Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 742083 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #3060 on: March 16, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
Oh good, more noobs to shitstomp back to gaf. Post some bullshit hip hop, I dare you   :ufup

spoiler (click to show/hide)
welcome
[close]
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3061 on: March 16, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »
These Walls

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3062 on: March 16, 2015, 01:08:42 PM »

1. Intro (Prod. by Jerry Wonda)
2. 4 In the Morning Ft. Ghostface Killah ( Prod. by Scram Jones)
3. I Got Money Ft. A$ap Rocky ( Prod. by S1 aka Symbolic One)
4. Wall to Wall Ft. French Montana & Busta Rhymes (Prod. by She da God, co-prod Snaz)
5. Heated Nights (Prod. by Frank G)
6. Fila Word Ft. 2 Chainz (Prod. by Scram Jones)
7. 1,2 1,2 Ft. Snoop Dogg ( Prod. by Scoop Deville)
8. Live to die (Prod. by S1 aka Symbolic One)
9. Soundboy Kill it Ft. Melanie Fiona & Assassin (Prod. by Jerry Wonda)
10. Revory (Wraith) Ft. Rick Ro$$, Ghostface KIllah (Prod by Bluerocks)
11. All About You Ft. Estelle ( Prod. by Jerry Wonda)
12. Nautilus (Prod. by Scram Jones)
13. Worst Enemy Ft. Liz Rodriguez ( Prod. by Matt Burnett)

:dead :dead :dead :dead :dead :dead :dead

The Artful Dodger

« Reply #3063 on: March 16, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3064 on: March 16, 2015, 01:50:32 PM »
Throne of worst mixtape covers of any artist

Agreed      :kobeyuck
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3065 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:57 PM »
Bless Raekwon for trolling conspiracy minded Wu stans/smart dumb nikkas across the globe. I eagerly look forward to various geocities quality sites propping up explaining the 13 demonic signs hidden in the cover.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #3066 on: March 16, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
Mortal Man
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Hehe, just listened when I saw on FB that he sampled the interview that our most legendary music journalist Mats Nileskär did with Pac back in 1994. P3 Soul is da best
地平線

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #3067 on: March 16, 2015, 05:08:59 PM »

semi-related, if any of y'all are interested my friend just put this coffee table book out, first run is limited to 400 copies so if you want one, go go

http://damnsonwheredidyoufindthis.com
地平線

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3068 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »

semi-related, if any of y'all are interested my friend just put this coffee table book out, first run is limited to 400 copies so if you want one, go go

I think I'm going to buy it off the name alone. My brothers/friends and I have been mastering the art of uttering "damn son, where did you find this?" at the most random or inopportune times for years.
:heh

« Reply #3069 on: March 16, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »

This is actually pretty cool, going to grab a copy.

The Artful Dodger

« Reply #3070 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
Also can we talk about how huge George Clinton has been in Hip-Hop?

It's crazy how the man keeps popping up in the genre.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3071 on: March 17, 2015, 12:19:58 AM »

:rejoice

His voice elevates even the most simple melodies to another level. I love his appearance on Wesley's Theory, that shit is just smooth as hell.

Cheddahz

« Reply #3072 on: March 17, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3073 on: March 17, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
new Earl is cool but it sounds more low quality than lofi. weird mixing/mastering

How Much A Dollar Cost is Kendrick's best song. I would have sworn it samples Pyramid Song but it's not listed in the credits.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3074 on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »
new Earl is cool but it sounds more low quality than lofi. weird mixing/mastering

How Much A Dollar Cost is Kendrick's best song. I would have sworn it samples Pyramid Song but it's not listed in the credits.

If the whole album was in the vein of that song

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3075 on: March 17, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3076 on: March 17, 2015, 10:58:21 PM »
speaking of TDE, revisiting Ab-Soul's "Nevermind That" because I love the beat

"You know the name, Top Dawg, bitch!
No cat in this/Katniss, I volunteered for these Hunger Games"

"Real nicca shit, she wanna be righteous young rich nicca bitch
Are you a lesbian or a librarian? I know you got room for my dick
Shhh, Tionary in your library then
This ain’t a fairy tale, you are not dreaming, that Vitamin C, it is not semen
I'm prestigious, might press up on you-"

as ever

Cheddahz

« Reply #3077 on: March 19, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3078 on: March 19, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
holy shit

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3079 on: March 19, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »
man remember when we were kinda iffy on Ka working with a different producer? I knew Preservation was dope but just didn't think his style would fit Ka. But based on these last two tracks plus the EP it sounds like a perfect marriage.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:36:09 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Yo! Shinobi

« Reply #3080 on: March 19, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
That Kendrick album makes me want to listen to all the Tribe albums again. The new Kendrick album seems like it was done more for his "peers" than the fans to be honest. Dude wants a grammy so bad, he made an album sound like is on some World Music shit. Is the album solid, sure. I dig it as background music, but to have on my MP3 player while I'll go to work or just to go for a walk..Nope. Just make honest music, and you are good to go. Look at Outkast.
GENT$

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3081 on: March 19, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Kendrick doesn't give a shit about fame or acclaim breh. I can understand arguing he can be pretentious but the dude has never been out there auditioning for awards or caring. He just released an amalgam of black music, the rap version of a D'Angelo album featuring George Clinton...you think he thought that would win him a Grammy? Come on.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3082 on: March 19, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
Kendrick doesn't give a shit about fame or acclaim breh. I can understand arguing he can be pretentious but the dude has never been out there auditioning for awards or caring. He just released an amalgam of black music, the rap version of a D'Angelo album featuring George Clinton...you think he thought that would win him a Grammy? Come on.

Agreed, of all the young cats out there Kendrick is the one I can fucks with the most. He's more old school than anybody else right now.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3083 on: March 19, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
Interscope got him the Drake tour placement, the Grammys paired him with Imagine Dragons. Come on son.

I'll amend my statement a bit and say I definitely think he cares about hip hop as an art/competition, and thus cares about the opinions of the legends/OGs (Dre, Jay, Quik, Andre 3000, etc). That competition also bore out on Control. I think there's a distinction between that and wanting a bunch of 50yo white people to hand you a golden award. We're not talking about Kanye...

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3084 on: March 19, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »
Interscope got him the Drake tour placement, the Grammys paired him with Imagine Dragons. Come on son.

I'll amend my statement a bit and say I definitely think he cares about hip hop as an art/competition, and thus cares about the opinions of the legends/OGs (Dre, Jay, Quik, Andre 3000, etc). That competition also bore out on Control. I think there's a distinction between that and wanting a bunch of 50yo white people to hand you a golden award. We're not talking about Kanye...

Kanye  :pacspit   setting back our race for the last 10 years.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3085 on: March 19, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »
Attention seeking is a spectrum, playbwoi :hitler

I'm just saying, you don't get to the top of the game of thrones in hip hop in any era without wanting the fame and attention. No rapper who's ever been near the 'top' of the game is like that really. I'd even say Kendrick wants attention more than a dude like J. Cole who is in his own generation. I refuse to believe he didn't go to the Grammy's that night hoping that he'd get an award, or that he walked away not caring. Nobody who's worked their way up from trash thinks or feels that way.

I know you want to believe Kendrick Lamar is some pure gestalt of hip hop intention, but he's a human being and an ambitious one.

woo woo woo....hold up there. There is only one Gestalt of hip hop intention, that was Guru before Solar ruined his shit when he was sick.

YMMV

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3086 on: March 19, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »
wouldn't you agree there's a difference between being nominated/wanting to win an award, and making music with the intention of being nominated/winning awards? Of course he wanted to win, just as Cole wanted to win (look at that gif of when he lost best new artist lmao); who wouldn't. But neither goes into the studio creating music to win awards.

If anything, 2013's Grammys had to convince him that he's not going to win unless he plays their game; and even if you play their game you probably still won't win (see: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy). They don't give a shit about rap unless they have to, like when Outkast won.

It's going to be real funny seeing D'Angelo's Black Messiah (ie the most critically acclaimed album in recent history) either get snubbed of nominations or lose AOTY to whoever sold the most records/had the biggest hits (Daft Punk 2014), is a legend (Robert Plant 2009), or a random alternative album (Beck 2015).

the only 50-60yo white people I give a shit about opinion wise are my clients, management, and bosses.
:pacspit

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3087 on: March 19, 2015, 02:28:36 PM »
wouldn't you agree there's a difference between being nominated/wanting to win an award, and making music with the intention of being nominated/winning awards? Of course he wanted to win, just as Cole wanted to win (look at that gif of when he lost best new artist lmao); who wouldn't. But neither goes into the studio creating music to win awards.

If anything, 2013's Grammys had to convince him that he's not going to win unless he plays their game; and even if you play their game you probably still won't win (see: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy). They don't give a shit about rap unless they have to, like when Outkast won.

It's going to be real funny seeing D'Angelo's Black Messiah (ie the most critically acclaimed album in recent history) either get snubbed of nominations or lose AOTY to whoever sold the most records/had the biggest hits (Daft Punk 2014), is a legend (Robert Plant 2009), or a random alternative album (Beck 2015).

the only 50-60yo white people I give a shit about opinion wise are my clients, management, and bosses.
:pacspit

Having white people select any type of award for hip hop is like putting a black man in charge of the "best use of mayo" award. Makes no fucking sense.
YMMV

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3088 on: March 19, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »
I'm not listening to anymore Yen Lo until the album drops

Goddamn you Cheddaz  :maf

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3089 on: March 19, 2015, 02:48:31 PM »
you're probably right, Kanye most likely pissed someone off. Still I'm surprised such a cac-classic like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was snubbed.

sarslip

« Reply #3090 on: March 19, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »
i had to look it up  :lol

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3091 on: March 19, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »
New Bronson leaked :leon

It's alright...that's about it. Dude peaked a few mixtapes ago sadly

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3092 on: March 19, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3093 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »
his evolution has been crazy to watch. Dude used to just look soul samples and awkwardly rap over it. tutoring under Dilla is gonna lead to your drums knocking eventually tho.
:rejoice

it's crazy rappers like Bronson and various other "underground" rapper don't call up Black Milk, Oddisee, SKYWLKR, etc. Those dudes are putting out dope hard shit, and I doubt it's too expensive.

« Reply #3094 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:22 AM »
this month is stacked

:lawd

sarslip

« Reply #3095 on: March 20, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
his evolution has been crazy to watch.

True, but what about the evolution we've witnessed from the king himself?  This week he delivered a lengthy and varied project that comprises all of popular music from the last 50 years!  A possible "album of the decade". 

I mean, I get that rapping in all the different voices, and slam-poetry singing stuff can be weird, and I agree the retro-pandering can be at times overwrought, but from that opening bassline, you just know that he's the one who could pull it off.  His slim guest feature set, and that long closing track!  What a mindfuck, and tear jerker, at the same time, yeah Mr. Wonderful is an amazing album.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3096 on: March 20, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »
his evolution has been crazy to watch.

True, but what about the evolution we've witnessed from the king himself?  This week he delivered a lengthy and varied project that comprises all of popular music from the last 50 years!  A possible "album of the decade". 

I mean, I get that rapping in all the different voices, and slam-poetry singing stuff can be weird, and I agree the retro-pandering can be at times overwrought, but from that opening bassline, you just know that he's the one who could pull it off.  His slim guest feature set, and that long closing track!  What a mindfuck, and tear jerker, at the same time, yeah Mr. Wonderful is an amazing album.

My bad I should have specified I was talking about producer rappers. His rapping used to be pretty bad and his production ranged from meh to cool rip off type beats. Now he's doing crazy shit.

He did an interview where he said he did about 8 songs with Lauryn Hill for a project that likely won't come out. Said it was dope as hell and mainly rap shit. I know she fell off but I'd be curious to hear it.

sarslip

« Reply #3097 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »
i was just joking around about the Kdot press coverage ::) , but the idea of Black Milk x Bronson collab en league with a MadGibbs type execution, would be pretty ill!  i remember thinking Album of The Year showed a lot of potential, and he was almost there, im worried now he peaked in his solo stuff with No Poison, which I find slllightly better than If There's A Hell Below.  The latter just sounded like No Poison PT2

crazy about the lauryn hill project getting shelved.  her lyrics were great

So while you're imitating Al Capone, I'll be Nina Simone
 And defecating on your microphone

[sings top ten hook of all time]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:19:26 AM by sarslip »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3098 on: March 20, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
Be the only black family in town brehs....

have this dude https://www.facebook.com/pfahl2 drop off his mixtape in your mailbox because he thinks all black dudes must know rappers.

He's as bad as you think.

YMMV

sarslip

« Reply #3099 on: March 20, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3100 on: March 20, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
I used to think the "hey check out my mixtape" thing was just an online meme until it happened to me 5 times irl within the span of two months :dead

btw AiA thoughts on the Black Milk track I posted above?

« Reply #3101 on: March 20, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »
I used to think the "hey check out my mixtape" thing was just an online meme until it happened to me 5 times irl within the span of two months :dead

btw AiA thoughts on the Black Milk track I posted above?

Bonus points if a dude pulls a stack of burned CDs from his trunk at a gas station, and tries to get you to buy a copy for $5.

Makes me almost want to hear the flow of someone with such bad decision making skills.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3102 on: March 20, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »
I'm not sure if I like this dude Busdriver

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Some pretty nice production on these (the beat switch on Imaginary Places  :lawd) but I dunno. Rapid fire delivery but lyrically he's kind of all over the place right now for me

He might fall into that Tech N9ne category of "talented guy but I can't get jiggy with his music  :yeshrug"

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3103 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:45 PM »

I feel like To Pimp A Butterfly is the album I wanted in 2014 as I watched so much racial fuckery explode across the country. Instead of directly addressing a laundry list of the things that have happened over the last few years, Kendrick turns his focus inside. Much like Richard Wright and a host of other black writers he's concerned with understanding his own soul, his vices, his weaknesses, and how they relate to his community as a whole.

It's an ambitious album that could have easily missed its target with overly preachy lyricism or a boring narrative. Kendrick avoids this by putting his contradictions on full display, refusing to provide direct answers to the questions he raises, and rocking over some truly amazing production. The album touches nearly every aspect of black music with effortless precision. The funk of Wesley Snipes, the slam poetry of For Free, the r&b vibes of You Ain't Gotta Life...you can't pull this off without being a great, versatile artist. Throughout the album he displays near perfect control of his voice as an instrument, bending and strangling it to whatever emotion is required.

I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album. More impressively, the standout tracks aren't just standouts - they're some of Kendrick's best songs. These Walls (which reminds me of Stevie Wonder), the Dilla-esque marvel that is Momma, Hood Politics, and How Much A Dollar Cost - Kendrick's best song, period. The depressing u, the rage of The Blacker The Berry...there are too many standouts here.

And then he tops it off with Mortal Man. I've been a 2pac stan since I was a kid, I cried when he died...and I have no qualms about admitting Mortal Man brought water to my eyes. As with GKMC I haven't really found any urge to skip the skits throughout the album, or the long dialogue on this particular track. And each time it hits me in the gut.

After GKMC I reserved my expectations for its followup. I figured it would be good, but didn't expect it to surpass or match GKMC. Yet the more I listen to TPAB the more I want to declare it superior. I'm not there yet, but I strongly believe its standout tracks are better, and the songwriting is better. And I prefer the organic production. Regardless both are two of the best rap albums of the last decade. Kendrick could have easily given us GKMC 2.0, and I doubt fans would be disappointed in that. Instead he gave us the rap Sign O The Times.

9.5/10

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3104 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:45 PM »
TBH I don't really like GKMC, but I've always 'gotten' how good Kendrick is. I really enjoyed Section 80, and when GKMC came out, I was really turned off by his weirdo vocal tweaks. That 'Zeldar-for-real'-voice shit still drives me up the wall. That kind of shit works so much better to me with the production of this album. I wasn't a fan of King Kunta when it came out, but in context of the Funkadelic type vibe of the rest of the album, it comes together.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3105 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
also kendrick owes radiohead 7.4 million dollars for how much a dollar cost

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3106 on: March 21, 2015, 12:01:28 AM »

I've washed my hands, I've said my grace, what more do you want from me?  :tocry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3107 on: March 21, 2015, 12:31:12 AM »

I checked the liner notes and it's not even listed as an interpolation...given what happen to Robin Thicke and Pharrell that's a bad idea lol. You could argue it's not a sample or interpolation, just similar chords but still. Sounds rather similar.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #3108 on: March 21, 2015, 01:52:25 AM »
you're probably right, Kanye most likely pissed someone off. Still I'm surprised such a cac-classic like My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was snubbed.

My peer-reviewed cac data gathering and research indicates that the people who vote for grammies are mostly old ass caucasoids that are into stuff like The Beatles and Bruce Springsteen, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Cactasy is slanted toward the type of white person that stans for Radiohead, Animal Collective in the 00's, owns all apple products, and possibly played a glut of Sega and Nintendo-developed videogames in childhood and adolescent periods. I'd estimate this subgroup of democrat-voting but not too liberal to actually be a socialist cac to be anywhere between 17-28 years old at this point.

(Image removed from quote.)

Jesus christ get out of my head
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3109 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »

:dead

the GOAT rap personality of the last few years. Dude is just hilarious.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3110 on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
a childish gambino for every generation

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3111 on: March 22, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
This Breakfast Club interview is the best thing Dame Dash has done since Rocafella  :dead

The real Chatty Patty might see a revival at this rate  :neogaf

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3112 on: March 22, 2015, 02:20:32 PM »
yup. BTW doesn't this cement Lost Ones as one of the great diss tracks? It all makes sense when you view Dame's actions through the lens of that verse. He's been trying his hardest to match Hov as a businessman, all while trying to "make another Hov." At one point he was on the cusp of having Curren$y, Wiz Khalifa, Jay Electronica, Mos Def, and Smoke DZA on one label; hell he also had ties to Big KRIT. Not saying any of those dudes are Hov but clearly a label with those dudes would be successful. He fucked it all up with bad business acumen and a shitty personality.

Now he's out chea unable to pay his car note and can't see his kids because he can't pay child support. All while fronting like 100k isn't a lot of money to him.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3113 on: March 22, 2015, 05:25:04 PM »
No doubt that Dame is probably completely insufferable and Jay was reaching a point Dame couldn't keep up with, but the way he was ousted from Rocafella was pretty cold. I think that (and the Black Album) marked the end of 'stab you for leaking his record' Jay and the start of the shell of the rapper we have today

dkdk

« Reply #3114 on: March 22, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
never like to see another brother flounder so miserably but i have hated dame ever since this mofo bragged about never wearing the same pair of socks twice.

putting up w/ him for so long must've been an absolute drag.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3115 on: March 22, 2015, 07:08:27 PM »
I don't think Jay owes anyone shit, least of all Dame, but I think they had more of a personal relationship than just business partners. One he'd made his decision, Jay started letting Def Jam keep Dame out of the loop until it became clear that they he didn't have a future as part of Jays career. Just comes across as a slightly callous way of dealing with severing a relationship with someone who considers you their 'best friend', but that's business.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3116 on: March 22, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
To be fair tho that's how shit happens in business. When someone is about to be shitcanned nobody goes up to him and says "hey man we're gonna start changing your password access and stop inviting you to meetings. Just a heads up breh, and btw in a week you're going to be fired."

And let's not forget that Dame gave Cam a big promotion while Jay was out of town. Didn't run it past him or anything. Harlem niccas trying to pull a takeover. So Dame's hands aren't clean here.

hard to feel bad for a dude who acts like this, fam

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3117 on: March 22, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3118 on: March 22, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »
Oh I have no sympathies for Dame, just noting that Jay distancing himself from him 'til he gradually got pushed out instead of confronting him directly seems like a notable point in his transformation from 'street Jay-Z' to 'boardroom Jay-Z'. It's the kind of calculation that got him from where he was then to the brand he is today.

I'm honestly surprised that Dame has managed to keep up the facade of his moguldom for so long since then. Like, there's a reason Jay walked away from this dude, and the above video has been online for long enough for people to know better. The I remember when he scooped up Curren$y  thinking ':gurl god damnit'. When Blackrock was announced I started counting down the days til it imploded, and sure enough, it lasted what, less than a year? I wonder if/when people will finally stop giving him chances.

Cheddahz

« Reply #3119 on: March 23, 2015, 12:58:31 AM »
new earl sweatshirt album is out