Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 742345 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #2700 on: December 02, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
Tonya

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2701 on: December 02, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »
Yeah this 36 Seasons album is certified.

Ghost, AZ, and Kool G Rap all still have it and these Revelations dudes are dope as hell.

Doesn't Ghost have another album dropping with BBNG soon? Crazy

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2702 on: December 03, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
Deck is the only member of Wu who's even acknowledging ABT exists. I guess the only thing that really unites Wu-Tang these days is how much they hate the RZA

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2703 on: December 03, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »

:kobeyuck

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2704 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
I'll listen to it in full tonight.

It's hilarious how much better 36 Seasons sounds. I tend to dislike a lot of instrumentation in rap because it's boring and doesn't really "knock" but a lot of these beats have solid melody, they're fresh, and most importantly it's shit I don't mind hearing rap over. Imagine being at a club and the band starts playing Here I Go Again or that track with the bass line. I can imagine someone jumping on stage and freestyling to that shit. Now imagine a band on stage playing that Preacher's Daughter track or just about any ABT track...nah. It's that simple.

Too bad these dudes just can't use their tour money to buy a ticket to Cali and record an album with Alchemist. Be hard headed and broke in your 40s after making millions of dollars brehs. Meth is doing fine obviously but these other dudes need one last, shining moment. Let it be Alchemist, who will record with actual bums so money shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:06:54 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2705 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
What kills me is how diehard yes-men fans use the term "progression" to excuse weak shit from their favorite artists in hiphop. "Did ya'll really expect 36 Chambers in 2014?" No motherfucker, but I expected something far better from someone of RZA's caliber. They regress if anything, but because the record has a certain name on it, people will force themselves to put up with subpar music off the strength of their past work which they ironically want to artist to move past.

Since PD brought him up, Alchemist is an example of actual progression. Vastly improving his sound and staying dope while doing it.

Alchemist in 1998

A nice little beat, nothing too complex. Very simple, actually.

Alchemist in 2007

Samples/sounds chopped and layered on top of each other, timed at the right points. A smooth, slightly hypnotic bass... :lawd

But I'm supposed to settle for flabby and sick RZA.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2706 on: December 03, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
Preacher's Daughter has the worst chorus of the year WTF. Nearly everything else about the song is cool but that chorus is laughable. Meth comes correct, Ghost has a really good verse etc...but that chorus is straight up ass.

:neogaf

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2707 on: December 03, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
based on those first two albums you'd never guess he was from a broken home with a drug addict mom. He'd rather rap about how he went to college and all the dumb bitches who get in his way.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2708 on: December 03, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
Forgot how hard that Far Left beat is.

:whew

bless the god alc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2709 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »

take your dime piece to a rap show brehs :tocry

« Reply #2710 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:24 AM »
I... I'm... I'm really feeling the iLoveMakonnen EP

idk what choices I made to end up here but I can't take them back now

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #2711 on: December 04, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »

take your dime piece to a rap show brehs :tocry

Your dime piece goes for an F-Tier Rapper breh

Come to a show with your Target christmas employment funds breh

:tocry

Had some mid level comedian say some shit to my girl once when we were younger...

"Hot girl what you doing with that man right there?"

"He got more money than you, scrub"

:umad

If that shit happen today

"Girl what you doing with that man right there?"

Me "She's yours now, good luck!"

:neogaf
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:29:59 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2712 on: December 04, 2014, 10:30:18 AM »
Should have married a white woman like 80% of black NFL players bruh. You'd be better off.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/brennan-clay-demarco-murray-been-banging-out-my-wife.271841/
 :jawalrus

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2713 on: December 04, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
Should have married a white woman like 80% of black NFL players bruh. You'd be better off.
(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/brennan-clay-demarco-murray-been-banging-out-my-wife.271841/

I dated some. They are just too.....I don't really have a word so I'll say "self important" for my liking.

It's more about "I want to be seen doing stuff with you" then "I want to be with you"

YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2714 on: December 04, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »
Lead the league in rushing and white women stolen brehs....

YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2715 on: December 04, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2716 on: December 04, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »
I've seen dat white girl bragging first hand. "Did you know my boyfriend is black?" Uhhh no and I don't really care.
:heh

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2717 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
I've seen dat white girl bragging first hand. "Did you know my boyfriend is black?" Uhhh no and I don't really care.
:heh

Take that up a level or two bud.

"That's my man out there playin' ball.....that's my man cashing checks.....that's my man out there first row at Quik's concert"

:snoop
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2718 on: December 04, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
LOL at the Coli thinking they invented the term Becky.....distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.

:phil
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2719 on: December 04, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
Dj Premiere and Royce Da 5'9 are doing an AMA on reddit today around 5pm brehs. Just an FYI if you want to chime in and ask him why Guru was better than Nas.
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2720 on: December 04, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »
Ask them why they didn't do this 10 years ago when they were worth a damn

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2721 on: December 04, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »

Sorry YG can't spell well enough to do an AMA breh, that struggle.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2722 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
A Better Tomorrow improves towards the end, but not enough to make it a worthwhile project. Overall it feels thematically coherent yet forced. This is 100% RZA: he came up with the ideas and forced the direction of the album. I don't hear any collaborative effort here. Instead it's "ok brothers, rap about a preacher's daughter for this track."

Pioneer The Frontier is one of the better tracks but it sounds like it was created with a RZA producer kit from the 90s: old samples/sounds mixed together to remind us of when the Wu was dope. But the first verse feels out of place with RZA's monotone rapping. Necklace is a good beat and overall I like the song the most. BTW Necklace was produced by 4th Disciple.

This is the final nail in the coffin. The Wu is dead. RZA is trash, and while the other members can still rap they clearly have no work ethic or motivation to get the ball rolling separately. My dream would be 4th Disciple, Mathematics, and Alchemist producing a Wu album - whether they call themselves "Wu Tang" or something else, I don't care. Basically make it what Shaolin v Wu Tang was supposed to be: all the clan minus RZA over dope production.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2723 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »

If you're no longer a fan of washed up rapper X, then you must be a fan of wack rapper Y

Those flabmatics

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2724 on: December 04, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
A Better Tomorrow improves towards the end, but not enough to make it a worthwhile project. Overall it feels thematically coherent yet forced. This is 100% RZA: he came up with the ideas and forced the direction of the album. I don't hear any collaborative effort here. Instead it's "ok brothers, rap about a preacher's daughter for this track."

Pioneer The Frontier is one of the better tracks but it sounds like it was created with a RZA producer kit from the 90s: old samples/sounds mixed together to remind us of when the Wu was dope. But the first verse feels out of place with RZA's monotone rapping. Necklace is a good beat and overall I like the song the most. BTW Necklace was produced by 4th Disciple.

This is the final nail in the coffin. The Wu is dead. RZA is trash, and while the other members can still rap they clearly have no work ethic or motivation to get the ball rolling separately. My dream would be 4th Disciple, Mathematics, and Alchemist producing a Wu album - whether they call themselves "Wu Tang" or something else, I don't care. Basically make it what Shaolin v Wu Tang was supposed to be: all the clan minus RZA over dope production.

I wanted this to materialize so badly

:lawd

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2725 on: December 04, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »

If you're no longer a fan of washed up rapper X, then you must be a fan of wack rapper Y

Those flabmatics (Image removed from quote.)

#Dead Rapper breh

And nobody you like, and I mean nobody, could touch Guru much less pretend to be anywhere near as valuable to the hip hop genre. So...keep talking scrub, please. Your salt makes my food taste better.

:mouf
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2726 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
 :heh meanwhile Jeru killed him on his own shit

Styles and Jada were so on point  :whew

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2727 on: December 04, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »
Jeru wouldn't be there if not for Guru.

At this point you should take a day to study the artform before you blast dumbo style cac shit.
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2728 on: December 04, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Jeru wouldn't be there if not for Guru.
This is true...and?

Jay-Z wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Jaz-O. You're not about to front like Jaz-O's better than Jay-Z are you?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2730 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
The way AIA talks about Guru, you'd think he were Rakim or Kool G Rap, but he's not anywhere near that level of talent. His work without Primo, especially from Jazzmataz 3 on, is mediocre to flat-out embarrassing. It's like night and day. There are clearly MCs today that are on and above his level.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2731 on: December 04, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »
The way AIA talks about Guru, you'd think he were Rakim or Kool G Rap, but he's not anywhere near that level of talent. His work without Primo, especially from Jazzmataz 3 on, is mediocre to flat-out embarrassing. It's like night and day. There are clearly MCs today that are on and above his level.

LOL, there hasn't been an "MC" since about 2005. Cute use of MC though.

And Seagal must be a black thing because I love that fucking guy too. I think I have every one of his DVD's.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2732 on: December 04, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »

I wanted this to materialize so badly

What a rip off job. The first track they premiered was Butter Knives, which is classic Wu. Next was the title track, which is equally amazing.

Then the album came out and was meh. It has many dope tracks but the production just didn't match those first two tracks.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2733 on: December 04, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
 ::) Rapper then, fine. That's the kind of didactic condescension that makes you dusty older dudes impossible to take seriously. It's telling that you're not even trying to refute that Guru isn't shit without Premier.

:lol @ Baby not even paying his mealticket. Not surprising, since basically anyone who's ever signed to Cash Money has dealt with this shit.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2734 on: December 04, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
The mere fact that little fucking wayne has some credibility makes us "old dusty" dudes question why the fuck you call this shit hip-hop anymore, because it clearly isn't. He sounds like one of the dudes from Bone Thugs sucking helium before spitting.

Little Wayne? Trash
Kanye? Trash (on the mic, great off of it)
Wu-Tang with Rza? Garbage

There just isn't anybody "grabbing the brass right" to borrow a phrase from Vinny Mac.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2735 on: December 04, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
what rap albums have you listened to this year AiA...

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2736 on: December 04, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
what rap albums have you listened to this year AiA...

Whatever shit my son is playing which I assume is what all the kids are listening too. I'm tempted to pull an AiA pops move like he did when he took my brotha lynch hung CD and tossed it out the window of the car on the way to football practice.

Edit: Just remembered it was a cassette....

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:45:57 PM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2737 on: December 04, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »
:lol I knew this was gonna devolve into something as dumb as 'there's rap and then there's HIP HOP'. I just don't get why dudes who are so obsessed with the 'golden era' get SO OFFENDED by modern rap that they feel the need to shit all over it anytime they get a chance. Dudes aren't gonna start looping up Ornette Coleman on an SP1200 if you keep complaining about how much worse things are than when you were a kid.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2738 on: December 04, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
:lol I knew this was gonna devolve into something as dumb as 'there's rap and then there's HIP HOP'. I just don't get why dudes who are so obsessed with the 'golden era' get SO OFFENDED by modern rap that they feel the need to shit all over it anytime they get a chance. Dudes aren't gonna start looping up Ornette Coleman on an SP1200 if you keep complaining about how much worse things are than when you were a kid.

Y'all also tell a guy who stands behind a computer and nods his head a "DJ" so I can't expect you to know what an MC is....I'll rebut with saying you really don't know how to make music anymore so I forgive you.

#hugs
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2739 on: December 04, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
I'm going to post some shit and ask if you fux with it after work, AiA.

on Wayne: won't his next album sell decently regardless? He just needs a single that works, which shouldn't be hard given how the public eats his bullshit up. I don't understand the delay, it's not like he's some dude without a fan base. Granted he's trash but a lot of people still fuck with him.

How long before Drake jumps ship?

« Reply #2740 on: December 04, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
AiA real talk I think you'd be into Piņata if you haven't heard it. Feels like you.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2741 on: December 04, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
I'm open minded. Post some stuff and I'll peep it out.

I just don't understand why young heads can't respect we were there when the music was made so of course we are going to be a little selective when a bunch on 18 year olds behind a computer expect us to respect them as much as Gangstarr.
YMMV

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2742 on: December 04, 2014, 03:00:34 PM »
dp

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2743 on: December 04, 2014, 03:00:57 PM »

Oh I get it, especially since there was such a heavy concentration of amazing shit from 88-96 that I can't imagine anyone who got to live through that wouldn't be nostalgic, and I'm not discounting the quality of any of it. It's just frustrating to see it championed as the only era worth a damn. I'm not expecting anyone to think OG Maco is as 'respectable' as Guru or whatever, but the prevalence of 'golden agers' who drop in to say "this shit sucks! kids these days are so stupid!" is much higher than any other 'clique' of rap heads. You literally just said it shouldn't even be called hip-hop, lol. I get that this is a generational thing that happens across all kinds of genres and mediums, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

Music in general is on a much broader playing field these days and if you don't have the time to go digging for it, good music is harder to come by.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2744 on: December 04, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
I remember when DJ Quik told me back then all the west coasters made it almost a law to put what they considered the best track on the album as song #7. 

I didn't believe him because he's a bit crazy but I fact checked that shit the next day and young me was all like

:mindblown
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2745 on: December 04, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
dp

You into Eiffel Towering them broads, eh?

YMMV

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2746 on: December 04, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
I'm typically a one penis per fantasy rule kinda dude. I'd go halvsies on a ScarJo or the like tho

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does it count as DP if it's an eiffel tower?  ???
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2747 on: December 04, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2748 on: December 04, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
His socks is clean though.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2749 on: December 04, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2750 on: December 04, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
I need to get me some sweatpants with drawstrings on the ankles yo.
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2751 on: December 04, 2014, 03:24:28 PM »
:lol @ Baby not even paying his mealticket. Not surprising, since basically anyone who's ever signed to Cash Money has dealt with this shit.
(Image removed from quote.)

It really is over for Cash Young, man fuck that Cash Money.

Baby and Slim jerking artists was nothing new but damn...you'd figure Wayne was somewhat immune after all this time. Maybe now we can get a Hot Boys reunion with Fresh on production  :gladbron....oh wait...BG is locked up  :tocry

Ya'll give me a minute

« Reply #2752 on: December 04, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
The constantly fluctuating state of emotion in his voice. Playful, simple keyboard melodies backed by real musicianship. Earnest sincerity underlined with a coy smile and knowing wink. A seriousness and dedication to being himself. Mixing his voice way, way, way, way the fuck above the beat. A staunch adherence to literalism in his lyrics.

iLoveMakonnen is rap game Gene Belcher. Compare:

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #2753 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:22 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2754 on: December 05, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
PRhyme_Official81 points 14 hours ago
Premier--I never Produced with 2Pac but I have a song for whenever I need to use it on Acapella. One day It will come out when I put a beat to it.

mikeaveli2682 14 points 14 hours ago
Thank you very much for the info. Can't wait to hear that. Great work on PRhyme

StraightEdge12231 22 points 15 hours ago
Are the rumours true about your beef with Biggie? And if so what was it about?

PRhyme_Official 37 points 15 hours ago
me and Big never had beef. There was some issues regarding one of my artists Jeru The Damaja but that got taken care of

:leon

adventurepony 1 point 15 hours ago
Preme can you tell us a good guru story none of us would have heard, and what really went down with solar?

PRhyme_Official11 points 13 hours ago
Premier--I have many stories but too much to type. As for Solar i don't want to give him any shine. He don't deserve anything coming from me so I will stay positive to avoid all negative fronts.

:kobeyuck
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:17:21 AM by Am_I_Anonymous »
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2755 on: December 05, 2014, 09:25:55 AM »
Jeru dissed Puffy throughout Wrath Of The Math, and Biggie responded with Kick In The Door (which also dissed Nas and some other rappers).

Fuck Solar. Dunno if Guru was gay but whatever happened was some sad shit. The way he was essentially brainwashed and bullied by Solar just doesn't make sense when you take Guru's personality into account. Dude was a wilin' out drunk badass who became a passive follower once Solar for hold of him...

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2756 on: December 05, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
Jeru dissed Puffy throughout Wrath Of The Math, and Biggie responded with Kick In The Door (which also dissed Nas and some other rappers).

Fuck Solar. Dunno if Guru was gay but whatever happened was some sad shit. The way he was essentially brainwashed and bullied by Solar just doesn't make sense when you take Guru's personality into account. Dude was a wilin' out drunk badass who became a passive follower once Solar for hold of him...

Didn't Solar not really get involved until he got diagnosed with cancer? Either way it's a damn shame the way he went out.
YMMV

sarslip

« Reply #2757 on: December 05, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
Wrath of the Math  :lawd

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2758 on: December 05, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
Nah Solar used to hang around the Gangstarr clique for years, and wound up doing exclusive work with Guru in 2005. By then Guru and Premo had fallen out and Solar became his producer. He did various interviews dissing Premo's style and declaring Solar the best hip hop producer. It all seemed odd but nothing to weird at first...but as the years went by it did start to seem strange. Watch some YouTube interviews of them after work breh, notice how it seems like Solar is Guru's boss or some shit. Weird.

Solar made Guru tour while he was sick, which is why people believe he was being extorted or something. Then when Guru went to the hospital his family wasn't allowed to visit him until the near end. Guru was in a coma yet somehow wrote a letter stating he wanted nothing to do with Premo or Gangstarr, and that Solar was his only producer. Total obvious bullshit, nobody wakes from a coma to write some letter like that, then falls back into a coma.

Shit makes me furious just thinking about it again man. It's not even about the music, which I loved (always felt like Guru would say something you could feel personally). Treating a sick, dying person like that is disgusting.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #2759 on: December 05, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »
Nah Solar used to hang around the Gangstarr clique for years, and wound up doing exclusive work with Guru in 2005. By then Guru and Premo had fallen out and Solar became his producer. He did various interviews dissing Premo's style and declaring Solar the best hip hop producer. It all seemed odd but nothing to weird at first...but as the years went by it did start to seem strange. Watch some YouTube interviews of them after work breh, notice how it seems like Solar is Guru's boss or some shit. Weird.

Solar made Guru tour while he was sick, which is why people believe he was being extorted or something. Then when Guru went to the hospital his family wasn't allowed to visit him until the near end. Guru was in a coma yet somehow wrote a letter stating he wanted nothing to do with Premo or Gangstarr, and that Solar was his only producer. Total obvious bullshit, nobody wakes from a coma to write some letter like that, then falls back into a coma.

Shit makes me furious just thinking about it again man. It's not even about the music, which I loved (always felt like Guru would say something you could feel personally). Treating a sick, dying person like that is disgusting.

Yeah I remember Guru's son even been held out by Solar. Fuck that noise that dude needs a bat upside his brain.
YMMV