Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1781132 times)

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
 :derp art

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Games can certainly be influenced by an authorial voice and even include art within them, but the games themselves are not art.
:bow

Shake knows his art. Someone call me when a full playable video game is in a art museum sitting next to a Picasso.

I am but a student of the arts :pimp

drew

• sy
[youtube=560,345]dSUfN4vmYzc[/youtube]

ART?!!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art is art.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Games can certainly be influenced by an authorial voice and even include art within them, but the games themselves are not art.
:bow

Shake knows his art. Someone call me when a full playable video game is in a art museum sitting next to a Picasso.

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/ ???
^_^

Cheebs

edit: oops
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:33:16 AM by Cheebs »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
In 2012, gaming because art. :patel
dog

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/ ???

That article basically ignores the reasons most people who know their shit know that games aren't an art form. Just because one gallery says they might be to attract a wider audience to their exhibits doesn't make games art.

drew

• sy
[youtube=560,345]PZrUdCqlz2I[/youtube]

fart?

Cheebs

I hate anime, all anime but I recognize it is indeed art.  :-\

A Teletubbies episode is indeed a work of art. Ninja Gaiden 2 is not.

Art :smug

Cheebs

Teletubbies is mesmerizing.

Himu

So basically, cheebs and shake are full of shit.
IYKYK

So basically, cheebs and shake are full of shit.

How? Just because one museum is accepting games as art to boost revenue? Museums don't decide what art is, Himu.

Cheebs

Shigeru Miyamoto > Picasso

:miyamoto

Himu

No, your hypocrisy is why you are full of shit. You wanna be a snob? :smug

Be consistent. That's rule number one of art snobbery and you're currently bombing.
IYKYK

drew

• sy
i just farted irl

it kind of smells like gourds

Himu

During thanksgiving my farts smell like dressing.

poop brulee'.
IYKYK

Be consistent. That's rule number one of art snobbery and you're currently bombing.

I'm an art student and study various forms of art and art history. You play japanese games and get pissy when people tell you a hobby of yours isn't art. Who's the snob?

You can enjoy games all you want, but saying they are art while music you don't like isn't makes you sound like a moron who doesn't actually know what art is.

drew

• sy
during thanks giving i was in the hospital :-\

drew

• sy
how long have you been an art student shake?

if art school taught me anything it taught me that art is BULLSHIT

I'd like to ammend that last post and clarify that I mean art form. The form is what Ebert et all are discussing. Video games aren't an art form. There is no further discussion necessary, until game designers actually manage to invent a new form of expression.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I got my minor in art, this was a few years ago (2003), but what I remember is that, if placed in a specific context, anything can be art.

Do you think Marcel Duchamp's "The Fountain" is art?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_%28Duchamp%29

IMO, games are just as much an art form as movies and music (then again, I tend to prefer games to movies as far as media goes, anyways)
^_^

Himu

I'm an art student and study various forms of art and art history. You play japanese games and get pissy when people tell you a hobby of yours isn't art. Who's the snob?

You can enjoy games all you want, but saying they are art while music you don't like isn't makes you sound like a moron who doesn't actually know what art is.

Yes, you're the only art student around here. I like how you bring that up as if it's some argument.

I haven't gotten pissy. I merely call out bs when I see it. I don't care about the games are art debate, as I said before, because I don't need validation for me playing vidya games. You saying Brtney Spears is art while Super Mario Bros. isn't art because "video games aren't an art form" is hypocritical and preposterous.

Keep your shit consistent, Mr. Art Student, who really isn't the only "art student" on EB.
IYKYK

drew

• sy
Yes, you're the only art student around here.

uh

hello

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
i just farted irl

it kind of smells like gourds

Was it art?
©@©™

It's not an argument, I'm saying there's a difference between someone who has a factual understanding of the history of art and a snob. And someone who doesn't know what art is and just deems whatever he likes art. Art isn't about "what does Himu like?"

Himu

uh

hello

hi, i am an art student as well. are you an art student?
IYKYK

Cheebs

uh

hello
Being a student of having gay sex with ewan mcgreggor is in art school now?  :o

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I'm going to have to agree with Shake here. Modern gaming is full of things co-opted from art forms, such as big stories or musical scores. Their inclusion in a game does not change the fact that a game is just that, a game. Dungeons and Dragons has a story as well, and is quite creative. Is it art? The answer is clearly no, and the same should apply to chess, videogames, and other forms of gaming.

drew

• sy
i was but now the streets are my teacher :mrt

Himu, you couldn't be an art student, you literally don't know art when it's staring you in the face ::)

Go back to playing your games and please stop discussing art on these forums. It is a topic you clearly don't know much about.

drew

• sy
you still havent answered my question

how long have you been an art student

Himu

It's not an argument, I'm saying there's a difference between someone who has a factual understanding of the history of art and a snob. And someone who doesn't know what art is and just deems whatever he likes art. Art isn't about "what does Himu like?"

Your argument is getting really thin, here. Yes, you're the only one here with an art related degree, and you're such an expert in art history.

My argument before was not "what himu likes". I can not like something and still identify it as art. I know my limits.

I'm no hypocrite, unlike Mr. "EB's only art student".
IYKYK

Cheebs

I'm going to have to agree with Shake here. Modern gaming is full of things co-opted from art forms, such as big stories or musical scores. Their inclusion in a game does not change the fact that a game is just that, a game. Dungeons and Dragons has a story as well, and is quite creative. Is it art? The answer is clearly no, and the same should apply to chess, videogames, and other forms of gaming.
Us Michigan distinguished mentally-challenged fellows pack, we stick together.

Himu

Himu, you couldn't be an art student

ahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHA
IYKYK

I'm not even claiming I'm an art expert, merely someone who understands what art forms are and why they're important. You clearly have no regard for the arts, only for what you happen to enjoy. Which is fine, only not everything you like is art.

drew

• sy
i would also like to know where and how intense the foundations are

Cheebs

I am getting a Masters of Business Administration so I am a business student. Ask me if something is a business, and I'll be able to tell you.

PD knows what's up :bow

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
I'd like to ammend that last post and clarify that I mean art form. The form is what Ebert et all are discussing. Video games aren't an art form. There is no further discussion necessary, until game designers actually manage to invent a new form of expression.

What about statistics and math. It's art for geeks, programming, narrative, escapism, stats.gameplay. Games have created new ways of expression and experiencing peoples ideas and drawn on a whole heap of other established mediums for rules on exposition. I don't care about games as art but I think they are nonetheless and I think you're full of shit.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:34:59 AM by quietID »
◕‿◕

Himu

I'm not even claiming I'm an art expert, merely someone who understands what art forms are and why they're important. You clearly have no regard for the arts, only for what you happen to enjoy. Which is fine, only not everything you like is art.

Where did you get that I only appreciate what I enjoy? Once again, you prove you have the reading comprehension of a mole.
IYKYK

What about statistics and math. It's art for geeks, programming, narrative, escapism, stats.gameplay. Games have created new ways of expression and drawn on a whole heap of other established mediums for rules on exposition. I don't care about games as art but I think they are nonetheless and I think you're full of shit.

Math isn't art. What the fuck are you talking about? :lol

And no, immersion is not created by games.

drew

• sy
Was it art?

in one of my classes this guy took pictures of everything he consumed for a week and made it into a computer collage

...including the toilet water he flushed (along with high res pictures of his little faggot vegan rabbit shits)

Himu

Was it art?

in one of my classes this guy took pictures of everything he consumed for a week and made it into a computer collage

...including the toilet water he flushed (along with high res pictures of his little faggot vegan rabbit shits)

:lol
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

What about statistics and math. It's art for geeks, programming, narrative, escapism, stats.gameplay. Games have created new ways of expression and drawn on a whole heap of other established mediums for rules on exposition. I don't care about games as art but I think they are nonetheless and I think you're full of shit.

bubububu when i play my fps i feel like i'm on a  battle field or apocalyptic setting

Cheebs

My favorite work of art:
2+2=5

It's abstract art.

Himu

bubububu when i play my fps i feel like i'm on a  battle field or apocalyptic setting

Have you ever played a really good horror game?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

My favorite work of art:
2+2=5

It's abstract art.

That has no real meaning, therefore it's not art.

- Himu Chan

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
would you fucktards stop debating the definition of art. Seriously, how fucking boring are you people today?
UNF

Artists have been using immersion in their pieces for centuries. Immersion is not something inherent only to video games. One can be just as immersed in a good book, movie, painting etc. as in a game. Just because you push buttons in one doesn't mean it takes on any more importance. It's still images on a screen.

drew

• sy
oh my god you are such a cunt i hate you you suck balls

Phoenix Dark

Have you ever played a really good horror game?

I was trolling. RE4 has quite a lot of immersion. As does Dungeons and Dragons 

drew

• sy
as does my dick in your mom

Cheebs

Art is awesome, especially traditional art. I love going to my art museum and looking at paintings.

I have a number of coffee table books full of Picasso painting and own a nice reprint of one of his. :bow

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
would you fucktards stop debating the definition of art. Seriously, how fucking boring are you people today?
There's a thread!

Art is awesome, especially traditional art. I love going to my art museum and looking at paintings.

I have a number of coffee table books full of Picasso painting and own a nice reprint of one of his. :bow

Hahaha you fucking SNOB!

Go play Animal Crossing and tell me that doesn't shit all over your faggoty books ::)

etiolate

Games aren't an art form. They bring nothing new to the table, but rather combine elements from various other art forms (yes, even the "immersion" aspect is not beholden to video games). All other art forms created new forms of expression; games do not.

Rules and interactivity. One of Ebert's great mistakes is dismissing rules as not being applicable to art, but if rules are a part of the authorial message then they are an avenue of art. Rules and gameplay are the camera lens of videogames. Just because many games do not explore this does not make it true. I often cite Super Metroid, but that is mainly because you can speedrun the game and still understand the story, and the reason is because the rules and gamplay relay the story. Since you know the Metroid that stops short of killing you is different, and you only understand this because the rules are kill or be killed, except those which do not go through with killing you, then you understand that the Metroid which is required to complete the story is different. At no point during the game does the game stop to tell you "this is your baby metroid".  It does not rely on the convetions of other art, it does not stop and explain through text, or through a passive viewing like film, but through the actions the player enacts. This part of the stoyr has been understood over the years merely through gameplay and the rules of the game which state in game title and experience that metroids are hostile enemies.

Interactivity and rules where used in art prior to games. Performance art employs both.