Author Topic: Zelda Spirit Tracks leaked  (Read 7920 times)

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
Re: Zelda Spirit Tracks leaked
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
It's pretty good for the price I paid.  :smug

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
There's basically 8 or 9 dungeons if you are liberal with your definition of dungeons, 5 legitimate ones.

The Ocean King temple was already great.  Does it fix the actual problem with PH -- the simplistic design of the other dungeons?

Mmmm...the first one was retardedly easy, but the Ice dungeon was actually quite clever.  Music is muuuuuch better for the dungeons as well.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
Right I agree.  The Tower of the Gods/Spirits is much much better.  It's basically a new dungeon each time you visit it–no floor revisitation required.  Each new section feels like its own brand new dungeon.

I must also stress: the music is so so so much better in this game.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
My only real complaint so far is that the train goes a little too slow for my liking.
püp

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »
The tower dungeons are kinda lame though.   Yet another example where button control would have been fine, but instead, they add an extra 2 layers of distinguished mentally-challenged to it.  You "switch" to Zelda in the heavy armor, but you can't control her like you control link (1st layer) and more than that, you have to draw paths for her to walk.  The collision detection seems to suck, 'cause if you draw anywhere near a wall, she doesn't know how to resolve it and gets stuck. (2nd layer.)  

It's not horrible, but it's just cumbersome.  

I agree about the music...it is pretty great.  I'm surprised at how crisp it sounds!  DS usually has some crap sound.   
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:48:54 PM by Kranz Fafka »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »
Oh I disagree, I like the tower dungeons, and the touch screen controls.  I'll agree about wishing Zelda controlled the same as link though
püp

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
So this manages to have even fewer dungeons than the last game, which was basically a proof of concept? Amazing.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
More dungeons /= better dungeons.
püp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
Tell that to LttP

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »
LttP dungeons weren't that great.  The Oracle games' dungeons were superior.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2009, 11:02:25 PM »
I picked this up today.  Hope it's at least better than Phantom Hourglass.  won't have time to play until after finals  :'(

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
It is.  In fact I'd say it's about as good as Minish Cap.  Nah, actually, better.
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2009, 11:51:44 PM »
this is so awful
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2009, 11:55:28 PM »
Meh, prole being an old fart, new at 11
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »
you can't defend this

you just can't

it doesn't even seem like a zelda game
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2009, 02:20:37 AM »
special guest for indefensible
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2009, 03:13:11 AM »
you can't defend this

you just can't

it doesn't even seem like a zelda game

Sure I can defend it.  It's much better than PH.  That's my opinion, even though the overworld is still awful.  The dungeons are designed well (at least after the first dungeon, anyway), and the game seems much more focused on character interaction.  That's not even mentioning the game's superb music and overall better aesthetic design.

Listen man, you were so hellbent on hating this in the first place, of course you're going to hate it.  Me, I went in open and am pleasantly surprised at its quality.  Infinitely more rewarding and enjoyable than PH and even better than Minish Cap.
püp

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2009, 04:09:39 AM »
Prole, what are your gripes besides the fugly 3d and the touch screen controls. Lets just get that out of the way.
sad

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »
definitely not better than minish cap. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »
Why are you all putting Minish Cap on the pedestal anyway. It's easily one of the lower tier games
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »
Spirit Tracks and PH still don't quite catch up to it.  they're zelda-lite.

archie4208

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
Why are you all putting Minish Cap on the pedestal anyway. It's easily one of the lower tier games

Just shows to go how much Spirit Tracks sucks.  Oracle games are still the pinnacle of handheld Zelda.  

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »
"It's not as good as Minish Cap!"

"Totally better than PH"

Arguing over lower tier Zelda games lol
fat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »
I don't play Zelda enough to put them into tiers...

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
My problem -> Not here
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »
Prole, what are your gripes besides the fugly 3d and the touch screen controls. Lets just get that out of the way.

lack of real overworld exploration

small, easy dungeons, and only 4 of them plus one giant one

the train bits in general
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
How far are you?  The third dungeon definitely wasn't really that easy, and the third section of the Tower took me like an hour and a half.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2009, 03:13:41 PM »
and uh holy shit at fire temple
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
I've only played for about an hour and a half, and so far I'm mostly worried about the gameplay elements they're introducing.  I really, really hope this stealth stuff isn't later in the game, and that one brief train sequence was boring (assuming you can speed it up via parts or w/e).  Too early to say anything about dungeons, difficulty or anything else.  Controls still seem less-than-ideal like Phantom Hourglass, and while they're adequate, I wish there was an option for traditional controls.

The one really weird thing is that this game is super animu.  Really super animu.  The expressions, humor and villains so far seem straight out of a Naruto filler episode.  It's more weird than anything else.  There are times when Zelda is close to uguu'ing.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
it's pretty uguu~   

manbabies go squeeee over underage Link's facial expressions. 

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »
That's a shame.

*goes back to Clash of Heroes*
zzzzz

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44:15 PM »
Not a whole lot of stealth in the game, no.  Only about 5 minutes each time you go back to the Tower, and it's done in such a way where you don't have to worry about a fucking time limit.  You can just run around and be quick around the un-stunned phantoms without having to plan you're every move.

The train is boring throughout most of the game, sadly.  It's still more interesting than the boat because there's actually shit to look at this time, and you do have a few missions to do involving passengers, freights, etc. with it, but it still feels like a fancy line connecting point A and B and nothing more.  How anyone can prefer this bullshit and in the same sentence shit on TP's and Wind Waker's overworld is fucking beyond me.  It's the most disappointing part of the game by far, and something that should never see the light of day in a Zelda ever again.

Dungeons and difficulty pick up considerably after the second trip to the Tower, right before the second dungeon.  I've never actually died (and honestly, who does any more in Zelda games) but the bosses have been fucking awesome, and the last two dungeons in terms of puzzles can be very clever.  The fire temple was nuts.

I am fine with the controls for the most part, but I'll still agree that it feels like a side-step rather than a step up.  I don't see how anyone can argue for traditional controls for these games, though, considering they build the entire game, controls AND environments, around the touch screen.  Considering that, it works fine.  There have been a few times where I equip an item at the absolute worst time, though, and it's caused me a bit of damage.

I'll agree with uguu~.  Kinda unsettling.  Thankfully the real men at Nintendo are working an teh matoor wii zelda :rock

Still sticking to it: fun game, much better than PH and I'd say a little better than Minish Cap.  Lower-tier Zelda game, but probably the best of the lower tier ones.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:46:44 PM by BrandNew »
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »
is there at least other shit to do on the train? like, do I get a cannon like in PH, or is it all just blowing the horn?

and the flute is kinda neat.  I usually hate blowing into my DS, but it does work surprisingly well in a gimmicky way.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »
Oh yeah, you get a cannon, passenger missions, shipping missions, and you can warp after the second dungeon.  I'm not even past the fifth Tower portion yet, so there might be even more.  There's also these mini-games you can do during a ride where you can catch bunnies with a net.  *shrugs* something to do I guess.

The flute IS kind of cool, mostly because the music you learn with it is ace.  Gimmicky, yeah, but the entire game is, so whatever.
püp

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2009, 03:44:26 AM »
OH boy I wonder if there is a boomerang in this one

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2009, 02:34:04 PM »
Whats uguu

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2009, 03:57:25 PM »
This game is trash. Someone wake me when they make a decent Zelda game again.
PSP

cool breeze

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
Dungeons so far were fun, but this train stuff is really awful.  I don't see what they were trying to accomplish here.  Just going from point to point takes minutes, and every minute or so you tap your screen when a baddie appears.  And then if an enemy train hits you, you have to repeat that entire 5 minute ride.  They need a turbo or something on it.  The speeds are slow, somehow even slower, stop, and slow reverse/handbrake.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Yep, really really awful choice.  My one huge complaint with the game.  Takes it from a 9-ish to a low 8-ish.
püp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2009, 04:56:59 PM »
Dungeons so far were fun, but this train stuff is really awful.  I don't see what they were trying to accomplish here.  Just going from point to point takes minutes, and every minute or so you tap your screen when a baddie appears.  And then if an enemy train hits you, you have to repeat that entire 5 minute ride.  They need a turbo or something on it.  The speeds are slow, somehow even slower, stop, and slow reverse/handbrake.

Iwamoto
Yes. I think, at this point, the game couldn't exist without that train. Also, when playing The Legend of Zelda, people tend to clear one dungeon and rush straight on to the next one, playing as though speed were the important thing. I'd like them to slow down a bit; don't rush straight through it. Take detours and side roads while you play.
<----

cool breeze

« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
what

ok, maybe he could make an argument it wasn't a 3D game on the DS.  Why would I take side routes? to see more squares and swimming textures? I don't even feel like doing the side missions because just traveling on the train makes me want to stop playing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:04:55 PM by swaggaz »

cool breeze

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
Find bridge builder.  Five to ten minute ride across the map "uguu link the bridge is out, I wonder who can help us" FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

why couldn't they say this when I found the bridge builder, who was on the route the game told me to go anyway.  When can I start warping around?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
You could've started warping an hour before that part of the game.  The gates you pass by with the triangles above them, hit the triangle with your cannon then sound the choooooooo
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »
does the game mark them on your map? I saw the guy mention it, in my regular travels the only ones I've seen are ones without the gems.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2009, 06:20:47 PM »
mmm i'm kinda stuck,the game said "lol go back to snow world to get a carpenter or something" but i can't find him
any idea?
edit: yea i'm talking about the bridge builder
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:34:23 PM by magus »
<----

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »
On the southeastern portion of the snow realm map, beyond that train dude's house.

edit: swag, you are responsible for marking them yourself but I THINK that train dude might have a map for it somwhere in his house, idk
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
The bridge builder is at the bottom right of the Snow area.  If you go to the spirit tower via forest area and take the snow exit, it's to the right a few seconds out.

cool breeze

« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:32 AM »
So far (3 dungeons and some side stuff done) it's hard to call this game too great.  The dungeons and puzzles are way, way better than Phantom Hourglass.  There are some problems with DS gimmicky shit like the wind weapon that you need to blow to activate.  But the train and just moving around the overworld is the worst thing ever in a Zelda game, and genuinely awful.  It's disgusting enough that it made it into a game, but a portable game? this is the opposite of what portable game design has been in forever.  Revisiting the same stupid dungeon in Phantom Hourglass it was at least easy to see what they were trying to go for by letting you move through it quicker with each new item.  Here, there are absolutely no redeeming qualities to the train.  And because the overworld is such garbage, the side-quests are too.  It's ride around and collect rabbits, drive carefully while transporting passenger, etc.  I'm really enjoying everything that isn't the train, and the flute.  The flute is awful too.  The orcarina usage is fine, but when they make you play to a beat, I just have so much trouble with it.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2009, 03:26:54 AM »
This game is trash. Someone wake me when they make a decent Zelda game again.
You're gonna be sleepin' for a while, dude.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »
Is this game good? I really have a hankering for a new Zelda. It's been 3 years since TP.  :'(
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »
if you didn't like phantom hourglass, it's hard to like this one.  I enjoy it for its puzzles/dungeons and music.  prole hates it.  to be expected though
püp

Himu

« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
I thought Phantom Hourglass was one of the worst Zelda's I've played. Not bad, but not what I want from a Zelda game. If the game has good dungeons and exploration, though, I'm good.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
It has next to no exploration, but the dungeons and puzzles are quite good.  Boss battles are too.
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »
I hear the train moves just as slow as the boat.
I am growing to hate overworlds in Zelda games.  The next Wii one better give link a LIGHTSPEED HOVERHORSE or something.

Zelda used to be my favorite franchise.  Now I still like the games but 50% of the game time is spent not having fun as I traverse the overworld.

Himu

« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »
I just want to play a Zelda game. :(
IYKYK

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »
we should make our own.  we'll call it Dudebroelda: my shit is stupid and a forced meme and I'm gonna sell tshirts.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »

Replay StarTropics :bow
fat

Himu

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
I love you Demi.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2009, 03:59:39 AM »
I hear the train moves just as slow as the boat.
I am growing to hate overworlds in Zelda games.  The next Wii one better give link a LIGHTSPEED HOVERHORSE or something.

Zelda used to be my favorite franchise.  Now I still like the games but 50% of the game time is spent not having fun as I traverse the overworld.

This game isn't even a fucking overworld.  It's just scenery you can't explore.  The overworlds for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were great, it just took too long to traverse.
püp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2009, 05:21:06 AM »

Replay StarTropics :bow
ppfftt
Replay Alundra
<----