Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 730295 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #3480 on: July 31, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »

I don't know how Def Jam let Gunplay make this video let alone get a release date but I'm glad it happened. I'm glad this exists. I'm glad we live in a world where this could happen. God bless rap music.

studyguy

« Reply #3481 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
http://huzlers.com/the-undertaker-sues-meek-mill-for-using-his-wwe-theme-song-in-drake-diss-track/

If only this was true  :lol. Either way I thought Tyga had L of the year locked up. Meek seems to be gunning for top ranks tho.
pause

PlayDat

« Reply #3482 on: August 01, 2015, 05:56:18 AM »

I don't know how Def Jam let Gunplay make this video let alone get a release date but I'm glad it happened. I'm glad this exists. I'm glad we live in a world where this could happen. God bless rap music.

Entertaining vid.  Introduced me to Mickey Munday.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Munday, a step ahead of law enforcement, had held agents at bay by opening the gas tank of a cocaine-laden plane and pointing a flare gun at several 55-gallon gasoline drums nearby. Federal agents were noted as saying it was a standoff and Munday escaped.[12] Munday then fled into the Florida swamps that he knew very well and managed to elude capture by federal authorities until 1990, when he was finally arrested in Richmond, Virginia, by U.S. Marshals.[13]

:leon

Too bad to song is trash.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3483 on: August 01, 2015, 10:49:18 AM »
Yep. I had a little shaudenfrued watching Talib's (I respond to tweets in parenthesis)@whoever: UR THE BEST shit, but it was pretty depressing for the most part. I completely get where the criticism comes from and it sucks seeing him be as deflective/old mannish as possible. Never would have guessed that he'd be more 'kids these days' than Mos/Yasiin in 2015
Talib's been a bitch for a minute breh

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3484 on: August 01, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »

Entertaining vid.  Introduced me to Mickey Munday.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Munday, a step ahead of law enforcement, had held agents at bay by opening the gas tank of a cocaine-laden plane and pointing a flare gun at several 55-gallon gasoline drums nearby. Federal agents were noted as saying it was a standoff and Munday escaped.[12] Munday then fled into the Florida swamps that he knew very well and managed to elude capture by federal authorities until 1990, when he was finally arrested in Richmond, Virginia, by U.S. Marshals.[13]

:leon

Too bad to song is trash.

If you haven't definitely watch the Cocaine Cowboys documentary (iirc its on netflix). Munday is a big part of it.

PlayDat

« Reply #3485 on: August 01, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
If you haven't definitely watch the Cocaine Cowboys documentary (iirc its on netflix). Munday is a big part of it.

I'm surprised I never looked him up before considering how much rap music I listen to.  I'll probably stream it over Amazon since I don't have Netflix right now.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3486 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:29 AM »
7/31 album reviews
Gunplay:  :-\ / ???
Migos:   ;)8)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3487 on: August 03, 2015, 02:47:30 AM »
> Losing to Drake and possibly getting sued by the WWE for sampling 'taker's theme.
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Hi

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3488 on: August 05, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3489 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »

:whoo

Himu

« Reply #3490 on: August 08, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
RIP Sean price
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3491 on: August 08, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
RIP :fbm

One of my favorite street rappers, and one of the best at detailing exactly how he'd fuck you up without a weapon lol.

He had a daughter a few years ago too. Damn.

Himu

« Reply #3492 on: August 08, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
Brother died in his sleep :fbm
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3493 on: August 08, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
Died in his sleep, his wife woke up and found him dead.
:fbm

Himu

« Reply #3494 on: August 08, 2015, 02:35:16 PM »
Can't stop listening to Silento's Watch Me :brazilcry
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3495 on: August 08, 2015, 03:56:01 PM »
 :-\

ILikePizza

« Reply #3496 on: August 08, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »
Damn, dude was only 43.  Gonna be listening to Monkey Barz, Master P and Mic Tyson over the weekend.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3497 on: August 08, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
Crushed. Dude has been one of my favorites for such a long time.

PlayDat

« Reply #3498 on: August 08, 2015, 10:55:47 PM »
Holy fucking shit!  First time listening to him was in GTA 3.  Mic Tyson is easily one of my favorite albums of the last few years.  Funny enough I've been thinking of giving it another run though over the past few days.  I really should have gone deeper into his discography.

R.I.P!

EDIT:  God dammit.  I just remembered I'm pretty sure he has teenage kids.  Must be rough to lose a parent so young.

Himu

« Reply #3499 on: August 08, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »
That GtaIII song was dope
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3500 on: August 09, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »
Holy fucking shit!  First time listening to him was in GTA 3.  Mic Tyson is easily one of my favorite albums of the last few years.  Funny enough I've been thinking of giving it another run though over the past few days.  I really should have gone deeper into his discography.

R.I.P!

EDIT:  God dammit.  I just remembered I'm pretty sure he has teenage kids.  Must be rough to lose a parent so young.

He has a young daughter, who is hilariously also named Sean. He threw a show that doubled as a baby shower shortly before her birth. Dude was a riot.

Himu

« Reply #3501 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »

*breaks a leg*
IYKYK

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #3502 on: August 10, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »

*breaks a leg*

I swear to christ himself the next time I see slightly drunk white girls try to do this shit I'm gonna be in the criminal blotter.
YMMV

Himu

« Reply #3503 on: August 10, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
cutest video of the year
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3504 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »
Puffy's Finna Get Loose is a booty bouncer
IYKYK

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3505 on: August 13, 2015, 12:44:28 AM »

i request an emote of this pls
https://instagram.com/p/6Q5y73vKVC/

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3506 on: August 13, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »
Damn, just read about Sean Price :(

Himu

« Reply #3507 on: August 14, 2015, 01:33:42 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3508 on: August 15, 2015, 08:41:34 AM »
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2015/08/dear-ice-cube-your-misogyny-is-showing/

:hitler

"I have no problem with regular women, just bitches and hoes. It was a different time period!" sounds a lot like "I have no problem with black people, just nigggers. It was a different time!"
IYKYK

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3509 on: August 15, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
Sean Price's death still hasn't hit me yet

I won't believe it  :tocry

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3510 on: August 15, 2015, 11:41:08 AM »
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2015/08/dear-ice-cube-your-misogyny-is-showing/

:hitler

"I have no problem with regular women, just bitches and hoes. It was a different time period!" sounds a lot like "I have no problem with black people, just nigggers. It was a different time!"

I knew what the game was when Dre explained that the movie was about the group's "love for women" lol.

Are there women who are pieces of shit - gold diggers and other stuff? Sure. I know Cube wants to make it sound like he wasn't referring to all (black) women that way, but nearly all references to women on that album refer to them as hoes and bitches. What other conclusion is there to make than that NWA felt women little more than property that could be degraded. It's time for people to stop acting like NWA was just "rappers talking about their environment" and not "a group of suburban suckers convinced by a white guy to say as much ugly shit as possible to make money."

I've never really been into NWA and have no interest in seeing the film...however I'm an Ice Cube fan - or at least a fan of his early albums. Even on those first two solo albums he has nothing but ugly shit to say about women, mainly black women. But I still love Amerikkka's Most Wanted and Death Certificate.

Himu

« Reply #3511 on: August 15, 2015, 02:49:31 PM »
I'm conflicted. The article makes a good point and they are assholes. On the other hand, it's a mainstream movie that treats hip hop with legitimacy and is understanding of its inner frustrations.

Anyways, Janelle Monae is the GOAT.

You hear this?

She also did this.

http://thegrio.com/2015/08/15/janelle-monae-cut-off-while-sharing-message-about-black-lives-on-today/
http://flavorwire.com/532732/janelle-monae-led-a-150-person-march-against-police-brutality-through-north-philly
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3512 on: August 15, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
If you want to see the movie, go see it. I can't cosign boycotting this shit; if it looks like a fun popcorn flick to you, go ahead. Personally I have no interest in the movie.

brehs we gonna talk about how Monae went from futuristic robot to a Badu type? Dunno how I feel about this. I got tired of her last album tbh, felt rather bland and didn't have much of her personality (instead it felt like some type of oldies cover band fare). Now she's going super black. Including signing some band called Deep Cotton.... :neogaf

dunno brehs

Himu

« Reply #3513 on: August 15, 2015, 03:36:07 PM »
I didn't say anything about boycotting or making a statement. And I really plan on seeing it.

I have no problem with Janelle going Badu. I have a feeling she will change from album to album. Yoga isn't Badu-esque at all. Also, you're talking about her record label, not her actual music.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3514 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »
I read that the nwa movie was originally supposed to be an eazy-e biopic. fuck this shit, i still want the eazy biopic

Beezy

« Reply #3515 on: August 16, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
brehs we gonna talk about how Monae went from futuristic robot to a Badu type? Dunno how I feel about this. I got tired of her last album tbh, felt rather bland and didn't have much of her personality (instead it felt like some type of oldies cover band fare). Now she's going super black. Including signing some band called Deep Cotton.... :neogaf

dunno brehs
Deep Cotton has been a part of her crew for years now. They're not new. And she's going "super black" because of the shit that's been happening in this country for the past year. All she did was put out a song addressing this. I don't understand why this bothers you. She hasn't given up her usual style of music.

Himu

« Reply #3516 on: August 16, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »
Also, Electric Lady is better than Archandroid.

Anyways, I listened to the Ephus EP and I love it. I've been bumping Classic Man and Yoga already but I still like the rest enough to put it on constant rotation. :preach
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3517 on: August 16, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
I'm just not feeling the shift brehs. Yoga is weak, Classic Man is corny as fuck. I like the protest song though.

It seems like the image shift hasn't really resulted in an improved sound, and instead is just them doing what others are doing; Classic Man is a DJ Mustard rip off just like Fancy is, Yoga goes in a more modern direction without standing out.

:yeshrug

I might have to jump off the bandwagon unless things get better. If you're gonna have that Badu look I would hope for some interesting music. Organic, vibrant. Bass.

anyway....

FKA Twigs :noah

Himu

« Reply #3518 on: August 16, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
You're talking about a shift, when Ephus EP is for her label. It's an EP to show off her label, that's it. It's not a Janelle Monae album. It's called Wondaland presents the Ephus EP.

There is no shift in sound yet. I'm not understanding this Badu comparison at all. Yoga is not a Badu-esque song at all. :beli

I'm not about FKA Twigs. She's ok. LP1 is pretty boring. :yeshrug
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3519 on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
I didn't say Yoga was Badu like, I said Monae's new look is Badu like. Outside of Classic Man dude, her band now looks like Soulquarians. But the music doesn't sound anything like Soulquarians, it sounds pretty basic thus far.

Maybe I should wait and see what her album sounds like. 2015?

Himu

« Reply #3520 on: August 16, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
Who knows regarding a new LP?

And her band doesn't look like Soulquarians. :rofl Soulqarians wear street wear, while Erykah is all decked out in yellow and reds and greens, wearing rasta caps and kufis, and a huge afros. Janelle's people dress up in suits and in formal wear.

versus

Anyways, I like Classic Man. I don't think it's cheesy at all and the beat is dope.

Boy you must be trolling :lol

In any case, so far this year Weeknd is (surprisingly) winning anyways. He needs to stay more consistent. Going from Kissland (:trash) to his current output has me going :leon

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3521 on: August 16, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »
Anyways, why wasn't Planet Apes posted?

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3522 on: August 16, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
whatever I DON'T LIKE IT
:tocry

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #3523 on: August 16, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
Monae is corny

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3524 on: August 16, 2015, 04:28:34 PM »
Did you ever see this Himu?

Himu

« Reply #3525 on: August 16, 2015, 04:41:28 PM »
holy fuck this dude
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3526 on: August 17, 2015, 02:36:27 AM »
I've been listening to that song and Classic Man on repeat all day. Go to the store? Time to bump Jidenna. Go hit the bags? Jidenna time. Going for a drive? JIDENNA. Earlier this year when Classic Man first came out I was obsessed with it, but now I'm back on the train.

I still think Classic Man video is the music video of the year: portrays black people in a positive light. Stresses education, well dressed formal attire, shows black men and women from all sorts of shades from light to dark - which is a rare thing in favor of light skinned black women, shows community unity, AND black folks having fun. It comes off as honest and legitimate and not fake-y, doesn't bash women, while still having a huge air of swagger. Jidenna himself has a tremendous sense of presence. I want more of him right now.

He's also sexy as fuck.

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3527 on: August 17, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »

SZA :noah I need to hear that track in full brehs. It's on the album.

the actual song tho...chorus is trash but overall it's not bad

Syph

« Reply #3528 on: August 20, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »
That awkward moment when I try and make a point and get slapped with a 2 month ban for a reason that implies I had a back and forth in a thread I posted in once lol (albeit less than eloquently perhaps)
goddamn im gonna miss so many releases now FUCK
such is life

it's k, im sure Jay Rock's album will still be in limbo when I get back lol
XO

Syph

« Reply #3529 on: August 20, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
fuck a double post

Future - Where Ya At ft. Drake

Future reppin that XO jacket in a song with Drake lol
XO

studyguy

« Reply #3530 on: August 21, 2015, 01:30:06 PM »
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/08/straight-outta-compton-sequel-will-focus-on-tupac-and-snoop-dogg/

Follow up to Straight Outta Compton.
Rap game cinematic universe is real, we marvel now
pause

Syph

« Reply #3531 on: August 21, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
new weeknd leaked
whew
XO

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3532 on: August 21, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
I'll be buying the Weeknd's album. Really glad to see him winning, and he provided me with more than enough dope free music to earn my dough.

Whereas I probably won't be buying Jay Rock's album due to the TDE fuckery.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3533 on: August 21, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »
Who owns the Death Row catalog now? Didn't it get auctioned off to some Bork ass publishing house a few years back?

Syph

« Reply #3534 on: August 22, 2015, 04:14:52 AM »
I'll be buying the Weeknd's album. Really glad to see him winning, and he provided me with more than enough dope free music to earn my dough.

Whereas I probably won't be buying Jay Rock's album due to the TDE fuckery.
Exactly how I feel. The new album is definitely geared towards a more mainstream audience, but like you said, dude's given us so much great music for free that I can live with that. That said, there are still some standouts in addition to the songs previously heard.
As for Jay Rock...I'm on the fence still, if it comes out in the next month then maybe
XO

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3535 on: August 22, 2015, 04:17:49 AM »
Acquainted is so good. He needs to cut an all illangelo tape or something between now and his next album.

:lawd

Syph

« Reply #3536 on: August 22, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »
Acquainted is so good. He needs to cut an all illangelo tape or something between now and his next album.

:lawd
Well apparently there was an entire album with Doc that he scrapped...
I'm fine if he needs to win commercially with this album if he goes back to his old production for next album
or hnnnng mixtape in between

also Prisoner
whew
and Angel
XO

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #3537 on: August 22, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
Shameless the other track that's grabbing me. Might even like it more than Acquainted.

Syph

« Reply #3538 on: August 24, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »
XO

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #3539 on: August 24, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Feeling the same way about BBTM that I did about kissland

There's definitely some really weak stuff but it also has some of his best songs to date imo