Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 730361 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #1380 on: August 13, 2013, 09:54:18 PM »
The biggest problem with NY rap right now is a lack of songwriting skills and a general inability or refusal to make personal records. Lots of this boom bap resurgence is based around loops, rappity rap verses, and no hook. It's like these dudes have listened to 90s rap but forgot some of the most potent ingredients: crowd pleasing/anthem hooks and hard drums. When I listen to 36 Chambers, Enter Da Stage, Illmatic, etc I heard some pretty good song structure and writing. I'm not talking about lyrics, I'm talking about...the chorus of CREAM.

Bronson and Exquire have half the equation solved. Both have many great personal records, and both have some tracks that get the crowd hype with dope choruses/flows. But they're pretty inconsistent when it comes to songwriting; they have many songs that don't even have choruses. Both also have great, interesting personalities but I don't think they'll reach mainstream success.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1381 on: August 14, 2013, 01:02:24 AM »

jesus christ

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1382 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »
i don't think the Kendrick verse was amazing by any means but these "response" tracks have been straight up embarrassing
Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1383 on: August 14, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1384 on: August 14, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1385 on: August 14, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1386 on: August 14, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
Isn't that every rapper?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1387 on: August 14, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »
A big problem I have with Kendrick's verse is his claim that he's King of New York or the best. The best at what? This dude has two albums under his belt, and while good, how the hell can he claim he's the best? His album wasn't no Illmatic. It wasn't even a Reasonable Doubt or Ready to Die. It's hard to take the entire thing seriously. That said, it's a great verse, but at the end of the day this entire exchange looks childish as certain emcees take offense or throw their words in. It's like hip hop is simultaneously the most self aware genre and the least self aware genre at the same time. That being said, the reason I love the verse is its rawness in its lyrics. He doesn't give a fuck and he shits on the status quo. I like that.
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1388 on: August 14, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »
we're live until 8 pm
www.newtownradio.com

guest host Premrock

Tonya

Himu

« Reply #1389 on: August 14, 2013, 06:13:47 PM »
Escha help me troll the hip hop gaf thread :sabu
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1390 on: August 14, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »
we're live until 8 pm
www.newtownradio.com

guest host Premrock
dope playlist so far

Himu

« Reply #1391 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:24 PM »
God i love trolling hip hop heads. :sabu
IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1392 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »
we're live until 8 pm
www.newtownradio.com

guest host Premrock
dope playlist so far

thank you.

my co-host is photographing Run The Jewels so it's just me and Prem for the longest we've ever hung out.

http://www.newtownradio.com/show-archive/impose-mag-radio-81413/

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:55:18 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

« Reply #1393 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
edit: wrong thread
😈

Himu

« Reply #1394 on: August 15, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1395 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:38 AM »
I'm actually laughing but still :lol
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1396 on: August 15, 2013, 01:28:56 AM »
People are definitely going too far...

still, I cannot remember the last time one verse was trending on twitter for two days straight nonstop, and completely dominated the hip hop zeitgeist like this. I remember various songs shutting things down: like when Drake dropped Started From The Bottom, which also led to countless bums freestyling over it. Or when the full version of Exhibit C came out. But this is one verse.

Ether had an undeniable long term impact. That song turned "ether" into a verb. This is 2013, I tend to think few things have any lasting relevance anymore due to how fast stuff is regurgitated, digested, and recycled. I remember people saying GKMC was going to make these dudes put more effort into their albums. Well since then Meek Mills, ASAP and J Cole have released pretty average albums.

Himu

« Reply #1397 on: August 15, 2013, 02:28:19 AM »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1398 on: August 15, 2013, 07:10:14 AM »

He had me until that end part. The negro looked like he was about to cry as he reminisced on the day Nas, Jay, or Dre dapped him in a noisy club and yelled in his ear "ayo man, keep working hard bruh. You doing your thing, who knows anything is possible in this world." If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, did it really fall? Likewise if a GOAT candidate told Wale he's good enough, he's smart enough, and doggonit people like him...does it count?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1399 on: August 16, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »
Joe Buddens claiming his Kendrick response has been put on hold due to Aftermath/Interscope. This fucking guy. Should have stayed dead after Lil B ended him

:rejoice

Himu

« Reply #1400 on: August 16, 2013, 04:02:53 AM »

:dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1401 on: August 16, 2013, 04:05:12 AM »
omg :dead Every time I listen to Drake I have to write 'Pause' a hundred times in cursive! :rofl :rofl :dead
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1402 on: August 16, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
http://www.sfstation.com/2013/08/16/longtime-morning-dj-chuy-gomez-leaves-kmel/

Chuy Gomez fired from KMEL.  Sad day for Hip Hop  :'(
vin

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1403 on: August 20, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
possible purchase depending on reviews :lol

I'll get it for sure.  His books go for about $3 and are fun as hell to read.

This book came out today.  I'm about halfway through it and hope to be done with it by the end of the day.

So far, it's pretty great.  It may appear to be more focused but it goes off into its usual tangents.  Still lots of great rants.  Still a lot of shit for neckbeard feminists to get huffy about.  He is asking more money for this book ($4 as opposed to $3 for his previous books) but it's still worth it.
🍆🍆

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1404 on: August 20, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
i bought it
i support problematic media
:(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
happy birthday hp lovecraft!
[close]
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1405 on: August 20, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1406 on: August 21, 2013, 12:11:24 AM »
To be fair the NY line is from a Kurupt verse. Dude was feeling himself while writing the verse, I don't think we need to treat it like a foreign policy speech. GKMC is amazing, and outside of the ladies tracks Section80 is great. Overly Dedicated is solid too.

Himu

« Reply #1407 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:31 AM »
Love the production is Magna Carta Holy Grail
IYKYK

« Reply #1408 on: August 21, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
One of those Nights isn't on Stay Trippy? :beli
edit: it's supposed to be on the deluxe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:45:22 PM by Your Stalker »
😈

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1409 on: August 21, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »
tonight we have billy woods on the radio show
www.newtownradio.com
should be starting at about 6pm w/ billy showing up later on
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1410 on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
http://www.newtownradio.com/show-archive/impose-magazine-radio-8213/

Here's the archive for the show.
billy was running late and shows up about an hour in
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1411 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
Cool, definitely gonna listen tonight

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1412 on: August 22, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1413 on: August 22, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
my favorite track on the Ka album gets a video

Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1414 on: August 22, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »
possible purchase depending on reviews :lol

I'll get it for sure.  His books go for about $3 and are fun as hell to read.

This book came out today.  I'm about halfway through it and hope to be done with it by the end of the day.

So far, it's pretty great.  It may appear to be more focused but it goes off into its usual tangents.  Still lots of great rants.  Still a lot of shit for neckbeard feminists to get huffy about.  He is asking more money for this book ($4 as opposed to $3 for his previous books) but it's still worth it.

I finished this book yesterday.

Probably the best book he's put out.  His first book, Mindset of a Champion, was his life up to the time he wrote that book.  His second book, Infinite Crab Meats, was more or less a collection of rants and ramblings, some of which didn't make much sense but I suspect he felt he had to put something out.  This one is a lot more focused but does it in a way that resembles his writing for his first two books.  The only downside is that he could have been even more scathing of Nas; for instance, he completely ignored the utter embarrassment known as Oochie Wally.  Maybe it was for the best.

Worth the $4 in my opinion.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1415 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:55 AM »
http://www.newtownradio.com/show-archive/impose-magazine-radio-8213/

Here's the archive for the show.
billy was running late and shows up about an hour in
I remember liking Billy Wood's last project, will have to check out this new one.

Great ep IMO, I'll focus on the hip hop stuff here.

On Billy Woods: Great interview. I tend to love music interviews where an energetic artist just shoots the shit, plus discusses his artistic process. But perhaps the best thing about it is that he pretty much explained my view on the great hip hop label conspiracy/"industry plant" movement. The business of rap has ALWAYS been about selling albums and making money. People who sit around reminiscing about the "innocence" and anti-capitalism of golden era rap must have been asleep when Run DMC were selling Adidas and Dapper Dan was hooking KRS-One up with swag. If something is popular, labels will flood the market with it, and rappers have always been materialistic to varying degrees. As he said, labels didn't give Public Enemy a deal to spread black power, they got signed because black nationalism was marketable at the time; even LL had a black panther (wearing a gold chain) on his album cover at the time, come on.

Lupe Fiasco didn't get signed by Atlantic because they wanted to promote non-violence and all that shit, they signed him because Kanye West had just released a couple highly successful mainstream "conscious" albums, proving there was a market for that stuff (if the sheen was appropriately shiny). Likewise 50 Cent didn't get signed because Jimmy Iovinne wants the black man to be dumbed down with violent shit, he got signed because he could sell records.

Is "lyricism" coming back? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Kendrick's verse was largely lauded for calling out other rappers, not for its lyrical skill (or lack thereof depending on your views). Most of the reactions and tweets I've seen revolve around that, and the king of NY line. You don't see anyone marveling at Kendrick's impressive use of an extended metaphor towards the end of the verse, and how that style hasn't really been done much since 2000s Eminem. Sure if you read GAF's hip hop forum you read that...but we're a bunch of rap nerds. Most of the kids who thought Kendrick's verse was "hot" are the same people who think Swimming Pools is a drinking anthem. I doubt they're going to start downloading Blackalicious albums or something.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1416 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
The good news is that he wants to come back on.  i'd absolutely love to have him as a recurring guest.

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1417 on: August 23, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
http://animalnewyork.com/2013/byron-crawford-on-nas-gay-rappers-and-why-his-new-book-is-dedicated-to-emma-watson/

Byron Crawford was interviewed for NaS Lost.

You close the book with some pretty harsh words for Chief Keef and the critics you call “cultural tourists” who give him good reviews. What do you mean by cultural tourism, and do you think it’s impossible for a critic or fan, white or black, to enjoy Keef’s music without taking part in it (cultural tourism)? Does race matter?

I didn’t necessarily intend for what I wrote about Chief Keef to come off as harsh, but I guess I don’t have to worry about him reading it anyway, now do I? Really, I was just using him as an example. There might be a new Chief Keef by this time next year. The original could be dead or in jail, god forbid. It wouldn’t be the first time. What I meant by cultural tourist is someone whose interest in rap music — or whatever they’re interested in — is based more so in racism than an actual interest in the music.

The classic example of a cultural tourist is Steve Buscemi’s character in the movie Ghost World. He’s very into blues music, to the point where he collects old obscure records and he can’t stand the idea of a white group playing the blues, and then we come to find out he’s got a lot of Coon Chicken Inn memorabilia in his attic. The equivalent of that in hip-hop is the guy who’s into a lot of LCD rap, supposedly because he really likes the music, but really because he’s amused by the coonery. Some of these people might honestly be under the impression that they like the music, and that’s been the source of a lot of conflict and cognitive dissonance, but some of them are obviously just trolling.
Tonya

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1418 on: August 23, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
I didn’t necessarily intend for what I wrote about Chief Keef to come off as harsh, but I guess I don’t have to worry about him reading it anyway, now do I?
:deadpos :deadpos :deadpos
Hi

Eric P

• Icon
Hip Hop
« Reply #1419 on: August 23, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
The impose magazine radio show is now available in podcast form on iTunes.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1420 on: August 23, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
I'd love to see Crawford and Noz go at it, preferably on twitter, with respect to Chief Keef.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1421 on: August 28, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
Apparently the sequel to Marshall Mathers LP has been announced.

Like most CACs in their 20s and 30s, I consider MMLP to be a classic.  I remember listening to this album almost daily.  When lifting weights for football practice, we always played this album first, much to the chagrin of our drunken redneck coaches who wanted to put a burned disc full of classic rock instead.  Except for the stupid ass skits, everything was great on MMLP and fuck you if you think differently.  Until recently, I had just about everything memorized on that album.

But this?  I don't know.  Eminem's glory days are over a decade old.  I believe he has been on a decline since The Eminem Show, around the time where he felt like he could run a label.  In fact, let's admit that Recovery wasn't even that good - it was a safe album that appealed to the downtrodden CACs (which primarily consist of MMA wannabes, oxy addicts, meth addicts, and disillusioned former juggalos) and didn't have the dumbass accent he used in Relapse.  However it sold gangbusters so I suspect that MMLP2 will be more or less Recovery 2, which is a bad thing.  I suspect the only reason why MMLP2 is coming out is because Shady Records is something of a dud.  It's like Aftermath in the sense that nothing is coming out for it but Eminem doesn't have a Beats type of side business that he can spend his free time on.
🍆🍆

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1422 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »

oy
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1423 on: August 28, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

today just keeps on giving
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1425 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »
i love saints row 4 but i kind of hate volition for putting that shitburn of a human being into the game
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1426 on: August 30, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »

A GAFer produced this for him and was at the video shoot. He said that's real cocaine, and Riff Raff was snorting it  :lol

beat is amazing tho

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #1427 on: August 30, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
I'd wager he's a guy flooring it into a breakdown. He can carry a tune.
:{]

Himu

« Reply #1428 on: August 30, 2013, 04:34:17 PM »
Man, I love hip hop radio now. I can listen to the radio every day now, haven't been able to do that since 2001. I really like about every song on the hip hop charts now.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1429 on: August 30, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
I'll take 2012/2013 mainstream radio over the 2000-2005 snap music+50 Cent combo, and 2005-2008 days of ringtone rap any day of the week.

Himu

« Reply #1430 on: August 30, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
Yep. It's pretty exciting. My fave song on the radio now is J Cole's Crooked Smile. Alright album, but great song.

What were your struggle years? For me, the struggle was 2002-2005. I stopped listening to hip hop and made fun of friends for liking Lil Jon and G-Unit. Listened exclusively to rock these years.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1431 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
Yeah, in hindsight crunk wasn't that bad but blech. At least in 2004 on we had Kanye. Kanye brought me back to hip hop.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1432 on: August 30, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
Crunk wasn't bad, nor was that mini Houston revival. But overall the radio was full of some pretty bad southern rap at the time, plus NY rappers trying to sound like the south. Then the ringtone shit took that shit to 11, followed by Wayne's reign. Thank god all that shit is done. Wayne is still popular obviously but at least I don't have to deal with "Lil Wayne is top 5 DOA!" people anymore.

That trap rap thing is still going on, just not as hard as it was after BMF and Flocka. But for the most part rap is...Drake, Kendrick, Cole, shit like that. Even the worst stuff today isn't making me catch feelings like I did back in 2005 when Laffy Taffy came on.

And I have no problem with 2 Chainz. Didn't like his album but the shit that comes on the radio tends to give me multiple "ahhh" moments.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1433 on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »
Akon is carrying that flag for chocolate brothas. I can't hate on him. He's my Rosa Parks.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1434 on: August 30, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
I remember 50 Cent giving an interview back in 2006 or something where he said that mainstream hip hop was dead and that the future was ringtone rap because artists could collect more money from ringtones than they ever could from dropping rap albums.  That was pretty much the "caught sucking dick for crack" moment for rap for me.

Edit: I've been following rap since the late 90s and this is the best time, right now.  It's not perfect of course because Young Money hasn't fucked off yet but these are pretty good times.  I think the internet is the real reason why it is doing so well because we are seeing all kinds of crazy shit so you have a lot of interesting collaborations which breathed life into something that in 2008 was pretty much dead.  Seeing Juicy J with a NY rapper is so insane and 10 years ago, if you brought up that idea in some areas you would probably get shot.  Collaborations like Run the Jewels just didn't happen.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:22:33 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #1435 on: August 30, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »
Laffy Taffy :dead

omg those were the WORST YEARS
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1436 on: August 30, 2013, 11:15:51 PM »
Remember when 50 Cent first came out, and said he was gonna end all that bubble gum rap shit with r&b singers on the hook?
 :sabu

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1437 on: August 30, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
Laffy Taffy :dead

omg those were the WORST YEARS

still the worst song i have ever heard make it to radio. i just cannot ever understand
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1438 on: August 31, 2013, 12:05:54 AM »
Remember when 50 Cent first came out, and said he was gonna end all that bubble gum rap shit with r&b singers on the hook?

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1439 on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »
that gif :lol
IYKYK