnt beat me to it.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 01:31:52 AM »
Yeah, go for it.  I've tried to be fair, and I'm still giving the console a couple of months to show its merit.  In its best moments, on the Interface screen, in Wii Sports, and in Monkey Ball, it does show promise that is never truly capitalized on.  I truly believe a game could come out that shows this is an excellent idea.  I have NO IDEA why Nintendo decided to launch this system without a "killer app" that justified its existence.  I mean, the N64 control looked as distinguished mentally-challenged as fuck, but in the context of Mario 64 it seemed ingenious.  Why did Nintendo launch the Wii without a game that displays that their totally new concept is not half-baked?
serge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 01:32:13 AM »
Yes it's a gamecube turbo.  There's a LOT of sacrifices for $150 but that's unfortunately the only way to play games like that.  You shouldn't call it an emperor, it's a gamecube turbo.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 01:32:54 AM »
Failed console. Needs a price drop and ssbb for me to consider
萌え~

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 01:32:59 AM »
Well, to be fair, Wii Sports, not Zelda, seems to be the killer app for the jaded set and the semi-retardeds that seem to love the Wii.
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 01:36:32 AM »
I think of all the things I didnt like about the Wii when I tried it at a kiosk was not the visuals, but the responsiveness of the wiimote. Its so floaty n lagged
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »
Well, to be fair, Wii Sports, not Zelda, seems to be the killer app for the jaded set and the semi-retardeds that seem to love the Wii.

Wii Boxing and Bowling are the things that utilize the remote best.  I spent quite a bit of time with bowling upon getting the system going.
serge

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:43:03 AM »
I think of all the things I didnt like about the Wii when I tried it at a kiosk was not the visuals, but the responsiveness of the wiimote. Its so floaty n lagged

It works fine at my house.

The Wii launch was mediocre, but I'm pretty optimistic because I know software support/quality is going to ramp up. Wii is going to dominate Jappa Land.

TVC15

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 01:45:52 AM »

It works fine at my house.

It depends on what he played.  Like I said, of what I've played, it's alternately felt too touchy or too floaty.

The Wii launch was mediocre, but I'm pretty optimistic because I know software support/quality is going to ramp up. Wii is going to dominate Jappa Land.

I dunno, I'm not even sure the gaming distinguished mentally-challenged Japanese will forgive the faults here.  The DS had a better launch, and more importantly there wasn't a drought of software after it.  There's nothing on the Wii horizon, aside from Wario Ware, for months.
serge

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 01:47:07 AM »
What about that Pokemon game?

TVC15

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 01:47:52 AM »
What about that Pokemon game?

I only bit for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon because it was a Fushigi no game.  No way I suck that shit down on a regular basis.
serge

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 01:50:36 AM »
Oh no I was talking about the Japanese, don't they love Pokemon?  Apparently it comes out this month as well.

I'm with you though, although like every console, I'm willing to wait just a few more months to see what happens. 

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 01:50:49 AM »
The Wii already has a lot more MOMENTUM than the DS did out of the gate. All signs point to the Japs forgiving the faults. Every shipment Nintendo sends to Japan is going to sell out for the first few months. By the time supply starts catching up to demand, there will be more software announced/available. It isn't like they're going to buy a 360 over Wii.

If Zelda wasn't at Wii launch I might not have gotten one, but I don't regret my purchase because I know great games are coming. MP3 is right around the corner (hopefully).

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 01:53:01 AM »
because I know great games are coming. MP3 is right around the corner (hopefully).

lolz lolz lulz :lol
duc

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 01:53:18 AM »
i've never been a fan of non-standard controllers.

The Wii-mote and it's use reminds me of Donky Konga. The Bongos seem like a great, novel idea .. but after playing with them for awhile, it is more of a nuisince than adding anything of value (I was so annoyed by having to clap my hands).

TVC15

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 01:55:04 AM »
What's the control scheme on MP3?  I'm afraid that any game that uses the pointer is going to be crippled.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 01:55:41 AM »
it apparently has two modes: one like Red Steel, and one like CoD3.
duc

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 01:56:40 AM »
It had 3 as of the New York event.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 01:57:31 AM »
did it get rid of scanning and visors?
duc

TVC15

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »
It had 3 as of the New York event.

Well, we shall see how it turns out.  I think there's promise, but I have to admit I have little hope when Nintendo themselves have failed to release a launch app that justifies their unconventional controller.
serge

Shuri

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 02:00:06 AM »
i feel lots of regrets and the bitter taste of broken dreams in this thread.

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 02:00:15 AM »
did it get rid of scanning and visors?

I hope not.

And I'd say Wii Sports justifies their unconventional controller.

TVC15

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 02:04:31 AM »
i feel lots of regrets and the bitter taste of broken dreams in this thread.

Regrets, maybe.  I did spend 400 bucks on the system and games in the past 2 days.  Broken dreams?  Not really.  I've always been a "wait and see" guy on the Wii.  I wasn't blinded by the light, but at the same time, I bought into "playing is believing."  Unfortunately, I have played, and I have failed to believe.  Nintendo can't even show that its grand gamble is worth anything at all.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 02:06:07 AM »
They shoulda let the wii take a gamecube controller god damnit
o_0

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 02:07:33 AM »
They're making money on hardware at the start. It isn't much of a gamble.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 02:09:03 AM »
They shoulda made a controller that you can use when you dont wanna waggle to their shit.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 02:09:13 AM »
They shoulda let the wii take a gamecube controller god damnit

It does have GC controller ports.  You need them to play GC games.  Their backwards GC compatibility system requires you to use one.  For N64 games you also need a GC controller or the impossible to find retro controller.  They have made backwards compatibility slightly more complicated than it needs to be.

You also need a GC memory card to save your game in GC games; also a stone dumb decision.  Sony lets you create virtual PS1 and PS2 memory cards on the hard drive, but I guess Nintendo lacks the technical savvy to do so.
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 02:10:22 AM »
whuuu?
o_0

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2006, 02:11:15 AM »
Not being able to save GC games on the flash memory is distinguished mentally-challenged. They should fix that with a firmware update.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 02:14:24 AM »
Probably will. I think ill give Wii and PS3 a good year. If R6 Vegas is just a taste of what the 360 can do OMG who cares.
o_0

Ecrofirt

• Heavy Metal Jesus
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 02:19:08 AM »
Trauma Center is a fantastic game. Try it out when you get the chance.
8=D

TVC15

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2006, 02:27:10 AM »

I already played the DS game, so I wasn't easer to try a remake.  Is it still worth it?
serge

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2006, 03:11:59 AM »

I already played the DS game, so I wasn't easer to try a remake.  Is it still worth it?
I doubt it.
AMC

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 03:52:37 AM »
With the Wii-mote, in Second Opinion, you can switch tools more quickly and efficiently. The controls are much better than the DS counterpart, at least for me.

Oh yeah, you do know you can change the speed of the cursor in Twilight Princess?

I guess it's just a matter of opinion on the Wii. I love the new controller, I love how it feels with Zelda and with Wii Sports.

There are going to be people who love it just as much as a conventional controller, and there are going to be those who don't. I am part of the former.
HLR

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 04:03:22 AM »
Hey guys look at me I'm going against popular opinion just to be different!!!

Beezy

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 04:15:42 AM »

I was so happy when you were banned from GAF.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 04:17:15 AM »

I was so happy when you were banned from GAF.
why?

MrAngryFace

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 10:48:34 AM »
Popular opinion HERE isnt popular opinion everywhere. In fact if you go by just the general concept of sales, there are far more 'other system' fans than there are Nintendo fans. I mean PC fans, Sony Fans, Microsoft Fans, Atari Jaguar fans.

Nintendo Dogma is not popular opinion; that idea is just something N-tards came up with to feel ok with jamming that wii mote as far as it'll go up their ass. The people who DO like Nintendo for reasons that make sense are the DS owners. Most Wii owners are so lost in their hobby its embarassing.

and thus ends this installment of MAF trolls N-tards.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 11:48:28 AM »

I think what I've said is very well-reasoned and fair.  There's not one game (outside of Wii Sports and maybe some minigames in Monkey Ball) that lives up to the potential of the Wiimote.

I'd give the PS3 harsh grades as well, except there's not a parade of people trying to convince themselves that it is the best thing ever.
serge

cubicle47b

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 12:45:23 PM »
Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz sucks.  The main game and Monkey Target have been simplified to the point that they're not fun anymore and most of the mini-games are really bad.  It's probably the worst game purchase I've made this year.  I'm afraid the best SMB game will always be the original.  Trauma Center is still a great game but I think it's better as a DS game.  Drawing with the stylus is more intuitive than using the remote as a pointer in a surgery game.  Go figure.  Some elements were cleaned up, though, like the god awful magnification system.  I haven't played Zelda yet so I won't comment.

The only place that the Wii really shines (of what I've played) so far is Wii Sports.  Baseball is basically ignored by the house but people are constantly playing Boxing, Tennis, Bowling, and Golf.  They may be simple versions of the real life sports but they never fail to add a lot of laughter and energy to the house and the people playing them (yes, we play them like jackasses, by pushing the couch forward and using the remote to mimic real life).

I don't want to see this style of control become the standard.  It has issues and the perfect standard controller (Xbox360 controller) is much better for so many games.  However, it has a certain appeal.  I hope Nintendo comes up with a bunch of novel ways to use it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »
I'd imagine it doesn't save your CC info in case you sell it off. Like selling your Xbox off and still having your gamertag info on there.
fat

MrAngryFace

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »
Wow cubicle, this is one of the first times I agree with you.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »
I'd imagine it doesn't save your CC info in case you sell it off. Like selling your Xbox off and still having your gamertag info on there.

But the 360 and PS3 do save your CC info.  If I were getting rid of the console, it would be my own fault for not deleting my Gamertag or PSN profile.  I don't want to have to look up my CC info every time I want to purchase something.  Maybe it is a good thing Nintendo's store blows so I don't have to deal with the fuss.
serge