Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 742664 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #1920 on: May 16, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »
dope will listen tonight

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1921 on: May 16, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
http://tinyletter.com/byroncrawford/letters/pray-for-jay-z-s-family

new book almost done

I drop a lot of knowledge in book #4, which is within a day or two of being completed, barring a rigorous spell-checking and a few things that need polishing. No Boutros. Still no word on when it will finally be available for your reading pleasure. I only decided to write it at the beginning of April, and I've yet to come up with much of a plan for how to promote it other than uploading it to Amazon. I've been too busy trying to finish with the text. Let me know if you have any ideas. The way this tinyletter shit works is, you can reply to this email and it'll go straight to my inbox.

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1922 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
Saw Gunplay perform last night and it was pretty much incredible.  You can tell he got his start as a hypeman because he knew how to work a crowd and get that energy up.  He worked with his DJ really well so that we could get breaks and catch his breath when he needed to.  He played a bunch of new stuff off of his upcoming album in August.  His upcoming single "Aight" had the crowd in a frenzy.  He said he's got Pimp C, Juicy J, Rozay, and 2Chains on the album.

Probably one of the best pure performers I've seen in a while.  Had the crowd moshing when we went from "Aight" to "Bible on the Dash."  Sadly no "Bogata."
Tonya

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1923 on: May 17, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »
I figured a Gunplay show would either be a complete disaster or an absolute riot given the amount of shit that man puts in his body, and I'm glad to hear it's the latter. One of my favorites, though he hasn't really done shit recently besides put out videos for year old songs. Where'd you see him? And did he give any suggestion as to when that fucking album might ever come out? Ross has done two albums and two MMG comps since it was announced, for christ sake.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1924 on: May 17, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
It was at Red Bull Music Academy show where it was a bunch of "extreme" musicians in various genres with Gunplay representing rap I guess?  Whatever it was close to my house.  He just said "August" with the single (Aight) out "soon"

his mom was there and talking to the promoters he was very nice and professional.
Tonya

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1925 on: May 17, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »
God damn, I'm jealous. I consider applying to RBMA like every year and just can't justify the cost.

Also, didn't he get jumped by like five dudes when he got KO'd?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1926 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
this Clipping interview is dope so far. Diggs sounds pretty damn engaged, and also I can tell you're super confident and prepared, Eric.

that Hammer Kids stuff tho :dead

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1927 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:43 AM »
Yeah thanks.  It's definitely easier to do interviews now, but i guess it's just like anything.  you have to do it a while, but yeah I had like 2 pages of notes.  I had more when I interviewed Prem and then more when I interviewed Curly Casto track by track on his album.  The best thing is that people have very often said I've given the best interviews they've had, but it's just a matter of trying to translate it to getting people to listen.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1929 on: May 21, 2014, 07:08:36 AM »
here's the aforementioned "aight" from Gunplay
https://soundcloud.com/rickyrozaymmg/gunplay-feat-rick-ross-aiight
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1930 on: May 21, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »

shamelessly stolen from 2dopeboyz

While with Tim Westwood, Rick talks about his recent weight loss (he cites wanting to stay healthy for his reasons, and after some past hospital scares it's easy to understand why), and claims that he does a variation of the CrossFit workout called "RossFit."
Tonya

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1931 on: May 21, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
I hope he releases a workout video, I always wanted titties.
Drunk

HiResDes

« Reply #1932 on: May 25, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
Brehs this Blue, The Misfit is slaying my playlist right now.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1933 on: May 25, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
New Kanye sounds good. Was hoping for a full track, but Kanye reference tracks are always a fun peek into the process.

HiResDes

« Reply #1934 on: May 25, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »
New Kanye sounds good. Was hoping for a full track, but Kanye reference tracks are always a fun peek into the process.
I disagree about it sounding good.

« Reply #1935 on: May 25, 2014, 09:23:22 PM »
Brehs this Blue, The Misfit is slaying my playlist right now.

popped open the soundcloud and :lawd

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1936 on: May 25, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I mean, if that's the full thing, yeah, that will blow, but I assume it's a work in progress since it's just a loop and Kanye can never resist adding some element of semi-overwrought flair to his production. I don't think the vocals are 'spoken word' so much as a reference track, since there's only snippets until the last minute or so when the mix drops to make space for the vocals.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1937 on: May 25, 2014, 11:47:47 PM »
Sounds like a reference track or unfinished interlude to me as well.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1938 on: May 26, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
 At least X had his fun doing coke for years before he became incoherent. I always figured Chuck's addled state was just due to the common mental deficiencies that plague modern day Sonic fans.

Edit:
Jesus fucking christ, it looks like I'm actually gonna watch this whole thing. Dropping jewels every three minutes. "I'm a witch" "Satan and God, what does that sound like? Sega, right." "Jimmy Iovine told me to make folk like music. Exactly like Bob Dylan" "If Kanye acknowledges the power of magic then I'll ease up on him." "Did you know Sonic the Hedgehogs name translates into 'more'? You don't find it funny that Sonic is colored, and 'sonic' means 'sound'?" And that's only the first 13 minutes!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:19:42 PM by seagrams hotsauce »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1939 on: May 26, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
I wasn't ready to take that L at the 12:24min mark
:tocry

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1940 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:31 AM »
Surprised how quick that 'god level' ref track got pulled, since it apparently took his team years to realize that hilarious qtip remix reference existed before it got extinguished. Anyone got an mp3?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1941 on: May 28, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »

Great interview. I've always liked Rifkind, he really seems like one of very few calm execs of that 90s era. Puff, Dame, Irv, etc were always bombastic and in your face; I've heard Lyor Cohen was somewhat like that too. Plus unlike most of the guys I just named, Rifkind's former artists still have good things to say about him today.

The comment on the lack of NY labels today got me thinking. Wouldn't it make sense for some type of indie label to pop up in NY and snatch up someone like Bronson (before he signed with Warner) or Flatbush Zombies and just print money with merch, limited run vinyl, etc? Basically an east coast Stone's Throw. You're never going to sell a ton of records or get radio hits, but you don't really need that stuff anymore when you consider how cheap you can do a variety of things today (digital music vs pressing CDs).

I'd love to get your opinion on this Eric P. You probably know of some east coast label that is already doing this. I know Fool's Gold is pretty much what I'm describing but they aren't a strict hip hop label; iirc Danny Brown is their only major rap guy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:30:52 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1942 on: May 29, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »

I'd love to get your opinion on this Eric P. You probably know of some east coast label that is already doing this. I know Fool's Gold is pretty much what I'm describing but they aren't a strict hip hop label; iirc Danny Brown is their only major rap guy.

i wish.  The closest thing I can think of is Dead Herring out of Germany which is releasing expensive limited edition vinyl of people like Timeless Truth, Meyhem Lauren and pre-Vice Action Bronson stuff.

I'd love some label to do this locally but there's probably no money in it

edit: chopped herring and it's french not german
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:59:27 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1943 on: June 02, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »

wow
Tonya

« Reply #1944 on: June 02, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

i can't fuck with that at all :lol

« Reply #1945 on: June 04, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »
I wish 50 wasn't rich. It's hard to mock a dude who can buy a gold plated Lear jet with the shit he wears around his house

Beezy

« Reply #1946 on: June 07, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »

:gun :gun :gun

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1947 on: June 07, 2014, 11:09:39 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1948 on: June 10, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
New Byron Crawford book out.  It's a compilation of his XXL articles.  It's been a while since I read them so I ponied up.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1949 on: June 11, 2014, 06:29:07 PM »
Bought.

btw I'm feeling the new Bones album.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1950 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »
I'm still digesting the Bones thing.  I was a big supporter of the last one (and I'm literally playing "SearchingForService" right now on the radio show) but I think this is mostly sketches instead of songs.  Very good stuff though.

Check out RAST RFC and Your Old Droog if you haven't.

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1951 on: June 11, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
I got the Your Old Droog project earlier today; heard the single awhile ago and was impressed. Some folks on various hip hop sites are claiming it could be a Captain Murphy-esque ghost project from Nas. Whoever this guy is definitely has similar tone, I just don't believe it's Nas.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1952 on: June 12, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1953 on: June 12, 2014, 05:22:40 AM »
this v NSFW video was just released yesterday for my favorite track on the clipping. album

http://vimeo.com/97166268
Tonya

« Reply #1954 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
forgot the album came out

3 tracks in and enjoying it

edit: that hook for dominoes :whew

edit2: ends :whew
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:08:08 PM by doctavius bonbon »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1955 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
New Byron Crawford book out.  It's a compilation of his XXL articles.  It's been a while since I read them so I ponied up.

Speaking of Crawford...
https://medium.com/@byroncrawford/the-realness-on-chuck-d-vs-peter-rosenberg-culture-vultures-and-hot-97-1cf408283c93
:dead

I like Rosenberg, and I've defended his argument. At the end of the day Chuck D has always had a stick up his ass with respect to radio. Ultimately the rapper/artist/voice/etc isn't to blame for society, and nor is the corporate entity that gets paid off the artist.

One thing I'll disagree with Crawford about...Hot 97 plays "real hip hop" late at night. Rosenberg plays a lot of dope shit, breaks new artists, etc. But in general are they essentially a pop and r&b station? Sure.

Beezy

« Reply #1956 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
BREHS. I actually got to hear that voice and see that hair & dem freckles in person. :rejoice :noah

http://instagram.com/p/pKvjusF0oA/

:heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1957 on: June 12, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
breh what did you say and what did she say :noah

did you tell her you can do her taxes?

Beezy

« Reply #1958 on: June 12, 2014, 11:46:59 PM »
Man, I was nervous as shit and they were rushing us because the Apple store was closing. I just said hi when she hugged me, you're awesome or some shit like that, and thank you a bunch of times after we took the pic. :lol

Btw, her hair smells great. :aah

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1959 on: June 13, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
Dunno if it's Nas but there's so much slick shit in the lyrics that I'm kinda doubting the official story that he's a 24yo Russian dude. I doubt this is a young rapper. There are so many weird 80s/90s references that I can't help but assume this is an older rapper.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1960 on: June 13, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »
Yeah. I'd vote against it being Nas, but the voice manipulation definitely makes things suspicious. Reminds me of the Captain Murphy thing.

and also it's not like Nas has never tricked people with voice manipulation before (Scarlett).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1961 on: June 13, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
I remember when I first heard Sacario lol.

The difference here is that Droog is turning his vocals down, or doing something to alter them. That makes me take pause, even though I don't believe it's Nas.

« Reply #1962 on: June 14, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
Shark Droogson

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1963 on: June 16, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »

Speaking of Crawford...
https://medium.com/@byroncrawford/the-realness-on-chuck-d-vs-peter-rosenberg-culture-vultures-and-hot-97-1cf408283c93
:dead

I like Rosenberg, and I've defended his argument. At the end of the day Chuck D has always had a stick up his ass with respect to radio. Ultimately the rapper/artist/voice/etc isn't to blame for society, and nor is the corporate entity that gets paid off the artist.

One thing I'll disagree with Crawford about...Hot 97 plays "real hip hop" late at night. Rosenberg plays a lot of dope shit, breaks new artists, etc. But in general are they essentially a pop and r&b station? Sure.
Sure is a lot of random sniping at THE JEWS in there. :hitler
Hi

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1964 on: June 16, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »
Ka on Fireside Chat. Basically Ka discussing his career from the very beginning, Natural Elements, how he met GZA, Roc Marciano, etc.
Nocturnal stories and cold facts: Brooklyn rhymer and cityscape narrator Ka talks about the fall and rise of his hip hop visions.
http://www.rbmaradio.com/shows/ka-fireside-chat

I should have 1200 BC in a day or two. It's crazy that he handles all the shipping personally.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:56:58 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1965 on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »

Ka wasn't lying when he called this an appetizer to the meal. It's 5 tracks but one is an intro is a snippet of what might be a Metal Clergy track. Still it does its job and makes me even more hyped for his next full length project, be it the solo album or Metal Clergy. I know some people are concerned about Ka not producing the EP but have no fear. Preservation isn't some scrub, he has an impressive resume. And his beats on this are dope. Grimy, minimalist (although there is some bass). My favorite Ka beats tend to be those that are more laid back or smooth, like Jungle or 30 Piece of Silver, and Preservation is well within that vein from start to finish.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1966 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »
ZelooperZ tape is so fucking frustrating.  Good beats, and good use of words and nice structures to the rhymes but jesus christ every 16 bars is about his dick and the various things he likes to do with it.  It's also 17 tracks long so it's just boring after a while.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1967 on: June 21, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
Sooo a GAFer produced this for Riff Raff a couple years ago, and it turns up on his new album (released a couple days ago) listed as a Diplo production. Apparently Diplo cleaned it up and added different drums.

no word one whether cacophony is listed in the album credits. I doubt it lol.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1968 on: June 22, 2014, 02:31:38 AM »
They updated the sc page it now lists him and diplo as producers.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1969 on: June 22, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Sooo a GAFer produced this for Riff Raff a couple years ago, and it turns up on his new album (released a couple days ago) listed as a Diplo production. Apparently Diplo cleaned it up and added different drums.

no word one whether cacophony is listed in the album credits. I doubt it lol.

diplo wouldnt be diplo if he didnt pull this shit all the time
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1970 on: June 22, 2014, 11:30:59 PM »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1971 on: June 22, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »
I'm hella late to this but Frank Ocean is my new obsession and I'm diggin on this song
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1972 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
Funkmaster Flex w/ Biggie, Craick Mack, and Diddy Hot 97 June 24, 1995
http://www.mixcloud.com/8675409/funkmaster-flex-w-biggie-craick-mack-and-diddy-hot-97-june-24-1995/

Flex debuts Flavor In Ya Ear and Juicy. Back when he used to spin records on air.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1973 on: June 24, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
Action Bronson went from sounding like Young Ghost to sounding like current Ghost, smoke cigarettes past 23 brehs. :dead
Drunk

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1974 on: June 26, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
Yeah that's life.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1975 on: July 01, 2014, 04:11:10 AM »
Never thought I'd like a Ferg verse, let alone like it better than a Gibbs verse on the same track.
https://soundcloud.com/massappeal/young-thug-freddie-gibbs-asap-ferg-old-english/s-WKhLO

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1976 on: July 01, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »

:lawd

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1977 on: July 03, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩