Author Topic: Borecast 22: Horror Games, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Demon Souls, Metroid Prime  (Read 7120 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast22.mp3

Doug and Kevin kick off the Halloween season with some talk about horror games, discuss some current (and underrated) games we've been playing, read and respond to your comments, and slime it up at the end with a tough Either/Or!  Also, Citizen Kane and furries.  Again with the furries.  What's wrong with you people?

Segment One:  Horror Games

A lengthy discussion about what makes a game scary, suggest some of our favorites which you may have overlooked, and ponder where the genre might go in the future.

Segment Two:  Playlist, Listener Comments, Either/Or

Playlist

(45:21)  A shameful confession

(49:45)  Metroid Prime Trilogy

(1:00:15) Darkest of Days update - screw you, it's still good.  And funny.

(1:04:05) Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

(1:08:50) Demon Souls

(1:13:00)  Doug's Batman impressions

Listener Comments

(1:15:33)  We pound the final nail in our "Games vs. Art" discussion. 

CONTEST

(1:51:40)  Win a copy of Dirt 2 for PC by telling us "Why PC gaming will never die."

Either/Or

(1:54:30)  D-List debauchery.

We'll talk to you again next week...around the same day, sort of!

sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
why pc gaming will never die :lol
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I feel like you guys are trolling me. :lol

[REC] was indeed Spanish, Kevin.
PSP

Oblivion

Dirt 2?  :yuck

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
I think you mean: DiRT 2 :bow2

Horror games discussion? :hyper

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Realms of the Haunting is the best horror game ever.

©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I feel like you guys are trolling me. :lol

not at all, i'm just kind of over the shaky cam style

i do want to see paranormal activity, though
sup

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
Not really legit spooky or anything, but a great set of horror games I enjoyed back in the day were Shadowgate and The Uninvited. We had Shadowgate on the NES when I was a kid and the tense music that played when you were almost out of torchlight scared me enough to shut off the console thirty seconds into it. Every damn time. Pretty funny looking back, but nothing else game-wise spooked me out as much as pixel-art Death and all the weird chiptune ditties that played throughout the game.

うぐう

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches Scratches
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
if you ever listened to the show, you'd know that we specifically talked about scratches because of you and joe molotov
sup

Akala

• Easy Victor
pretty good. was wondering why prole wasn't in the demon's souls thread when the game is right up his alley.

Eel! Buy/rent Demon's Souls! I've talked people I thought would hate the game into buying it and they all love it.  :o

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
if you ever listened to the show, you'd know that we specifically talked about scratches because of you and joe molotov

well i certainly aint listening to it if you trash it.
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual

well i certainly aint listening to it if you trash it.

we do not trash it in any way
sup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
CAUSE ITS AMAZING dear god that closet scene
fat

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
Call of Cthulhu had some of the most awesome moments ever - I remember being chased by heaps of guys, getting shot, limping more and more trying to get away because I couldn't find cover to heal myself.  It was amazingly intense.

Haunting Ground was also awesome, hell, I even liked Clock Tower 3.

Condemned is one of the best this gen and also liked Condemned 2 a lot, but I realise I'm in the minority.  I didn't get bothered by the story.  The combat was awesome on hard.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I remember playing a Clock Tower on the Sega Saturn? Or was it D2? This was when I was like 12 or 13. What a weird fucking game.
:9

Akala

• Easy Victor
D was on Saturn, D2 on DC. Can't remember what the first Clock Tower was on.

I remember playing D. If you could save, we never figured it out.  :lol

I had a friend who would freak the fuck out at that point when you examine a portrait and it gets swirly and giggles. It was one of the things I would have liked to exploit in our friendship, but getting to that point to play on a whim was impractical at best.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Nobody mentioned Dead Space? :-\

Bildi, as Lovecraft fan, I've always wanted to check out Call of Cthulhu, but I heard it was awful. Is it worth buying for a few bucks used for the Xbox?
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
we were trying to steer away from the more obvious ones

we missed the fatal frame series, too

sup

Akala

• Easy Victor
Bildi, as Lovecraft fan, I've always wanted to check out Call of Cthulhu, but I heard it was awful. Is it worth buying for a few bucks used for the Xbox?

For the shadow over innsmouth hotel setpiece alone.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
game goes to hell a little over halfway, but the beginning is definitely worth playing.
[close]

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
I'm still going to start a pool on which one of you breaks and winds up with a PSP Go first.
fek

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
NEVER
sup

drew

• sy
I'm still going to start a pool on which one of you breaks wind first.

i cant be the only one who read it this way

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
Fatal Frame is the only survival horror I sometimes switch off because it's just unsettling me too much.  I love it.  But I still have Fatal Frame 2 and 3 unplayed on the shelf as a result. :lol

I really enjoyed Cthulhu on the Xbox and I think it's well worth it for a few bucks.  It really goes for "realism" a lot of the time so the combat can be a little clunky but you get used to it (it isn't dead smooth like a FPS, more loose and 'realistic') and a handful of sections can be a bit trial and error because if you're spotted you are usually screwed.

Those would be the main downsides.  But it is genuinely unsettling and has a great atmosphere.  The realistic angle extends to specific body parts getting injured so you'll limp and slow down if you're running and being shot at.  To heal yourself you need time to get out your medical supplies and use them which can create some intense moments.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
NEVER

SHINY NEW TECH

Plus you three-Wii'd. 3Wii'd. W33'd. Something. I'm putting 20 smackers on you.
[close]

fek

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i'm least likely, better reverse that bet

i hardly ever turn on the psp i have now
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
dead space extraction is really good, btw, i rented it today
sup

drew

• sy
fucking fuck call of cthulhu was fucking awesome

in 2005
[close]

fucking fuck 2005 was like the best year this decade

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
About the last minute costume thing, I remember getting a Dracula Wig and some vampire teeth (cheapo kind). What I failed to realize is that pairing this with blue jeans and leather jacket made me look like some sort of horrible teen vampire character from the 80's. The combo was inadvertent and hilariously bad, lots of laughing at my expense  :'(
:9

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
<3 Chozo Ruins music
sad

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
NEVER

SHINY NEW TECH

[close]

Prole will buy the PSP Go.  Whenever he hates a console or a handheld, it is a sign that he will buy it eventually.
🍆🍆

EmCeeGrammar

NEVER

SHINY NEW TECH

[close]

Prole will buy the PSP Go.  Whenever he hates a console or a handheld, it is a sign that he will buy it eventually.

I'm guessing he doesn't hate much.  Just probably one of those folks who like a good argument.
sad

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i think we both genuinely hate the psp go
sup

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Drinky will be tempted each time he enters a videogame or electronics store.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
i think we both genuinely hate the psp go

How many times have you guys each bought a Wii?
WDW

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
drinky = 1

eel = 3

i honestly have no interest whatsoever in the psp go

i'll buy another psp when they stop being distinguished mentally-challenged and add a second analog for proper 3D controls
sup

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Jesus Christ Eel, you've bought THREE Wiis?  Ew.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
i bought one of them!
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Is there are a level in Dante's Infero for people that buy three Wii systems?
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i've never really lost money on any when i sold them, i consider them rental consoles
sup

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I bought one... but I bought it from someone on CL, and only so I could play Fire Emblem. 

Then after beating Fire Emblem a couple of times, I sold that piece of crap.  :punch
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Get a USB drive and hack that piece
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i'm having an enjoyable experience with it so far this time

i'm enjoying metroid prime trilogy, and dead space extraction is a pretty cool rail shooter

like i said on the show, the majority of this one was paid off in trades (my cash outlay came to a little over $50) - if i'd had to spend $200 out of pocket i probably wouldn't have bought it

gives me stuff to talk about on the show, and if it ends up sitting there unused for months between interesting releases it's no big deal

sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
:bow Metroid Prime Corruption

It was probably my favorite game on the Wii that I had for a year and a half. This was the only Metroid Prime game that didn't have ridiculous amounts of backtracking (there is still some, but its bearable).
jon

EmCeeGrammar

I wouldn't be surprised if Prole re-wiis for Mario.  I remember him liking NSMB alot.
sad

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Is Dead Space Extraction worth renting?

I'm a huge fan of the original game.
PSP

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
It's a solid game with a decent story and voice acting.  It's glitchy, though - I've had it "stall" once, where I couldn't progress because something that was supposed to happen didn't, and I had to restart from the previous checkpoint (15 minutes lost there).  People on other boards have had similar problems at different parts of the game.
sup

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
I think I'd rather just get a story synopsis of Dead Space Extraction than have to play it.  After going through Doom Resurrection, I don't think I ever want to touch another rail shooter.  Not my cup of tea. 

And speaking of horror or scary games.....
[youtube=560,345]VDuGiYfi0lo&feature=related[/youtube]
Has anyone here played Neftelia?  It's like 8-bit David Lynch.  I don't know if I'd classify it as "scary" but everything about it is so surreal that it seems....unsettling. Maybe it's just me though.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one that liked Quarantine or at least thought it was respectable.  I saw the original [REC] and still was able to have a good time with the remake.
Tacos

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
next ep will be a doozy :lol :-\ :'( :-*
duc

EmCeeGrammar

You'll laugh
You'll Cry
You'll Hurl
sad

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
you'll puke with fear!
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
That sounds like something TVC would say.
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Nobody actually plays PC games. You're set man.
fat