Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 730340 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #2160 on: September 27, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2161 on: September 27, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Never Catch Me
:rejoice

« Reply #2162 on: September 27, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #2163 on: September 27, 2014, 07:48:55 PM »
Never listened to this dude's music before, but the production so far! :noah

Definitely gotta see him when he comes to NYC next month.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2164 on: September 27, 2014, 08:00:28 PM »
Turkey Dog Coma

Coronus, The Terminator

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2165 on: September 27, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
second half is less masturbatory (so far) than the first in terms of musicians going HAM. Definitely calms down and reaches some high places.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2166 on: September 27, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »
Gonna smoke some weed and write an all kawaii anime gifs review of the album sometime this week.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2167 on: September 27, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
second half is less masturbatory (so far) than the first in terms of musicians going HAM. Definitely calms down and reaches some high places.

Exactly how I felt.

Those first 6 tracks had me shook

Never listened to this dude's music before, but the production so far! :noah

Definitely gotta see him when he comes to NYC next month.

oh bruh

Los Angeles and Cosmogramma are great.

His debut 1983 is good but it was pretty much baby steps.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2168 on: September 27, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2169 on: September 28, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »
I had zero hype even off the singles, and accordingly - Pickles, if this flylo album blows I'm gonna hunt you down and verbally assault you.

« Reply #2170 on: September 28, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
Sorry brehs. You know I write overly long shit that could be reduced down to a few sentences. We all have our deals and that's mine. So here are my thoughts on You're Dead!

-----

Section One: Bang!

Theme | Tesla | Cold Dead | Fkn Dead

-----

Chaotic, unstructured, and off the wall. Elusive sonic elements flitting in and out of existence from all angles. From a purely thematic standpoint I think this is the strongest segment of the album, and of any album in Flylo's discography. He did an amazing job crafting an unorganized chaos representing the snap reaction to death. Kind of similar to the first few seconds after you wake up drunk on an unfamiliar couch. There's an anxiousness at the jump that grows less and less prominent over the course of these songs and I think it's meant to be the mind slowly grasping its surroundings (it's not the entirely blissful wave that hits later, but quick peeks and glances forming within the disorder itself). I love that. I know PD, Esch, and others feel that in execution this part is masturbatory and overly jam-bandish but within context of the project I think those concerns can be dismissed a bit. It's a vision of death that, in my opinion, is extremely evocative.

From a technical standpoint and just in terms of the music itself: dope. It's impossible to wrap your hands around and get a firm grasp, like sand falling through your fingers. But individual elements trace lines on your palm and leave lingering impressions long after they're gone. The drumming and bass are frenetic and anxious (and drives a lot of emotional experience above). The smoother brass cues are a great peek at where the album is headed and works as a kind of a guard rail to hold onto while the rest is in turmoil around you. Dig it a lot but being honest the narrative of the record buoys it a bit. Solely on its musical merit I wouldn't necessarily be in love.

-----

Section Two: Charon of Hades

Never Catch Me | Dead Man's Tetris | Turkey Dog Coma

-----

General structures start to form within songs, although they're still scattershot in many ways. Fewer motifs popping in and out, less instrumentation diddly-do. Never Catch Me feels like a bridge from one end of the experience (What is happening to me?) to the next (Wait, I died?). Kendrick and Snoop are guides that clue us in on what's happening. I love the sinister undertone to Dead Man's Tetris. It's a perfect little look at how scary this would be, specifically how scary it would be to realize that you're dead after Kendrick has walked you through it. Captain Murphy playing an abstract, mocking, demonic role as though he's enjoying your death. Super dope. Turkey Dog Coma is kind of a release (and new transitional point) that comes after the realization. So we've gone: What the fuck is happening --> Oh shit I'm dead --> OH FUCK I'M DEAD NO NOT THIS --> Whooooooooooooooa. If anything I think Turkey Dog Coma is the start of the metaphysical journey our soul would take while everything before it is the process of dying itself.

-----

Section Three: A Higher Plane

Stirring | Coronus, The Terminator | Siren Song | Turtles

-----

Gorgeous. Blissful. Euphoric but without the fedora. This is one of my all-time favorite runs off any album. Settling into a peaceful exploration of the cosmic expanse with these mellowed out strings, cascading drums, vocal harmonies...all of it swirling into majestic clouds of pleasure. I can feel my soul trying to transcend its body just listening to this. Low key there are still some dashes of chaos pitter-pattering around in here. Love that a lot. Love how it feels unrestrained and overwhelmingly harmonious. I'd write more but honestly it would just be me gushing about how unbelievably dope this section is. Coronus is prob. my favorite track of the year.

-----

Section Four: Time Is A Flat Circle

Ready Err Not | Eyes Above | Moment Of Hesitation | Descent Into Madness | The Boys Who Die In Their Sleep | Obligatory Cadence

-----

I draw a clear separation from Turtles to Ready Err Not where a lot of dudes might not. I think there's a pretty big leap from the enchantment of the previous section of the record to the more...contemplative, maybe, nature of this one. I've had kind of a hard time putting this portion into words. It's much more restrained and not nearly as uplifting. Darker, heavier, more bop oriented. These are definitely the premier beats on the record, although maybe not the premier songs. Ready Err Not and Eyes Above are wonderfully understated tracks. Moment Of Hesitation is kind of a call back to the chaos the record began with. To a certain extent I'm struggling with the purpose of this section. It may be that it is truly aimless, but I'm giving Flylo the benefit of the doubt here and giving myself some time to piece it together/read other opinions. My instant reaction is that it represents wandering (still in a metaphysical sense as in the immediate prior section) and the absence of different concepts like time, space, sustenance, etc. Essentially, what exists within nothing? But idk.

The Boys Who Die In Their Sleep seems really out of place. I like the track for a variety of reasons--its playfulness (especially the vocals folks have been hating on, I enjoy the sly smile Flylo can toss toward listeners in ways like that), the sincerity of its pain, the beat itself. But it doesn't fit. Tough, tho, because Flylo has experienced two big losses (Austin Peralta and DJ Rashad) stemming from drug use and it feels like this was meant to represent that...but is just kind of there. Standing in the middle of the record by itself.

-----

Section Five: Final Resting Place

Your Potential/The Beyond | The Protest

-----

idk brehs this feels pretty obvious to me. End of the journey. Acceptance. Dope nature-tinged beats and vocal harmonies. Becoming one with the beating pulse of the universe.

-----

So yeah. Dope record. I think the songs work individually as representations of death as an experience, but when taken as a whole the album truly shines. I would say this is the most cohesive Flylo has ever been. Also the least technical, most warm and humane. It's an extremely emotion based record. Obviously it's still super early so I'll come back to my thoughts regarding the album, but for now I love it. Slotting it ahead of Shabazz for my favorite of the year so far.

Final verdict:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:09:29 PM by Pickles the Firecat »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2171 on: September 28, 2014, 08:12:12 PM »
I won't do my kawaii anime review out of respect for Pickles legit and well written review.

« Reply #2172 on: September 28, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
:fbm kawaii anime .gif review my most anticipated drop of the year

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2173 on: September 28, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
I agree about section four, quite an amazing stretch.

Overall I think it's a good album that manages to top itself multiple times. The bass is just amazing. Overall it does have some mis-steps but overall I enjoy it. And yes, Never Catch Me remains dope as fuck.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2174 on: September 28, 2014, 09:31:50 PM »
I thought that was the kawaii anime review  :hitler

« Reply #2175 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »
Teetering the edges of hiphop but whatever, the new Mono/Poly is nothing but bangers.

Empryean is next level vibes

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2176 on: September 30, 2014, 04:09:52 PM »
This Rich Gang tape is the shit. I love that Birdman put his face and name on this despite his only presence being a "RICH GANG" drop that the DJ hits all too often.
http://www.datpiff.com/Rich-Gang-Young-Thug-Rich-Gang-Tha-Tour-Pt-1-mixtape.651609.html

Beezy

« Reply #2177 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
Just came here to say the same about the Rich Gang mixtape. Glad its not only me who thinks so.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2178 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »
Esch is Gaf-Hop always this bad  :goty2

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2179 on: October 01, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »
I give partial blame to the Coli. When did it become acceptable to be a stan?  :what

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2181 on: October 01, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
Rozewood has been on quite a run this year. Really like Lucid.//Ghxsts.

« Reply #2182 on: October 01, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
I hate every single person who recommended this Flying Lotus garbage. What a cacophony of shit. Bunch of idiots mashing keys  bumping into instruments while blazed. What the fuck is this shit.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #2183 on: October 01, 2014, 12:56:17 PM »
So is there gonna be a new Captain Murphy tape or what  :'(
地平線

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2184 on: October 01, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »
Esch is Gaf-Hop always this bad  :goty2

brehs were in rare form last night. Receipts were pulled, jimmies were rustled, mental hoops were jumped through; I haven't seen the art of stan wars practised so beautifully since the Reconflicts of 2011, an 3 de GAF-Hopublique.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:25:18 PM by jakefromstatefarm »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2185 on: October 01, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
plus, underneath all the try-hard humor, there were actual arguments being made

as opposed to every Kanye cycle that inevitably leads to blackule and courage fellating themselves

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2186 on: October 01, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
I had to go to bed early last night just to ensure I didn't spend the entire night in the fuckery  :lol

The brilliant thing was that they knew it was trolling yet couldn't help but respond :dead

« Reply #2187 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »

El Babua

« Reply #2188 on: October 01, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
Just read the last two pages there. :dead

« Reply #2189 on: October 01, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
Some of those guys have feelings for Ye that they just don't know how to handle yet

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2190 on: October 01, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
Really all the credit has to go to PD. I've rustled jimmies before but one can only rustle so far dolo. It's like trying to play a 90s light gun game by yourself. Last night was the neogaf version of this basically:

Like shooting fatherless fish in a barrel, brehs. You know it's a good troll session when you have people questioning their choices to post on the internet, or meta commenting on the state of discussion in the community.

:dead

"Don't you do it!!!"  :heh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2191 on: October 01, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »
Really all the credit has to go to PD. I've rustled jimmies before but one can only rustle so far dolo. It's like trying to play a 90s light gun game by yourself. Last night was the neogaf version of this basically:

Like shooting fatherless fish in a barrel, brehs. You know it's a good troll session when you have people questioning their choices to post on the internet, or meta commenting on the state of discussion in the community.

:dead

"Don't you do it!!!"  :heh

cracks me up every time  :lol

When Nas walked out and everyone started celebrating I bet that dude tried to play his shookness off like "oh...I thought it was gonna be Amil yall"

Courage

« Reply #2192 on: October 01, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
That Pickles review

« Reply #2193 on: October 01, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
I saw someone say Yeezus deserves credit as a project for putting on young, talented producers... :neogaf

Big difference between leeching off the talent of others and putting them in a position to win in life. If 'Ye's goal was raising those dudes up he's a fucking moron in how he went about it. None of them got pub. None of them got credit. It was all Kanye. And now what? Does anyone even remember that Evian Christ had an EP this year? Brehs I saw Evian, like 50 people showed up. Half of them were in-crowd (other artists, promoters) and the other half were suits. If your show is 100% guest-list wars someone somewhere fucked up. It may have been the least attended show I've seen all year and I've been to buddies opening at cafes and shit.

Like five people even know Arca has a record coming out. Guarantee breh gets more pub working with Bjork than Kanye.

Bunch of idiots mashing keys  bumping into instruments while blazed. What the fuck is this shit.

Nah bruv. It's one thing to not fuck with disorganization and chaos in music. If you need structure and delineated progression it's probably not for you. But jumping from that to "it's nonsense" is ridic. There's a clear purpose to each track on the record and its composition. Just isn't something everyone loves.

So is there gonna be a new Captain Murphy tape or what  :'(

Apparently Kendrick is the hold up on that. Is using his rap beats for the album and still choosing which he wants.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2194 on: October 01, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Those dudes definitely got credit on the record. Shit, Lunice got credit for the "R U Ready" sample/rework. What's Kanye supposed to do to, put out press releases on their behalf? They're not his artists, so he doesn't have any reason to promote them. He's not doing anything Dr. Dre didn't do 20 years ago.

Pickles, out of curiosity, how long have you been a FlyLo fan?

« Reply #2195 on: October 01, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »
He's not doing anything Dr. Dre didn't do 20 years ago.

I have beef with the way Dre handles his ghost producers, too. I hate saying it but the tiff Storch had with him back in the day....Storch was right. If the industry only has juggernauts because those juggernauts can exploit younger less established artists, maybe the structure of the industry isn't worth keeping around.

But more to the point, you can't give Kanye credit for putting dudes on just for properly attributing their work in his record. That's literally the bare minimum. It makes him less of a shitstain than other producers, but not by a lot. It just goes back to a lot of people wanting to give Kanye credit for literally every single thing imaginable but his greatest talent: synthesizing dope music from a variety of styles and sources. He has a great ear and an amazing ability to stitch together beats from other peoples work.

'08 or so. Around the same time I started going to Low End, buying tapes, etc.

« Reply #2196 on: October 01, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »
Exactly.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2197 on: October 01, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
He's not doing anything Dr. Dre didn't do 20 years ago.

I have beef with the way Dre handles his ghost producers, too. I hate saying it but the tiff Storch had with him back in the day....Storch was right. If the industry only has juggernauts because those juggernauts can exploit younger less established artists, maybe the structure of the industry isn't worth keeping around.

But more to the point, you can't give Kanye credit for putting dudes on just for properly attributing their work in his record. That's literally the bare minimum. It makes him less of a shitstain than other producers, but not by a lot. It just goes back to a lot of people wanting to give Kanye credit for literally every single thing imaginable but his greatest talent: synthesizing dope music from a variety of styles and sources. He has a great ear and an amazing ability to stitch together beats from other peoples work.

'08 or so. Around the same time I started going to Low End, buying tapes, etc.

I don't disagree with any of that. I haven't read the other thread, so I feel like I'm missing some context, but I haven't gotten an impression from many people that they think the mere association of working with Kanye is a guarantee of success. If anyone's claiming that, that's dumb.   

And that's about the same time I started listening to him, somewhere between 1983 and Los Angeles. I only ask about how long because each time he drops a new album I'm baffled by how much further he sometimes strays away from the really beat heavy stuff he started with. I get where he's going with it, and it's impressive from a technical standpoint, but fusion is not my cup of tea. The whole first part of the album drives me nuts, because it's so dense with virtuosic wankery. The stretch between Coronus and Eyes Above is exactly what I was hoping the whole album would be, and then it sinks back into being kind of a slog to me. It's like he separated the beats and the jazzy elements of Cosmogramma. I really wanted to love it, but it just kinda falls flat for me. The progression of his stuff from July Heat to this is still fascinating to me though, and I'm looking forward to hearing how far he takes in like three more albums.

« Reply #2198 on: October 01, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
And that's about the same time I started listening to him, somewhere between 1983 and Los Angeles. I only ask about how long because each time he drops a new album I'm baffled by how much further he sometimes strays away from the really beat heavy stuff he started with. I get where he's going with it, and it's impressive from a technical standpoint, but fusion is not my cup of tea. The whole first part of the album drives me nuts, because it's so dense with virtuosic wankery. The stretch between Coronus and Eyes Above is exactly what I was hoping the whole album would be, and then it sinks back into being kind of a slog to me. It's like he separated the beats and the jazzy elements of Cosmogramma. I really wanted to love it, but it just kinda falls flat for me. The progression of his stuff from July Heat to this is still fascinating to me though, and I'm looking forward to hearing how far he takes in like three more albums.

I thought the record would be more similar to that stretch (Coronus -->), too. I think it works best because it's the only area where he kind of fuses his older beat approach to his more jazz-influenced recent work--I'd include the stretch just before it as well, in that regard. I honestly am really confused by dudes not being ultra into Dead Man's Tetris, that song BANGS while retaining the disorientation of the opening section. Whereas the other sections lean a lot more to one side or the other.

I feel like there's a very heavy footwork influence on You're Dead! that I have trouble describing, and a lot of that is probably owed to his friendship with Rashad. Obviously his friendship with Thundercat led him to ultra spastic bass work on the record. And those two elements kind of came together super heavy off the jump because he wanted to explore certain themes and ideas that can be emphasized by very scattershot and elusive composition. I really, truly don't believe that he set out to produce a technical masterpiece free-jazz jerking off into his own face opening to the record. It's just meant to be dive into cold water. Brisk, shocking, sensory overload. But I totally get how dudes are feeling that way about it.

I'm not entirely sure if he'll ever circle back around to traditional (by his standards) beat stuff unfortunately. He seems to place a lot of value in creating work that is unique to him and him alone. So his live sets kind of fill the beat space for him, and I'm sure he's going to do like the Beat Invitational (if it's around this year) and other stuff to hit those spots. But I'm not 100% sure he can keep going in the direction he's headed in now, either. He's covered a lot of the ground available to cover if he's serious about continually pushing forward...what's left in the kind of free-jazz/beat fusion space for him? idk. Honestly that's one of the reasons I stan for him and a lot of other guys who have his thought process. It's legit really exciting, for me, to think about how he's going to evolve his sound and push forward. Who he can collaborate with and be influenced by. And to know that however it turns out, dude is going to surprise the hell out of me (barring a UTQC treadmill) and really make me think about his approach/execution. Like you said, the progression from album to album is amazing just as a fan of music. Sometimes it's hard to believe 1983 and You're Dead came from the same dude.

edit: you could totes copy/paste the last paragraph I wrote into a Kanye stan post with a few corrections and it would be seamless.

Cheddahz

« Reply #2199 on: October 02, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
...uh, there's a new Childish Gambino mixtape out

http://stonemounta.in/kauai/

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2200 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
No thank you.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2201 on: October 03, 2014, 02:12:05 AM »
I like how all his niccas are assuming the position at the beginning :hitler

shirtless men working out :hitler
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2202 on: October 03, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
If I had the patience and attention span, I'd write something as verbose and gushing as Pickles' FlyLo review for this Rich Gang tape. I know I already posted it, but seriously, it's fucking great. Quan said he and Thug were the best duo since Outkast and this tape makes a good case for that.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2203 on: October 03, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »
If I had the patience and attention span, I'd write something as verbose and gushing as Pickles' FlyLo review for this Rich Gang tape. I know I already posted it, but seriously, it's fucking great. Quan said he and Thug were the best duo since Outkast and this tape makes a good case for that.

I love how they trade off adlib duty for each other. Also Quan harmonizing  :lol. One of the better tapes of the year. I'm hoping Future's "Monster" tape at the end of the month also bangs.

Cheddahz

« Reply #2204 on: October 03, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2205 on: October 03, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
I thought that Childish Gambino track was a particularly bad Big Sean one for weeks.  Who the fuck let this dude rap?  I blame white people  :bolo
vin

El Babua

« Reply #2206 on: October 03, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
Checked out the FlyLo album. Pretty tight.

I Once Loved Donuts

« Reply #2207 on: October 04, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2208 on: October 05, 2014, 04:23:22 AM »
Bore-Hop consensus on Mobb Deep vs Outkast for the best rap duo of all times?

« Reply #2209 on: October 05, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
OutKast impacted the culture, Mobb Deep was great for a while, but didn't really affect anything. Plus, OutKast just made better music.

Shook Ones > Outkast > Everything else from Mobb Deep

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2210 on: October 05, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
What they said.

Prodigy's gotta be the most quoted dude in hiphop though

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2211 on: October 05, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »
Prodigy has been scratched in hooks from mainstream to underground for years...do your googles  :ufup

Guru didnt do too much for me until Moment of Truth

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2212 on: October 05, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »

2009 and I'm sure there are more after  :jawalrus

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2213 on: October 05, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
F you too and F Bleek 3  :pacspit

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2214 on: October 05, 2014, 02:16:54 PM »
Seriously though, man had gold and platinum plaques, movies (low budget ones but still), and a godamn clothing line, and it STILL wasn't enough  :mindblown

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2215 on: October 05, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »
the best duo is gang starr if that counts though
[close]

Step in the Arena
Daily Operation
Hard to Earn
Moment of Truth

how many other duos can claim a better 4 album run?

add in the two Jazzmatazz', Guru's discog is up there with the best

:tocry
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2216 on: October 05, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Gangstarr doesn't qualify. The most apt comparison to Mobb vs Kast there would be Gangstarr vs Eric B and Rakim, and I assume we all know that's not a remotely fair fight.

Courage

« Reply #2218 on: October 05, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »
Although you hate my kind, I still love you Storm :tocry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2219 on: October 05, 2014, 11:16:49 PM »
we gonna pretend like Prodigy wasn't top 5 from 95-97? Hell you could take it to 2000 if you want.

Outkast>Gangstarr>Mobb Deep>Showbiz and A.G.