Author Topic: Spider-Man 4 canned. Current franchise dead. Reboot in 2012 with no Raimi  (Read 17846 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
http://www.movieline.com/2009/12/exclusive-spider-man-4-circling-john-malkovich-anne-hathaway.php?page=1

If negotiations proceed according to plan, Malkovich will be playing Spider-Man’s nemesis the Vulture, who packs a punch despite his advanced age. The Vulture is able to fly through the air and brandish his sharp wings to attack Spider-Man.

As for Hathaway, that’s where things get tricky.

The 27-year-old actress is currently the top choice for Felicia Hardy, who’d been long-rumored as one of the new characters in this installment. (Other names bandied about for the role included Julia Stiles, Rachel McAdams, and Romola Garai.) However, unlike in the comic books, this Felicia Hardy doesn’t transform into the Black Cat. Instead, Raimi’s Felicia will become a brand-new superpowered figure called the Vulturess.

What does this mean for poor Dylan Baker, who’s patiently played Curt Connors in the last two installments? As much as it would seem that the series is setting up his eventual transformation into supervillain the Lizard, we hear that the suits simply can’t bring themselves to sign off on such an odd-looking enemy — instead, they’d rather hew closer to villains with a human face. Perhaps, then, it’s the best-case scenario for Baker: He gets to remain the subject of fanboy interest, but he doesn’t have to cede his role to a motion-captured reptile in a lab coat.

Vulture...new villain Vulturess...and the suits won't allow Lizard in the movies?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:59:51 PM by ManaByte »
CBG

Re: The Spider-Man suck train continues
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »
I heard about this the other day on GAF. Felicia Hardy as anything other than the Black Cat is just wrong.

And besides, The Lizard in a Raimi movie would be perfect.
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
As long as Hathaway is flying around in a revealing suit...sold

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »
I'd love, love, love to see Mysterio brought to the screen, but I'll gladly take anything that's not another science experiment gone awry.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »
Did people really buy that BS about SM3 only sucking because of studio involvement? Raimi is trolling spider-man fans really hard.

Considering Raimi did not want to do Venom (and was pretty adamant about it) and Avi Arad has gone on record saying that he really pushed for it (for the fans, of course!), I'd say the studio is primarily at fault. The guy churned out two commercially and critical successful films, and then got vetoed on the thing that matters the most - the script.

Both Raimi and Maguire have balked at returning to the franchise since, and their return only makes me more hesitant. This isn't a return to form or anything, this is pretty much Sony giving them so much money for the services that they couldn't possibly say no.

I have no doubt this will be a soulless, awful film.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:40:09 PM »
I'd love, love, love to see Mysterio brought to the screen, but I'll gladly take anything that's not another science experiment gone awry.

See, that's what I don't get. The success of the first two films and other comic book properties should show studio executives that folks will pay to see an entertaining film, regardless of what the villain looks like.

There were rumors about Bruce playing Mysterio, Dylan Baker as the Lizard, etc. Those are infinitely better than VENOM (he's so extreme, y'know).

The only good news about this is that Raimi will get his wish of the Vulture, which was the original villain (alongside Sandman) planned for Spidey 3. He likes his old school thugs.
PSP

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »
When is Spider-Man going to team up with Ben Affleck to fight Black Kingpin?
haa

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:36 AM »
I wonder if Spiderman will go like Batman where they run it into the ground with a string of shit and then someone comes along and makes a good movie years down the line.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »
I hope it goes the tracjectory of Superman, personally.
USA

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »
IT'S ALL ABOUT THAT $$$
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 02:47:17 AM »
A LIZARD WE CANT MARKET A LIZARD LIZARDS DONT PUT BUTTS IN SEATS JOHN MALKOVICH DOES WE NEED TO SEE THE FACE AND SELL TICKETS ITS ALL ABOUT THAT $$$
PSP

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »
Raimi fucked up. He had a killer story line with the Goblin/Hobgoblin and could have based the entire second movie around an MJ breakup and then meeting Gwen Stacey (who gets killed). Part 3 is your Doc Ock movie where he reunites with MJ. Then you still have your symbiote storyline for part 4.

Solo

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »
Im not anywheres near as cynical as Willco about this. I cant fathom any scenario in which this is even remotely as bad as 3 was.

Cravis

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »
I like Malkovitch. He makes a good villain. It will be interesting to see how the Vulture is handled. I'm sure it will be some dumbass mechanical suit just like the butchered Green Goblin costume.

I second Bruce as Mysterio. Sadly he's not getting any younger.

Maybe I'll be able to sit through all of Spider-Man 4 but I doubt it. I fast forwarded through most of Spider-Man 3 just to see the action. Everything else sucked.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »
I like Malkovitch, but just as I like Jeremy Irons, his presence is a far cry from guaranteeing quality. Moneyhats all around!

I'm happy Raimi's successful now, but I liked him better when he had to make money stretch.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 01:20:01 PM »
Why don't they just go back to the one villain formula since it has worked pretty well and you wont have this "Felicia Hardy not being Black Cat" bullshit.

If the suits are being bitches about Lizard just concentrate on Vulture.

Tucah

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »
Vulturess sounds stupid. I'd much rather have Black Cat. Or the Lizard.

Still, I have hopes that this is going to at least be better than SM3.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
The lizard sucks dick, Malkovich is awesome and the news that he is playing the vulture are great, my problem is with Felicia, why even have her in the movie if is not going to be even remotely the same character as in the books? can they just name her something else?
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 09:19:25 PM »
Vulture, Lizard, Black Cat, who cares? We need:

©@©™

Solo

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
Ruh roh!

Spider-Man 4: Spider-Man 3 Part 2  :'(

Looks like everyone's friendly neighborhood web slinger has been been placed on indefinite hold said an inside source exclusively to the IESB today.

Apparently, several department heads working on the SPIDER-M4N production were notified of the halt last Thursday. Spidey and friends have some issues that need to be dealt with before production can move forward once again. Oh, and the film is known as SPIDER-M4N within the production offices so take note! Who wants to be the first to start the trending topic on Twitter #SPIDER-M4N?

An inside source working on the project tells IESB that there are some major issues director Sam Raimi is dealing with that include an incomplete script. And why is the script incomplete? Looks like Raimi and the studio heads at Sony Pictures can't agree upon a villain for the film.

Raimi is pushing hard for the Vulture to be the big baddie, something he also pushed for in the third film to star alongside the Sandman but didn't get and we all know how that one turned out. Vulture was to do his evil deeds alongside the new Goblin and Sandman. A single concept art sketch can be seen in "The Art of Spider-Man 3" book. Vulture and Flint Marko would have been cellmates who escaped together, with Vulture pressuring the more passive Marko into committing crimes.

On the flip side, who does the studio want to be the villain? Our source says they seem to only be interested in featuring which ever character is selling books right now but basically they have no idea, just not the Vulture.

So, production on SPIDER-M4N grinded to a halt this past Thursday and isn't budging until some compromises are made. Sony is in a bit of a dilemna though because they are insistent upon getting a film shooting as soon as possible. Our source also said these issues aren't being handled in the most friendliest of fashions. There is apparently some definite anger within the production with several people very "pissed off".

Perhaps they will use the time over the holidays to calm down in order to make some compromises to decide which way the film will be headed as the new year begins in January.

We will have to wait and see!
http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7951:spider-man-4-production-on-indefinite-hold&catid=41:news&Itemid=71

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »

Looks like everyone's friendly neighborhood web slinger has been been placed on indefinite hold said an inside source exclusively to the IESB today.

Apparently, several department heads working on the SPIDER-M4N production were notified of the halt last Thursday. Spidey and friends have some issues that need to be dealt with before production can move forward once again. Oh, and the film is known as SPIDER-M4N within the production offices so take note! Who wants to be the first to start the trending topic on Twitter #SPIDER-M4N?

An inside source working on the project tells IESB that there are some major issues director Sam Raimi is dealing with that include an incomplete script. And why is the script incomplete? Looks like Raimi and the studio heads at Sony Pictures can't agree upon a villain for the film.

Raimi is pushing hard for the Vulture to be the big baddie, something he also pushed for in the third film to star alongside the Sandman but didn't get and we all know how that one turned out. Vulture was to do his evil deeds alongside the new Goblin and Sandman. A single concept art sketch can be seen in "The Art of Spider-Man 3" book. Vulture and Flint Marko would have been cellmates who escaped together, with Vulture pressuring the more passive Marko into committing crimes.

good man Raimi, good man

Robo

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »
SPIDER-M4N

smh
obo

Solo

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
2 FAST 2 SPIDERM4N

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 12:50:44 PM »
I don't get this. Just let Raimi do what he wants. Why go against the creative force that got you to Spider-Man 4 in the first place, because it didn't really work out the last time around.

Oh well, Raimi was an idiot for taking the money anyway.
PSP

Solo

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »

Oh well, Raimi was an idiot for taking the money anyway.

Hes in a bad situation. Took the money to return despite every reason to walk away after how Sony fucked him on S-M3, and now here he is on S-M4, and the same shit is happening again.

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
I don't get why people love Raimi so much. This is that man that let Kevin Costner ruin For the Love of the Game.
haa

Solo

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
Sam Raimi also made Evil Dead 2, A Simple Plan, Spider-Man 2 and Drag Me To Hell.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 01:25:05 PM »
He also made Army of Darkness, Darkman, Spider-Man, etc.
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »
And Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
HE DID?!?!

:bow Raimi :bow2

I neatly came when Kevin Sorbo showed up on the OC.

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)

THIS IS RON HOWARD'S BROTHER
[close]

:lol  Why post this?
:)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
HE DID?!?!

:bow Raimi :bow2

Yeah, he was the executive producer on the entire runs of Hercules and Xena.
dog

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 02:12:41 PM »
http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7951:spider-man-4-production-on-indefinite-hold&catid=43:exclusive-features&Itemid=73

IESB Exclusive: SPIDER-MAN 4 Production on Indefinite Hold

On the flip side, who does the studio want to be the villain? Our source says they seem to only be interested in featuring which ever character is selling books right now but basically they have no idea, just not the Vulture.

So, production on SPIDER-M4N grinded to a halt this past Thursday and isn't budging until some compromises are made. Sony is in a bit of a dilemna though because they are insistent upon getting a film shooting as soon as possible. Our source also said these issues aren't being handled in the most friendliest of fashions. There is apparently some definite anger within the production with several people very "pissed off".

Perhaps they will use the time over the holidays to calm down in order to make some compromises to decide which way the film will be headed as the new year begins in January.

We will have to wait and see!

CBG

Robo

Re: The Spider-Man suck train has derailed!
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
Does being a townie leper prevent you from reading your own damn thread?
obo

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 02:22:50 PM »
Already posted?

Edit:  Beaten twice.

But good for Raimi to hold out. Hopefully he can force Sony to see reason.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:24:24 PM by Ganhyun »
XDF

Solo

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
 :lol

Solo

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
Gotcha!

This morning, IESB reported a rumor that Spider-Man 4 "has been been placed on indefinite hold."

The site continued by saying that "several department heads working on the SPIDER-M4N production were notified of the halt last Thursday. Spidey and friends have some issues that need to be dealt with before production can move forward once again."

Our studio source tells us this is not true. They are simply on hiatus for the holidays and production will resume in the new year. This is a very common practice on films, and not really surprising.

The fourth installment is scheduled for a release in conventional and IMAX theaters on May 5, 2011.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8930

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »
That is pretty true. I'm working on something that just got dry humped by a production company, but we don't have our second meeting until sometime next month. Los Angeles is so transient that the film and television industry kind of shut down between Thanksgiving and New Year's.
PSP

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »
Sam Rami should dump this like a hot turd and get to the Warcraft movie so that Bruce Fucking Campbell can get his Oscar for Best Actor Of The Forever already.  :-*

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
Sam Rami should dump this like a hot turd and get to the Warcraft movie so that Bruce Fucking Campbell can get his Oscar for Best Actor Of The Forever already.  :-*

If done right, I repeat, DONE RIGHT!  That movie could be awesome.  :punch
:)

ManaByte

CBG

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
Yeah, I heard over break, from someone who knows, that it is a total clusterfuck right now.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
Plus side is that the rumors of Sony using the time to ready a shoot in 3D is true. And if there's any practical application for the technology, Spider-Man is certainly it. They need something to lure audiences back in the fold, because after the last installment, they won't be able to rely on brand strength alone.
PSP

ManaByte

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »
And you better believe they'll have a Mary Jane wet T-Shirt shot ready for the 3D trailer.
CBG

Powerslave

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
SPIDER-M4N

smh

After that...

5PIDER-MAN

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Yes, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised:

[close]
PSP

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 03:53:49 PM »
Looks better than the other one.
Drunk

Powerslave

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 03:55:51 PM »
lmao he does resemble Dunst a lot

ManaByte

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »
Paramount moved Thor into Spidey's old release date of May 6 2011 and Disney moved Pirates 4 into Thor's old spot of May 20th. So if it isn't delayed Thor and Spider-Man will come out on the same day.
CBG

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
Yes, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised:

[close]

I'd never realized how similar she looks to Billy Corgan. They have about the same-sized tits, too.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
Why is there a Pirates 4?

There should be a law that states that if a movie scores below a certain percentage on an aggregate list of critical reviews, a sequel cannot be released for seven years.

wat

That's so hilariously random.  :lol
MMA

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »
Pirates 4 is also based on an awesome novel from an awesome author :wag

I hated Pirates 2 and 3 but the Tim Powers connexion is enough to get me curious about 4.
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »
Pirates 4 is also based on an awesome novel from an awesome author :wag

As of right now that's really the only thing that's got me interested in another Pirates movie.
dog

Powerslave

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 10:55:36 PM »
nice postcount

Purple Filth

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:51 PM »
Bloom and Knightly are finally gone!

Main reason i'm looking forward to 4

Sparrow and Barbossa FTW

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 01:46:34 AM »
It's show business.

Not show art.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »
Quote from: Sony Pictures Twitter
Spider-Man: Summer 2012: Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Holy Crap!  They're rebooting the series, starting from scratch.  Word on the street is that Raimi is out too.
 :o

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »
lol, really?

maybe he just gets a younger girlfriend so he doesn't have to deal with grown up issues in a failed attempt to reclaim his youth
Tonya

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 05:47:02 PM »
Spider-Man: Summer 2012: Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Holy Crap!  They're rebooting the series, starting from scratch.  Word on the street is that Raimi is out too.
Could it be he's going back as a teacher\teaching assistant?

Purple Filth

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »

Could it be he's going back as a teacher\teaching assistant?

i wonder if it will be based on the Spectacular Spiderman animated series they had for a while