Author Topic: "Those Damn Yankees!" The Official 'Bore MLB 2009 Postseason Thread  (Read 16400 times)

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
Re: "Those Skankees!" The Official 'Bore MLB 2009 Postseason Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »
 :bow JEETUH :bow2
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:37:54 AM by Bocsius »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: "Those Damn Yankees!" The Official 'Bore MLB 2009 Postseason Thread
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
:piss Derek Jeter :piss2

I am pretty sure I made him cry one time at Camden Yards.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »
Whatever, dude.  The Braves were 2 wins away from really cementing themselves as the team of the 90's in the 96 Series and it all fell the fuck apart against these assholes.  Fuck the fucking Yankees, fuck them with great vengeance and furious anger I say.
yar

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:04 AM »
It got deleted from the Wikipedia article, but it said earlier:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Derek Jeter won the American League award in 2009, despite trailing Joe Mauer in every Triple Crown statistical category, as well as On-base percentage and Slugging percentage.
AMC

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
Re: "Those Yankees!" The Official 'Bore MLB 2009 Postseason Thread
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:52 AM »
Yeah, the Braves took the first two at Yankee Stadium, then proceeded to drop the next four.

So awesome.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2009, 12:18:14 AM »
It got deleted from the Wikipedia article, but it said earlier:

Quote from: Wikipedia
Derek Jeter won the American League award in 2009, despite trailing Joe Mauer in every Triple Crown statistical category, as well as On-base percentage and Slugging percentage.

What that doesn't tell you is that Jeter leads Mauer by a good country mile in grit, hustle, heart and intangibles.

Boscius- sometimes in October I will still wake up at night screaming Leyritz's name.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »
I seriously want the entire Yankees squad to catch Ebola and then die in a gasoline fire as they bleed out.
PSP

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »
Boscius- sometimes in October I will still wake up at night screaming Leyritz's name.

True story: that series was when I started rooting for the Yankees. As a Dodger fan and a general hater of the "home team," (central NC, but Atlanta is the closest team and there are a lot of Braves fans in the area), I really hated the Braves. I didn't know it before then, but it turns out my dad is a Yankees fan, too. That series brought some rare sports bonding (since we don't pull for the same team in any other sport).

Yankees beating the Braves again in 99 was doubly sweet.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
If there's one thing worse than obnoxious instate Yankees fans, it's out-of-state Yankees fans. What, you just had to root for the worst team in all of baseball for what reason?
PSP

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2009, 12:27:21 AM »
Because they were playing the evil Braves. I pulled for the Yankees and, for some reason, it stuck. I never had that attachment with the other teams that beat the Braves in the playoffs. *snicker*

Hollywood

« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2009, 12:27:51 AM »
If there's one thing worse than obnoxious instate Yankees fans, it's out-of-state Yankees fans. What, you just had to root for the worst team in all of baseball for what reason?

It's called a bandwagon. Same reason Cubs fans are everywhere because they saw them on WGN one day. Or Lakers fans arose because Kobe has a cool jersey.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
Bandwagon fans. :yuck
PSP

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »
I won't even attempt to deny any bandwagon charge. How can I? I didn't start rooting for them until they were in the series that year. But, again, that wasn't the reason I rooted for them. It was who they were playing. I can't explain how it stuck, however, except to say that it might have something to do with the rematch in 99 and the way baseball is covered in general (Yanks vs. the Sox is the story, everyone else can buzz off, etc.) every year.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:37:13 AM by Bocsius »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:37 AM »
I won't even attempt to deny any bandwagon charge. How can I? I didn't start rooting for them until they were in the world series that year. But, again, that wasn't the reason I rooted for them. It was who they were playing. I can't explain how it stuck, however, except to say that it might have something to do with the rematch in 99 and the way baseball is covered in general (Yanks vs. the Sox is the story, everyone else can buzz off, etc.) every year.

Maybe the fact that they won 4 out of 5 World Series starting that year.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2009, 12:35:03 AM »
:lol
PSP

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2009, 12:37:50 AM »
Well, the Blue Jays beat the Braves and won two straight world titles, I didn't start pulling for them. I never was a great fan of Kirby Puckett and the Twins either. Now, certainly the worst team ever is the Cleveland Indians. (1995 :()

I will say 1996 was the first time I really even watched the series since the Dodgers were in it in 1988 (and, before anyone asks, I was rooting for the Dodgers before that series). I wasn't really a huge fan of baseball.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:36:36 AM by Bocsius »

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2009, 12:40:46 AM »
I have one other fan genesis story I can tell. I became a 49ers fan when I was 7. Super Bowl XIX, my neighbors were over at my house to watch the game. We had take out from a local restaurant, they had miniature 49er and Dolphin helmets. I liked the 49er helmet better so I took one of those and left the Dolphin helmets for the other kids. I've been a 49ers fan ever since.

It worked out splendidly for the next decade. Not so much since then.

Himu

« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »
I don't care who wins. Neither is my home team, the Houston Lastros :american
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2009, 01:26:46 AM »
The Astros legacy lives on in Brad Lidge's blown save.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2009, 02:10:58 AM »

I know a young man who roots for the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, Notre Dame football, and Duke basketball.  He claims to root for Carolina in the NHL, but he couldn't name three Hurricanes even after I spotted him Katrina.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2009, 02:11:57 AM »
Drumroll. :lol

If that person is real, I question why you would keep such a person as an acquaintance.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2009, 02:22:30 AM »
It's all true, but more understandable when you realize he's 18 or 19 and pretty dumb.

It's okay to attach to a non-local team before you reach a certain age (I had flings with the Bonds/Bonilla/Van Slyke Pirates and the Warren Moon Oilers as a kid), but certain franchises (Yankees, Lakers, Cubs) should be off limits unless you've got family history.

I mean, really.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Secretly part of me hopes the Yankees will win because they're more fun to root against as an evil empire than as perennial underachievers, and I'm constructing an elaborate fantasy where the Orioles' pitchers all develop and take the AL East two or three years from now.  When the Yankees win and I have to deal with the insufferable fans, I'll completely regret this.
[close]

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2009, 02:41:04 AM »
I can get behind that fantasy. I refuse to step foot into Camden Yards until Peter Angelos is no longer the owner, but I still do root for the Birds. Until then, I will suffer in my NL ghetto.
PSP

pollo

« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:44 AM »
It's all true, but more understandable when you realize he's 18 or 19 and pretty dumb.

It's okay to attach to a non-local team before you reach a certain age (I had flings with the Bonds/Bonilla/Van Slyke Pirates and the Warren Moon Oilers as a kid), but certain franchises (Yankees, Lakers, Cubs) should be off limits unless you've got family history.

I mean, really.

Secretly part of me hopes the Yankees will win because they're more fun to root against as an evil empire than as perennial underachievers, and I'm constructing an elaborate fantasy where the Orioles' pitchers all develop and take the AL East two or three years from now.  When the Yankees win and I have to deal with the insufferable fans, I'll completely regret this.
[close]

You'll have to do better than that overrated piece of excrement Mastuz. He's horrible.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2009, 03:29:16 AM »
What type of kid roots for ND unless he has a vested interest in the school?  :lol

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2009, 03:42:01 AM »
Man, is game five going to be in Philly? Watch there be an epic riot.

Edit: holy shit is the MLB website the worse website ever made? tiling an ad as a border? Really?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:46:29 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

pollo

« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »

True story: that series was when I started rooting for the Yankees. As a Dodger fan and a general hater of the "home team," (central NC, but Atlanta is the closest team and there are a lot of Braves fans in the area), I really hated the Braves. I didn't know it before then, but it turns out my dad is a Yankees fan, too. That series brought some rare sports bonding (since we don't pull for the same team in any other sport).

Yankees beating the Braves again in 99 was doubly sweet.

This story is almost as queer as why that cunt Red Scarlet roots for the Red Sox.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »
What type of kid roots for ND unless he has a vested interest in the school?  :lol

I dunno, probably the same kind of person who roots for Michigan but doesn't go there.  :smug
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »

I dunno, probably the same kind of person who roots for Michigan but doesn't go there.  :smug

I'll be bumping this thread soon :smug

« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »

I love my Seattle teams, even if they suck. The only sports team that I've jumped on board with recently is Nebraska football, since my wife's family is from there and love the Huskers.

We've had a serious Red Sox bandwagon infestation in the area the last few years... it's awful.
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »
I always dug the Mariners growing up - not as a fan - but I thought they were pretty cool. Nintendo, Ken Griffey Jr. and all that jazz. The Mariners, the Twins, the A's and the Blue Jays are the only teams in the AL that I respect other than the Orioles.
PSP

« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
I'll cheer for any team playing the Yankees or Red Sox. When those two play each other, I'm really torn. I dislike the Yankees' business practices, but I hate Red Sox fans with a passion...
野球

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »
Imagine living in the hornets nest, distant, where girls wear pink Red Sox hats and have giant posters of Jason Varitek

« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »
Imagine living in the hornets nest, distant, where girls wear pink Red Sox hats and have giant posters of Jason Varitek

They do that out here in SEATTLE. It makes sense in Boston, but Seattle??!?  ::)
野球

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »
Jesus, I thought the overt female fandom thing was more of a local phenomenon. That is crazy, all the way on the west coast :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Every time I see a Red Sox "dreamy" ball player, I imagine Evil Ash from Army of Darkness taking a steel torch to their face and saying, "I'll spoil those good looks of yours!"
PSP

« Reply #216 on: November 02, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »
Is there a Canadian singing our national anthem?

???
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »
isn't it ironic
AMC

« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
You know I really do think...
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2009, 08:04:42 PM »
I'm a Met fan, but considering I hate Philly sports fans and I'm currently trying to bone a big Yankee fan, I have to root for them in the series.
^_^

« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2009, 08:06:22 PM »
I'm a Met fan, but considering I hate Philly sports fans and I'm currently trying to bone a big Yankee fan, I have to root for them in the series.

If you have to root for the Yanks, she better let you fuck her in the ass.
野球

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:13 PM »
 :bow A-Rod first inning RBI double :bow2

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
Chase Freaking Utley

Tune in for Game 6, Wednesday night in New York
[close]

« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
Dear Chase,

I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you someday. It would be great to have a catch. I know I can’t throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed by my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about. And more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did. And I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I’m sure our relationship would be a real home run!
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2009, 08:32:41 PM »
:lol

Utley is seriously one of the top 3 players in baseball, along with Pujols and Mauer.
AMC

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
Dear Chase,

I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you someday. It would be great to have a catch. I know I can’t throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed by my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about. And more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did. And I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I’m sure our relationship would be a real home run!

:rofl :rofl :rofl
PSP

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
Seriously, though, going back to the first inning when Burnett hit Victorino.

I always assumed the hand was part of the bat.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
Short rest. :(

Burnett is chased in the 3rd, giving up 2 runs in the inning, 2 on, nobody out. 5 runs total.

Hindsight being 20/20, but he could have had extra rest if he was held for game 6 and then Pettite could have gone in 7 with Sabathia available for middle relief. Hughes could have gone tonight as the starter, couldn't have been any worse.

« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »
Lee just got a hit. Yeah, the Yanks aren't wrapping this up tonight. :lol

edit: Victorino: "It's not broken, I'm fine."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:23:56 PM by distantmantra »
野球

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »
I was listening to the local radio (I live in Mass) and the DJ said that there's a rumor that A Rod has his likeness painted as paintings hanging over his bed as a Centaur... :lol

Edit: I looked it up just now and apparently an ex girlfriend is making this account :lol

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebritynews/news/ex-alex-rodriguez-had-portraits-of-himself-as-a-centaur-over-his-bed-20093010
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:31:00 PM by BlueTsunami »

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »
chase friggin utley :gloomy

edit: chin up, Howard. You set a record.  :smug

« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »
Raaauuuull!!!!!!
野球

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
Now Tex gets a hit.

And A-Rod got a 2 run double. 8-4, but there's not much offense left in the lineup until they get back around to the top of the order.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »
So awesome that right after Utley ties the WS record for HR in a series...Howard ties the record for Ks.
AMC

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Utley is making a run for series MVP regardless of the outcome.

It is interesting, though, that all but one of the Philly HRs in the series so far have been solo shots.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »
I can't believe Hughes got somebody out. :o

Posada, M.atsui, and Jete.r up in the ninth.

This game is why I was so pessimistic last night. 3-1 is great, but when everyone is going on short rest the remainder of the series, there's little room for error. Burnett didn't have it tonight. Who's to say Pettite will be any better? And then CC going on short rest the second start in a row for a potential game 7?

I don't like it. I would have rather conceded this game and had a rested staff to get one at home. And if by some chance the stand-in pitched well tonight, excellent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:47:49 AM by Bocsius »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2009, 11:15:24 PM »
Phillies bullpen is sooooooo bad.
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »
These bullpen debacles are the averaging out of last year.
AMC

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2009, 11:18:15 PM »
2 on, nobody out for Jete.r.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:47:08 AM by Bocsius »

« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2009, 11:20:33 PM »
See ya Wednesday night, folks.
野球