Author Topic: Zelda Spirit Tracks leaked  (Read 7921 times)

cool breeze

Re: Zelda Spirit Tracks leaked
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »
I thought Phantom Hourglass was one of the worst Zelda's I've played. Not bad, but not what I want from a Zelda game. If the game has good dungeons and exploration, though, I'm good.

I think I'm near the end of Spirit Tacks by now, and I'd say it is better than Phantom Hourglass, but still the second worst Zelda game.  The dungeons and puzzles are much better than Phantom Hourglass' and it's a shame that you won't spend most of your time doing that stuff.  The overworld in Spirit Tracks takes up more time than overworlds in any other zelda game.  It is by-far the worst thing ever in a Zelda game and one of the worst overworlds ever.  Phantom Hourglass let you move in every direction slowly.  Spirit Tracks has you moving even slower on fixed tracks and it isn't until near the end of the game when more convenient tracks pop up to make the travels a bit less suicidal. 

What's worse is that every side quest in the game deals with unlocking those extra tracks, and all are essentially "drive guy to place, watch for railway signs / transport items to place / catch rabbits as you ride around".  The majority of the game for me has been spent at my computer or watching TV as I occasionally glance at my DS and tap to kill a baddie as I wait another couple minutes to arrive at my destination.  The best is that there are warp points, right, but they're in placed in the worst locations.  Using any warp point still takes a couple minutes to go where you need to be. 

Other problems are the flute rhythm sections, which involves dragging around a flute on the bottom of the screen as you blow into the DS mic, and the the general tone of the game.  Where Phantom Hourglass was influenced by Pirates of the Caribbean, Spirit Tracks seems to be influenced by animu.  Part is FullMetal Alchemist in how the main dungeon you visit is about Link interacting with Zelda's spirit bound to an armored suit while the general tone is moe / uguu behavior from Zelda.  That stuff is mostly avoidable thought still weird.

But yeah, the dungeons and puzzles are way better than Phantom Hourglass.  If you ever had trouble dealing with the overworld in other Zelda games, this is about 1,000-times worse.  For me the dungeons and puzzles are good enough that they save it from being as bad as Phantom Hourglass.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2009, 03:01:54 PM »
I'd still say it's better than Zelda II and PH.  I was thinking I liked it better than Minish Cap, then I popped Minish Cap back in and kinda forgot how good that game was.

At least it has an overworld  :-\
püp

Tucah

« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »
Started this today. So far it's alright - controls are fine, graphics are bleh, especially animu facial expressions. The train sections I've done are really fucking boring, I'd much rather run over the overworld. We need another LA/OoA/OoS caliber Zelda handheld title.

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
I'd still say it's better than Zelda II and PH.  I was thinking I liked it better than Minish Cap, then I popped Minish Cap back in and kinda forgot how good that game was.

At least it has an overworld  :-\

Minish Cap's visual aesthetic is so much more charming than PH or ST''s lacklustre 3d, which is bland and vapid by comparison.

It's the prettiest Zelda game imo. Make another game in that style and I might be interested in playing it past the first 20 minutes.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
alundra shits in landstalker's mouf, nostalgiafag
duc

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
Replay Alundra 2 :teehee
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
Landstalker? :yuck
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »

don't even joke about that  :wag

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »

Fuck. I actually spent an entire summer trudging through Alundra 2, thinking it might be a good substitute for Ocarina of Time :'(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:48:04 PM by Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich »
うぐう

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »
i've never played alundra 2 just generaly heard it as a terrible game but without anyone going deep about it...
<----

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »
alundra shits in landstalker's mouf, nostalgiafag

I like Alundra a lot, but Landstalker is my favorite action-RPG of all time.  Loved everything about it except for the incredibly-disappointing ending.  It also gets bonus points for not having the stink of Working Designs all over it.

When I saw the characters coming back in Climax Landers, it had me all :hyper and then I played it.   :'(

Landstalker? :yuck

Don't you have some Spyro the Dragon or Sonic & Knuckles to play?

i've never played alundra 2 just generaly heard it as a terrible game but without anyone going deep about it...

That's really all you need to know.  Shit game that used the name of a good game in an attempt to get some sales off of it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:20:08 AM by the lyte edge™ »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2009, 11:58:02 PM »
Can't argue with that!

:piss Spirits Tracks :piss2
ど助平

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2009, 12:44:46 AM »

don't even joke about that  :wag

Who's joking? It's a masterpiece.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:teehee
[close]
zzzzz

Himu

« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2009, 01:42:12 AM »
[
Don't you have some Spyro the Dragon or Sonic & Knuckles to play?

Beyond Oasis > Landstalker
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2009, 02:05:53 AM »
Zelda, what happened? :'(

Bebpo

« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
Where's the stampbook?  They have little spots to stamp your stampbook at each place but I have none!

/at the first dungeon

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
nico give it to you after you finish the first dungeon which means that if you want stamp from earlier you have to backtrack
lame,i know
<----

« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2009, 07:35:44 PM »
When I get back to handheld gaming, this baby will be the first game I get. All Zelda games might not be classics, but every single one of them is good!

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »
nico give it to you after you finish the first dungeon which means that if you want stamp from earlier you have to backtrack
lame,i know

I just finished the first dungeon and went back to my starting house and talked to the guy and no stamp book!  Do I have to go further in the story to get it?

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
When I get back to handheld gaming, this baby will be the first game I get. All Zelda games might not be classics, but every single one of them is good!

:rock Wand of Gamelon :rock
zzzzz

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
lame,i know

I just finished the first dungeon and went back to my starting house and talked to the guy and no stamp book!  Do I have to go further in the story to get it?
ayup go further,you can't miss it,the game will be like "oh before you go,visit nico!" and then he gives you the stamp book
<----

drew

• sy
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
wind waker and that ds one are ass. ASS.

i am one of the biggest zeldafags here too

« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »

Man, the CD-I games don't count. How often does the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto refer to that unspoken era of Nintendo gaming? It's like it doesn't exist!

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »
PH pretty much sucked and only approached acceptable if you were a mega Zelda fan. Which I am.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »

Man, the CD-I games don't count. How often does the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto refer to that unspoken era of Nintendo gaming? It's like it doesn't exist!

Why, because his holiness Miyamoto didn't make them?  He didn't make a lot of the other Zelda games either.  You're just mad that the CD-I Zelda games have incredible story and cut scenes far better than anything The big N could crap out.  ;)
ど助平

« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »

Phantom Hourglass, fine. I can understand why some didn't like revisiting the same temples over and over again, especially Ocean Kings. I wasn't too thrilled about it myself, and can definitely see how fickle and soft self-proclaimed Zelda fans like yourself could have been intimidated by it.

Wind Waker, on the other hand, was a classic, so stfu.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2009, 08:37:05 PM »
Wasn't at all a fan of Phantom Hourglass, but at least it was over quickly. Girlfriend bought me Spirit Tracks as part of my gift, so I will be playing that once I get back to work. Landstalker is fucking AMAZING though.
^_^

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »

Phantom Hourglass, fine. I can understand why some didn't like revisiting the same temples over and over again, especially Ocean Kings. I wasn't too thrilled about it myself, and can definitely see how fickle and soft self-proclaimed Zelda fans like yourself could have been intimidated by it.  :smug

Fuck you. The game sucks.

Bebpo

« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2009, 08:38:44 PM »
Yeah, I am a mega zelda fan so I even like bad zelda games :X  Like Spirit Tracks so far is really cute and gives me that  :link :zelda feeling so I'm enjoying it.  First dungeon was kinda really really short though.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »
I don't know how a mega Zelda fan COULD like PH more than a moderate fan. If you're a mega fan you can see that PH lacks a lot of the stuff that made the previous games good.
zzzzz

drew

• sy
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
Wind Waker, on the other hand, was a classic, so stfu.

i prefer oot and twilight princess, so stfu

« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:18 PM »

Why, because his holiness Miyamoto didn't make them?  He didn't make a lot of the other Zelda games either.  You're just mad that the CD-I Zelda games have incredible story and cut scenes far better than anything The big N could crap out.  ;)

Incredible story and cut scenes are what video games are all about! You're a Final Fantasy/Metal Gear dweeb, aren't you?

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2009, 08:43:13 PM »
I don't know how a mega Zelda fan COULD like PH more than a moderate fan. If you're a mega fan you can see that PH lacks a lot of the stuff that made the previous games good.

Yea, you're right. PH was the game that caused me not to day one Spirit Tracks for the first time since OoT (the first one I was old enough to day one). And when I got it it was as a gift, not my own money. What a catastrophe.

My fiance is not the most discerning of gamers and even she knew it was a turd. I don't think she finished it.

And the Ocean King Temple, for a real fan, was not the worst part of the game.

drew

• sy
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »
the thing that caused me to not day one spirit tracks was because THERE WAS KIDDIE LINK RIDING A FUCKING TRAIN IN THE TRAILER

« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
the thing that caused me to not day one spirit tracks was because THERE WAS KIDDIE LINK RIDING A FUCKING TRAIN IN THE TRAILER

As opposed to an adult link riding an LAV with an M16-A2 service rifle strapped to his back. That would have really made you feel like a more manly video gamer stud, right?

drew

• sy
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
i could see that reply coming from a mile away

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »

As opposed to an adult link riding an LAV with an M16-A2 service rifle strapped to his back. That would have really made you feel like a more manly video gamer stud, right?

dick breath

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

that may have been worth the MBs that Spirit Tracks took up on my flash card, before I deleted it out of total boredom. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:17 AM »
I haven't even bothered beating this, as much as I liked the dungeons and stuff.  Overworld was just way too much of a chore.

Playing Twilight Princess, a true fucking Zelda.
püp

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2009, 01:58:15 AM »
Will pirate this one day

drew

• sy
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06:55 AM »
Will pirate this one day

you have way too much time on your hands

WAY

SantaC

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2009, 08:52:10 AM »
I haven't even bothered beating this, as much as I liked the dungeons and stuff.  Overworld was just way too much of a chore.

ST Is ass

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:40 AM »
Coming from a community whose outspoken members - at least a majority of them, anyway - have a well-documented bias against Nintendo, particularly the DS, I'll refrain from taking any criticisms of the game posted here at face value.

I'm still going to buy and enjoy the hell out of it.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »

ST Is ass

No, it's not ass, it's leagues better than PH.  Dungeons were badass, as were the boss battles.  The overworld just happened to sour the experience.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »
The dungeons and boss battles are way better than PH, true, but the overworld is the worst thing ever in a Zelda game bar none.  Still better than Phantom Hourglass because it has some good that takes way too long to get to.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2009, 01:11:58 PM »
:rock Capcom Zeldas :rock

Best Zelda games ever.

:heart Capcom :heart

What's the best Capcom Zelda?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
乱学者