Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1781074 times)

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
I tried to read past the part where etiolate's beautiful soul transcended time and history, but I was blinded by the piercing white light that shattered through my computer monitor.  

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Quote from: etoilate
I warn you, people have tried the mocking route with me before and it hasn't worked out well for them.

Oh sweet Jesus :lol
PSP

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Quote from: etoilate
I warn you, people have tried the mocking route with me before and it hasn't worked out well for them.

Oh sweet Jesus :lol

Mocking etoilate in the year 2009 is the historical equivalent of rolling dice for Jesus' clothes as he died on the cross for you sins.
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
:rofl @ EVERYTHING
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator

Fox's Spaced Pilot
fat

Barry Egan

hey it's Will Sasso!  I like that guy.

Beezy

etoilate :-\

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
ludology: games as a system of rules and rewards, games studied as games
narratology: games as through the established analysis of narratives pre-existing before games

narrative in ludology: the rules of the game relate a narrative
cinematic narrative: games should pursue story telling along the lines of other media like film

Marshall McLuhlan vs Kojima

Tetris vs Heavy Rain

Though I find Heavy Rain interesting because it openly says its not exactly a videogame.

I also discussed in the thread the need to legitimize games as art so you don't end up with something like the comics code. I tried to open up talks on social responsibility for the images depicted in games. Why these two things relate. Comics, like games, faced extra scrutiny for being sold to kids. Ended up with a weird set of self enforced censorship. Washington spent hours discussing how gay sidekicks were, etc.

I'm not great at cliff notes. Most of the time I'm fighting people who want games to be toys and be allowed certain exceptionalism from the responsibilities and proving grounds that other forms of media have had to go through.

WTF is that.

You so crazy etiolate.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Anyone feel like etoilate is transforming into am nintenho?
PSP

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389168

I'm so tempted to do a "so abortion keeps criminals off the streets joke :drake" but it would look racist without the drake emoticon.
Drunk

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
AMC

Beezy

"Did that look funny?"

:lol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:21:34 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
^I saw a lower-res version of that yesterday that was much more convincing because you couldn't see the bra.
Anyone feel like etoilate is transforming into am nintenho?
how so?  I usually openly troll.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Aaaand the Other M thread got locked anyway.

Not really surprising. The fanfiction in the thread was taking into a very, very dark place.
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
what's this guy from:

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Isn't that Donald Sutherland from Invasion of the Body Snatchers?
PSP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
what's this guy from:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's from the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1978]:

[youtube=560,345]na2W38tLp_Q[/youtube]
dog

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
whoa, maybe I need to see that movie now :lol 

I always imagined him saying "Yoouuuuuuuuuu!" in a really goofy voice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
whoa, maybe I need to see that movie now :lol 

It's a really good movie, very creepy.
dog

Akala

• Easy Victor
I haven't been to gaf in ages. just stumbled on the cheeseburger thread. pretty cool and vaguely entertaining.

I was kind of :o for a sec when shidoshi posted. I've always liked him. well, I guess her now.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
I haven't been to gaf in ages. just stumbled on the cheeseburger thread. pretty cool and vaguely entertaining.

I was kind of :o for a sec when shidoshi posted. I've always liked him. well, I guess her now.

Wrath seems to be participating a lot in that thread, I think is safe to say that we found a backup PD  :-*

wow, how come Hollywood and etiolate weren't lepered in that prop 8 thread? thats the most embarrassing shit I have seen on these boards so far.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:16:27 PM by Diunx »
Drunk

etiolate

narratology: games as through the established analysis of narratives pre-existing before games

cinematic narrative: games should pursue story telling along the lines of other media like film

Tetris vs Heavy Rain

Though I find Heavy Rain interesting because it openly says its not exactly a videogame.

I also discussed in the thread the need to legitimize games as art so you don't end up with something like the comics code. I tried to open up talks on social responsibility for the images depicted in games. Why these two things relate. Comics, like games, faced extra scrutiny for being sold to kids. Ended up with a weird set of self enforced censorship. Washington spent hours discussing how gay sidekicks were, etc.

I'm not great at cliff notes. Most of the time I'm fighting people who want games to be toys and be allowed certain exceptionalism from the responsibilities and proving grounds that other forms of media have had to go through.

WTF is that.

You so crazy etiolate.

it's research yo

There's some interesting books on the stuff.

I've been told that my manner of speaking doesn't translate to online text or that people's interpretation of my writing is influenced by the online environment, so that which sounds thoughtful and insightful in person comes out as condescending and combative online.

Mupepe

• Icon

Lexi and I used to exchange PM's a lot and there was a lot flirting :lol 

Needless to say I was pretty shocked when I read the thread

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive

Tetris vs Heavy Rain

WTF is that.

You so crazy etiolate.

it's research yo

There's some interesting books on the stuff.

I've been told that my manner of speaking doesn't translate to online text or that people's interpretation of my writing is influenced by the online environment, so that which sounds thoughtful and insightful in person comes out as condescending and combative online.

are there any books on game studies yet?  or anything on what you were saying about comic book narratives? 

I'd be doing something with critical/cultural studies/theory if I weren't in law school.  as of now, I just live vicariously through my friends who are, instead.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

Lexi and I used to exchange PM's a lot and there was a lot flirting :lol 

Needless to say I was pretty shocked when I read the thread

Jesus Christ, do you hit on everything on the internet?
AMC

OptimoPeach

cheeseburgers creep me out :-X
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd still take a BJ
[close]
hi5

etiolate

Comic book narratives? This perhaps:

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. A comic about comics. It gets into the space between frames, sequentiality, the issue of time as conveyed through comics and mediation within comics.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Comics-Invisible-Scott-Mccloud/dp/006097625X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267675143&sr=1-1

For videogame stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Video-Games-Essential-Introduction/dp/0415977215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267675729&sr=1-1

This is a general overview of games, but it does have a chapter on narrative. The early chapter on the various theories on games is worth reading. It includes guys like Henry Jenkins and Jasper Juul.

Which gets to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Mortal-Kombat-Gender-Computer/dp/0262531682/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267675648&sr=1-12

Worth reading if you're interested in gender in videogames. It is older, and there is another book around this time with gender discussion in it(which I can't remember the name of, but I remember it having Lara Croft on the cover) but they are both from the 90s. A more recent look is made in this book, which I have yet to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Barbie-Mortal-Kombat-Perspectives/dp/0262113198/ref=pd_sim_b_1

And a link to Jenkins' Game Design as Narrative Architecture

http://web.mit.edu/cms/People/henry3/games&narrative.html

Bildi

• AKA Bildo

I don't think you sound condescending or combative.  Just a bit insane, but most people do when they start going on about one of their personal passions.

Donono

[youtube=560,345]7S9Ew3TIeVQ[/youtube]

I didn't know Willco ran a Flower Shop.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
[youtube=560,345] oNCsVts-G_4  [/youtube]

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
zzz

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
AMC

Green Shinobi

I think I also suffer from this problem.  :-\

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

They have a name for this, you know.

It's aspergers.
[close]
dog

elektrikluv

They have a name for this, you know.

It's aspergers.
[close]

Wouldn't that be the other way round though? Well articulated thoughts online not translating well in person?

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
mmmm

ass burgers
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
ass burgers vs. ass pies

let's spin for it
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
if someone self-testifies as "insightful or thoughtful," chances are they're a pretentious douche -or- have a really nice mom. or they're an an ass pie. or they're simply a disgusting ninthing that should die in a chemical fire.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:07:08 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Barry Egan

tolerance  :wag

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
if someone self-testifies as "insightful or thoughtful," chances are they're a pretentious douche -or- have a really nice mom. or they're an an ass pie. or they're simply a disgusting ninthing that should die in a chemical fire.

i self identify as inciteful.
Tonya

OptimoPeach

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389304  ::) @ all the snobby snobs.

And a preemptive "fuck you" to any potential fast food elitists here
hi5

Himu

new dominoes pizza is my favorite chain pizza.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
goddamn i'm fucking hungry.

new dominoes pizza is my favorite chain pizza.

that's because you're black though

Himu

What's a better chain pizza?

Pizza Hut? :yuck I haven't been able to eat Pizza Hut regularly since working there.
Papa John's? Close but no cigar.
Cici's? LOL.

Dominoes reins supreme.

Now, chain pizza isn't IDEAL, but if I'm hungry and I don't care if I'm eating healthy or not, I'm ordering some Dominoes. Their new pizza is great. Also, they have PHILLY CHEESE STREAK PIZZA. How can you say no to that?
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
Pizza Hut is king.

Engineered cheese so that it expands 6 times its size :drool

Stuffed crust pizza with buffalo wings and then you get the crust and dip it in the buffalo sauce at the bottom of the wings box.  Sooo fucking good.  Oh god, their breadsticks.  Mmmmmmmm

Himu

The breadsticks are the best, I agree.

Maybe I'm jaded. When you work at Pizza Hut for like a year, you start to hate the place.
IYKYK

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
dap

Mupepe

• Icon
I worked there for like 2 and a half years!

Saint Cornelius

I worked at Pizza Hut in my youth... in fucking Hawaii of all places. I found it interesting that the Hawaiian pizza wasn't more popular.
dap

Mupepe

• Icon
that's because it's gross, SC!

pineapple on pizza is a fucking disgrace! 

Chicken and mushrooms though :drool

Jalapeno and Pepperoni :drool

Saint Cornelius

I'm actually fine with the pineapple on pizza action. Pineapple + ham + jalapenos = droolingemoticon

Actually jalapenos on anything is excellent!
dap

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
the other night, some friends and I got a dominos pizza with banana peppers and bacon.  Made the Dominos pretty palatable, though it was still like a salty, acidic cheese ball with a nice smoky bacon after taste. 

M3wThr33

What's a better chain pizza?

Pizza Hut? :yuck I haven't been able to eat Pizza Hut regularly since working there.
Papa John's? Close but no cigar.
Cici's? LOL.

Dominoes reins supreme.

Now, chain pizza isn't IDEAL, but if I'm hungry and I don't care if I'm eating healthy or not, I'm ordering some Dominoes. Their new pizza is great. Also, they have PHILLY CHEESE STREAK PIZZA. How can you say no to that?

Round Table. But they're a little more expensive and not close to where I live.

etiolate

Mountain Mike's too

Akala

• Easy Victor
oh my god if only this was 1996 again. this is fucking awesome.

http://www.miadidas.com/US/Main.action

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Whenever people bring up chain pizza, no one ever mentions East of Chicago. Are they not widespread? I feel like they are the best chain pizza you can get.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Whenever people bring up chain pizza, no one ever mentions East of Chicago. Are they not widespread? I feel like they are the best chain pizza you can get.

Never heard of it.
AMC