Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780665 times)

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
being rational > being angry > being a pussy obviously

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Dear GAF:

I'm tired of your shit.  I might post in your "girl/dating" thread out of frustration once in a blue moon.  And maybe still your MMA threads.

Otherwise, fuck you.  Not going to put up with forty thousand teenagers posting from their mothers' basements, when I'd rather hope in vain to talk with Phoenix, Guileless, Deku, Loki, Mandark, et al.

Not that this place is any better for any semblance of serious discussion.

Guess I'll probably just give up on legit talk on the internet altogether, and keep up with this place for random bullshit.

Kinda depressing, actually.
MMA

M3wThr33

I found Justin Bieber fanart today. One of them is my new avatar.

http://www.sadanduseless.com/image.php?n=630

OptimoPeach

And maybe still your MMA threads.
Nah, don't bother. These days the MMA discussion on GAF is comparable to the garbage on Sherdog.

Not that this place is any better for any semblance of serious discussion.

Guess I'll probably just give up on legit talk on the internet altogether, and keep up with this place for random bullshit.
Calling bullshit on this. Prole? Eel? Frag? Genghis? Stoney? Willco? Mandark? Malek? etc. I think this forum strikes a pretty good balance between random lulzy water cooler talk and that SUPER SERIOUS discussion that you so desperately crave. Just because EB isn't highbrow dick-waving 100% of the time doesn't mean that we're incapable of talking about serious shit in earnest
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

Calling bullshit on this. Prole? Eel? Frag? Genghis? Stoney? Willco? Mandark? Malek? etc. I think this forum strikes a pretty good balance between random lulzy water cooler talk and that SUPER SERIOUS discussion that you so desperately crave. Just because EB isn't highbrow dick-waving 100% of the time doesn't mean that we're incapable of talking about serious shit in earnest

No, you're right.  I guess I just miss the others who are missing from both GAF and EB.  Loki, Guileless, Phoenix, even FFF and Refugee.

Nonetheless, here's my completely lameass drunken GAF swansong.  Not sure I have the discipline to stay away, but I'm very tempted to pull a MAF and just say "fuck 'em all", but keeping up with things here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21656899&postcount=115

MMA

Himu

Dayyum boogie. You really went all out, mate.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
LOL @ visiting gaming forums for intellectual discussions. 

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
I posted over on GAF twice recently for the first time this year.

One time to get some Blur players on my friends list. One time to get some advice because I was having some internet problems. I think GAF is really good for stuff like that. But for actual discussion forgot about it. Not only that but I find myself overly tempted to argue with idiots which in turn makes me an idiot.

I'm not going to pretend over here is the height of intellectualism but at least nobody overly takes it too seriously. Which is a good thing.

Himu

I love you, Stoney. Stick around. <3
IYKYK

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Only time I visit GAF anymore is when someone posts a link here or someone IMs me one. There's just too much shit to sift through there.
CBG

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Dayyum boogie. You really went all out, mate.

naw, that didn't feel like "all out".  Feel like I half-assed it, honestly.

LOL @ visiting gaming forums for intellectual discussions.  

chuckle all you want, but in the past, I was always impressed by the likes of jinx, Loki, Mandark, Guileless, Hito, iapetus, and countless others.  Hell, the mega-GAF Iraq invasion thread was an incredible source of info.  It's no exaggerration to say that, in some ways, GAF helped shape my worldview, along with my university studies.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:59:08 AM by Boogie »
MMA

OptimoPeach

Yeah I know where you're coming from.

Mandark and Loki still pop in here occasionally, but I do wish they were more active. And TVC needs to come back :'(
hi5

Stoney Mason

chuckle all you want, but in the past, I was always impressed by the likes of jinx, Loki, Mandark, Guileless, Hito, iapetus, and countless others.  It's no exaggerration to say that, in some ways, GAF helped shape my worldview, along with my university studies.

There definitely were and still are some smart people on GAF. That part of the equation has always been alright for me. It's the bad poster quotient that has skyrocketed which is the problem. 25 dumb people can destroy and derail any thread. Which happens all the time.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I think it's been about a month or so since I've posted on GAF, and those posts then were only a couple of anime and writing threads. Most days I don't even visit the forum at all. There's just little reason to, as anything important gaming-wise will make its way here eventually and with much less distinguished mentally-challenged.
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
PS4

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

There definitely were and still are some smart people on GAF. That part of the equation has always been alright for me. It's the bad poster quotient that has skyrocketed which is the problem. 25 dumb people can destroy and derail any thread. Which happens all the time.

For sure.

I remember my personal "golden age".  Unsurprisingly, it coincided with my undergrad tenure in college, but I loved the pure intellectual tussle with posters both at my level, and above it, on the forum.  Now, any time I want to post on a serious topic, I am deluged with, I assume, fucking teenagers who don't even have the good sense to comprehend what I type.

And as awesome as this place is, it seems more like a country club for retirees, where we'll occassionally venture out from our rooms to flog JayDubya or his ilk for a day, before retreating back into our suites and bitching about them damn kids walking on our lawns.
MMA

Himu

GAF is good for some discussion, but I guess it wholly depends on what it is. I think the more tight knit "communities" formed around certain topics are pretty fun, like manga gaf -- where we pick apart, suggest, discuss, and mock a bunch of stupid comic books -- and certain games certainly have great discussion, usually low-key, niche releases; or film-gaf, so long as Gary Whitta isn't involved. As I've said for years, it depends on the topic, which is why I really only post in threads I'm interested in.

But for the rest of the threads, I read them and shake my head. Like I remember reading a thread earlier tonight and the first half of the first page consisted of a bunch of cock monglers trying to find the right puns and shit or not even remotely discussing the subject in the first post. I know it's EB tradition to get every thread off-topic just for the fun of it, but we don't use the same shtick every damn time.

This is partly why I trolled the fuck out of that FF13 Versus 360 thread that ended up getting me banned for a month. The FF13 fans were posting ridiculous shit, the 360 fanboys were posting ridiculous shit, as were the ps3 fanboys. There's never, ever middle ground and when it's obvious you're fucking joking, people riot.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
GAF helped shape my worldview

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Listen, you vacuous douchebag, I'm honest enough to admit my influences.

I joined GAF in 2001, when I was but a lad of 18 or so, and fairly "stock conservative".  I attended the University of Toronto two years later, which was concurrent with lively debates on GAF.

Now, if you knew the first fucking thing about contributing and challenging yourself to such discussions, you wouldn't be rolling your fucking eyes.

But, since you are more content to make maximum use of animated gifs than any sort of intelligent discussion, of course you would just scoff at such frank admissions.

Since I didn't hold stubbornly to my preconceptions, and I allowed myself to be shaped by the likes of Stephen Walt, Ronald Deibert, Janice Stein, countless contributers to Russian, and American Foreign Policy, especially such figures as AJP Taylor, historians of Intelligence such as JC Mastermann, Christopher Andrew, Richard B. Frank, Thomas Homer Dixon, Jared Diamond and thirty other authors that I didn't just sit on in smug superiority, but engaged in debate online, yes, you are damn right I allowed some of the members I respected on GAF to shape my worldview.

What, exactly, shaped your worldview, other than film directors and animu?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:18:17 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I can't stop laughing. :rofl
PS4

Stoney Mason

And as awesome as this place is, it seems more like a country club for retirees, where we'll occassionally venture out from our rooms to flog JayDubya or his ilk for a day, before retreating back into our suites and bitching about them damn kids walking on our lawns.

True and very apt description. Honestly I try to avoid conflict here for the most part and I've retired mostly from "serious" internet discussion. Mainly because I respect most of the people here and I honestly don't feel like spending my time arguing with people.

Himu

Then again, there are a share of "taking it too seriously" or "can't take a fucking joke" types at EB, but it's certainly not the majority. When we play around at EB, usually you can deduce when you're being fucked around with. But sometimes that is also EB's curse; we never let anything go. Every time Costanza posts, someone rides his nuts; every time Boogie posts, Ichi has to ride his nuts. But I just take it all in and accept it: it's just the fucking internet.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
:bow Himuro :bow2
PS4

Himu

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Listen, you vacuous douchebag, I'm honest enough to admit my influence.

I joined GAF in 2001, when I was but a lad of 18 or so, and fairly "stock conservative".  I attended the University of Toronto two years later, which was concurrent with lively debates on GAF.

Now, if you knew the first fucking thing about contributing and challenging yourself to such discussions, you wouldn't be rolling your fucking eyes.

But, since you are more content to make maximum use of animated gifs than any sort of intelligent discussion, of course you would just scoff at such frank admissions.

Since I didn't hold stubbornly to my preconceptions, and I allowed myself to be shaped by the likes of Stephen Walt, Ronald Deibert, Janice Stein, countless contributers to Russian, and American Foreign Policy, especially such figures as AJP Taylor, historians of Intelligence such as JC Mastermann, Christopher Andrew, and thirty other authors that I didn't just sit on in smug superiority, but engaged in debate online, yes, you are damn right I allowed some of the members I respected on GAF to shape my worldview.

What, exactly, shaped your worldview, other than film directors and animu?

I can see where you're coming from and I'm in a very similar boat.

Heck, Wrath told me before that he was homophobic before posting on gaf. I'm not ashamed to say that some people I've met on the internet have influenced me.

cue himuro existential joke lololol
IYKYK

OptimoPeach

Hey look, Ichirou is being a stupid cunt and starting shit with someone over absolutely nothing
hi5

Fresh Prince

I blame the democratisation of the internet. First academics used it, then rich smart people, then smart people now everybody uses it, smh. Smart people have moved on.

'retiree home' is a very apt description of this place

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Then again, there are a share of "taking it too seriously" or "can't take a fucking joke" types at EB, but it's certainly not the majority. When we play around at EB, usually you can deduce when you're being fucked around with. But sometimes that is also EB's curse; we never let anything go. Every time Costanza posts, someone rides his nuts; every time Boogie posts, Ichi has to ride his nuts. But I just take it all in and accept it: it's just the fucking internet.

Quite true.  You start to take shit a little *too* seriously here, and someone will bust your balls about it, mostly in a humourous way.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
I blame the democratisation of the internet. First academics used it, then rich smart people, then smart people now everybody uses it, smh. Smart people have moved on.

yo, I was on facebook before it was open to the public.  I'm all elite and shit.
MMA

Smooth Groove

TBH, internet legends like Drinky Crow, Dcharlie, Mina, Hans, St. Corny , Futami helped shape me into the person I am today.  

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

yo, I was on facebook before it was open to the public.  I'm all elite and shit.
I was on Facebook before you and probably deleted my first account before you even had one. :P
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Wow, this thread is totally :fbm right now
:9

Himu

TBH, internet legends like Drinky Crow, Dcharlie, Mina, Hans, St. Corny , Futami helped shape me into the person I am today.  

What about sfags?
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

I was on Facebook before you and probably deleted my first account before you even had one. :P

Bullshit you were!

wanna fight about it? :punch
MMA

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

???
PS4

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

Bullshit you were!

wanna fight about it? :punch

HELL YEAH I KNOW I'M RIGHT :punch

spoiler (click to show/hide)
no face shots plz
[close]
AMC

Himu

Hey, Ichi.

Queen > the Beatles

Suck it.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Hey, Ichi.

Queen > the Beatles

Suck it.

:rock
MMA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Wow, this thread is totally :fbm right now

I did a skim and all I see is typical Boogie whinging (yes, with a g)

I think the tipping point was the Willco date post. He was like this on GAF along with demon
fat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Hey, Ichi.

Queen > the Beatles

Suck it.

I have an idea, Himu-chan.  Let's go to the wax museum in Russia and take our picture with Freddie!

:tbslol
PS4

Skidmark

You are a douchebag.

Smooth Groove

Foo Fighters > Queen

Himu

Radiohead > Soundgarden
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
You are a douchebag.

Did GAF shape your worldview too?
PS4

Fresh Prince

boogie needs to get laid
himu needs to find meaning in his life
wrath needs to escape mustachioed man
ichi needs conflict to function
fresh prince needs to feel young again

Himu

People like the Foo because of The Colour and the Shape, which owns. That's about it.
IYKYK

Himu

OK Himu thats just wrong.

Outside of a few bands, I don't "get" grunge.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Self-titled > Colour and the Shape
AMC

Smooth Groove

I was just trollin'.  Foo is alright but most of their stuff are pretty shallow like pretty much every alternative band.  

Himu

Cajole, Colour and the Shape has February Stars. I think it wins.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
AMC

Himu

I was just trollin'.  Foo is alright but most of their stuff are pretty shallow like pretty much every alternative band.  

I know you were trollin'. See, this is the difference between EB and GAF. On GAF, some idiot would take the post seriously and try to fight it. On EB, we fight hyperbolic trolling with even further hyperbolic trolling.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Pearl Jam > The Beatles > Queen > Himu's penis > Foo Fighters
PS4

Fresh Prince

I don't know ichi is pretty good at trolling.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Pearl Jam :yuck

Himu

OK Himu thats just wrong.

Outside of a few bands, I don't "get" grunge.
And what are those few bands?

This.

[youtube=560,345]4z_ipRtcnqM[/youtube]

Fact: Sonic Youth is the best grunge band.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
PS4

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
This is now the 90s alternative rock thread

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
AMC

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Jeremy spokaaaane claaasss tuuudddaaaay
PS4

Himu

Pearl Jam > The Beatles > Queen > Himu's penis > Foo Fighters

Haha, you got Pearl Jam into this? What's next Audioslave > Chumbawumba?
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
[youtube=560,345]a1bxH4O0g4Q[/youtube]
PS4

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I remember I made one girl mad at school cause' I said Soundgarden <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Pearl Jam and I was all "I don't menstruate so I don't see the appeal, I guess"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:47:01 AM by BlueTsunami »