Author Topic: 10 years ago, nobody would have believed that...  (Read 2632 times)

Jabberwocky

10 years ago, nobody would have believed that...
« on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
Scenario: you can travel 10 years into the past, and you tell gamers about stuff that's happened in your time, 10 years into the future. You can tell them stuff that they just wouldn't believe. Like...

• The makers of Grandia (Game Arts) will collaborate with the makers of Xenogears (Monolith Soft) to make Smash Brothers 3. In the same game, Solid Snake and Sonic will be playable characters. Oh, and Nobuo Uematsu will compose the main theme (it sounds like some fanboy's shitty April Fool's joke :lol)
  • Square Enix will collaborate with Disney to make a long-standing action RPG series, with Nomura behind the story and characters. It'll be Squaresoft's 3rd biggest franchise, behind Final Fantasy as 2nd, and Dragon Quest as 1st. "Dragon Quest? That's Enix, pal." Oh sorry I forgot to mention Squaresoft will merge with Enix to become an RPG megagiant. :lol
  • Dreamcast is going to be SEGA's last console. They'll go 3rd party and be merely a shadow of their former self.
  • Microsoft will come out with a gaming console and be a major contender in the game console industry. Also, they'll buy out Rareware from Nintendo and take Rare's key franchises, like Banjo Kazooie, Conker, and Perfect Dark.
  • Blizzard is going to create a Warcraft MMO. It will be their biggest game, and the most successful MMORPG of all time.
  • Nintendo is going to take 1st place once again in the game console industry. They'll do so by releasing various "non-game" applications for their systems, as a result, expanding their target audience to old people and dogs.
  • Too Human will be canceled for the PSX and move to the Gamecube. It will then be canceled for the Gamecube and move to Microsoft's next-next generation console, the Xbox 360. After over 10 years of development time, it will still be a steaming pile of shit.
  • Nintendo's next-next generation handheld is going to have 2 screens and the bottom screen will be touch sensitive. It will be the most successful system of all time.
  • Nintendo's next-next generation console is going to have a motion sensing controller as its primary controller. In order to use an analogue stick, you'll have to use two controllers at the same time.
  • The merged Square Enix is going to announce their next installment in the Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quest IX, for Nintendo's dual-screened portable.
  • They'll later announce their next-next installment in the series, Dragon Quest X, for Nintendo's motion sensitive home console.
  • Sony will announce a portable, and it will be the first major competitor in the handheld market.

tl;dr? I'm sure you guys can list more.
8)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: 10 years ago, nobody would have believed that...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:21:17 AM »
...I'd still be wasting all my time posting on internet forums.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »

:-\
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
I like this topic...but I can't think of anything. 

Maybe that Resident Evil would depart survival horror and become an action game? 

oh oh, got one...that Metroid would become a first person game for three iterations on the Gamecube and Wii. 

FML  :-\   (though I didn't really start posting until about 2001 or so)

Jabberwocky

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:42:34 AM »

Maybe that Resident Evil would depart survival horror and become an action game? 

How about this: Capcom will begin to develop RE4, but will cancel it and start from scratch. This canceled version of RE4 will be remade into an action game called "Devil May Cry", and it will become one of Capcom's biggest franchises.
8)

cool breeze

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
wii, non-games, etc.

Powerslave

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »
  • Nintendo is going to take 1st place once again in the game console industry. They'll do so by releasing various "non-game" applications for their systems, as a result, expanding their target audience to old people and dogs.

I lolled.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
  • Microsoft will come out with a gaming console and be a major contender in the game console industry. Also, they'll buy out Rareware from Nintendo and take Rare's key franchises, like Banjo Kazooie, Conker, and Perfect Dark. Rareware will then quickly become irrelevant as game after game fails to light up the charts or garner much fan interest.

Forgot that last part.
dog

Powerslave

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »
Also, Microsoft will just abandon their first console 4 years after launch and focus completely on the "successor" of the first one.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »
Probably would tell myself to enjoy sonic 3 while I still had a working genesis, there would never be a good sonic again.
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »
Probably would tell myself to enjoy sonic 3 while I still had a working genesis, there would never be a good sonic again.

Sonic Adventures was pretty good back when it first came out.
dog

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 08:37:20 PM »
Sonic Unleashed rocks, so does Sonic Rush Adventure

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
I'd jerk off to fat men - hi Joe!
fat

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:17:22 AM »
Most of those things I wouldn't care about (dragon quest shit, Too Human), or probably would have believed could happen in 10 years (motion controls, PSP, Warcraft MMO).  Hell, considering we were all still waiting for VR during that era, motion controls seem almost logical.  The only ones that would probably really surprise me would be SEGA going down, and the concept of the DS.  Maybe the Sonic and Solid Snake in Smash, but at the same time we all wanted Sonic in Melee so who knows.  I wouldn't care about the Gamearts/Monolith stuff, nor did I care about it when it was originally announced.

The only things that would seem surprising are the new genres of games created, PC losing relevance as a game platform, digital distribution becoming so prevalent, and how lag-free online gaming is not only possible, but necessary.

I think it would be more interesting to make predictions about what'll happen 10 years from now, and we bump the thread once the time comes to see how accurate we were.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 04:15:46 AM »

God... no.  Its like they took what made the advance games mediocre and expanded on that.  A good sonic game is about preserving momentum or playing stop&go when applicable.  QTEs and course memorization after a shitload of trial and error are not good game design.
sad

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »
Poland got internet.
brb

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:27:34 AM »

God... no.  Its like they took what made the advance games mediocre and expanded on that.  A good sonic game is about preserving momentum or playing stop&go when applicable.  QTEs and course memorization after a shitload of trial and error are not good game design.

The Sonic Rush games have way, way less course memorization and surprise enemies or death pits than the Advance games. Especially Adventure, though you have to get through crappy minigames in exchange for that luxury.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
mnml would become the biggest genre in electronic dance music. (10 years ago, over-the-top epic supersaw trance was MASSIVE)
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »
- Nintendo brought the end of gaming as we know it

Yep, thanks to Nintendo all those awesome hardcore games that were supposed to come out this generation got canceled in favor of minigame compilations and pet simulators oh wait
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 01:13:15 PM »

Yep, thanks to Nintendo all those awesome hardcore games that were supposed to come out this generation got canceled in favor of minigame compilations and pet simulators oh wait

People said the same about Hitler in 1934...

(yes I just compared Reggie to Hitler)

People in 1934 said that Hitler canceled all the hardcore games in favor of minigame compilations and pet simulators?
dog

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »

People said the same about Hitler in 1934...

(yes I just compared Reggie to Hitler)

People in 1934 said that Hitler canceled all the hardcore games in favor of minigame compilations and pet simulators?

Did you ever wonder why those Petz and Babiez games are spelled with a z instead of an s?
WDW

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »
Games would cost $150 and come with guitars, night vision goggles, drums, helmets.

Turntables too...

Though 10 years ago I kinda expected that there would eventually be some DJing games that make their way stateside. Didn't expect they'd be filled with shitty mashups and cost $150 and come with a table stand in the LE version.
^_^

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 02:16:40 AM »
Nintendo is just doing their own thing.  They haven't "killed gaming" until 360 software stops selling so well.  All Nintendo has done to piss off forumites is make alot of their big franchises more approachable to outsiders.  See the backlash over brawl, phantom hourglass, etc.
sad

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 04:13:51 AM »
...Sony fans would become massive graphic whores and miniature gif producing factories

...Nintendo console would turn into a fitness simulator and Nintendo...well,see below

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/10/nintendos-patented-horseback-riding-controller/
cat

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 06:04:53 AM »
Nintendo started something very, very bad.

Stupid MS and Sony are continuing it with Disco Stick and Netal.

Renigging praise for Natal so soon?  Motionplus golf and excitebots are pretty cool waggle games.  Very nice complimentary motion controls with buttons and mouse like pointer.  If they could get the whole package of motion+hd+live+pointer on a single platform I don't know why anyone would object.
sad

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »
Two things that really surprise me is:

- Sony's near collapse.  10 years ago, the PSX was the hottest thing around and the PS2 was going to be huge.  Plus DVD playback!  All for $300.  10 years later, Sony is just limping along with the PS3, trying desperate to stave off the massive hemorrhaging that the system has cost them.

- Sega leaving the hardware business.  You knew it was going to happen eventually but 10 years ago, I was pretty convinced that the Dreamcast would last until maybe 2003 or 2004.
🍆🍆

dammitmattt

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
Renigging praise for Natal so soon?  Motionplus golf and excitebots are pretty cool waggle games.  Very nice complimentary motion controls with buttons and mouse like pointer.  If they could get the whole package of motion+hd+live+pointer on a single platform I don't know why anyone would object.

It is an objective fact that the Wii controller is worse for racing games.  You are floating in space with absolutely no resistance AND you don't have any kind of analog gas/brake.  A dual analog controller is still much superior to that setup.

However, it did show its worth in Wii Sports Bowling, Tiger Woods 10, Boom Blox, and a few of the games on Wii Sports Resort.  That's really about it.  Every other Wii game I own either uses traditional controls (Zelda, Mario, etc.) or works better with traditional controls (Mario Kart, Punch-Out).  I'm still waiting on some really good games that almost exclusively feature the pointer.  I can't think of a single one.

dammitmattt

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »
Resident Evil 4 on Wii had very good controls, I can hardly imagine how to play it with a normal pad.

It worked just fine on the Gamecube.  And RE5 worked well enough on the PS360, even if it didn't fully incorporate the superior Dead Space controls.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
Have you played it? It really captured that FF charm, even if it was a complete grindfest. I'm looking forward to XIV very much because it will be made casual.

He said IX you tard
USA

billyofcourse

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
Sorry guys, I meant XI not IX.

IX is my favorite PSX FF.

IX for the win.
NOU

Powerslave

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 12:06:04 AM »
- Final Fantasy games would be descreasing in quality after the three monstrous PSX titles.
- There will be a console that lets you purchase stuff that probably should have been on the game disc itself already online.
- Metal Gear Solid would turn into a movie with Hollywood style effects and music. And that David Hayter would change his voice into a lion Snake.