Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 741974 times)

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #1860 on: April 17, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
Isn't he doing some trap shit? foh fat man :snoop
Drunk

Diunx

« Reply #1861 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »
 :shaq2 Hip hop today is mostly over produced garbage with shit lyrics and cartoon voices so yeah I appreciate stuff like Keep Watch with old school beats and no distinguished mentally-challenged sound effects, Rae can keep his trap producers  :holeup
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1862 on: April 17, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »
:beli

Hes pretty much 100 spot on new wu is garbage beats and direction. Out of all wu tang members rae has spent the most time keeping their name in the papers, doing fts etc. Meanwhile everyone else is rapping over garbage wu weed carrier production swagless stuck in the 90s faccots like you  bump.

Edit: ghost picks some decent stuff too, and czarface was okay. But everyone elsee pretty much, every posse cut has been t r a s h. RZA hasnt made a dope project in years.

killah priest once again criminally overlooked

wu fatigue
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1863 on: April 17, 2014, 10:44:29 PM »

these two can't be stopped, I swear

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1864 on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:49 PM »
I liked Walter Reed too but are we going to call that top flight production? :yeshrug

it's not top flight, but it's not trash either.  It's a varied album (of course at two discs, it damn well better be).

Just saw Black Milk again and the dude is a hell of a performer.  Did an hour and 10 minute main set then came out and took 3 requests for an encore putting him at an hour and twenty minutes

then i went to the merch table and watched some assholes take the last two copies of his new record.

buttholes.

(Roc Marciano was there with like 20 people on a tiny stage.  that was pretty funny.  but he brought out AG Da Coroner who I hadn't seen perform in a while so that was p coo)
Tonya

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1865 on: April 18, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
SRY

Diunx

« Reply #1866 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:37 PM »
First round of The Coli's audio battle tournament is up!

http://www.thecoli.com/forums/audio-battle-tournament.54/
Drunk

Himu

IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1868 on: April 23, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »
Is that really even a question? There's no way this dude had ever considered being a rapper until he answered the casting call. Also lol @ "You're going from Jay-Z to the Pro Bowl." Wat

Diunx

« Reply #1869 on: April 25, 2014, 01:44:00 AM »
Ran into this while looking for Air Supply songs in Warez-bb.

It's basically a Ghostface greatest hits and the DJ edited the songs so there's a seamless transition between them, pretty cool.

http://rg.to/file/826719d85f23d4090dddd93aaec358ea/1351351G351K351351.zip.html
Drunk

« Reply #1870 on: April 25, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »

Does this dude suck or am I wrong?

i feel haystak already has that unlistenable fat white country boy rap niche.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1871 on: April 25, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
Ran into this while looking for Air Supply songs in Warez-bb.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's basically a Ghostface greatest hits and the DJ edited the songs so there's a seamless transition between them, pretty cool.

http://rg.to/file/826719d85f23d4090dddd93aaec358ea/1351351G351K351351.zip.html

GOAT rapper? GOAT rapper.

Best stories, most vivid lyricism, undeniably the most consistent rapper of all time, multiple classic albums (including at least one in the 90s and 00s), etc.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1872 on: April 26, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »
thoughts?

I agree that there is no science to the #dualities at play between beats and lyrics. Personally in my mind I might like to think that I'm a 55 lyrics/45 beat guy, but once I put a track on the numbers rapidly shift from one direction to another, throughout the track.

A horrible beat can ruin great lyrics, just as horrible lyrics can ruin a great beat; how many times due we lament the idea of "wasted beats." I'm God by Lil B comes to mind. More recently, fuckwithmeyouknowigotit by Jay comes to mind; thank god Ross gave us a decent version on Mastermind.

Remember the early aughts brehs, specifically the underground shit of the time? How many of those tracks had trash beats with inaudible bass/drums, under lyrical miracle rapping. That shit wasn't hot. There were some acts that shit together, production wise (Dilated Peoples, Soul Position, Brother Ali, etc) before Little Brother showed up, but there was plenty of SMH worthy stuff (Slaughterhouse's various rappers' solo careers).

One thing the video didn't mention was flow and presence. Sometimes both can overcome bad or forgettable lyrics. Love Sosa, I Don't Like, Pretty Boy, Young Lean's Kyoto, and plenty other tracks come to mind. Some shit just...works.

Beezy

« Reply #1873 on: April 26, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »
Beats. Flow. And then lyrics for me.

The music itself has to be enjoyable before I actually pay attention to what's being said. :yeshrug

Diunx

« Reply #1874 on: April 26, 2014, 01:45:39 AM »
I used to think Lyrics >>>>> * but lately I have noticed that the songs I have on repeat either have the combo of great lyrics + great beat or mediocre lyrics with great beat :yeshrug I think flow is very important tho, Meth and Ghost can make even lame lyrics cool thanks to their awesome flow.

Meth's flow in this is :lawd

Drunk

Himu

« Reply #1875 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:13 AM »
Beats. Flow. And then lyrics for me.

The music itself has to be enjoyable before I actually pay attention to what's being said. :yeshrug

This is me these days and why I love top 40 radio now.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1876 on: April 26, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »
I don't think getting knowledge is the point of good lyrics. I really enjoy evocative, vivid lyricism; it doesn't have to be complex to work. And I tend to have differing views depending on who I listen to. I might put more emphasis on lyrics and have more expectations when listening to Mos Def for instance, than when I'm listening to YG. If I'm going to listen to a great rapper I might expect greatness, but at the same time recognize great records don't need great lyrics. But if I hear Mos rapping about Molly and Advil I would probably hold it against him.

Good example: when I listen to Drake I'm listening to flows and beats up front, but as a hip hop head I'm also determining whether this dude has "it" lyrically. That thought wouldn't cross my mind while listening to Chief Keef because he doesn't care or focus on being great. So as I listen to Drake, Kendrick, and these other new dudes I always want to see who is the best rapper, who is the best lyricist, and of course who makes the best music. In short I'm harder on serious rappers who throw their hat in the ring.

I might say Drake has a very simple flow he uses on most tracks, isn't a good lyricist, has some interesting introspective lyricism at times, isn't a storyteller, doesn't use metaphors much, writes great hooks. In short I don't think he's bad but don't consider him a standout rapper amongst his peers, and his bit making ability doesn't change that. None or that stops him from having dope songs I enjoy like Started From The Bottom, but if I were to rate his last album I'd give it a pretty low score. Great production, some good hooks, but weak content and few standout tracks.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1877 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
Drake is just a slightly less ugly Lil Wayne, and Wayne ain't shit.
Hi

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1878 on: April 27, 2014, 12:12:57 AM »
Their beats/flow are REALLY similar to me. I said Take Care could just as easily be a Lil Wayne LP to a coworker back when i was at a nosie store and they thanked me rather emphatically and were very happy to find that they're not the only one who thinks the two sound markedly similar. Hell I didn't even know Drake was part of I'm On One until I'd read that he was performing it during his tour. Thought the intro bit was just Wayne sangin' since he's tried his hand at that a bit.
Hi

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1879 on: April 28, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
i literally LITERALLY can NOT tell if this comment is a very good troll

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2014/04/28/dj-khaled-marcy-projects-jay-z/#comment-1359447280
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1880 on: April 28, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »
the DJ thing
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1881 on: April 28, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
Clue was...actually a DJ though. He played sets at the Tunnel and shit. I'm pretty sure Khaled doesn't even know what a 45 is.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1882 on: April 29, 2014, 06:06:31 AM »
well the distillation of what a DJ does to basically "hype man" who shouts shit rather than "person who mixes records"
Tonya

« Reply #1883 on: April 29, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »
The itunes servers? That's a DJ khaled joke because he was shit talking on some other video about the CEO of itunes on his dick or something :dead

or is it the DJing thing?

edit: That video of him going to Marcy Projects :dead :dead :dead

:dead at him speaking in bursts of 8 syllables or less.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1884 on: April 29, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
well the distillation of what a DJ does to basically "hype man" who shouts shit rather than "person who mixes records"
I wish I could link it but DJ Mustard did a set at sxsw where he basically played tracks from his iTunes library. Shit was sad.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1885 on: April 29, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
that's unfortunate, but i once saw a dj play a "set" which was him coming in and hitting play on his commercially available CD
Tonya

HiResDes

« Reply #1886 on: May 01, 2014, 09:23:21 AM »
I wish I could link it but DJ Mustard did a set at sxsw where he basically played tracks from his iTunes library. Shit was sad.
Don't even get me started on Mustard, breh is wack. How long can one retread the same hit record over and over before it becomes a miss?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1887 on: May 01, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
Don't even get me started on Mustard, breh is wack. How long can one retread the same hit record over and over before it becomes a miss?

Detroit's biggest urban station does mixes of big records, and one is all Mustard tracks. It's hilarious how they all (I'm Different, My Nicca, Who Do You Love, etc) blend together perfectly).

I really like My Nicca, admittedly.

« Reply #1888 on: May 03, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »

lmao

drake will be clowned until the grave.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:04:32 PM by doctavius bonbon »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1889 on: May 05, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
Ranking rappers based on their lyrical variety and CACs beat brothas at their own game. Hov's self-annihilation :dead
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1890 on: May 05, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
Wu Tang :whew

I tend to find analysis of syllables more interesting than word counts/vocabulary. Technically there are very few rappers who are better than Eminem and Nas when it comes to their broad use of syllables, specifically in relation to the variety of words used. For some nerd wankery:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2011/03/how-to-appreciate-rap-music-3-is-nas.html
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2014/04/why-eminem-is-rap-jimi-hendrix-rap.html

To me the perfect example of this is Drake's Forever. It's such a blatant display of how pedestrian Drake, Lil Wayne, and Kanye are as rappers when compared to someone on a high level (Eminem).

Eminem's recent problem is that he can't find a way to channel technical complexity into good music. I don't even remember Canibus struggling this much, to be perfectly honest. Whereas Nas has never had a problem in this regard.

Diunx

« Reply #1891 on: May 05, 2014, 07:09:05 PM »
Eminem is just too happy at this point in his life :yeshrug
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1892 on: May 05, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
and NiN fans

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1893 on: May 05, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Nah Em overthinks rapping. A perfect example:

Simple track with minimum production...basically a piano pop song. Yet he tries to find pockets in the track like it's some off kilter Madlib beat, thus resulting in this very weird stop-start rhyme scheme. It just sounds ugly. Plus he wants to scream over everything whereas previously he only did that on certain tracks. What happened to this flow?

« Reply #1894 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
Plus he wants to scream over everything whereas previously he only did that on certain tracks. What happened to this flow?

my biggest complaint right here.

that weird, aggressive half-yelling shit he's been doing for the past few years is so fucking irritating.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1895 on: May 05, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
Wu Tang :whew

I tend to find analysis of syllables more interesting than word counts/vocabulary. Technically there are very few rappers who are better than Eminem and Nas when it comes to their broad use of syllables, specifically in relation to the variety of words used. For some nerd wankery:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2011/03/how-to-appreciate-rap-music-3-is-nas.html
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2014/04/why-eminem-is-rap-jimi-hendrix-rap.html

To me the perfect example of this is Drake's Forever. It's such a blatant display of how pedestrian Drake, Lil Wayne, and Kanye are as rappers when compared to someone on a high level (Eminem).

Eminem's recent problem is that he can't find a way to channel technical complexity into good music. I don't even remember Canibus struggling this much, to be perfectly honest. Whereas Nas has never had a problem in this regard.

Eminem is closer to the Yngvie Malmstein of rappers than Jimi Hendrix, and has been complete trash since after his second (third, technically) album for the most part. He's certainly in a league of his own when it comes to the technical aspects of rapping, but he can't make a compelling record to save his fucking life. It's gotten progressively worse, too. On the eminem show and encore, he'd frequently fall short of good, but he'd have some cool ideas along the way. Now it's the same rote "I'm gonna yell angrily over some strings and guitars and awful drums and have some pop singer do the hook" shit he's has been stuck in for since getting sober.

As for Nas never having that problem, well...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1896 on: May 05, 2014, 10:30:29 PM »
I disagree 100%. Production and vision have gotten in Nas' way far more than his rapping, especially post God's Son to Untitled. He never "fell off" rap wise, like say...Prodigy.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1897 on: May 06, 2014, 02:45:50 AM »
The comparison is a bit off since Em is significantly more successful, but they're both really technically proficient at their respect crafts without being able to make listenable music. The main difference is Em used to make really great records.

I have to say his resurgence is completely baffling to me. His ability to tap into the angsty white teenager fanbase as well as he did in 1999 is remarkable, especially considering how much 1999 Eminem would hate 2014 Eminem.

Beezy

« Reply #1898 on: May 06, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #1899 on: May 06, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »
He mainly goes at 40 Glocc, breh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1900 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
New Shabazz Palaces

very dope

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1901 on: May 07, 2014, 03:03:34 AM »
Ishmael knows how to pick press flicks:

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1902 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
next week i interview daveed diggs of clipping and true neutral crew

pretty nervous.  will be listening to nothing but clipping for the next week to prepare.

i forgot how good the first album is, especially in the face of the second album
Tonya

HiResDes

« Reply #1903 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »
The new Speak is pretty fucking dope. Lakutis and he definitely surprised me this year. Oh and of course still bumping that Antwon!

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1904 on: May 08, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »
I need to get the Speak album.  I follow him on twitter but didn't realize it came out this week, lol. Definitely not as annoying w/ the self promotion as nearly every other rapper i follow.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1905 on: May 08, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
check your PMs
:hitler

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1906 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:21 PM »

v hyped for this interview tomorrow
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1907 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
I look forward to hearing it

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1908 on: May 13, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
i've been going through and doing shit like picking apart pronouns

lol

new album he doesn't say "I" once.  Always 2nd or 3rd person
Tonya

« Reply #1909 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »

v hyped for this interview tomorrow

Spent some time today listening to them. It's pretty out there, but I can def. fuck with some of their songs.

bonus pic:

:lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1910 on: May 13, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
new album is amazing.  i've been listening to Daveed Digg's stuff and it's good but it's standard rappity rapping, the clppng stuff gives him a bit of focus but that new album is just fucking razor honed. 
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1911 on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
 :lol

This dude really lives his raps. It's scary, brehs.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1912 on: May 14, 2014, 08:35:44 PM »
i still think people are just basically doing it for the attention
Tonya

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1913 on: May 14, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
Every one of the idiots that jumps on stage at AB expects to get duffed out and 100% deserves what comes to them. Anyone who jumps on stage period should be thankful they walk away without getting their teeth shoved down their throat.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #1914 on: May 15, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/flyinglotus/between-villains

Doom and Earl are polarizing I guess, but I liked this, the FlyLo verse too. Guess this is from a new Captain Murphy tape?
地平線

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1915 on: May 15, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
did you just call DOOM polarizing, and fail to capitalize his name?
:pacspit

he has been kinda iffy lately, but I kind of think it's moreso due to the production he's rapped over lately. Too fast and busy for his style. I haven't heard this track yet but I remember the last DOOM/Earl/FlyLo track being good.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #1916 on: May 15, 2014, 04:38:11 PM »
did you just call DOOM polarizing, and fail to capitalize his name?

Hey, I'm a fan, but I think 80% of the people I know that are into hiphop really hate him for some reason. hehe
地平線

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1917 on: May 15, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
I've rarely heard anyone say anything bad about pre-London-exile DOOM from people that actually listen to rap. That JJ DOOM album was terrible, though.

This is great:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:52:49 PM by seagrams hotsauce »

Beezy

« Reply #1918 on: May 16, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
Dipset back just in time for summer you dipshits. :rejoice

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1919 on: May 16, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »
http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/clipping-interview

interview is up now and it's probably the best one we've done so far
Tonya