Author Topic: Microsoft Sued for Bricking Xbox 360s  (Read 1444 times)

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
Microsoft Sued for Bricking Xbox 360s
« on: December 11, 2006, 07:22:05 AM »
A class action lawsuit seeks $5 million and free repairs

When Microsoft released the Fall Dashboard Update for the Xbox 360, users expected 1080p, HD DVD, WMA streaming and more. What no one expected was that the update crashed consoles, rendering them mostly useless. Microsoft quickly acknowledged and fixed the problem, and advised those who had bricked consoles to contact Xbox tech support for further instruction.

More than a month after Microsoft’s dangerous Dashboard, a Californian man is leading a class action lawsuit against Microsoft after his own Xbox 360 was disabled by the update, according to Ars Technica’s report.

Apparently, after contacting Xbox tech support following the faulty update, Kevin Ray was refused repair of his console unless he paid the usual $140 charge that Microsoft requires for servicing/exchanging a machine. The class action suit filed in a Washington federal court seeks over $5 million in damages in addition to free repair for all Xbox 360 fallen victim to the Fall Dashboard Update.

Microsoft only warranties Xbox 360s for 90 days following purchase, but users have the open to purchase extended warranty directly for an added fee. Failure rates have been abnormally high, especially among launch window consoles, that Microsoft has agreed to repair all machines manufactured in 2005 free of charge, and issue a refund for those who already paid for repairs of launch units.

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=5291
sig

Tigerriot

Re: Microsoft Sued for Bricking Xbox 360s
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:34:54 AM »
I'm thrilled to see things like this happening. 

As much as i've loved owning an Xbox 360 for the past year, i've been very aware of the horrible failure rate of the console through reading forums, and just hearing stories from people I know.  Microsoft deserves every bit of shit they get for it.  They've made a very fragile machine, and they need to own up to it, and fix this shit immediately.  They have a serious problem here, and I think they've just tried to keep their head in the sand for too long.

I still can't believe how lucky i've been to experience no major problems with my 360.  I have had a few odd experiences, but never a total failure.  So, i'm one of the lucky ones.

I have a friend who just bought a new one, and has since returned it twice due to the machines giving disc read errors, and freezing.  So, it sounds like even the newest machines being sold can be quite dicey.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:13:13 AM »
Microsoft's customer service is horrendous.  Say what you want about Nintendo, but they should be the model.
PSP

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
I certainly hope other companies are held accountable in the future, because unlike what owners of other systems LIKE to believe, this isnt a rare case where some guy at a 360 factory was pouring bags of sugar into 360 units.

Willco: Customer service is easier when youre dealing with 5-10 year old technology.
o_0

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »
Nintendo has been the model way before the Wii.  I never had any problems with any of my Nintendo consoles, but any friends that did had their shit fixed in a timely and free manner.
PSP

Cupil

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:40:51 AM »
2 year warranty should be standard on anything that costs hundreds of dollars

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »
I'm glad to see this happening.  I still can't honestly recommend a 360 to my friends because of these reliability issues.  I'd feel like a dick if they got a lemon.  MS is going to be paying for this in several ways for the next several years, and by the time their next system rolls around, they'd better be Mr. Fucking Quality.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 12:08:21 PM »
I got lol'd at when my Gamecube broke (thanks, Metroid Prime streaming access!) -- I had to go to a pal at NoA who picked me up a new one at the company store.
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 04:25:34 PM »
I'm glad to see this happening.  I still can't honestly recommend a 360 to my friends because of these reliability issues.  I'd feel like a dick if they got a lemon.  MS is going to be paying for this in several ways for the next several years, and by the time their next system rolls around, they'd better be Mr. Fucking Quality.
QFT

I hope this gets somewhere because I want my console fixed for free :hyper :hyper

MrAngryFace

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »
Id recommend a 360 since mine hasnt ever broken. lololololol

*goes home to see it broken*

DAMN U KARMA
o_0

Diablos

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »
What bullshit.

Watch this happen with PS3. :O

Tigerriot

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
What bullshit.

Watch this happen with PS3. :O

It would be hilarious if the PS3 was somehow incredibly reliable, and only Microsoft had the faulty hardware this gen.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 10:37:18 AM »
Well the PS3 will obviously have lower faulty unit numbers since no one is buying the thing lololol.
o_0