Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780836 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
MR BIG BUDDY > MANDARK
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #1501 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »
With the whole proliferation of American media Internationally and seeing as how the company who created the advert must be savvy enough (they usually are), I doubt "Blacks lovin' the fried chicken" is a secret stereotype that only rears its head in America. Sure its probably the most prevalent there but absolving that commercial because of that is crazy.

No, it's one that arose specifically in the United States.

Americans need get over ourselves and stop assuming that other countries share all of our cultural tics.  Maybe there's evidence that a similar thing exists in the West Indies, but until I see that, why assume everything carries the same connotations to other people that it does to us?

With the whole proliferation of American media Internationally and seeing as how the company who created the advert must be savvy enough (they usually are), I doubt "Blacks lovin' the fried chicken" is a secret stereotype that only rears its head in America. Sure its probably the most prevalent there but absolving that commercial because of that is crazy.
KFC sponsors the West Indies team, and they have sponsored a large cricket tournament there.  Obviously KFC and West Indies cricket are linked.  Fucking youtube.

:'(

I don't know, the tripping point for me is this white dude giving them all the fried chicken, it just makes me pause and think about it. But I guess I can see something being lost in translation but even then its a case of an International company having to watch out how they're portrayed (via commercials) in other markets... that shit'll come back around.
:9

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Roy Rogers > the debate between Popeye's and KFC

fixins

:drool
Tonya

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
I give up now.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
So basically, BlueTsunami is a shithead racist?
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I won't lie, I be hatin'

Fresh Prince

Blue's problem is that he loves too much.

Himu

Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #1507 on: January 11, 2010, 11:19:55 PM »

No, it's one that arose specifically in the United States.

Americans need get over ourselves and stop assuming that other countries share all of our cultural tics.  Maybe there's evidence that a similar thing exists in the West Indies, but until I see that, why assume everything carries the same connotations to other people that it does to us?

KFC sponsors the West Indies team, and they have sponsored a large cricket tournament there.  Obviously KFC and West Indies cricket are linked.  Fucking youtube.

:'(

I don't know, the tripping point for me is this white dude giving them all the fried chicken, it just makes me pause and think about it. But I guess I can see something being lost in translation but even then its a case of an International company having to watch out how they're portrayed (via commercials) in other markets... that shit'll come back around.

I feel the same way, but that doesn't really make it racist or racially insensitive. It's just our American culture telling us it is.
IYKYK

Costanza

can someone hook me up with a bitgamer invite?

archie4208

Batman, Torchlight and Trials HD made the top 20 so I can't bitch to much about GAF's list.  Obviously a PS3 exclusive was gonna win since stards are insecure about their console and need to prove that UNCHARTED 2 IS TEH BESTESTS GAME EVAR RAWR!!!!!

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1510 on: January 12, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
Batman shoulda won  :'(
püp

Fresh Prince

Blackace is an idiot from that KFC thread.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1512 on: January 12, 2010, 01:36:45 AM »
I don't doubt that they had racism against blacks and vaudeville blackface even at one point in Australia but what reason would KFC or any of the people working on the commercial have to piss off black people?  They're (supposedly good) customers.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
can someone hook me up with a bitgamer invite?

why, so you can fuck and leave? gtfo

Beezy

What's bitgamer?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
What's bitgamer?

Something that no doubt saves Costanza money.
AMC

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1516 on: January 12, 2010, 02:16:51 AM »
What the fuck does he even do?  Wasn't he the guy who's gotten like almost all the Rock Band DLC?

And he likes new Weezer, that puts him on a level with omg rite
püp

BobFromPikeCreek

He likes every single television show that has ever aired.
zzzzz

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1518 on: January 12, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »
Leave Costanza alone!

He's cool in my book.

Phoenix Dark

anyone who only posts on EB to ask for stuff ain't cool in my book yo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I never really understood the point of EB trying to scare off members.  The board was a virtual desert for much of last year because all but a half dozen or so regulars left the boards for various reasons.

I mean, you don't have to suck their dicks for posting here between GAF bannings but I don't get chasing them off.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]riDukz4XzDk[/youtube]
How is she 50 lol

black don't crack  :bow2

Didn't like the song the first time I heard it, but it's grown on me a lot; still think replacing the guitar with...something else would make it way better

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

[youtube=560,345]EhnRtgBGMl4[/youtube]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1523 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:16 AM »
Roy Rogers > the debate between Popeye's and KFC

Roy Rogers is still around?   :o
ど助平

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am

:rofl OMG I just realised which fucking ad they were talking about. God damn people are morons. They're doing a bunch of Cricket ads and KFC have sponsored the cricket for years. Just so happens the West Indies are touring this year.

Lucky they didn't pick Pakistan fans for the ad. ::)
itm

treythemovie

ohohoho, the "beta" version of the gaf vote thread really did end up being representative of the final result. I knew there was no point in voting  :lol

The original thread's results: http://www.evilbore.com/forum/index.php?topic=6017.msg995568#msg995568

etiolate

« Reply #1526 on: January 12, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
jump tip pass is mostly gone from the game now

I think the speed and athleticism of today would make some of those passes turnovers.

Kings tried to bring it back, but Stern don't like no passing white folk in his league!

OptimoPeach

Ahh, the days of NBA when you could sneeze on someone without getting called for a flagrant.

edit: Hey etiolate, HOW BOUT DAT EVANS? I'm embarrassed that I was actually upset when the Kings picked him over Rubio in the draft :lol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:05:14 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1528 on: January 12, 2010, 05:14:52 AM »

I think the speed and athleticism of today would make some of those passes turnovers.

I don't see how athleticism would come into play. With the quick release of those passes, it's all about reaction time and wingspan. A defensive player doesn't have enough time to react with his legs.

Also, the 80s weren't the 50s. Wilkins, Drexler, and Jordan et al. were pretty athletic.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1529 on: January 12, 2010, 05:27:38 AM »

they sponsored the New Zealand team for a couple of years in the late 90's, when we were a bit hard up for sponsorship. The commericals on tv were awesome

magus

• LIKES FF7
the GAF Goty list isn't too bad compared to others, but it's still driven by popularist sentiment and sfag leanings and therefore binnable :

ODST is pretty average, but it's STILL better than Killzone 2. MW2 SP is short, completely dumb as a story and AGAIN absolutely fucking mullers Killzone 2 and that's before we get to MW2 lack of controller lag, MW2s online coop, MW2s online versus.
Pixel Junk Shooter is better than Futari for best shooter? not in a billion trillion zillion years.
Flower is on the list in any category at all? Wait, it wins BEST ADVENTURE?! fuckkkkkkkkk
And funniest of all...
Punchout! (an absolute shitfest of a game) wins best sports title with sports resort second? in a year that saw an MLB The Show game? and an even better Fifa? and NHL 10?

punchout is great but a sports game? really?
<----

etiolate

« Reply #1531 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
Ahh, the days of NBA when you could sneeze on someone without getting called for a flagrant.

edit: Hey etiolate, HOW BOUT DAT EVANS? I'm embarrassed that I was actually upset when the Kings picked him over Rubio in the draft :lol

If Reke gets a jumpshot, then it could be glory days. He's already into the Havoc idea.

etiolate

« Reply #1532 on: January 12, 2010, 07:10:25 AM »

I don't see how athleticism would come into play. With the quick release of those passes, it's all about reaction time and wingspan. A defensive player doesn't have enough time to react with his legs.

Also, the 80s weren't the 50s. Wilkins, Drexler, and Jordan et al. were pretty athletic.

I have thought that Jordan would have a tougher time in today's NBA. A lot of those lob passes that Bird throws are passes I see get picked off in todays game. The recovery time, as long as they aren't lazy, is much quicker. As impressive as Wilkins was, Lebron is probably on yet another level and the levels below him fall to formerly 'great' athletic levels.  The real difference is in skill and basketball wits.

OptimoPeach

If Reke gets a jumpshot, then it could be glory days. He's already into the Havoc idea.
I have no doubt he will, he's got plenty of time to improve. I'm more curious to see what they decide to do with Martin if things keep going the way they are.

Also, RVCA is a pretty big MMA sponsor and he was at the WEC event in Arco last night, so it looks like he's an MMA fan as well. :bow Reke :bow2
hi5

etiolate

I don't think Martin and Reke work together well. It kind of lacks a setup guy, and as an attacker, I think Reke is better or tougher to stop. If you had another guy who could be the pass first guy with them, then it could work. They just grabbed Hilton Armstrong for nothing, which may be like a rental trial before the trade deadline. The Kings need a 'compliment' player and an athletic, defensive big man. Beyond that, its just time and experience.

Himu

« Reply #1535 on: January 12, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
the GAF Goty list isn't too bad compared to others, but it's still driven by popularist sentiment and sfag leanings and therefore binnable :

ODST is pretty average, but it's STILL better than Killzone 2. MW2 SP is short, completely dumb as a story and AGAIN absolutely fucking mullers Killzone 2 and that's before we get to MW2 lack of controller lag, MW2s online coop, MW2s online versus.
Pixel Junk Shooter is better than Futari for best shooter? not in a billion trillion zillion years.
Flower is on the list in any category at all? Wait, it wins BEST ADVENTURE?! fuckkkkkkkkk
And funniest of all...
Punchout! (an absolute shitfest of a game) wins best sports title with sports resort second? in a year that saw an MLB The Show game? and an even better Fifa? and NHL 10?

punchout is great but a sports game? really?

I guess games like SSX and Tony Hawk aren't sports games either.
IYKYK

etiolate

EA Big sort of dropped off the face of the earth with next gen.  As did my interest in EA. Funny how that is!

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #1537 on: January 12, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
I have thought that Jordan would have a tougher time in today's NBA.
With the current hand check rule?  :lol

Look, the average height of an NBA player hasn't changed in two decades and there isn't a two guard in the game as quick or as fast as Jordan. I don't see what has changed since Jordan's prime. If Kobe Bryant was able to score 35 per game during a season, I don't see why a player with bigger hands, quicker feet, and a higher vertical leap would have any trouble. Hell, a 38 year-old Jordan averaged 23/6/5 in 03.

Where are the great NBA centers? Jordan played in era with Hakeem, Robinson, and Ewing.

A lot of those lob passes that Bird throws are passes I see get picked off in todays game. The recovery time, as long as they aren't lazy, is much quicker. As impressive as Wilkins was, Lebron is probably on yet another level and the levels below him fall to formerly 'great' athletic levels.  The real difference is in skill and basketball wits.
Unless a defensive player anticipates those passes, he can't react quick enough. Mental reaction time hasn't changed.
Anyway, if the defensive players are more athletic, it would only stand to reason that the offensive players are too--THEY'RE THE SAME PLAYERS! Those passes Bird threw would be thrown higher of further.

Yes LeBron is a freak. Wilt was a freak. It didn't make the early 60s a super athletic league.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Batman, Torchlight and Trials HD made the top 20 so I can't bitch to much about GAF's list.  Obviously a PS3 exclusive was gonna win since stards are insecure about their console and need to prove that UNCHARTED 2 IS TEH BESTESTS GAME EVAR RAWR!!!!!

Wow, I never even heard of Torchlight and Trials HD. What am I missing?
^_^

Himu

« Reply #1539 on: January 12, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »
[youtube=560,345]70WJemBVLHQ[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]m_Oj0-splZw[/youtube]
 :lol

IYKYK

Himu

WHUT YOU KNOW BOUT DAT CHRISTIAN SIDE HUG
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1541 on: January 12, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »
For Maurice:

[youtube=560,345]5jnMVxz662A[/youtube]
IYKYK

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
うぐう

Himu

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19260866&postcount=7

worst poster on GAF by far.

Following his advice basically means giving up on anime completely. And THAT'S THE PROBLEM.
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19204738&postcount=6803
Someone tell this guy he has atrocious taste in wine.

I would volunteer, but I've had Chinese wine.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
Might have spent $10, most of which is tax.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1548 on: January 12, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
Which one is the shitty wine, the Krug or whatever?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1549 on: January 12, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »
would you drink them for free or are they just horrible?  what's actually worth criticising about them?

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
 :drool @ the Seattle coffee stores.

Might need to visit Seattle soon.
XDF

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1551 on: January 12, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »
I see, I have no idea what any of that means but it sounds serious.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1552 on: January 12, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »
 :tophat
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1553 on: January 12, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »
I see, I have no idea what any of that means but it sounds serious.

I think he's saying Ornellaia would ride at the back of the bus

Himu

IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Morgan Freeman is so awesome.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Want to gif that headshake :lol
AMC