Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780915 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
this shouldn't be lost in the Idol thread

itm

Rman

He'll do alright and he'll get further work. Hopefully all the vitriol at him makes him write a better script next time.
What vitriol?  You mean the reviews?

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
He'll take the reviews on the chin, or rather he should. More like internet posters just being spiteful.

Rman

He'll take the reviews on the chin, or rather he should. More like internet posters just being spiteful.
You think he's taking what some random posters on NeoGAF think about the script seriously?  He's a big boy, I'm sure he'll be fine.  I haven't seen the Book of Eli, but if someone can have their dream of writing films realized, it's hard to shit on that, regardless of the what anyone thinks of the film.  It's a pretty cool actually.  How many writers even can say that they've had their script greenlit by a major studio?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:02:56 PM by Rman »

Fresh Prince

Just the sheer number of people shitting on him would be hard to take though. But he asked for it by trying to use gaf as a marketing device.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Maaaan, some of the sniping at Whitta feels unjustified. You hate his script/scenario, you hate it but some of the angry snark just feels creepily overbearing. Gotta tear a brotha' down. With that said, he sort of brought this on himself with the personal one man forum marketing.
:9

Rman

Just the sheer number of people shitting on him would be hard to take though. But he asked for it by trying to use gaf as a marketing device.
I'm sure he'll be fine, Fresh Prince :lol

Blue, I still think it was a smart move to promote the film on GAF, where he has some cachet and is a well known poster. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:06:57 PM by Rman »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

I liked it. Will watch it a second time (maybe tonight *AD) just because of the twist. Has a definite Sixth Sense kind of tug that's pulling me me back to see the movie from a different perspective.

Great work Gary Whitta, I thoroughly enjoyed the film! Look forward to your future work!

Also, I loved the movie!

It's powerful, it touched me, and it moved me. It started this decade in movies off to a superb start in my personal, and I hope it gets recognized by those that "matter" in the long run, screw the haters. I said I'll keep it short, so that's all I will say for now. Superb, absolutely superb.

Great job Witta! Me and my wife liked the movie a lot!

fucking loved the movie including the soundtrack

Very inspiring

just got back from watching the film and i loved it

Saw the film this afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed it, then the twist blew my mind. Fucking awsome Mr. Whitta. I'll be recommending this to everyone at work tomorrow.

Best post-apocalyptic film I've ever seen.The kind of film I'd like to have done myself.

I might go see this again. And I'm there day one for the Blu-Ray.

Now if you'll excuse me. I'll put on Al Green and rate this a 100% on rotten tomatoes.

Gary Whitta. You are amazing.

Congrats again Gary, hopefully we get more from you soon.

Gary's probably crying into his pillow right now.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I should go full neutral and post

:greenshinobi "I'm am so neutral about your movie, Gary. I don't know what to think but I want you to know that I watched it"

And man, seeing a bunch of dudes call someone they don't even really talk with on the board itself by his first name is just awkward.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #1990 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
Gary's an established writer. At this point, there's nothing anyone on the Internet could say that could hurt his feelings. So some random guy hates your film? Who cares. His agent's phone was probably ringing non-stop once The Book of Eli dethroned Avatar last Friday.

I think he'll be just fine. I envy him. We all should.
PSP

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

:greenshinobi "I'm am so neutral about your movie, Gary. I don't know what to think but I want you to know that I watched it"

I saw your movie 1.5 times.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

And man, seeing a bunch of dudes call someone they don't even really talk with on the board itself by his first name is just awkward.

His forum name is "Gary Whitta", what else are people supposed to call him? Mr. Whitta?  :lol
dog

Fresh Prince

I was ignorant. I did not follow the GAF thread only the negative posts that were linked here!

Any way numbers, people numbers. But yeah the lone internet critic wouldn't be anything he would've of copped worse IRL.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Her
« Reply #1994 on: January 17, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
The Book of Eli touched me in a way that I only thought Catholic priests can.
PSP

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
itm

Rman

Quote from: Gary Whitta
Wow, not cool with the unmarked spoilers.
Quote from: Snowden
Wow, not cool with the shitty movie.
:rofl
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:35:26 PM by Rman »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

His forum name is "Gary Whitta", what else are people supposed to call him? Mr. Whitta?  :lol

Shit! That's right :lol  :'(

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #1998 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »
I call him by his Hollywood street name, "G-Whit".
PSP

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1999 on: January 17, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »
I call him by his Hollywood street name, "G-Whit".

:lol :lol :lol

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
the latest page of the hot girl thread actually has a winner on it. truly surprised.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19330604&postcount=3858

would be even better if her chest was a little smaller.
nat

DJ_Tet

I like that defending drunk driving didn't get lsslave banned, but unmarked Eli spoilers did.

:lol

You missed a shot on Amirox in that thread.  I bumped it but I don't think anyone saw it.  He said his buddy started drinking 2 hours into the party (the DD) and that Ami was so concerned about getting his friend home that he 'stopped drinking at 11 to sober up.'

That doesn't explain the three hours that came in between those two events.  Ami was so concerned about everything that he just kept drinking for three hours...

Fantastic thread though, I hate I missed it the first time around.  I love hypocritical gaf mods.
TIT

DJ_Tet

So apparently Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins is REALLY good at guitar.

I had no idea. I always thought he was like a slightly more skilled version of Kurt Cobain. But check out this video. It's mindless shredding for sure, but it shows that a huge degree of technical skill is there.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

I wonder what other guitarists are actually way better than their albums would indicate.

wtf is this shit?

You need to listen to Siamese Dream again (and not just the singles.)  There are some hard ass and fantastic solos on the back side of that album.  Corgan was always known as way more skilled technically than Cobain, he's probably more skilled than Jeff Ament imo.
TIT

DJ_Tet

I misspoke, I'm not that versed on Pearl Jam.  I only really cared for their first two albums and I can never remember McCready's name.

Billy Corgan is rumored to have recorded the whole album of Siamese Dream by himself.  Upon checking Wikipedia it seems that Chamberlin did indeed do all the drum parts but often in rehersals Corgan had to take over as Chamberlin was getting massively addicted to heroin.  He also pissed off bandmates Iha and Darcy by overdubbing their sessions with his own 'perfect' takes.

Corgan definitely was one of the most talented performers of the 'grunge' era. 
TIT

etiolate

seeing pj live would make you seriously reconsider putting corgan over mccreedy

DJ_Tet

Yeah I should qualify that I was talking about creative energy put into song and album and not pure live technical ability.  To be fair though Corgan has to sing live so he has more going on in a live environment.

But unfortunately I never saw PJ live.  I did see SP live but I was less than impressed as Corgan sounded horrible.  Found out later he was having big throat issues but it definitely clouded my judgment of the band as a whole. 
TIT

Green Shinobi

Who would you guys pick between McCready, Cantrell, Corgan and Thayil?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
LOL @ Green Shinobi's new status.  I saw that his name was colored the same as a mod's which made me go WTF.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

E-DuB

They all have chops but I'd still take McCready over those guys

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #2011 on: January 18, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »
They all have chops but I'd still take McCready over those guys
Thayil, fo sho.

I'm so fucking hyped for the Soundgarden reunion.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
I'd go Corgan, Thayil, Cantrell, and then McCready.

Love him or hate him, Corgan is just a technical marvel. I'd say the same to a slightly lesser extent about Thayil, due to his creative usage of alternate tunings plus his proficiency. Cantrell is an excellent guitar player/songwriter, and I put him behind Thayil only really based on preference of styles.

McCready goes last for me for a couple of reasons, but the biggest is that back in the day, he never wrote any of the songs, just wrote their solos. This may have changed somewhat in more recent years, but back when Ten and Vs. came out, I just feel the other folks on that list were accomplishing more. Not really knocking his abilities though, he's a great live performer and puts together some great solos (sometimes on the fly!), so it's easy to see why some would take him higher on the list.
fek

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
It's hard to argue with that. Well said.
©ZH

M3wThr33

message board nostalgia  :-\

Man, I remember being all cool shit on the ezBoards.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19344757&postcount=118

Name dropping teh bore still a :wag I see.
Who are they callin weird?  >:(

:bow Massive Action Forum
jon

archie4208

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #2017 on: January 18, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
8/10

:o

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
6/10

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
8/10
AMC

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2020 on: January 18, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
5/10

Himu

6/10
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2022 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
3/10

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Does anybody have that link to that Evilbore/NeoGaf gay subtext/banning self made vid?

[youtube=560,345]bk29hsx8Pig[/youtube]

Brehvolution

You need to find a way to make money off those, Malek. You are good at making them.  :lol :lol
©ZH

M3wThr33

People still harbor a hate toward Square needing more than 8MB of space.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19347443&postcount=37

Pokemon avatar. Could've guessed.

elektrikluv

Hey now!  >:(

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
うぐう

M3wThr33

Hey now!  >:(

It's a liability. No shame in having it until it makes someone go "Oh, THAT'S why."

M3wThr33

I'd just love to know what the reason for the ban is.

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
wtc

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2032 on: January 18, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
thread rawks.  makes me love EB all over again  :heartbeat

Fresh Prince

Greatness Gone was good value.  :'(

Brehvolution

« Reply #2034 on: January 18, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
True. We got all the good ones.
©ZH

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
did GG really off himself or something? or is he in TVC's basement somewhere?
うぐう

Fresh Prince

GG I'm pretty sure was soembody's alt/joke.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
No, he wasn't. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's dead

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2038 on: January 18, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19343425&postcount=62

Triumph eviscerated to the next milky way...
fat

Fresh Prince

No, he wasn't. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's dead
Really?