Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 741674 times)

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #1800 on: March 21, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
Hey man, I've dealt with the Outlawz. I can tolerate any shitty rap crew now.

I was just thinking about doing a thread in The Coli listing all the songs the outlawz ruined :snoop

:heh

The Pac stans over there are delusional, smartdumb militant morons. You gonna get negged into oblivion :whew

fuck it I'm doing it, I'll get that rep back once GOT starts  :obama
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1801 on: March 22, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »
whatever it was that was out of sync for me and Pinata clicked back into place today while I was walking around trying to give it another chance before seeing Gibbs play tonight. 

Previously I only really liked "Thuggin" but there was just something in the air as track after track just ramped up and became better and better until the album really solidified in way it hadn't previously.

Gibbs was amazing tonight.  I'd seen him previously and it was good but tonight he was just amped up.  I'd never seen him perform in a venue that had a barrier before so he didn't have those great crowd interactions I'd seen before (pouring Hennessy into cups for people, sharing weed etc) but he was pretty much non-stop, doing Pinata in order pausing the setlist to play Rob Me A Distinguished Fellow of 2011's Cold Day In Hell.

He encoured with an acapella version of Thuggin where Madlib beatboxed and the snares and hits from the beat while tapping the mic's head for the bass drum.  It was pretty great. 

Sadly none of the guests from the album made it to the show, and even weirder one of the opening acts had a song that featured Gibbs but he didn't come out for that track.  It was kind of weird to have the rapper and his hypeman act excited while the headliner's verse floated out the sound system.

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1802 on: March 23, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
Admit it Eric P, you changed your mind after seeing the Needle Drop review :p

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1803 on: March 23, 2014, 01:00:21 AM »
i think i made it 30 seconds into one of those.

like he popped into frame with that smile and i was like "i'm done!"

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1804 on: March 23, 2014, 01:17:32 AM »
I really like that Piņata isn't gangsta superman 100%. He gives a peek into his personal life beyond the typical "girl problems" angle, especially in relation to his father; I always wanted to hear Gibbs discuss his dad being a cop. Plus there are strong "reminiscing about the old days" tracks, an ode to Harold's, storytelling tracks, etc.

I wish Roc Marciano would be this open about shit beyond the image.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1805 on: March 23, 2014, 01:22:42 AM »
Anthony Fantano is a fucking ponce who is just as bad as the Pitchfork motherfuckers
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1806 on: March 23, 2014, 01:36:28 AM »
Honestly his Piņata review is like the perfect example of why I like him. Some hipsters seem to have a condescending view of hip hop, like it's a nice little oddity you shouldn't take seriously, similar to literature snobs who shit on fantasy or horror. And even when they actually like something they'll add an askerisk, again similar to lit snobs ("Gene Wolfe is a good writer but..."). Pitchfork writers often do that, whereas I get the impression Fantano legit likes hip hop.

Sure we disagree on many occasions and I chuckle at the way he discusses street lyrics, but he's often right about noteworthy rap albums. He consigned The Night's Gambit afterall.

HiResDes

« Reply #1807 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
I don't think Marciano really needs to, his version of the mafioso life is overtly stylized and isn't necessarily a realistic portrayal. Marciano's raps represent a somewhat antiquated outlook on the lifestyle. The man in is raps is like the proto-hustler, a man's man, a man whose iron will has sole control of his destiny.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:39:43 AM by HiResDes »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1808 on: March 23, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with Des here.  It's almost like Roc is going for some platonic ideal of hustler rather than anything personal.

also, what does an NYC Freddie Gibbs audience look like?  The answer may surprise you.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1809 on: March 23, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »
Yea, you guys are right about Roc. I'll amend my request and instead wish for more Thug Cry tracks from him.

HiResDes

« Reply #1810 on: March 23, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/cracktracks504/we-made-it-jay-z-x-jay

Jay Electronica x Jay Z - We Made It (prod. Soulja Boy)

I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit. I guess Jay shows up for work if electronica is who he's rapping with. Funny track, Jay E steals the Migos flow and pulls it off, Jay shoots back at Drake, both of them on some pro-black 5%er shit :heh

What the hell, is this real or is Esch on some fuckery, I can't tell I'm at work.

« Reply #1811 on: March 23, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
soulja boy actually jacked that beat
😈

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1812 on: March 23, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
It's hard to get excited over this when we all know Drake won't say shit.

Diunx

« Reply #1813 on: March 23, 2014, 09:16:51 PM »
lol isn't Camel his idol? that gotta sting.
Drunk

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1814 on: March 24, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
knew this would happen
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #1815 on: March 24, 2014, 07:38:20 PM »
 :mindblown

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1816 on: March 24, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
People who jump on stage know what's coming, but at the same time that shit's gonna catch a lawsuit sooner or later.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1817 on: March 24, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
I can just imagine a Warner Bros A&R trying to tell him to knock that shit off as Action rolls a blunt, totally oblivious to the outside world.

Diunx

« Reply #1818 on: March 25, 2014, 01:48:01 AM »
Drunk

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1819 on: March 25, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
Roc is playing w/ Black Milk next month and it's just such a weird combination of acts.  Totally different live styles.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1820 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
I wear a hard hat in the booth, I'm blue collar
My flow's smooth like the butt of a toddler

:rejoice

I'd love to hear Roc over some Black Milk shit. He hasn't rapped much over hard drum production since Marcberg, outside of his tracks with ArchDruids.

That being said, how is Roc live? A lot of his more mellow shit seems like it wouldn't translate well. But then again just based off youtube videos, it seems like the more uptempo and hard drums tracks work live

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1821 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »
i like him live.  he's animated and punctuates his lines with hand movements.  it's kind of weird because he'll pose for a couplet, then move to another pose for the next rhyme like he's doing the robot (or something along those lines).  he doesn't really talk much to the crowd (of the 3 times I've seen him). 

it's solid, but kind of boring.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1822 on: March 26, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1823 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »
Nice pictures as always, man. Did you get to talk to any of the artists or hosts? Man, I'd love to be stuck in an elevator with Peter Rosenberg just to nerd out about the dumbest shit.  :lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1824 on: March 26, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
nah.  I tried to talk my way on stage and had the security guy going for it but his boss nixed it.  ah well.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1825 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »
new Apollo Brown instrumental album on the way

Apollo Brown’s Thirty Eight (.38) is a contemporary throwback, inhabiting the realm of reverent reinvention and innovation. It deftly bridges the gap between ‘70s Blaxploitation soundtracks (e.g. Curtis Mayfield’s Superfly or Marvin Gaye’s Trouble Man) and the hip-hop records that sampled from them.

The tracks on Thirty Eight (.38) are presented in gritty, heavily saturated Technicolor, the scratches and cigarette burns as purposeful as they are happily accidental. These are suites sounding from long barrels held by lone men lurking in grimy project hallways. Tinged with revenge and regret, shrouded in thick tendrils of hollow-point smoke, the songs have all the makings of an epic gangster tragedy. They’re also great when paired with anything Raymond Chandler.

01 Thirty Eight (Intro)
02 Cellophane
03 Learn The Meaning
04 Shotguns In Hell
05 Dirt On The Ground
06 The Warning
07 Cleo's Apartment
08 Sweet Revival
09 Life Is A Wheel
10 Black Suits
11 Never Disappear
12 The Laughter Faded
13 All You Know
14 Strange Things
15 Heaven At Last
16 Lonely and Cold
17 A Wise Man's Woman
18 Felonious
19 Weight In Gold
20 The Answer

Bonus

21 Shotguns In Hell (feat. Roc Marciano)
22 Lonely and Cold (feat. Roc Marciano)

HiResDes

« Reply #1826 on: March 28, 2014, 01:51:16 AM »
Soulja Boy biting Young Thug now,

*DEAD*

« Reply #1827 on: March 28, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »
Soulja Boy biting Young Thug now,

*DEAD*

right on my noooooooo o  o o~~

Three solid minutes of gibberish.  :lol

At least I can understand Young Thug.

Diunx

« Reply #1828 on: March 28, 2014, 02:48:52 PM »
:snoop
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1829 on: March 28, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »

i want to produce stuff eventually. Hell I don't even expect to chop things, just give me some pianos to loop and I'll be satisfied

Beezy

« Reply #1830 on: March 28, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
Me too PD. Trying to convince myself tho not to be dumb by dropping almost a G on an MPC that I probably won't learn how to use anytime soon.

Diunx

« Reply #1831 on: March 29, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »
Y'all can produce on my upcoming mixtape "Straight Outta Baghdad"

I'm chopping some bachata songs as I type this.
Drunk

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1832 on: March 30, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »
Me too PD. Trying to convince myself tho not to be dumb by dropping almost a G on an MPC that I probably won't learn how to use anytime soon.
MPCs run about half that (some 1ks are going for like 300 now) unless you're paying retail. If you're hesitant about spending that much cash and just wanna try out making beats, just grab an MPD and acquire a copy of Ableton.

Beezy

« Reply #1833 on: March 30, 2014, 05:49:50 PM »
MPD?

I have FL Studio and Reason right now, neither of which I know how to use well enough yet.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1834 on: March 30, 2014, 06:18:20 PM »
The MPD is a MIDI controller that uses the same type of pads as an MPC. FruityLoops is a great way to figure out beats. It's funny seeing it go from kind of a novelty to the program half the beats on the rap charts are made with. It's not as versatile as some other DAWs, but it's all about plugins nowadays.

I started making beats with an MPD18 and FLStudio before copping an MPC1000. That was almost a decade ago though, and as much as I love the 1K I don't know if I could justify the purchase in this day and age. I still prefer sampling on it, but you can do so, so much more with software these days.

Diunx

« Reply #1835 on: March 31, 2014, 10:23:54 AM »

:dead :deadpos
Drunk

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1836 on: March 31, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
i...don't hate this?

Tonya

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1837 on: April 01, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
WWE probably didn't know who the fuck he was. They're not all that current on pop shit. Last year's 'mania musical guest was Diddy, that says it all really.
Hi

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1838 on: April 01, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
It's a dope verse but I wish it was in the middle or end of the song.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1839 on: April 01, 2014, 01:52:15 PM »
The only bad verse he has dropped since GKMC is the one on that movie soundtrack, brehs. Think about that.

Did you hear his verse on that Fredo Santana track? It's amazing and features a variety of flows. I'm not concerned at all about Kendrick. Live shows have clearly convinced him that Maad City's style needs to be replicated; it's the song that gets the biggest reaction live. The album will feature more songs like that, but won't be 100% yell rap. So why worry...

Whatever he does will be dope, period. However I don't believe he'll surpass GKMC, and the knives will come out. "It's not as cohesive as GKMC...it's not as good...sure it's great but it's not a classic..."

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #1840 on: April 01, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
I'm digging me some Danny Brown "Old" album lately. "25 Bucks" is dope.

Dude from the D.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:48:31 PM by lordmaji »
:-[

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1841 on: April 01, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
stuff I've been digging this year
(in no particular order)

Nocando - Jimmy The Burnout: Hilarious and punchy.

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata:  I wasn't into it at first but now it's really grown on me

Le1f - Wut: The songs aren't all new, but goddamn they sound so fresh and vital here.  Amazing stuff.

Lakutis - 3 Seashells: I was worried because of the name and the on stage persona / antics but this is a very very solid album which shows growth in skill (if not maturity)

The Dopplegangaz - Peace Khed: I think this is a really vital NY record in a way that we haven't yet seen this year.

Gordon Voidwell - Bad Etud: Does this count? Great in the way that Government Plates was great.  This is a give no fucks release of experimental sounds uncommon for the artist

Weekend Money - Freddie Murkery: Almost in the same lane as Clipping with regards to content, this is a leap forward for them in tone, styles and production
(not a great representation, makes them seem like swag rappers)

Young Fathers - Dead: Vital experimental noise raps.  A Bit more melodic than I normally dig, but so good.  Am going to endure Baths in concert to go see these guys on tour.

Cities Aviv - Come To Life: very, very good noise release.  A bit more restrained in production while being more out there in lyrics.  Great stuff

Isaiah Rashad - Civilia Demo.  Love it.  Just wonderful.

Signore Benedick The Moor - sbthemoor: part of Deathbomb Arc's noise rap outreach.  This is very good if a bit of a come down after the more outre' stuff the label has been putting out recently
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:13:51 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1842 on: April 01, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
I knew people would come around on Cilvia. The exciting thing is that he's already this good without much artist development, imagine how good he'll be in a year or two; he even says it on a record ("just wait until I get this shit perfect").

Like Gibbs (or Kendrick), he has an impressive way of finding the pockets of his production. And speaking of the production...I love it. Really mellow shit, but it still bumps.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1843 on: April 01, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
I like it. It's a nice melodic southern drawl at times, and other times it's pretty commanding. And the live videos I've seen of him were impressive too - half of Cilvia's tracks really get the crowd hype.

Beezy

« Reply #1844 on: April 01, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
You guys (especially Eric P) listen to so much that I never heard of. And I wanna listen to them, but I don't wanna be bored to tears like when I try to listen to Roc Marciano. He still hasn't grown on me.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1845 on: April 01, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
You guys (especially Eric P) listen to so much that I never heard of. And I wanna listen to them, but I don't wanna be bored to tears like when I try to listen to Roc Marciano. He still hasn't grown on me.

edited to include videos
Tonya

« Reply #1846 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
yeah welcome to fazoland is p nice and prob my favorite tape released so far this year
😈

« Reply #1847 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
😈

Diunx

« Reply #1848 on: April 02, 2014, 01:31:01 AM »
Apparently Wale gave Greenman that work at last nights Raw   :ohhh

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/wale-punches-coli-member-chefboyrnach-at-wwe-raw.202268/

Is that jewllco?  :what
Drunk

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #1849 on: April 02, 2014, 10:08:12 AM »
Whale's gotta be the most insecure dude in hip-hop. It's pretty sad.

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #1850 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »
I'm digging the Dave East album "No Regrets" also.

"Think you know me"
:-[

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1851 on: April 02, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
https://planetpremrock.bandcamp.com/album/lens-maxi-single-prod-by-quelle-chris

i have been listening to the new Premrock album and dude just nails it.  #mopehop
Tonya

HiResDes

« Reply #1852 on: April 07, 2014, 12:47:52 AM »
I know Esch doesn't really fuck with reggae, but more people should be listening to the Jamaican trap-rapper Zuse and his mixtape Bullet...Banger after banger. The production alone elevates this thing to one of the year's best trap albums.

Beezy

« Reply #1853 on: April 07, 2014, 07:28:59 AM »
I know Esch doesn't really fuck with reggae, but more people should be listening to the Jamaican trap-rapper Zuse and his mixtape Bullet...Banger after banger. The production alone elevates this thing to one of the year's best trap albums.
:leon

Beezy

« Reply #1854 on: April 12, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »

Those lips :shaq

Dat hair :aah

Dem freckles :lawd

I don't understand her voice, but I love it. Her new EP is so much better than everything else that she's done.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1855 on: April 12, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
I just want to lay my head on SZA's thighs and feel the muscles pulsating. Let it just marinate in there...her thighs are horse like brehs.

Surprised Rashad isn't on her latest release (which I haven't heard btw, getting it now). They worked very well together on Cilvia.

Beezy

« Reply #1856 on: April 12, 2014, 01:15:41 AM »
If you heard it, you'd know that he is on it. Barely, but he's there.

Funny how I had no idea who she was when I heard her featured on Kris Kasanova's last project. Now she's eclipsed him.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:18:22 AM by Beezy »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1857 on: April 12, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

weird.
Tonya

« Reply #1858 on: April 13, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »

weird.

Sole, I feel where you coming from but :kobeyuck

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1859 on: April 13, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »
Basically sums up everything Sole's done since anticon. His "My President Is Black" remix is the worst example