Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 742319 times)

HiResDes

Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #1980 on: July 05, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
ZelooperZ tape is so fucking frustrating.  Good beats, and good use of words and nice structures to the rhymes but jesus christ every 16 bars is about his dick and the various things he likes to do with it.  It's also 17 tracks long so it's just boring after a while.

He sounds too much like every other Bruiser Brigade to me, I think Dopehead might have better bars than him, and I saw him live and it was probably the worst performance I've ever seen. I don't fuck with him.

HiResDes

« Reply #1981 on: July 05, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »
In other news the new Hawk House and Shabazz Palaces look to own Quarter three for me.

« Reply #1982 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
oh my fucking god

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1983 on: July 06, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
I saw the headline/heard the general gist of it...but I'm not reading that until after work tomorrow. I have a feeling it's gonna be the best thing ever, and what better time to read it than after a shitty Monday.  :lol

I Love You

« Reply #1984 on: July 09, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
What's everyones favourite albums of the year so far?
Ninja

HiResDes

« Reply #1985 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:49:00 PM by HiResDes »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1986 on: July 13, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »

Pinata or the Step Brothers album.

Beezy

« Reply #1987 on: July 13, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
Pinata for me. I still listen to it at least once a week.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1988 on: July 13, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »
NEON iCON

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1989 on: July 13, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
My most played though is probably Heavy Hearted in Doldrums

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1990 on: July 14, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »

Way too many:
PremRock's A Clean Well-Lighted Place
clipping.'s clppng
Open Mike Eagle's Dark Comedy
Kate Tempest's Everybody Down

Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #1992 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
Saw SZA again last night. This time she brought out Willow Smith to do a song:

http://instagram.com/p/qgzWrhl0vf/

Beezy

« Reply #1993 on: July 16, 2014, 09:41:37 AM »
Lmao, I'm gonna see her again late next month at Afropunk, but I'm mainly going so I can finally hear Lianne La Havas live.

« Reply #1994 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »

i can't remember the last time i've heard such raw anger in a track :leon

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1996 on: July 17, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Definitely recommend Fazoland as well.

Sausage

« Reply #1997 on: July 19, 2014, 03:00:13 AM »

Why you have to become crazy Lupe? :(

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #1998 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
hey I've got a two hour ride to do energy training tomorrow and really want to bump the new Schoolboy Q album but all the typical file sharing websites are filtered on center. I would be exremely grateful if someone threw a rar/zip of it up on a dropbox or gdrive for me. I've done the same for my friends and I'd make it up to whoever hooked me up. Please and thank you!
SRY

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1999 on: July 19, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
hey I've got a two hour ride to do energy training tomorrow and really want to bump the new Schoolboy Q album but all the typical file sharing websites are filtered on center. I would be exremely grateful if someone threw a rar/zip of it up on a dropbox or gdrive for me. I've done the same for my friends and I'd make it up to whoever hooked me up. Please and thank you!

pm me your email

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2000 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:14 PM »

mods help
Tonya

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2001 on: July 22, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »
Jesus Christ. I was just listening to Amerikkka's Most Wanted the other day, and this exists now? I'm gonna go jump in a fucking volcano.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2002 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2003 on: July 26, 2014, 12:56:55 AM »

:lawd

Release Date - 22nd September 2014

Tracklisting:

1. Intro
2. Om
3. Mean The Most
4. So Alone
5. Coming For You
6. Darkness (HBU)
7. Caskets
8. Great Things
9. Disastrous

song is fire, including the (new!) DOOM beat. alas, kinda bummed the album will only have 9 songs.

Beezy

« Reply #2004 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »

:heart :aah :noah :aah :heart

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2005 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25:31 PM »
your old droog will be performing live for the first time this sept in nyc.  should be interesting if nothing else.
Tonya

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2006 on: August 13, 2014, 04:43:21 AM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2007 on: September 03, 2014, 02:06:22 AM »
saw earlier. Great ass freestyle. so natural, dont care that he had the bars memorized earlier. its all about how you say, not what.

larrydavid

« Reply #2008 on: September 03, 2014, 03:01:28 AM »
nothing more boner killing than a mannered writerly verse when you just wanna hear a freestyle

its true tho if you hot enough it doesn't matter, b.i.g. garden freestyle :lawd

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2009 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
WHY IS THIS SO GOOD?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2010 on: September 04, 2014, 07:41:17 AM »
Havent heard any of this stuff till a couple of days ago :lawd

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2011 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
All this dust is fucking with my allergies.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2012 on: September 17, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »

Tuesday.

Beezy

« Reply #2013 on: September 17, 2014, 07:37:34 PM »
Smh at TDE tweeting that Jay Rock info is coming instead of just dropping new music from him.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2014 on: September 17, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
Jay Rock doesn't sound motivated tbh. I really thought he's crush the building in 2013, off the momentum of the Money Trees verse but he didn't do anything. Dunno what lane he wants either. I read he was tired of the gangsta stuff and was trying to do something different. I wish he'd do some introspective shit.

Beezy

« Reply #2015 on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2016 on: September 17, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
relate everything to jay-z brehs :beli

Truth be told, the Roc never had anyone as mainstream popular as Q, who has a top 40 hit right now. Yes Sigel sold more records...but that strikes me as irrelevant considering we're talking about an era where everyone was going gold at least. The problem with most rapper built labels is that the artists aren't marketable, it's just dudes the main rapper fucks with regardless. Nobody on the Roc blew except Jay because no one could; Jay surrounded himself with guys who played the background - that's how nearly every rapper who forms a label/crew does it. TDE is different because Kendrick wasn't initially the main guy - it was Jay Rock. They signed a joint venture with Warner Bros. off the strength of Jay Rock's buzz and eventually got a Dre cosign. IIRC Kendrick was the first person on TDE but at the time he was just some kid being developed. I remember when the Kendrick EP came out in 2009 and I thought it was aite but nothing special. Definitely wasn't on Cole's level back then (lol).

In short TDE is basically an underground label that hit it big but wasn't ready. Or is it? As I said, Q's album sold well and he has a hit song (technically two hits). Kendrick is going to go gold regardless of whether his album is good or not. Flab Soul...honestly, did anyone expect him to ever be big? Dude is in a creative box and will do his thing on the "underground" forever. Jay Rock...I think his time has past for mainstream success but dude can still release a dope project. I believe in him.

TDE isn't Cash Money, it has one leg in the mainstream and one in the underground; only Q and Kendrick are on Interscope. Show me another recent crew that has one dude on top and another who is now a legit relevant artist.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2017 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
 :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2018 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
Jaz-O was not on Roc-A-Fella, dun. The label was created to release Jay's first album breh, and the roster was put together by Jay later on.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2019 on: September 17, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
Seems like a big difference between Jay picking his roster and the label president of TDE signing Flab to join Kendrick and Jay Rock. As I said, rappers always pick background dudes to fuck with them, and said background dudes almost never have any mainstream appeal. Q has a successful album out right now, two big singles, and a big feature. I'd say that's pretty damn successful for a rapper of Q's...caliber lol.

TDE has dudes that are actually sustainable on their own. Say what you will about Flab Soul, and I definitely agree his album was trash...but it sold well for an independent album and he's touring the world. Q is touring the world off his own success. Outside of MMG I can't think of many current labels with multiple non-major guys who can cake off tours without relying on the big homie. That's what separates TDE from...CTE. Or Grand Hustle.

Bleek was always with Jay. Same with the Philly dudes on the Roc, they struggled to branch out. Kanye was the first dude that really managed to start doing shit independent of the big homie.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2020 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
I always viewed Dipset as separate. Like, Dipset were some brothers who got adopted by a good father (Hov) but couldn't leave their fatherless ways behind so they rebelled, took multiple Ls in life, and now are dependent on the government.

look at hell rell yall. you can't tell me his eyes don't mirror those of a child waiting for Hov (or Cam) to take him to Chuck E Cheeses

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2021 on: September 17, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
read an article on vice about some clownshoe hipster who played chess with GZA yesterday so I had liquid swords on repeat today while working.

:aah

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2022 on: September 17, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
All of a sudden, I spied an easy checkmate. If I moved my queen to the seventh rank, I could checkmate GZA in two moves. Time slowed down. I became conscious of how fast my heart was beating. I looked at GZA. He was studying the board. Could it be? I moved my queen.

Boom. He took the queen off the board and replaced it with one of his knights. I hadn’t seen the knight protecting that space. I had blundered, bad. The spectators gasped. A rookie mistake. I threw up my hands. GZA sat back. “Whole different game now, isn’t it?” he said, and chuckled.

let Ka produce your next album, GZA
:tocry

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2023 on: September 17, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
All of a sudden, I spied an easy checkmate. If I moved my queen to the seventh rank, I could checkmate GZA in two moves. Time slowed down. I became conscious of how fast my heart was beating. I looked at GZA. He was studying the board. Could it be? I moved my queen.

Boom. He took the queen off the board and replaced it with one of his knights. I hadn’t seen the knight protecting that space. I had blundered, bad. The spectators gasped. A rookie mistake. I threw up my hands. GZA sat back. “Whole different game now, isn’t it?” he said, and chuckled.

(Image removed from quote.)

let Ka produce your next album, GZA

Not before he drops Metal Clergy with Roc Marciano  :ufup

too bad GZA sounds like he's on ambien all the time now.

That nicca tired man. Pro Tools was good but he sounded like he needed the longest nap

sarslip

« Reply #2024 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
Metal Clergy is the new Detox.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2025 on: September 18, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Metal Clergy is the new Detox.

I believe they'll release it sooner than later.......hopefully

At the very least, Ka's got a new one coming soon. That 1200 BC EP from earlier this year is fire

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2026 on: September 18, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
That EP pissed me off. Shit had like 10 minutes of music on it :what

And the joint with Roc JUST HAD to be a snippet.

Still worth that $5 though

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2027 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
I'm more than willing to give a guy as humble and talented as Ka $5. The man personally mails out CDs, vinyl, etc.
:whew

Someone on GAF said the Metal Clergy album is pretty much done, but Roc Marci is putting final touches on it and has control of when it drops. I doubt it'll be this year since both Roc and Ka are dropping individual LPs in the coming months.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2028 on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:38 PM »
I'm more than willing to give a guy as humble and talented as Ka $5. The man personally mails out CDs, vinyl, etc.

Someone on GAF said the Metal Clergy album is pretty much done, but Roc Marci is putting final touches on it and has control of when it drops. I doubt it'll be this year since both Roc and Ka are dropping individual LPs in the coming months.

:rejoice

I wouldn't mind hearing a UN reunion album either.

sarslip

« Reply #2029 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »
Yeah that was me pd, Ka told me basically Roc marci bouncing to La kinda halted the process when it was almost done.  He sounded excited about it, but not holding my breath.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2030 on: September 18, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
new UN would definitely be welcome

that loop

we gonna talk about how almost nobody is fucking Roc Marci over the last 4 years?

Cheddahz

« Reply #2031 on: September 18, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »

that loop

we gonna talk about how almost nobody is fucking Roc Marci over the last 4 years?
I actually dig this

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2032 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

that loop

"Grab the gun and unload
Put one in your son's humble abode and let one go
BLAM, I'm one of the best, yall distinguished black fellows as soft as breasts
The most grotesque, Terrace Ave pro-jects
Load tecs, let them shits off just like Boba Fett
You get's no respect, I'll blow ya set
Then spin your top like a rolling neck
Then jet in the NSX"

Marcberg and Reloaded are 2 of my favorite albums period...to this day I can still play both like it's my first time listening.

Marci Beaucoup was good but could've been much better. After sitting on it, I actually prefer the free mixtape that dropped before it. I guess he was trying something new with all the guests (beaucoup and all that) but a lot of them just kinda got in the way. He could've went harder on some of those beats too.

I actually dig this

Man that album is excellent from top to bottom. After 10 years, I can actually call it a classic (even though I didn't actually hear it until about 08-09  :goty2)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2033 on: September 18, 2014, 10:47:36 PM »
"Grab the gun and unload
Then jet in the NSX"

Marcberg and Reloaded are 2 of my favorite albums period...to this day I can still play both like it's my first time listening.

Marci Beaucoup was good but could've been much better. After sitting on it, I actually prefer the free mixtape that dropped before it. I guess he was trying something new with all the guests (beaucoup and all that) but a lot of them just kinda got in the way. He could've went harder on some of those beats too.

no lies detected.

Despite not having nearly as hard drums, Reloaded is still beyond dope and compares well to Marcberg.

Marci Beaucoup...it starts perfect. Love Me, Squeeze, 456... :whew   Ka on Squeeze, yall

This nicca read poetry, bear witness like notary
Rarely say my name but niccas know it's me

Roc swoops in

Im rare like a millionaires tear drops

My mask's made of African clay
Snag your lass off a glass of Alizé

:heh

But overall the guest verses dilute the project. I can forgive it though, I understand why he wanted to do something different. Next album will be crazy, I'm sure. He has at least two crazy albums in pocket. One with Alchemist, one with the ArchDruids.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2034 on: September 18, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »
"Grab the gun and unload
Then jet in the NSX"

no lies detected.

Despite not having nearly as hard drums, Reloaded is still beyond dope and compares well to Marcberg.

Marci Beaucoup...it starts perfect. Love Me, Squeeze, 456... :whew   Ka on Squeeze, yall

This nicca read poetry, bear witness like notary
Rarely say my name but distinguished black fellows know it's me

Roc swoops in

Im rare like a millionaires tear drops

My mask's made of African clay
Snag your lass off a glass of Alizé

:heh

But overall the guest verses dilute the project. I can forgive it though, I understand why he wanted to do something different. Next album will be crazy, I'm sure. He has at least two crazy albums in pocket. One with Alchemist, one with the ArchDruids.

Ka is sincerely one of the coldest dudes rapping right now.

"This wizardry, delivered me the flyest flute
What I summon have 'em dumbin' like a cauldron of some eye of newt
Was a young esquire in bum attire, jum supplier
Hunger made me gun for hire
Funny how they used to run from me, now they come admire
A man now, stand down, sick of bleeding I'm into reading
Enough point work, joints hurt, and my shit's receding"

:whoo

the whole second verse is quotable but this shit right here

"This attack won't bring my man back, the pastor right
But since he popped, now my man got the drop in the afterlife"

Jesus Christ

A Marci album produced by Alchemist would have me set for the entire year. Him and Gibbs need to cut the bullshit and drop whatever they've got cooking though. Last I heard somebody was holding something up

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2035 on: September 19, 2014, 12:11:36 AM »
Night's Gambit is ancient scripture. Like communing with some old scholar. Very earthly quality to it. It's up there with The Offering in terms of a rap album where you never want to speak over it. Just shut the fuck up, soak it up and nod your head.

Even kept loaded toast around closest friends
Why sulk, doing' sly manoeuvers;
Kept eyes open, hoping' the crew don't got a Judas;
My word observe me, so at least you're familiar;
In the ebb and flow, you never know who dirty, reaching' to kill ya;
After feast go alert the Beast to reveal ya;
While you sleep;
Turn you in for 30 pieces of silver

:whoo

I stand firm on the corner that I run and hostility possibility that morning may never come

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2036 on: September 19, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »
relate everything to jay-z brehs :beli

Truth be told, the Roc never had anyone as mainstream popular as Q,
I know I'm late on this, but this is ridiculous. Kanye and Cam would like a word with you. Even the lowly Young Gunz charted similarly to Q. Rocafella and G-Unit were two crews that could sign basically anybody and get them a ringtone-pushing single when rap was at it's most commercially viable. Rap and the music industry in general have waned so significantly in recent years that this is a broken comparison, but Kendrick isn't at that level where he can throw a verse on any weed carriers single and have it smash the way Jay could from like 99-2006.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2037 on: September 19, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
guess I should have prefaced my comment with "the original Roc roster," ie those Jay signed. We don't recognize Dame Dash in this thread.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2038 on: September 19, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
New image for gaf-hop

Phoenix Dark