Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 730322 times)

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #2040 on: September 19, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »
The era of Just Blaze helmed albums though  :lawd

I Once Loved Donuts

« Reply #2041 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
The fuck is Blaze doing with that techno shit nowadays tho :trash

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2042 on: September 19, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
The fuck is Blaze doing with that techno shit nowadays tho :trash

Trying to keep the lights on I imagine.

Cheddahz

« Reply #2043 on: September 19, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

I Once Loved Donuts

« Reply #2044 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
Trying to keep the lights on I imagine.
Yeah, but he went to deep. To deep.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2045 on: September 19, 2014, 08:45:08 PM »
He started investing his money when his career started, and he's had more than a few hits. I'm sure he's fine. Wish he would do more bombastic string and horn section beats and less lazy 'trap'

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2046 on: September 19, 2014, 08:55:04 PM »
Just Blaze is set for life, he's just having fun doing shit he wants to do. Dunno if you guys listen to the Combat Jack show but the little things he says make it pretty clear he's rich as fuck.

He only seems to do hip hop when he's inspired by the artist or material. And I might be reading too much into it, but I get the impression he's not fucking with Jay's current shit. They can't get into the studio, Just has mentioned various disagreements they have about music, etc. He's said they only want to release shit if it's "special" and lives up to their previous work. Who knows when that will happen.

The most baffling thing about Just is his recent Em stanning though...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2047 on: September 19, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
Just Blaze isn't really doing anything outdated. Apparently they did seven tracks together last year, but Jay scrapped them when he decided to go the MCHG route - and that's where the disagreements began apparently. The last Just Blaze record I can remember hearing was Compton off GKMC. Doesn't sound outdated or anything (outside of the g-funk portamento synths at the end, which is just a nod to that sub-genre).

It wouldn't sound out of place on MCHG. Which I'm sure Bore-Hop can agree was a trash album.  :jawalrus

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2048 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
Depends on the type of track. Obviously a trap-esque track would have busier drums than a traditional Just Blaze record. But then again, MCHG has multiple tracks that don't have "up to date" drum patterns (Heaven, Picasso Baby, BBC, On The Run, Somewhereinamerica, etc); notice all those tracks aren't trap or trap-esque.

I'd say Just is just fine, percussion wise.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2049 on: September 19, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
Honestly I bet Just Blaze has no troubles keeping the lights on. He had some hits, lived a humble life, probably invested well and set up a roth IRA when he was like 28 while Beanie Sigel was blasting his record advances into big piles of heroin.

I was a bit harsh yea. From what I've heard/understand he does kinda have a day job running some studio NYC. Like a nice legit studio not some bummy crap. He pops up a lot in Red Bull Music stuff too so he's doing okay.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2050 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
Using a collaborative track with a flavor of the month electronic producer where we don't have a straight record of who did what  doesn't help your case. Those drums are more like Baauer's work.

BBC has  Pharrell percussion which is still considered hot. I'd agree that a lot of the production on those other tracks you mentioned have more of a casual jammy feel than anything modern though.

True it's a collab, but do you really think Just Blaze is incapable of throwing claps on a beat? There's nothing special about trap style percussion, in fact it's usually pretty damn weak.

What does "Pharrell percussion" mean in this context though? That's a 4/4 pattern with some cowbell on top, it's nothing "cutting edge." And it's really not typical Pharrell tbh, the drums are harder than usual. The track thumps to me. You know I love shitting on Pharrell drums but these are pretty nice.

I'm not a proponent of the idea that most drums go out of fashion, especially in hip hop. 0 To 100 made a huge splash this year despite having drums that aren't anything new; and last year Pound Cake was also a pretty huge record. Not everything has to have busy percussion, claps, high hats everywhere, etc. Yall know I'm dusty in that regard: most of these producers today don't have hard drums at all since the focus is 99% on the 808s. I'm so tired of that shit yall
:pacspit

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2051 on: September 19, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »
nah jay has the best verse on BBC! I like it, it has a nice bounce to it

:dust

breh I ran across this and got hype at the Chocolate Factory sample

too bad the song is pretty bleh. Harder drums than most stuff though. I heard the entire album has hard drums.

when is Oh No gonna release this in full
http://ohnothedisrupt.bandcamp.com/
:tocry

Cheddahz

« Reply #2052 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
breh I ran across this and got hype at the Chocolate Factory sample

too bad the song is pretty bleh. Harder drums than most stuff though. I heard the entire album has hard drums.
Personally, the album is one of the best albums of the year and this song just makes me hyped everytime I listen to it :whew

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:00:10 PM by Cheddahz »

I Once Loved Donuts

« Reply #2053 on: September 20, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »

I want more of this.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2054 on: September 20, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
Isn't he still messing with that billionaire Rothschild?

He aint got time for us peasents

Cheddahz

I Once Loved Donuts

« Reply #2056 on: September 20, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
That is one weird ass track.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2057 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »
http://instagram.com/p/tGcOPtsJH_/?modal=true
I hope it drops in the morning so I can listen before work. If not I'll have to wait until lunch break. :tocry

gotta make sure I get my two cents in as early as possible to effect impressions of other people :tocry

life of a TDE soldier :tocry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2058 on: September 23, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »

gotta make sure I get my two cents in as early as possible to effect impressions of other people :tocry

:lol

pathetic

I lay awake at night wondering how things might have been different if I was more through on music forums in 99. Could have helped Nas but I was too busy playing StarCraft

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2059 on: September 23, 2014, 12:33:25 AM »
Why does that girl have 3 legs?

oh my damn

IrishNinja

« Reply #2060 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:18 AM »
new Kendrick tomorrow brehs :tocry

C O M P T O N MY CITY MOBBIN IN THE STREETS
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:56:49 AM by IrishNinja »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2061 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:48 AM »
I've been trolling kenneth on gaf a minute, mostly because hey, it makes all the posters i like to troll mad.

Like you wouldn't believe. I all but told people I was starting shit just because and they caught feelings anyway

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2062 on: September 23, 2014, 01:27:17 AM »
I've been trolling kenneth on gaf a minute, mostly because hey, it makes all the posters i like to troll mad.

Like you wouldn't believe. I all but told people I was starting shit just because and they caught feelings anyway

You one of us man?

:hitler

Sup Storm Chamber.

Look, I've never met the man personally...but I do hear he's one handsome motherfucker  :jawalrus

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2063 on: September 23, 2014, 01:45:46 AM »
This is gonna bet this gen "It Was Written" :aah
Drunk

IrishNinja

« Reply #2064 on: September 23, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »

damn, people already callin it a classic? the hype is real

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2065 on: September 23, 2014, 02:10:51 AM »
Kendrick's about to become a fake italian mobster bruh

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2066 on: September 23, 2014, 02:10:53 AM »

Don't disrespect It Was Written like this.

« Reply #2067 on: September 23, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »
Best possible scenario is this song is irredeemably awful, but the record is incredible. Maximum chaos.

Cheddahz

« Reply #2068 on: September 23, 2014, 07:27:33 AM »
The new Kendrick song came out and........... :holeup :heh :kobeyuck :what

https://soundcloud.com/topdawgent/i-1/s-GT9Cd

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2069 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:01 AM »

« Reply #2070 on: September 23, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »
The title fits. Vibe of the track is more than a little indulgent. Feels like Kendrick waking up in the morning, stretching with a deep breath, and realizing there ain't shit he needs to do but enjoy his life. Got his flow breezing gently over a playful, loose, unconcerned bop. Some shit you would play if you could treat Wednesday the same way you treat Sunday. Meanders a bit and wanders around without any real center because Kendrick doesn't care, he's just chilling. I can get with that vibe. If you told me James Murphy sat down with Kendrick at some point and this track came out of it I wouldn't be too surprised. It has that laid back irreverent confidence to it. Lingers a bit in ways that Murphy does, too, like the outro staying just a bit longer than you would expect (within the confines of a radio single obv.) I'm generally not a big fan of guitar in beats, but it worked here so I can't complain.

All that said it's unremarkable and the lack of urgency makes it feel kinda mailed in. Would be about the seventh best track off Yung Leans record  :yeshrug

sarslip

« Reply #2071 on: September 23, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »
The new Kendrick song came out and........... :holeup :heh :kobeyuck :what

https://soundcloud.com/topdawgent/i-1/s-GT9Cd

god i can just hear it during the team select screen on NBA 2k15 now

lol, Krit can't clear a sample to save his life, meanwhile Dre just tosses money at Ron Isley like it aint shit.

Beezy

« Reply #2072 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:28 AM »
Was not expecting this at all. I want aggressive Kendrick, but not the one who over screams over beats on all his feature verses.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2073 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
what a lovely track, can't wait to play it at potlucks and at the lake with my bros. just gives me good and positive vibes unlike all the gangster raps out there.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2074 on: September 23, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
Peak Kendrick backlash :rejoice. Holy shit this breakdown lolololol

Cheddahz

« Reply #2075 on: September 23, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
I can't wait till my mom texts me to tell me that she is jamming out to this song in the car

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2076 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:01 AM »
It's not outright terrible but I'd be lying if I said I'd play this song every time I listen to the album.

DominoKid said it best, this is music you drive your parents to.

Cheddahz

« Reply #2077 on: September 23, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »
The OT for this song is the best thing ever

"I really like it.

I love it when rap/hiphop use real instruments in their beats."

"This track fire and I'm not a fan of KL. If his next project mostly sounds like this then I'm excited.
the mainstream gonna eat this up."

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2078 on: September 23, 2014, 11:45:55 AM »
It's ok.

TDE are fools for not releasing this at the beginning of summer; this sounds like it would have been on rotation all summer. I guess it doesn't matter, it'll be on rotation regardless (Interscope, Clear Channel, etc) but still...

My impressions...not bad, not great. It's a pop rap single, moreso than Poetic Justice. In the mold of recent tracks with a retro, throwback sound (Blurred Lines, Happy, Rolling In The Deep, etc). It's not a coincidence that all those tracks were massive hits, and I'd imagine this will be too.

I actually prefer the beat breakdown during the bridge and third verse, which is a more interesting take on the sample and helps the track avoid a Diddy-esque laziness. I'm probably being hypocritical but that's just how I feel about popular samples: looping them in an obvious manner feels like cheating and is lazy. That breakdown is VINTAGE Aquemini though, love it.

Complaining about the theme strikes me as corny. I'm not opposed to positive anthems, I'm opposed to corny positive anthems (like Happy). Honestly this isn't corny to me. It sounds like a continuation of GKMC thematically. The song fits the theme of the last voicemail on Real.

"If I don't hear from you by tomorrow, I hope you come back and learn from your mistakes. Come back a man, tell your story to these black and brown kids in Compton. Let 'em know you was just like them, but you still rose from that dark place of violence, becoming a positive person. But when you do make it, give back with your words of encouragement, and that's the best way to give back. To your city... And I love you Kendrick, if I don't hear you knocking on the door you know where I usually leave the key. Alright? Talk to you later, bye."

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2079 on: September 23, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #2080 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:35 PM »
It's ok.

TDE are fools for not releasing this at the beginning of summer; this sounds like it would have been on rotation all summer. I guess it doesn't matter, it'll be on rotation regardless (Interscope, Clear Channel, etc) but still...

My impressions...not bad, not great. It's a pop rap single, moreso than Poetic Justice. In the mold of recent tracks with a retro, throwback sound (Blurred Lines, Happy, Rolling In The Deep, etc). It's not a coincidence that all those tracks were massive hits, and I'd imagine this will be too.

I actually prefer the beat breakdown during the bridge and third verse, which is a more interesting take on the sample and helps the track avoid a Diddy-esque laziness. I'm probably being hypocritical but that's just how I feel about popular samples: looping them in an obvious manner feels like cheating and is lazy. That breakdown is VINTAGE Aquemini though, love it.

Complaining about the theme strikes me as corny. I'm not opposed to positive anthems, I'm opposed to corny positive anthems (like Happy). Honestly this isn't corny to me. It sounds like a continuation of GKMC thematically. The song fits the theme of the last voicemail on Real.

"If I don't hear from you by tomorrow, I hope you come back and learn from your mistakes. Come back a man, tell your story to these black and brown kids in Compton. Let 'em know you was just like them, but you still rose from that dark place of violence, becoming a positive person. But when you do make it, give back with your words of encouragement, and that's the best way to give back. To your city... And I love you Kendrick, if I don't hear you knocking on the door you know where I usually leave the key. Alright? Talk to you later, bye."
copypasta stannery is the lowest form of stannery
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2081 on: September 23, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »

Oh I thought you said hip hop.....my bad....

YMMV

Diunx

« Reply #2082 on: September 23, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »
 :goty2
Drunk

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2083 on: September 23, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »

Don't even clown on Biz you shortdicked stan.

YMMV

Diunx

« Reply #2084 on: September 23, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »

That was about the new Kdot single  :comeon

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Like anyone knows who the fuck Biz is  :sabu
[close]
Drunk

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2085 on: September 23, 2014, 01:08:51 PM »

I was expecting you to stan for this new track breh. Guess it's too close to Macklemore and too far away from Eminem (:holeup)

(Image removed from quote.)

Shit taste in rap music makes him a salty cracker.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2086 on: September 23, 2014, 01:09:44 PM »

That was about the new Kdot single  :comeon

Like anyone knows who the fuck Biz is  :sabu
[close]

Who the fuck is Kdot...you little stans need to respect the people who created the shit your ruined. :hitler
YMMV

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #2087 on: September 23, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »

Oh I thought you said hip hop.....my bad....

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2088 on: September 23, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
LOL

:dead
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2089 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
My son likes this guy, I don't throw his phone out when he plays it in the car

YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2090 on: September 23, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
Smh @ a Nause stan like Diunx trying to clown Biz Markie. This is why no one takes you fake 'real hip hop' guys seriously.

He probably tries to clown on Big L too..... :umad
YMMV

IrishNinja

« Reply #2091 on: September 23, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »
They only know what the single is, and singled that out
to be the meaning of what he is about

also Biz is the shit, Diunx just catchin vapors 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2092 on: September 23, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
Smh @ a Nause stan like Diunx trying to clown Biz Markie. This is why no one takes you fake 'real hip hop' guys seriously.

I bet you haven't listened to a single Biz Markie album.
:umad

Diunx :pacspit
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2093 on: September 23, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »
still don't believe you fam.

my jimmies are still rustled by your Young MC diss.
[close]

nudemacusers

« Reply #2094 on: September 23, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
isn't biz markie the fat guy who performs songs in underwear and acts like a mental patient or am I thinking of that dude from d12 or that homeless guy
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

« Reply #2095 on: September 23, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Kendrick song gets worse the more I hear it. The throwback funk jam band style of the beat is just so...weak. Uninspired and boring. We got acts like The Internet and Anderson Paak whose entire lane is this sound and they just crush him.

And the more irreverent Kendrick who is just content to coast is nowhere near Open Mike Eagle or guys in that like, modern-adult-life lane. So why dip so far away from what you're good at? For something this weak? Where other dudes have focused their entire careers? I get experimenting, but this doesn't feel like it. It feels like lazily thinking "it would be cool if I did X" without thinking about how much work goes into making X dope. I guess that would be arrogance? Were dudes in his camp really saying this was worthwhile?

I low key would have preferred that Million Dollar Arm track. It was at least interestingly awful.

« Reply #2096 on: September 23, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kendrick-lamar-promises-aggression-and-emotion-on-good-kid-follow-up-20140923

"Sometimes I go into the studio and study music. Just sit in there and vibe out to music that's not really of the — Marvin Gaye or something like that… I haven't been listening to a lot of the music that's out right now. You can get influenced by it."

:pacspit :pacspit :pacspit :pacspit :pacspit

what a garbage mentality to have. maybe that's why your single sounds like the Kidz Bop rendition of a wack Chance B-Side

nudemacusers

« Reply #2097 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
that mid track breakdown is pure scust
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Cheddahz

« Reply #2098 on: September 23, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »
"YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK" screamed Kendrick as he spent all of the money he made from "i" on food for him and SchoolBoy Q

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2099 on: September 23, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
Is there a neologism that perfectly encompasses rappers making a positive song to appeal to white radio listeners ???
vin