Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780557 times)

Oblivion

RE4 is the exception that PROVES the rule.

Ugh, people need to stop using this phrase. It's right up there with 'irregardless', and 'I could care less.".

etiolate

Sega is dumb. But are third party "mature" titles failing on the Wii because of dumb decisions in general? I don't think so.

In terms of Sega though, The Conduit was supposed to be a big Wii shooter. It got decent reviews and had Wii owners salivating. It bombed because it catered to a niche group of Wii owners - mature shooter fans. Remember all the talk about the Wii revolutionizing the FPS? lol

If you want to make money on the Wii you better make a Wii Sports rip off, or a party game, or an exercise game cheaper than Wii Fit.

You just have to keep making those games to build and attract the audience. As long as Mad World looks like a black sheep amongst  Bratz Party Jamz and Elf Bowling, then it will sell like a black sheep. Microsoft published first party sports titles just to build a sports gamer atmosphere, then dropped them once it was established. Nobody will spend money to do that anymore.  Nintendo tried to with the Gamecube, but all people saw was a purple box. It does't help that the community is immature and proud of it.

So, I tend to see it as a "fuck and forget the community and make good games" solution. I also know there is a bridging game to be had between Wii Fit and games of more depth that people aren't pursuing enough.

Instead, its publishers caught in the same lies the community bickers over.  If you're loud and dumb enough, then the crowd will follow.

etiolate

And as for advertising, I am not sure any game publisher effectively advertises besides Rockstar. Most just sell to the people already going to buy the game, unable to think beyond trademags.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I suppose you have never heard of something called television?
PSP

I don't see many game commercials on TV. Could be that I don't watch the channels/shows that run them.

I did see one for Bayonetta on New Year's Eve.
野球

etiolate

Rockstar uses Television to make commercial that capture the general audience and create a vibe, or they just make commercials that people remember and they advertise them in places other than Spike TV. Other publishers put up a television ad thats squarely targeted at the pre-established audience and advertises them during niche cable TV shows that 'fit the demographic!'. They are quickly forgotten. People go around singing arab money because of GTA commercials. O the other hand, I don't remember a damned thing about The Conduit commercial right now.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Nobody remembers anything about the game either
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Oh god, I just had a vision of those hideous character models all dancing to a Feist song
püp

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Oh god, I just had a vision of those hideous character models all dancing to a Feist song

Apple Published Wii game sold by Feist? You'd buy two dozen copies.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I don't see many game commercials on TV. Could be that I don't watch the channels/shows that run them.

I did see one for Bayonetta on New Year's Eve.

I see them all the time, but I watch FX, Comedy Central, Adult Swim, etc. All of those channels obviously cater to a young, hip demo that buys videogames and hip hop records and baggy pants.
PSP

OptimoPeach

I remember the excellent box art
hi5

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator

[youtube=560,345]OWGTA9w4OD8[/youtube]
fat

OptimoPeach

If I were wittier I could probably make a joke about how merely touching Wii discs gives you puberty voice
hi5

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
that kid is so disappointed by his own unboxing.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Nintendo fans always have a laundry list of excuses as to why quality mature titles (I hate using the word mature) from a third party tank.  Meanwhile, a game like Carnival Games has fuck all for advertising and racks up hundreds of thousands of sales.
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

Apple Published Wii game sold by Feist? You'd buy two dozen copies.

It's still the Conduit, though.
püp

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

cool breeze

As someone really hyped for Madworld and tried to like it more because of that, I can say now looking back at it that it wasn't very good game.  I liked it but it was essentially the same few minutes of fun over and over again for four hours, then the game ends.  Still had really nice style (with music that really set the mood) and enjoyable boss battles.

I forgot who made the comparison, but someone likened it to Dead Rising more than a beat em up and I'd agree.  But Dead Rising had you doing other things while racking up points and killing zombies.  MadWorld was just scoring high, and it didn't give you a reason to care about that score.

And if someone wants to blame third party for not giving a shit about the wii, blame Nintendo.  If they made the hardware comparable to the other two, then the Wii would get scraps like the Gamecube did last gen.  Now it doesn't even get scraps from the PSP/PS2 (and vice versa).  The audience for "hardcore" wii games are on the Xbox 360, and devs are able to make the same game for that, the PS3, and PC.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:08:13 PM by swaggaz »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
As someone really hyped for Madworld and tried to like it more because of that, I can say now looking back at it that it wasn't very good game.  I liked it but it was essentially the same few minutes of fun over and over again for four hours, then the game ends.  Still had really nice style (with music that really set the mood) and enjoyable boss battles.

I forgot who made the comparison, but someone likened it to Dead Rising more than a beat em up and I'd agree.  But Dead Rising had you doing other things while racking up points and killing zombies.  MadWorld was just scoring high, and it didn't give you a reason to care about that score.

And if someone wants to blame third party for not giving a shit about the wii, blame Nintendo.  If they made the hardware comparable to the other two, then the Wii would get scraps like the Gamecube did last gen.  Now it doesn't even get scraps from the PSP/PS2 (and vice versa).  The audience for "hardcore" wii games are on the Xbox 360, and devs are able to make the same game for that, the PS3, and PC.

Told you it sucked
fat

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal

[youtube=560,345]OWGTA9w4OD8[/youtube]

God I fucking hate "unboxing" videos
I think I'll make a series of unboxing videos of nothing but me opening up my junk mail.
Tacos

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
would watch

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Well then I'll have to get on that!
Tacos

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

michael cera redeemed
püp

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
I liked MadWorld. But, ignoring the length issue, the biggest problem was that they needed to make Jack's movement more fluid or faster or something. Once you starting replaying levels to get higher scores, it became clear the game's combat mechanics were about moving around the environment, herding enemy mobs near enough to a high-scoring kill device and some weapons to rack up massive combos, then quickly getting to the next set. Yet Jack just sorta jogs all over the place and slowly drags grabbed enemies around.

When you're replaying a level you'd gotten to know pretty well, eventually it started to all flow from one combo to the next from reflex, but it probably would have been better if they had some kind of system where combos would give you temporary speed and range boosts.
wtc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator

God I fucking hate "unboxing" videos
I think I'll make a series of unboxing videos of nothing but me opening up my junk mail.

I would watch if you just breathed heavily as you did it.
fat

M3wThr33

Sega is dumb. But are third party "mature" titles failing on the Wii because of dumb decisions in general? I don't think so.

In terms of Sega though, The Conduit was supposed to be a big Wii shooter. It got decent reviews and had Wii owners salivating. It bombed because it catered to a niche group of Wii owners - mature shooter fans. Remember all the talk about the Wii revolutionizing the FPS? lol

If you want to make money on the Wii you better make a Wii Sports rip off, or a party game, or an exercise game cheaper than Wii Fit.

Exactly. Let's put this in other terms.

What is one of the top selling games 3rd-party on the Wii?

Carnival Games. Have you even seen footage of that game? I sure as fuck haven't and I'm willing to bet no one else buying it did. They bought it simply because they're a Wii owner that thinks skeeball is a sport up there with the rest.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
I think people who hold out for a mature Wii breakthrough title are forgetting that wii owners just don't buy games/get excited for upcoming shit.  They aren't looking for tons of games.  Mario Kart/Wii Fit sells a trillion copies and casuals are satiated for the gen.  They'll pick up a new game in a year or two...and it'll be another Nintendo title.  Third parties don't know how to time it/tap into it.  or they simply can't, because they aren't nintendo.  A breakthrough mature title isn't even an issue; it's not waiting to be made.  I'm not even sure a Nintendo-made/marketed mature title would make much a splash.

Powerslave

bla bla bla b la a babl abb labbla

drew

• sy
^pretty much what he said

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Hey, does anyone remember that site where white people complain about shit?
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
The way I see it, the Nuclear family will probably get a game that's bundled, a game that advertised on Opera (or any "event" game that's hyped nationally) and ends up renting games for their children. Its a gamer that makes his own disposable income that will put down $40-$60 new releases.
:9

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Opera lol
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Jesus :(

Why can't Google spellcheck via context! Wrrrryyyyyyy

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Okay, I submitted a "complaint" I saw on Facebook to whitewhine.com, which was from my very-well-off uncle:

[Uncle's Name] wants to know why children's ski clothing is soooo expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PSP

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
http://www.womenwithmustaches.com/

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
püp

OptimoPeach

I've seen some of the sickest shit the internet has to offer but that site is a serious gut-check.

I saw a chick with a huge one the other day - why dont they just shave them off?  I dont get it.
Yeah I really don't know. I stopped going to the Burger King across the street from my old job after I noticed the lady working there had fucking dangly-ass chin hairs (think Mr. Eko's goatee, only much less thick) and I couldn't stop thinking about one of them dropping into my Whopper :(
hi5

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
http://www.womenwithmustaches.com/the_staches/girl1.jpg

You know BN fapped to this hipster bullshit
fat

OptimoPeach

That looks like the nerdling girl from GAF that Junpei was lusting over. I think she actually registered here and everyone made fun of her mustache :lol
hi5

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #1000 on: January 05, 2010, 03:05:12 AM »
looks like applemilk
püp

etiolate

Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #1001 on: January 05, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »
never heard of her

one of my first gfs had a hint of stache, ain't no thang

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
That looks like the nerdling girl from GAF that Junpei was lusting over. I think she actually registered here and everyone made fun of her mustache :lol

Shit find that and submit it to the site LMAO
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
The one with the stache is where shes holding the lightsaber dildo. It was posted on here by someone
fat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
never heard of her

one of my first gfs had a hint of stache, ain't no thang

as long as she likes nintendo, amirite

and i hope mojo doesn't click on that link and then browse that thread :(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:03:33 AM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

etiolate

lennedsay coming here in spite of the stalking is impressive

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
my PMs were that charming
AMC

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
[youtube=560,345]e5rDnSeRzwA   [/youtube]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
[youtube=560,345]e5rDnSeRzwA   [/youtube]

It's cool for a mobile device but looks pretty crappy compared to Natal etc, no?
vjj

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
I saw a chick with a huge one the other day - why dont they just shave them off?  I dont get it.

It grows back thicker! Gotta nuke it from orbit.
wha

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
couple of laser treatment will do the trick.

GilloD

http://www.karmaloop.com/vendor.aspx?VendorCode=MNR&bysex=1

My awesome talented ex-roommate got a few shirts printed. I like the NSFW Think Big one. I remember when he was drawing these! Anyway, buy one if you're in the market. Swine Flu is pretty clever.
wha

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
[youtube=560,345]sqCleCqL3SY  [/youtube]

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
When I was in government subsidized day care, we'd frequently be put in a group with the special ed kids that the parents dumped on the school during the summer days.  The person who oversaw them was some 300 lb woman beast with facial hair that puts mine to shame.  It was frightening.

I'm guessing if a chick has a 'stache, they've pretty much given up on life.  Although the hipster chick with the mustache confuses me because despite their tendency to rummage through Goodwill and other "vintage" stores, they're all about image.
🍆🍆

GilloD

[youtube=560,345]sqCleCqL3SY  [/youtube]

Having grown up in local hardcore, I can honestly say I haven't laughed that hard in months. My wife told me to shut up.
wha

Jansen

It was posted in the outside link thread. I'm searching it now, but 1000 pages is a lot.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #1016 on: January 05, 2010, 08:24:28 AM »
I'm on that girl's facebook.  She's nice, and I think she's pretty, too.  That weird picture aside (why she'd post that, I'd never know).

Didn't realize EB had been so mean to her.  You guys are dicks.  :-\
PS4

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I'm on that girl's facebook.  She's nice, and I think she's pretty, too.  That weird picture aside (why she'd post that, I'd never know).

Didn't realize EB had been so mean to her.  You guys are dicks.  :-\

Someone posted that she had a nice prostate, and she never came back.
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Well, yeah, you guys were calling her a man and shit.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS
PS4

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #1019 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
That weird picture aside (why she'd post that, I'd never know).

looks shopped
nat