Author Topic: Borecast 18: Game Hype, Borderlands, Soul Calibur PSP, iPhone Games, Mailbag  (Read 4629 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
direct link - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast18.mp3

We settle into our new regular posting day and talk about game hype, digital distribution, bad game writing, iPhone games, our Playlist, then respond to your comments and mail!

GAME HYPE

We discuss a few of the Fall 2009 games, the times we've been burned by falling for hype in the past, with sidetracks into digital distribution and why co-op multiplayer > versus multiplayer.  Games discussed include Borderlands, Modern Warfare 2, the Halo series, LittleBigPlanet, GTAIV, Shenmue, Uncharted, Hellgate: London, The Saboteur, and...Jaws.

THE PLAYLIST

(35:09)  Soul Calibur PSP, and PSP online

(47:50) Disgaea 2 PSP, and the dark secret truth about Digital Distribution

(56:40) inFamous, and bad game writing

(1:01:48)  wrapping up Batman: Arkham Asylum and Wolfenstein

(1:08:42)  Wolfenstein RPG and Wolf3D for iPhone

LISTENER MAIL

(1:14:08) Collecting, a correction, and a Furry challenge!

Talk to you next Tuesday!
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
THE POWER HOUR begins!
PSP

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
I wish I had time to listen to this (or any podcast.)

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
When do the Uncharted spoilers end? I just got the game today  :lol
jon

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Thanks, Borecast crew!

I think it's a good idea for the show to split into two different segments.  I usually listen to the whole show but sometimes there are some pop culture topics that I don't care much about. 

When it comes to the tech and game stuff, I listen to all of it.  It's basically my go-to podcast for gaming related stuff since 1UP has gotten way too meta with their discussions. 

Btw, how well exactly does DMC4 run on your Asus laptops?  Prole had mentioned that it ran really well but he wasn't specific.

Can either of you please run the bench once w/max settings + 4xAA at the native resolution?   

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
it runs a pretty solid 70fps on the bench, on average (max settings, no AA) -- dips to 60 and slightly below when there's a lot of alpha.
duc

OptimoPeach

Keep em coming

When do the Uncharted spoilers end? I just got the game today  :lol
lol, video game spoilers
hi5

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Pretty good, but now I'm conflicted- Borderlands wasn't on my radar previously but after hearing you guys talk about it and reading up on the game, it sounds awesome.  But it comes out the same day as Fallout 3 GOTY.  I can't possibly be the cheapest man alive and buy TWO $60 games on the same day.
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
pc version is 50, probably cheaper if you preorder, might come with a BB gift card too
sup

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
Re: Borecast 18: Game Hype, Borderlands, Soul Calibur PSP, iPhone Games, Mailbag
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 08:55:02 PM »
I fully intend on doing the Furcadia challenge, btw.  My mouse is shitting out anyway! 

Kevin, what part of Infamous are you at?  And what did you think the spoiler was? (PM or Spoiler Tag)  I finished the game on evil a few days ago, and really liked it.  I liked it enough to play through on good, which I usually never do.  So far, I'm liking good a TON more than I was evil.  It really does make a big difference.
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Borecast 18: Game Hype, Borderlands, Soul Calibur PSP, iPhone Games, Mailbag
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »
only a few missions into infamous, but it's pretty obvious that

spoiler (click to show/hide)
your fat redneck buddy is eventually going to turn on you
[close]
sup

Smooth Groove

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »
it runs a pretty solid 70fps on the bench, on average (max settings, no AA) -- dips to 60 and slightly below when there's a lot of alpha.

Thanks.  Will you be doing a review of the Zune HD in the next show or so? 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
Right off the bat, I agree with anticipation of a game and following its process from hype to release really does sap your enjoyment of the game.
:9

tehjaybo

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »
only a few missions into infamous, but it's pretty obvious that

your fat redneck buddy is eventually going to turn on you
[close]

Actually, no.  But the twist is preeeetty hardcore what the fuck worthy.
[close]

ACtually, I take that back.  He KIND of does, but not really.  It's complicated.
[close]
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
i liked it up until then
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
no i didn't

i felt that sequence was frustrating and went on way too long, and i also didn't like the ending

i liked most of it, and i plan on playing the sequel, which looks to have some great set pieces
sup

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 10:42:28 PM »
now downloading furcadia :smug

*edit* holy shit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_furry_role-playing_games :lol
うぐう

tehjaybo

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »

*edit* holy shit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_furry_role-playing_games :lol

Already submitted my experience.  :smug

Jesus christ help me. 

HEY ARBS, wanna Furcadia together?   :-*
HURR

• •••
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 10:49:28 PM »

little help?

sure tehjaybo, let's fuck around, wanna see how much of this sick shit I can stomach
うぐう

Smooth Groove

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »
Uncharted's dialogue makes me cringe whenever I play it.  It's hard to believe that the lady who wrote them is supposed to be a professional writer. 

Did you guys talk about the MGS series as well?  No discussion about bad game writing should go without MGS.

Here are some gems that I can remember:

MGS3: President to Snake in the ending, "You are above even the Boss.  I name you Big Boss." 

MGS4: Naomi to Snake,"If you won't be a prisoner of fate.  Go, fulfilly your destiny."

:rofl

• •••
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »
yeah I'm over it, no boner button = BORING

うぐう

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 12:02:20 AM »

Is this where it all began? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%26_Other_Strangeness

The initial edition of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness was published with a section detailing a comprehensive list of mental illnesses that players could adopt for their characters, including an extensive list of sexual deviations.
©@©™

Smooth Groove

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »
Just finished listening to the first two thirds of the show.  Good show so far. 

I like how you guys bring stuff about the good ol' days of gaming into the discussion of new games. 

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 02:10:26 AM »
This is the program you guys asked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhoc_party

Makes you play adhoc PSP games infastructure via your PS3, no extra hardware needed (just a ps3 with wifi connected to the net)

The PlayStation 3 must be connected to the Internet with a broadband network (wired) connection since the wireless connection is used as a server for the PlayStation Portable. Another constraint is the PlayStation Portable user must remain close to the PlayStation 3 so the PS3 to PSP wi-fi connection is still active during ad hoc playtime.

The PSP to PSP ad hoc connection is replaced by a PSP to PS3 ad hoc connection to allow online gaming on a global scale through the PlayStation Network enabled PlayStation 3. It allows advanced online multiplayer functions on the PlayStation Portable such as voice chat using the PlayStation 3 official bluetooth headset or the PlayStation Eye webcam's microphone. Text chat, known as "lobby chat", is also possible within public ("Free") rooms and private ("Password") rooms. The PlayStation 3 official Wireless Keypad is also supported, however, users must press the Enter key to begin typing.

list of games that work via GAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341216

Only available in japan, People have asked for an english version but Sony hasn't said shit.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:17:47 AM by Purple Filth »