Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780493 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
The problem is 9 times out of 10 it makes the thread infinitely worse. Either because the defense force increases or because the person becomes a lightning rod for attention because people think he can magically fix the game.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
The problem is 9 times out of 10 it makes the thread infinitely worse. Either because the defense force increases or because the person becomes a lightning rod for attention because people think he can magically fix the game.

Like that insomniac community manager on Resistance 2. Him defending certain aspects and promising improvements did not help.

Actually that thread kinda had both of your reasons

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Doesn't Ghaleon work for Bungie?  He seems to be a pretty alright guy, other than his love for Avatar.
püp

Stoney Mason

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395955

Threads like this are why I will never post over at GAF ever again. You literally have defense forces and company love so strong that they get worked up about commercials

11 fucking pages of Nintendo fanboys.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395955

Threads like this are why I will never post over at GAF ever again. You literally have defense forces and company love so strong that they get worked up about commercials

11 fucking pages of Nintendo fanboys.

Was posted on the previous page  :(

but yea its sad and hilarious

Stoney Mason

Was posted on the previous page  :(
:(

I saw the thread and I saw it had so many posts that I thought, wow this must be some really inflammatory stuff.

Then I clicked the first post and saw the commercial. And then I realized the joke was on me.

For ever posting there
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:42:55 PM by Stoney Mason »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
GAF ain't all (that) bad doodz. There are several sub-communities that are worthwhile imo (personally; Street fighter, monthly music, artsy fartsy & picture threads). The general stupidity is easily avoided by wearing blinders...

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
I pretty much agree. Which is why I post mostly in the MLB thread and a few TV show (e.g. Breaking Bad, Mad Men) threads.
AMC

drew

• sy

this is why i stopped writing at neo

Skidmark

That commercial was funny  :lol

drew

• sy
GAF ain't all (that) bad doodz. There are several sub-communities that are worthwhile imo (personally; Street fighter, monthly music, artsy fartsy & picture threads). The general stupidity is easily avoided by wearing blinders...

you would looove #ga, 90% of the conversation is about super street fucking fighter four

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
IRC? never got into that. Need to pay attention all the time and bitches be racing on their keyboards to be the first with some tired old wit. :-\

drew

• sy
#eb is founded on the virtue of idling

magus

• LIKES FF7
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21394187&postcount=132

Eat shit and die Cliff.

:fbm

I love that he didn't attack the dude but was just like "Damn yo, thats a bit harsh". Basically fbm.

to be fair the only thing that ever stopped me from writing something similiar to scribblenaut creator after going around proud that ONM gave scribblenauts a 10 was the fear to be banned
<----

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21394187&postcount=132

Eat shit and die Cliff.

:fbm

I love that he didn't attack the dude but was just like "Damn yo, thats a bit harsh". Basically fbm.

to be fair the only thing that ever stopped me from writing something similiar to scribblenaut creator after going around proud that ONM gave scribblenauts a 10 was the fear to be banned

real talk. the state of that release was some class action level bullshit. 'They didn't have time' to implement controls? Fuck off.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
GAF ain't all (that) bad doodz.

Sure it is.  And I say this as a die-hard.  It's way too big now, and too many of the intelligent, insightful posters have just flat-out disappeared. Phoenix, Loki, dark10x, drohne, 50 other names...I mean, Mandark posts here regularly now, but I don't know when I last saw him post on GAF...

Yes, there's an element of "damn kids, get off ma lawn" in saying that, but still.

In any half-serious OT topic, any given thread will be flooded by now-anonymous posters who fill the thread with shit.  Post a contrary opinion, and you get a pile on of "lol"s and snarky one-liners.  The sort of shit that used to be limited to the gaming side has steadily infected the OT as well.

I think that there is an optimal size for discussion boards, and I think GAF passed it a couple years back.

I agree with you that the "sub-communities" still have value, but the fact that you have to label them as such shows how hard it is to get value out of GAF anymore.  The various sports threads are great for discussion, but even as one of the MMA die-hards, MMA discussion has been dumbed-down over the past two years.

I'll probably never abandon the forum, but as of today, I probably spend twice the time on EB as I do on GAF.  Two years ago, the reverse would be the case.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

you would looove #ga, 90% of the conversation is about super street fucking fighter four

wait, #ga still exists?
MMA

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

Sure it is.  And I say this as a die-hard.  It's way too big now, and too many of the intelligent, insightful posters have just flat-out disappeared. Phoenix, Loki, dark10x, drohne, 50 other names...I mean, Mandark posts here regularly now, but I don't know when I last saw him post on GAF...

Yes, there's an element of "damn kids, get off ma lawn" in saying that, but still.

In any half-serious OT topic, any given thread will be flooded by now-anonymous posters who fill the thread with shit.  Post a contrary opinion, and you get a pile on of "lol"s and snarky one-liners.  The sort of shit that used to be limited to the gaming side has steadily infected the OT as well.

I think that there is an optimal size for discussion boards, and I think GAF passed it a couple years back.

I agree with you that the "sub-communities" still have value, but the fact that you have to label them as such shows how hard it is to get value out of GAF anymore.  The various sports threads are great for discussion, but even as one of the MMA die-hards, MMA discussion has been dumbed-down over the past two years.

I'll probably never abandon the forum, but as of today, I probably spend twice the time on EB as I do on GAF.  Two years ago, the reverse would be the case.

Yeah, I can agree with that. But for my Street Fighter needs the gaf thread is far superior to any other mainstream gaming forum and dedicated sites like shoryuken are just straight up unfriendly. Also the photography and art threads seem to have a higher barrier of entry than sports or politics (subjects I care about, but don't bother with on GA).

It's been a long time since gaf told me about a game, movie or any random tidbit of internet-dom that I didn't hear about elsewhere tho'. I guess I'll eventually find a place better suited for my arty needs sometime in the future and at that point gaf won't really have that much to bring me back... :\

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Message Board nerds who get so upset a game didn't match their personal expectations they feel comfortable telling people to eat shit and die and cry like little bitches.

That's NeoGaF.
To be fair, that's the internet in general. Everyone can be brave if they're anonymous and untraceable. I think CliffyB handled it pretty well, but I bet the follow-up lovefest defense horde was pretty embarrassingly overzealous.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

wait, #ga still exists?

But if you mention it on the forum, you get banned. It's like the GAF's own Evilbore! :lol
©@©™

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

wait, #ga still exists?

But if you mention it on the forum, you get banned. It's like the GAF's own Evilbore! :lol

Well, ya, but that's been the case for, like, four years.
MMA

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
To me finger-licking is worse than watching an overweight person reach inside their pants and scratch. If your fingers are sticky after eating something (which in itself indicates a lack of refinement on your part), go to the sink and wash them off.
PS4

Stoney Mason

to conclude my daily GAF bashing:

The problem with GAF is that there are way too many stupid people because its way too big. The problem is even if you have a good thread, a group of nitwits on that board will invariably derail it or bring it into the shitter. It's hard to have discussion when a couple of people are discussing something and 50 nimrods invade the thread and take it off into nitwit land. It's like having a couple of hundred Methodis type posters (or that Shake guy who was here) running around shitting everything up. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:17:16 AM by Stoney Mason »

Skidmark

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Skidmark

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
[youtube=560,345]-pezCjCR6IU[/youtube]

Only in Dubai. :lol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:31:34 AM by ferrarimanf355 »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
how the fug? ???

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

OptimoPeach

Someone should have gone Kurt Russell and rammed the shit out of the guy on two wheels
hi5

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I stopped going on GAF when the search feature was cut.  There were only a handful of quality members left and I'd just read their previous posts and ignore the rest.  With that feature gone now, there isn't much of a point in going there.

I don't think it is that it is too big, it is an entirely LCD board, where the shittiest members direct where a thread is heading.  I think it could have been culled effectively but the LCD set tends to worship mods and are at least partially cognizant of emerging GAF trends and mod preferences to where they can control their insanity to a certain degree.  It is how certain games and topics are allowed to be hatefucked without fear of reprisal.

However I've made over 9000 posts there so whatever.

I agree.
🍆🍆

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
The GAF Photography Community is very awesome, its the only reason why I still consistently hittup GAF everyday. I definitely can't read full threads outside of that though, its all about the one liners, picking a fight and scattered meaningful posts.
:9

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Can't be posted enough.  Fucking awesome song.
püp

Beezy

listen to her cd you homos

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I go to GAF for the politics thread but that's about it. I used to spend a lot of time in the gaming forum, then I switched to the OT to avoid bans. But now I rarely find myself getting involved with the threads, which often revolve around

-anti police/military/authority threads
-anti religion threads
-"weird personal drama" thread

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
that chick's got the dumbest hairdo i've ever seen.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
[youtube=560,345]Fqq051BU2MY[/youtube]
nat

Stoney Mason

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
lol and awww @ 1:30
___

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
[youtube=560,345]1lG06m_NDbM[/youtube]
püp

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
Really nice song. That was good footwork she had.
Boo

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]1lG06m_NDbM[/youtube]
:lol

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Ahahahahahahah, thats fucking perfect :lol

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I might be too old to understand that Tightrope song.

OptimoPeach

kingofthesharks
5 days ago
Damn nice crossup

Holy shit :lol
hi5

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Guile Theme is like the Eye of the Tiger of video game music.
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

Too bad she's underage. Looks like Dany to me  :-*

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
wtf is this |OT| naming convention now? fucking nerdlingers and their obsessive-compulsive desires
うぐう

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

what does it mean

Skidmark

:rofl I'm crying here.

I bet she'll never curse her funbags again!

Have we posted the Best Cry Ever yet? Regardless:

BONUS! Autotuned: