Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780623 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
 ???

only watched the first minute but the sound was good.

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]8PfuIm4Onhc[/youtube]
:rock

Himu

[youtube=560,345]JOO8-Jp-xsg[/youtube]
IYKYK

Beezy

I thought the vids 2 pages ago were distinguished mentally-challenged, but I actually like this one for some reason. This dude is hilarious. :lol

[youtube=560,345]Q77YBmtd2Rw[/youtube]

Himu

honest truth

most rap sounds like shit live

or at least on TV
I think Rap doesn't do much for anybody live. But to be fair, I've never been to a live rap concert.

But we can all agree that Rock is much better live.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not saying Rock is better than rap, all I'm saying is that Rock has better live shows
[close]

[youtube=560,345]9lDCYjb8RHk[/youtube]

zo zo zo

zo zo zo

zo zo zo

zo zo zo zo zo zo zo
IYKYK

Donono

Click this: http://www.endless

and this: http://www.rainymood.com/

then RELAAAAXXXXXXX! Awwww yeeaaaahhhhh.

holy shit

click this and then the rain link

http://www.endless

It sounds like a damn hot sex scene.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Click this: http://www.endless

and this: http://www.rainymood.com/

then RELAAAAXXXXXXX! Awwww yeeaaaahhhhh.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
let's do this

Donono

[youtube=560,345]NQdC7h609k8[/youtube]

:tauntaun

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Boy, some people get awfully furious when someone messes with Lady Gaga.
püp

Phoenix Dark

Meh. Every single time someone criticizes Gaga, they come to her defense saying "omg such and such is clearly jealous of Gaga's success and record sales!" Newsom was asked a question and she responded. And just like MIA's comments, Newsom's hit the same nail with respect to Gaga's vapidness and similarity to Grace Jones/Peaces/etc. It's not like she said "lol she sucks" - she defended her argument.

If you disagree fine. But I seriously doubt someone who's songs range from 6 to 14 minutes is jealous of the demographics that make Gaga's songs radio smashes.

Skidmark

You are just jealous of Hitler.

Himu

You were saying?

I mean your vid was cool and all but come on!

I actually agree with you. I just wanted an excuse to post it.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Meh. Every single time someone criticizes Gaga, they come to her defense saying "omg such and such is clearly jealous of Gaga's success and record sales!" Newsom was asked a question and she responded. And just like MIA's comments, Newsom's hit the same nail with respect to Gaga's vapidness and similarity to Grace Jones/Peaces/etc. It's not like she said "lol she sucks" - she defended her argument.

If you disagree fine. But I seriously doubt someone who's songs range from 6 to 14 minutes is jealous of the demographics that make Gaga's songs radio smashes.

Bububbu catchy hooks and wacky fashion
:9

Raban

• The baby...
As a GaGa fan, I find solace in the fact that Lady GaGa is important enough that she's brought up in so many artist interviews. Regardless of whether or not she keeps making hits or burns out by next month, I know that Lady GaGa has already succeeded the likes of more forgettable pop acts like Katy Perry or Justin Beiber or whatever.

I don't really care to defend GaGa from underground musicians, and I find it strange that those have been the most vocal on this subject as of late. Anybody who thinks Lady GaGa is anything beyond a pop diva has got to be mental. This woman just knows how to ball in the music industry, and from what I can perceive she's extremely thankful and humble for her success unlike many celebrities that became famous overnight.

I just really dig this woman's style, her music, everything. It's really fresh, groovy stuff.
SRY

Himu

I prefer GaGa to other pop acts out there these days. Compared to them, she's fresh and exciting. I don't understand how anyone could hate her, as she's 1000000 x more interesting than the likes of Bieber or even Beyonce, who seem to phone it in.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
For the next page or two let's argue over disposable pop music that no one will care about in a couple of years.

Phoenix Dark

You know it's a trend when Beyonce jumps on board. I respect Gaga as an artist, she's quite talented. But I sure hate how her success has led to an onslaught of pop techno

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Eh, I'd take Beyonce two years ago over Lady Gaga today.  

Gaga is a fine pop star, but I don't know if that's truly what she wants or just what her mega-company wants her to be.  I'd bet all my tuition on the latter.  Just looking at the trends in the industry, it's pretty clear that the business-heads want to capitalize on Gaga as much and quickly as possible, because they've experienced this before and have been burned in the past.  Her tour is insane–nearly 6-8 shows a week for nearly 14 months.  While she's creating this wonderful media persona (something I find intriguing and a case for study), I believe she's sacrificing her longevity through this media blitz.  In three years time, she'll be dropped significantly in focus by her company and she'll be forced to reevaluate her image and course for her career.

And PD nails it.  These underground artists are basically saying the same things I and PD are saying, and the Gaga fans are taking it like jihad.  bubububu times infinity.
püp

Raban

• The baby...
SRY

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
So we're talking about MGMT now?

Someone hasn't listened to Congratulations, far from a disposable pop album :smug
püp

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
I don't really care to defend GaGa from underground musicians, and I find it strange that those have been the most vocal on this subject as of late. Anybody who thinks Lady GaGa is anything beyond a pop diva has got to be mental.

I think the reason MIA and Newsom have spoken out is precisely because Lady Gaga has been treated as though she's offering more than the usual pop fluff, and because Gaga seems to have bought in to that idea herself (or is at least encouraging it).  

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I really liked the album *shrugs*

It's exactly the course of action I wanted MGMT to take, and they pulled it off pretty brilliantly.  Siberian Breaks :bow2
püp

Phoenix Dark

I don't really care to defend GaGa from underground musicians, and I find it strange that those have been the most vocal on this subject as of late. Anybody who thinks Lady GaGa is anything beyond a pop diva has got to be mental.

I think the reason MIA and Newsom have spoken out is precisely because Lady Gaga has been treated as though she's offering more than the usual pop fluff, and because Gaga seems to have bought in to that idea herself (or is at least encouraging it).  

Agreed. She gets a lot of co-signs from various people/sites, even hipster types. Which is odd considering how willing Gaga is to make herself a product. People praise her ridiculous Telephone video while ignoring all the product placement in it. I'm not one to complain about that stuff normally, but it's odd seeing someone who refers to herself in third person shucking and jiving for PlentyOfFish.com.

Himu

The Black Keys rock
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...

She is offering more than the usual fluff, just not much. If there is anybody I would like to see spearhead a revolution in the pop genre, I'd love for it to be Lady GaGa. Is she revolutionizing pop music now? Not really, no. Could she in the future? Definitely. I think where detractors fail to give credit is GaGa's potential as an artist.

Now, saying that her schtick is some kind of marketing ploy is something I can't really agree with. Unlike other pop stars sold on a fad, like Avril Lavinge, Lady Gaga is actually really invested in the shit that she does. The costumes, the dances, the performances, the excessive tours, as far as I know, are her idea. The only way I could understand that GaGa is some kind of scheme is if record labels have suddenly mastered the craft of transforming some nobody into a super-fad.

It's hard for me to believe that she's being forced by some big, shadowy corporation to do any of this considering that in the book that comes with that $200 edition of The Fame Monster, it's filled with concepts and notes and sketches of costumes, choreography, a lot of which GaGa personally oversaw.

Part of the reason I even pay attention to this woman is the fact that unlike other pop stars, she's actually genuine with her style. I have a feeling that the people who think she's a ploy are a little too jaded, rather than the people who think she's genuine are too naive.

EDIT: Sorry to make this post longer than it is already but:

Agreed. She gets a lot of co-signs from various people/sites, even hipster types. Which is odd considering how willing Gaga is to make herself a product. People praise her ridiculous Telephone video while ignoring all the product placement in it. I'm not one to complain about that stuff normally, but it's odd seeing someone who refers to herself in third person shucking and jiving for PlentyOfFish.com.

I think it's pretty obvious that the blatant product placement in Telephone was a part of the theme. Lady GaGa was already huge way before Telephone, and none of her videos UNTIL Telephone had anywhere near as much product placement. IIRC the Bad Romance video didn't have ANY product placement in it, except a Wii controller, that you had to look for. I can't be the only one who sees how obvious that is :-\
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:22:43 PM by startselect »
SRY

Himu

The Black Keys rock
Yeah they do, BrandNew's taste in music also rocks :rock

I agree he has good taste in music.
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.

Yeah.  But it's not even that they're ignoring that aspect so much as they're taking it in as part of her message.  She's totally fetishizing herself as a commodity man.  Meta.  

::Gaga makes 2 billion dollars.  Nods her head in agreement::

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:26:16 PM by My F*cking Grandpa »

Mupepe

• Icon
The worst thing about Gaga is her pretentious fans.

I think she's encouraging the idea that she is so much more than the average pop star but I don't believe for a second she buys into it.  Look at how she was just a few years ago when she was normal.  She knew she had to sell some crazy BS image to get where she is.  So she did.  

The fans defending her and calling her the greatest thing since sliced bread and "oh she's so art" are the ones I hate.  How can they not see it?  "oh she's just being ironic"  hyuck hyuck.  NO.  You're being ironic by defending that shit with "irony" and still buying into it you fucking dolts.  She's a product designed and marketed towards you.  

If you like her music.  Fine.  I can see how some might (I don't).  But don't try to defend her as some shining beacon of art in a sea of sellouts.  She's just aware and smarter than the average bear so she knows how to stand out and capitalize.  Much respect to her for that.

Himu

Agreed. I just like her music, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
It's not that great, I just read blogs.  Read Eric P's blog, it's the shit.

Just struck me as overly pretentious and boring.

Yeah, I can certainly see and understand that reaction, I have nothing against that.  I felt the same way about Yeasayer's album.  Some tracks reek of aureate production and overflorishing, especially in Flash Delirium and one or two others.  It definitely helps, though, that the album is bookended by tremendous tracks.  Love the beginning and end.
püp

Himu

post ericp's blog
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
And to clarify, what I said is not necessarily a bad thing.  

Michael Jackson is my favorite pop star and he did the same thing.  He created tabloid controversy to stay relevant over and over again.  

And his fans are equally annoying in the way they ignore his bad eccentricities and try to paint him as some naive, victimized man-child.

The dude was nuttier than squirrel turds, a shrewd businessman and knew how to capitalize on his image.  Awesome music though.

Himu

BUBUBUBUBBUT MICHAEL JACKSON PEPSI COMMERCIAL

[youtube=560,345]vd15YVb2M6M[/youtube]
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
http://www.kingofthegigabitches.com/blog/

Him and I differ a great deal in our tastes, but he gives me quite a bit of new shit in genres and city scenes I have not yet even considered delving into.  I would try to start something similar for the Nashville scene, but it's so fucking weird there–all the good musicians are stuck in the 70s.
püp

Himu

ericp :bow2

the man, the legend
IYKYK

Skidmark

''A strange, strange man has been showing up on morning shows throughout the Midwest, claiming to be a yo-yo trick champion. He is not. He is actually terrible at yo-yo. Yet he keeps getting on the air.''
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

The third clip:
http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext?nxd_id=128275&watch=1

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
You know it's a trend when Beyonce jumps on board. I respect Gaga as an artist, she's quite talented. But I sure hate how her success has led to an onslaught of pop techno

what?

four to the floor dance pop has been around since the 70s
Tonya

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

Good Pop music :heart

Of course shes from the UK (Welsh) :heartbeat

Himu

:heartbeat MOLOKO :heartbeat

WE ARE SO GAY, BLUETSU

[youtube=560,345]vuxZAzfk0Z0[/youtube]

GAY PRIDE
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
YES, I LOVE THAT TRACk. Its so 70's in so many ways. We gonna wilde homo this thread now :gaypride

Himu

:wildhomo

:bow electronic music :bow2
:bow vocal trance :bow2
IYKYK

Himu

[youtube=560,345]5PenStUnpv4[/youtube]

:-[ :-[ :-[
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I posted this in the random music thread but this is as :wildhomo as it gets

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:30:49 PM by BlueTsunami »

Himu

WORD

I'M NOT ASHAMED
IYKYK

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
''A strange, strange man has been showing up on morning shows throughout the Midwest, claiming to be a yo-yo trick champion. He is not. He is actually terrible at yo-yo. Yet he keeps getting on the air.''

The third clip:

Now this is some awesome shit.  The guy reminds me of Cancer Boy from Kids In The Hall.
Tacos

Phoenix Dark

what?

I'm talking about how now whenever you turn on the radio you hear techno pop, and artists who aren't known for techo are doing it now to capitalize on Gaga's success

Skidmark

Himu

IYKYK

Eric P

• Icon

what?

I'm talking about how now whenever you turn on the radio you hear techno pop, and artists who aren't known for techo are doing it now to capitalize on Gaga's success

what about kanye and the Black Eyed Peas doing that like 5 years ago?
Tonya

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/2mzay4l.jpg[img]
I just busted out at work. :rofl
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

what?

Eh, yea I'll give you that, but I certainly don't remember a huge wave of techno pop music spawning from Graduation or BEP stuff - which is what is happening now via Gaga's influence.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Will.I.Am. Ahead of his time. But Gaga get's all the props on Perezhilton.com :'(

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind

The third clip:
:rofl

I love he was answering his cell in the second clip. His outfit of suspenders and ball cap is also great.

:bow Professional Troll
jon

Skidmark

Will.I.Am. Ahead of his time. But Gaga get's all the props on Perezhilton.com :'(

Does that guy write and publish all the content on his blog himself or does he hire guys to help him out too?

Eric P

• Icon

what?

Eh, yea I'll give you that, but I certainly don't remember a huge wave of techno pop music spawning from Graduation or BEP stuff - which is what is happening now via Gaga's influence.

I think it's one of those things that's been kind of incubating

so long as the artists don't go dubstep, i'll be happy

that's the last shit i need to hear blaring from fucking cars
Tonya

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

what?

I think it's one of those things that's been kind of incubating

that's the last shit i need to hear blaring from fucking cars

double truth
püp

Eric P

• Icon
Lady M.I.A.

Tonya

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.

dubstep > what you're listening to
dap

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
ugh, no