Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 730347 times)

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #3420 on: June 29, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »
Hot garbage nah, but he's definitely overrated. Especially during the 00s backpack rap era. So many white dudes calling him top 5/a GOAT

:holeup

Nah, I meant in his acting career breh?
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3421 on: June 29, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Ice Cube is the definitely the most understated GOAT in rap after LL. Cube's definitely number one on my list, though.

See I think people sleep on Prime Busta Rhymes even more. He had a good 3 year period where he was spitting nothing but fucking fire. He just couldn't maintain it.
YMMV

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3422 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
I respect LL but it's hard for me to put him up high on my list. From a popularity perspective he was that dude in the 80s, but there were so many better rappers. Rakim, KRS, G Rap. I prefer their catalogs too. Kane was a better rapper too but I'll take LL's albums over his.

Cube :whew

I've been wanting to make this comparison for awhile: Cube's catalog gets knocked for the same reason Public Enemy's gets knocked. Basically two of their albums get a bunch of praise, and rightfully so, but people act like that was the end. Amerikka's Most Wanted and Death Certificate for Cube; It Takes a Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and Fear Of A Black Planet for PE. But...The Predator isn't a bad album. It's rather repetitive and not as good as Death Certificate but still...it's a good album. Likewise Apocalypse 91 isn't brought up much by PE fans, despite being a great album.

Haven't listened to Lethal Injection in ages but I don't remember it being horrible. Moral of the story: dude has two CLASSIC albums, another good album, and after that the output is middling to bad. He also had the best verses on NWA's first album, and wrote most of Easy's. Dude deserves to be on a GOAT list, basically. Dunno where I'd put him but he'd definitely be somewhere in my top 15.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3423 on: June 29, 2015, 01:47:40 PM »
I'm an album guy, which is weird for rap I guess but to me a great body of your work eclipses great guest appearances. Which is why Cube and Ghost are top 5 all time for me easily. Whereas Busta never had an album I love. Which is strange considering his ubiquity and popularity for a long time.

Well see that's the thing. He could never tie an entire album together. Which eventually caught up with him. But the love he was getting from his tracks in the clubs gave him a few extra chances to try to get it right. He never could though.
YMMV

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3424 on: June 29, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »
No one talking about MC Eiht's acting in Menace II Society. Worked for me :yeshrug

I like imagining his lines as improvisations :teehee

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #3425 on: June 29, 2015, 07:17:12 PM »

PlayDat

« Reply #3426 on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »
Only started going through Cube's discography relatively recently.  Lethal Injection is damn good.  Biggest misstep has to be Bop Gun though.  Shit is like thrice as long as it needs to be.  I'm assuming it's the same late 80s/early 90s-ism that gave us Something 2 Dance 2.

Yo I just found out literally a minute ago: Ice Cube and Del The Funky Homosapien are cousins :gladbron  He's also cousins with another dude named Kam who I never heard of until now.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3427 on: June 29, 2015, 10:54:19 PM »
I think When Disaster Strikes is a solid album, but it's quirky as shit and I agree with the notion that he really struggled to put together something cohesive in his prime. The mid-2000s run when he was really blatantly trying to make a 'classic' album with The Big Bangs/BOMB (lol) was depressing as fuck though, and his recent 'i only do features and now i'm rapping like a motorcycle' shtick ain't my bag.

Wrath, surely you are not saying Ice Cube influenced PE's politics, right?

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3428 on: June 29, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
Is Bow Down any good?

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3429 on: June 30, 2015, 12:28:32 AM »
https://m.

:yeshrug

He still brings it on occasion.
YMMV

Cheddahz

« Reply #3430 on: June 30, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
Can we discuss about how Vince Staples (probably) dropped the best hip hop album of the year?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3431 on: June 30, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »
Can we discuss about how Vince Staples (probably) dropped the best hip hop album of the year?

kendrick lamar dropped the best hip hop album of the year
a rachel dolezal classic
timeless
transcendant

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3432 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:38 PM »
I've got some things to say about Vince's album. Will wait a bit.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3433 on: July 01, 2015, 12:05:05 AM »
Norf Norf is the song The Clipse spent a decade trying to make.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3434 on: July 01, 2015, 05:16:13 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3435 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3436 on: July 05, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
This Adrian Younge nicca gotta go

8 tracks into 12 Reasons 2 and just like the first one, nothing has grabbed me. I probably won't finish this.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3437 on: July 05, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
(haven't heard the new album yet)
Dude fails on two levels IMO.

1. He makes bland retro music. Motown had arguably the greatest collection songwriters of the modern era working under one roof, pumping out amazing music. Amazing drums/break beats, beautiful strings, powerful horn sections...they literally had everything on lock. Meanwhile Younge's take on Motown basically revolves around boring ass keys, weak drums, and maybe some strings here or there. It just sounds unimaginative and like a very poor carbon copy. Have you guys heard his Delfonics album?

Very repetitive shit that isn't soulful at all. He tends to have a psychedelic sound instead of any soul or funk...but honestly he doesn't even do that interestingly.

2. You can't have bland live instrumentation in rap. You have to give a rapper something to rock over. He creates brooding, overly long compositions that have no soul, funk, no nothing. Again...bland shit. Even Supreme Clientele era Ghostface couldn't make that shit sound interesting...there are no pockets for a rapper.

Live instrumentation can work, obviously

But it has to be something that gives things moving. I can't think of a single Younge track that would sound dope live at a show. Think about that...

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3438 on: July 05, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
2. You can't have bland live instrumentation in rap.
Not aware of a lot of good live instrumentation rap (besides The Roots). A lot of samples and layered sounds in rap production are probably unplayable :yeshrug

Doesn't RZA do a combination of both, composing melodies and mixing it with samples?

Besides the Roots, there's this for live instrumentation:

It's OK, but any other examples?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3439 on: July 05, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3440 on: July 05, 2015, 07:06:57 PM »
In terms of live instrumentation The Coup comes to mind

The late 90s were full of dope live instrumentation in hip hop, largely due to Dilla/TheSoulquarians. Kendrick's album is largely live. A few tracks on MCHG are live as well iirc.

I liked Ghostface's 36 Seasons album with The Revelations. It sounds infinitely better than anything Younge has done.

Earl's album features live shit, Ratking incorporates it into their sound too.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3441 on: July 05, 2015, 07:13:19 PM »
someone hook me up the 320 of that staples

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3442 on: July 05, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
I know Dilla didn't automate a lot of his shit, instead playing/sequencing the samples live (like on an MPC), but were any of the samples themselves from live instrumentation?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3443 on: July 07, 2015, 02:02:37 AM »
Just want to take a moment to acknowledge that we are in the second golden age of hip hop. The last five years or so have really reached an apex of great material lately :rejoice

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #3444 on: July 07, 2015, 05:30:00 AM »
Just want to take a moment to acknowledge that we are in the second golden age of hip hop. The last five years or so have really reached an apex of great material lately :rejoice

Not being sarcastic when I say examples please.  Let me see what I've been missing.
YMMV

sarslip

« Reply #3445 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »
nah, i'd say 2015 has been stellar, but the entirety of the last five years?  nah, last year was super meh.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3446 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »

Not being sarcastic when I say examples please.  Let me see what I've been missing.

Not saying these are classics or anything, just some stuff I like off the top of my head. Tons more in my library, but you may not fuck with any of it :yeshrug

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Land of Da Phonk

Durag Dynasty - 360 Waves

Quelle Chris - Niccas Is Men

Denmark Vessey - Don't Drink the Kool Aid

Grandmilly - BVNDVNVZ II

Sean Leon - Narcissus - The Drowning of Ego

[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3447 on: July 07, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
anybody got Hell Can Wait in 320?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3449 on: July 08, 2015, 01:34:56 AM »
 :cac

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3450 on: July 08, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »
phh don't hit me with that shit, us whitefolk invented stealing black peoples shit for profit. ur piracy game sucks, on one of the most fuck white people records of recent times no less. drop the whopping 7 bucks on something that should be worth a full release price you bum

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3451 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:40 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3452 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »
phh don't hit me with that shit, us whitefolk invented stealing black peoples shit for profit. ur piracy game sucks, on one of the most fuck white people records of recent times no less. drop the whopping 7 bucks on something that should be worth a full release price you bum
hey shithead, i've paid for plenty of music. i'm actually going through hard financial times right now and you can suck cosby's dick bitch

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3453 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
Nevermind, I can't read :snoop
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PM by Mr. Nobody »

studyguy

« Reply #3454 on: July 09, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
Can someone explain to me just how it is that Tyga managed to get to where he is now. Gold Album feels like a poor man's Drake if that poor man had literally no other option. Dude's life seems to be that of a sitcom taking L's left and right.

Cheat on your underage girl with a trans model and say you were hacked brehs.
pause

sarslip

« Reply #3455 on: July 09, 2015, 01:47:38 PM »
im curious how that dog got into that roll of bubble wrap

studyguy

« Reply #3456 on: July 09, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »
im curious how that dog got into that roll of bubble wrap

Same way it got snacks.
pause

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #3457 on: July 09, 2015, 03:41:09 PM »
Nevermind, I can't read :snoop
I did the same thing :heh

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3458 on: July 11, 2015, 12:36:03 AM »
Can someone explain to me just how it is that Tyga managed to get to where he is now. Gold Album feels like a poor man's Drake if that poor man had literally no other option. Dude's life seems to be that of a sitcom taking L's left and right.

Cheat on your underage girl with a trans model and say you were hacked brehs.
transphobia is the only reason this is a thing

I'll put together some links and an earnest write u, p when I get a day off, though I don't at all expect anything that what I'm gonna post will convince you. Ultimately I'm grateful that in 2015 hip-hop is at an apex of bucking conventions after dealing with some of the most stringent elitism of any genre outside of metal nerds. Outside of that, the people sticking to the more 'conventional' approach to rap are also making amazing records, some of which can sit next to any 'classic' that's been released in the last decade or so.

The guy who wrote the 2015 summer anthem is one eyed dude from New Jersey. We truly live in a magical time.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #3459 on: July 13, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/13/50-cent-files-for-bankruptcy.html

wasn't this dude supposed to be sitting pretty with his vitamin water money? $5m for posting some sex tape, did he bankrupt himself trolling on wshh and twitter smh

:mindblown

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3460 on: July 13, 2015, 12:18:56 PM »
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/13/50-cent-files-for-bankruptcy.html

wasn't this dude supposed to be sitting pretty with his vitamin water money? $5m for posting some sex tape, did he bankrupt himself trolling on wshh and twitter smh

:mindblown

overexaggeration

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3461 on: July 13, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
Seems like an accounting gimmick to ensure he doesn't have to pay that chick 5mil. She'd have to hire a better lawyer to go after his actual money (businesses).

studyguy

« Reply #3462 on: July 13, 2015, 05:12:23 PM »
http://bossip.com/1190974/bossip-exclusive-photog-says-kendrick-lamar-stole-his-pic-to-promote-to-pimp-a-butterfly/

Whoops
 :heh

Wonder if Top Dawg really did use it without consent.
Seems like the dumbest shit in the world.

Dude is taking them to task too. 150k per usage
pause

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3463 on: July 13, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
Yea...that's going nowhere lol.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3464 on: July 14, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »

studyguy

« Reply #3465 on: July 14, 2015, 07:06:54 PM »
Yea...that's going nowhere lol.

http://i.imgur.com/mJOOwwS.png?1

lmao prob not but that doesn't mean they aren't gonna take an L in the meantime from that dude apparently.
pause

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3466 on: July 18, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3467 on: July 18, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3468 on: July 22, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
Temperature's Rising has got to be one of the only R&B featured songs I can tolerate :larry

Still Not A Player :preach

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3469 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3470 on: July 26, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
DS2 is fucking great. The Drake feature is the only real low point. Thought It Was A Drought, Serve the Base, Groupies, Rotation, Trap Niggaz, Percocet and Stripper Joint, this shit is stacked.

studyguy

« Reply #3471 on: July 28, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »
Twitter beef  ::)
pause

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3472 on: July 28, 2015, 01:57:08 PM »
Meek really looking more like a pop gangster, ala 50 Cent/Game/etc. All this shit on twitter and acting emotional...nah.

studyguy

« Reply #3473 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
Meanwhile @ Flex's
pause

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3474 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »
https://www.change.org/p/hip-hop-have-funk-flex-step-down-from-his-role-at-hot-97

Anyone watch Talib show his ass on twitter last night? Dude made Lupe look measured.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3475 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:59 PM »
https://www.change.org/p/hip-hop-have-funk-flex-step-down-from-his-role-at-hot-97

Anyone watch Talib show his ass on twitter last night? Dude made Lupe look measured.

you talking about the Bomani Jones dust up?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3476 on: July 29, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
Yep. I had a little shaudenfrued watching Talib's (I respond to tweets in parenthesis)@whoever: UR THE BEST shit, but it was pretty depressing for the most part. I completely get where the criticism comes from and it sucks seeing him be as deflective/old mannish as possible. Never would have guessed that he'd be more 'kids these days' than Mos/Yasiin in 2015

studyguy

« Reply #3477 on: July 29, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
Did you know that one Meek Mills gets bodied every 24hrs?
Do your part, #savemeekmills
pause

Beezy

« Reply #3478 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3479 on: July 30, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »

young duckworth tha gawd
:tocry