Author Topic: Borecast 20: The Game/Art Loop, Raiden IV, Williams Pinball, Dirt 2, Furcadia  (Read 3649 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
direct link - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast20.mp3

After a delay due to technical issues (we apologize to all five of you), The Borecast returns to beat a dead horse, play some games - and, speaking of beating and horses, a listener gets down with the furries for some hot Furcadia action.

SEGMENT ONE: WE HAD TO GET TO IT SOONER OR LATER

Doug and Kevin run out of topic ideas and out of desperation finally tackle the infinitely looping podcast discussion topic "Are games art?" Games discussed include The Path, Braid, Flower, Flow, Blueberry Garden, the Team Ico games, LocoRoco, LittleBigPlanet, and more. Doug also installs and plays a game which literally eats your PC, Lose/Lose.

If you've got the stones, you can download Lose/Lose here: http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/

SEGMENT TWO: THE PLAYLIST & LISTENER MAIL

(42:00) Darkest of Days - screw you, it's fun.
(50:00) Halo 3: ODST
(53:30) Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
(57:45) Raiden IV
(1:04:30) Dirt 2

Listener mail notes:

NEOGAF thread link for PSP games that work via Adhoc Party - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341216

Direct2Drive 5th anniversary sale (50 games for $5 each) - http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

EPILOGUE: WELCOME TO TEHJAYBO'S NIGHTMARE

(1:15:30) Regular listener Tehjaybo sent us an audio diary of his adventures in Furcadia, the MMO for furries. Prepare to shudder.

Screenshots from Sho Nuff and Tehjaybo's creepy outings (click for full-size)

sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
So Furcadia is basically Ultima Online but with furries?
dog

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I will never play it to find out, but I'm sure Tehjaybo can play some more to find out!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375771
sup

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
I will never play it to find out, but I'm sure Tehjaybo can play some more to find out!

:-\
HURR

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Eel droppin SuicideGirls  :lol
jon

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Thanks for taking one for the team Tehjaybo!
©ZH

Robo

So Furcadia is basically Ultima Online but with furries?

Can you chop up furries and decorate your home with their severed limbs and entrails?  That doesn't sound so bad.
obo

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
About the Art discussion, I also find that videogames as a medium doesn't take traditional forms of art well. When I think of art, I think of a specific study or technique being used for a medium with or without a message. Once you go beyond that to mixing mediums it becomes harder and harder to keep the quality even between the two and may not feel as focused.

With that said, I've found some of the more poignant and engulfing games to be the simplest ones. And these games put emphasis on the game world and ambiance (lighting, music, world sounds... basically playing to the strengths of what this medium can offer).

It seems as though the more the developer tries to create a game that they want to be taken as "art" the more they try to ape other mediums (mainly movies). If they played more to the strengths and realize the weaknesses of videogames as a medium, the closer they can attain a certain level of "art" with their work.
:9

tehjaybo

No matter how many showers I've taken, I can't scrub the images out of my head.
HURR

Kestastrophe

:bow TehJaybo

That segment turned out much better than I was expecting.
jon

tehjaybo

Hopefully I didn't sound like a total hick.   :lol
HURR

Kestastrophe

Nope. I thought it was pretty good and I liked it much more than Nick's film reviews.
jon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i didn't edit a single second out of it, either
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
no worries, we know you're out there!

was sorry to hear of your loss, hope things are getting better for you
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i had more fun playing darkest of days than i did playing halo odst
sup

tehjaybo

I'm loving ODST at the moment.  Apparently a lot of the higher ups at my company play, and I just got included.  I get to rock some of the Guatemala and Lex guys.  YESS.
HURR

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
darkest of days is awesomely bad in a very entertaining and hilarious way, i laughed every time the chasers would swarm around a dude and i'd set them off - then he'd just collapse in a limp pile of wonky-ass physics

halo is not a bad game at all, it is just sort of "there"  - it has the production values and the mood nailed down, it just didn't grab me
sup

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
A games as art discussion?  I am sure you guys won't let us down on this.

I also look forward to the DiRT 2 discussion since nobody on earth seems to be playing it.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
hahahaha, i just listened to tehjaybo's bit -- that was pretty daring of you, dude! also PM ME YOUR ADDRESS
duc

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
When will we get a Zune HD review?

Also, Prole, you got any suggestions for the Dirt 2 contest?  Eel said that he'll put it on the Borecast. 

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Prole should also have to do a macbook air review.  :smug
yar

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
perhaps i will!
duc

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Awesome contribution tehjaybo!
You can hear you put effort in your storytelling.
brb

tehjaybo

Awesome contribution tehjaybo!
You can hear you put effort in your storytelling.

:-[  Thanks!  I'm told I have a voice (and face) for radio.  It just carries over to podcasts well.

You know, I'd be interested in doing other parts later on....    :-*
HURR