Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780619 times)

Himu

i can't believe they still have shit like that erupting on that forum. how can someone write 3 paragraphs on and on about how news is being posted on a forum? let alone doing it for 5-10 years

I really don't get it either, and this is why I mostly stick with my own threads.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
I'm a little confused with this RB hoopla

- They don't want a catch-all super thread for all things RB related, people get banned for that (?)
- People create separate thread for different RB related news, people get banned for that (?)

Is that a correct rundown, and if so doubleyou-tee-eff
___

archie4208

- They don't want a catch-all super thread for all things RB related, people get banned for that (?)
- People create separate thread for different RB related news, people get banned for that (?)

*Evilore posted a thread for the RB3 Squier Stratocaster and subsequently went into the megathread to tell people to make new threads for big events.
*baker questioned Evilore and got banned.
*Space Cadet had a meltdown and spammed the forum with insignificant Rock Band news
*People who posted in said threads got permabanned
*fin

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

*Evilore posted a thread for the RB3 Squier Stratocaster and subsequently went into the megathread to tell people to make new threads for big events.
*Space Cadet had a meltdown and spammed the forum with insignificant Rock Band news
*fin

smh
___

DJ_Tet

*fin

Forgot to mention that Evilore's thread was a dupe and he was pissed because he missed the 'news' and shouldn't have to go to a gaming site to get it. 

Perhaps if Search worked, Evilore would have been able to locate the original thread.

:kerry @ hitlore
TIT

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
So the recent GAF rejects plan on creating their own forum - wastingyourlife.com. Using twitter to recruit seems like a good idea, but I doubt the forum will last long, or have a healthy userbase like EB.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
So the recent GAF rejects plan on creating their own forum - wastingyourlife.com. Using twitter to recruit seems like a good idea, but I doubt the forum will last long, or have a healthy userbase like EB.

I'm down with any spin-off board from GAF.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
except opa-ages
[close]

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Always thought Y2KEV was a fruity gaffurt that couldn't handle the heat at EB.  Dude probably looks like a beast and have few friends IRL.  Otherwise, why would a Columbia student be so eager to please a bunch of nerd losers?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
He's as normal as someone who posts that much on GAF can be, actually. I think he's just too nice and happy to post here. The same reason someone like beelzebozo left.
AMC

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator

Let's troll it
fat

Smooth Groove

WTF I'm nice and happy!   >:(

Stoney Mason

He's as normal as someone who posts that much on GAF can be, actually. I think he's just too nice and happy to post here. The same reason someone like beelzebozo left.

He's absolutely fine. This board is fine also but half of the people here are crabby assholes themselves. Nothing wrong with not wanting to deal with a large number of crabby assholes on a regular basis.

Skidmark

Here are some vlogs that I find very entertaining, give them a try and let me know what you think:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
I like this girl

This guy is awesome

But this guy is my favorite.

cool breeze

beelzebozo used to post here?! he's one of the posters I like on gaf.  cool guy.  y2kev is cool too.  but if I was a mod I'd probably just ban the guy and leave the thread open.  affluent white nerd martyrdom  :yuck

WTF I'm nice and happy!   >:(

I know, right?

brb, gonna go stick 12 gauge in some dude's ass to lift my spirits.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

He's absolutely fine. This board is fine also but half of the people here are crabby assholes themselves. Nothing wrong with not wanting to deal with a large number of crabby assholes on a regular basis.

I didn't mean the "too nice and happy" as a negative, btw.
AMC

Costanza

*fin

Forgot to mention that Evilore's thread was a dupe and he was pissed because he missed the 'news' and shouldn't have to go to a gaming site to get it. 

Perhaps if Search worked, Evilore would have been able to locate the original thread.

:kerry @ hitlore

The worst thing is, Evilore HAD POSTED in the original thread.

Smooth Groove

The thing that irks me about Kev and other GAF dudes who post a lot, is that they're always laughing at stupid nerd humor that's not funny.   I'd take crabby assholes over a bunch of hysterical nerds any day.   But maybe that's cuz I'm a dick?

Stoney Mason

Oh I know. He's a really nice dude. I mean that in a good way. Let's face it. When you're a mod on that board you have to toe the line.

To use an analogy from that thread ,when you work for Hitler let's face it. That means occasionally beating up the jews. I don't blame him for that.  

Stoney Mason

I like this girl

I bet you do skidmark.

:P

Smooth Groove

Demi is just jealous that kev is as big of a gamer as he is but still gets the women, and became a GAF mod.

tsk tsk demi, you're so transparent.

Demi gets lots of offers.  He's just saving it for when he gets married or when he finally hits 1 million in achievement pts.  

Oh I know. He's a really nice dude. I mean that in a good way. Let's face it. When you're a mod on that board you have to toe the line.

To use an analogy from that thread ,when you work for Hitler let's face it. That means occasionally beating up the jews. I don't blame him for that.  

Condoning evil racism is not cool, man.  :wag

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Funny racism is OK though.   :shh
[close]

Costanza

When's the site going up Costanza?

tonight prolly

Costanza

maybe  :-*

Skidmark

I like this girl

I bet you do skidmark.

:P

A lot  :-[

Smooth Groove

I like this girl

She's pretty hot, kinda like a younger but slightly less pretty version of Tina Fey. 

Smooth Groove

Demi, ban Costanza for stealing traffic. 

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
The success of places like Evilbore and Opa-Ages were in large part the result of having a pretty notorious cache of posters on board.  I don't think you could even make a moderately active spin-off forum based on how large the GAF userbase is now.  Not that that's necessarily what this new board is interested in doing.   

Costanza

We don't want this to be a spin-off forum, fwiw. It's just gonna have some GAFers when it launches.

Barry Egan

The fact that it's just a few GAFfers posting somewhere else is what makes it a spin-off forum  :P

Smooth Groove

I kinda look at GAF as the spin-off forum since it was originally ran by MAF. 

Skidmark

what software are you going to use for the forum? I have a website that I can give you access to so you can try setting up the databaste, try the ftp and install the board. I can help you out if you have never done so before.

Costanza

The names of EB/OA being gaf references make them spin-off forums (and never anything more) more than anything else.

WYL has wide appeal.

Costanza

what software are you going to use for the forum? I have a website that I can give you access to so you can try setting up the databaste, try the ftp and install the board. I can help you out if you have never done so before.

Veidt had a vBulletin license. It's being set up right now.

Skidmark

She's pretty hot, kinda like a younger but slightly less pretty version of Tina Fey. 
Yeah, she has a very hot personality too.
Give the other two vlogs a try too. Those three are my favorite vlogs. They are always entertaining and interesting.

Skidmark

Veidt had a vBulletin license. It's being set up right now.

Cool, just let me know if you need any help.

Barry Egan

The names of EB/OA being gaf references make them spin-off forums (and never anything more) more than anything else.

WYL has wide appeal.

Opa-ages references a poster who posted on GAF and than founded the forum.  I don't really think that's the same as a GAF reference.  The fact that this board is named Evilbore is a bit problematic, especially if Wilco actually does want the forum to be considered its own entity (lol). 

It's sort of besides the point though.  You've chosen a fairly broad title for your board but it doesn't change its history.  GAF is still your daddy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 01:59:08 PM by My F*cking Grandpa »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Hey, we changed the name to THE Bore. lolz

And this is going to be the fourth splinter GAF forum, by my count. OA, EB, football thread, now this.
AMC

Barry Egan

Hey, we changed the name to THE Bore. lolz

And this is going to be the fourth splinter GAF forum, by my count. OA, EB, football thread, now this.

So what's this then?   :P  Shouldn't it be "TB"? 

www.thebore.com still isn't even functioning.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
It's like when Jack said that Smokey wasn't Locke and then proceeded to call him Locke later anyway.
AMC

DJ_Tet

Wide appeal?   :lol

Yeah, I can't wait for TheGreatDave and Costanza to tell me everything sucks  :lol

Sounds pretty appealing!
TIT

Skidmark

thebore.com? are you serious?

Barry Egan

I'm pretty sure Wilco registered that URL a while back but had some technical issue with it.  Maybe it was something else though. 

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
"TheBore" is all Willco's thing
fat

Smooth Groove

:lol at Willco trying to create a spin-off of EB.

It'll bomb just like the shitty forums of Mupepe and Cheebs. 

Barry Egan

nah it wasn't a spin-off.  He was just trying to get thebore.com to redirect to here, so that he could drop the association with Evilbore.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon

I didn't even think of those. The GAF forum tree is immense.
AMC

magus

• LIKES FF7
Demi, ban Costanza for stealing traffic. 
:rofl
there was this time were a gaf user made his own forum and then proceeded to sent pm to various gaf users so they would join,he was banned at the speed of light

i think it's name was drkirby
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:24:22 PM by magus »
<----

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
uhm why not join an existing gaf spin off (ope or here)

and revert the name back to evilbore screw the borecast

Barry Egan

And let's not forget Bizarro GAF.

Smooth Groove

nah it wasn't a spin-off.  He was just trying to get thebore.com to redirect to here, so that he could drop the association with Evilbore.

It was a joke.   ;)

Lyte Edge had a crappy forum too which I joined for a little while.  It wasn't really a spin-off though.  I think it was just a place for Lyte's friends to chat about games until the co-founder went insane.  

Himu

Always thought Y2KEV was a fruity gaffurt that couldn't handle the heat at EB.  Dude probably looks like a beast and have few friends IRL.  Otherwise, why would a Columbia student be so eager to please a bunch of nerd losers?

Actually, Kev is cute as fuck and I won't let you trash talk my Kev-kun
IYKYK

Himu

WYL has wide appeal.

Opa-ages references a poster who posted on GAF and than founded the forum.  I don't really think that's the same as a GAF reference.  The fact that this board is named Evilbore is a bit problematic, especially if Wilco actually does want the forum to be considered its own entity (lol). 

It's sort of besides the point though.  You've chosen a fairly broad title for your board but it doesn't change its history.  GAF is still your daddy.

He called it evilbore we felt gaf was starting to get boring. It was summer 06, and mods and admins were cracking down on O-T threads and generally making gaf un-fun. So Willco just named it evilbore since gaf was beginning to be a bore. At this point I don't we can escape the name unless willco makes evilbore.com redirect to thebore.com

WYL has wide appeal.

Why won't they just join EB? We already have a flourishing community and they'd be accepted because they're great posters.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:40:28 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Fresh Prince

opa-ages
gaming-age

Smooth Groove

Actually, Kev is cute as fuck and I won't let you trash talk my Kev-kun

You're just as homo.  Even as someone that finds black people scary, I'd totally punch you in the face if you dare talk back to me in person.  That should tell you how gay you are.  

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
what drama. Can't we all just get along?  :-[

Barry Egan

Fresh Prince

neogaf is a dictatorship, evilbore is an oligarchy. we need truly democratic forums :tophat

Himu

The success of places like Evilbore and Opa-Ages were in large part the result of having a pretty notorious cache of posters on board.  I don't think you could even make a moderately active spin-off forum based on how large the GAF userbase is now.  Not that that's necessarily what this new board is interested in doing.   

We were actually pretty slow in the opening months. We didn't even have enough posters for us to agree there was use for a gaming board. It took at least a year, and numerous invites on gaf and making eb's existence known for eb to even remotely have the large quantity of posters it has today.

But that a completely different time. GAF 06 != GAF '10

Then again, Wlllco invited me through irc. That could work for these guys, but I still don't see why they just don't join eb.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

EB: We only hate everything.

Skidmark

How many members are going to join the new forum so far? 3-5? or 20+? not including the ones on evilbore.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Successful spinoffs are around because a few notorious (but popular) people are the star(s) of the spinoff board.  For OA, it was Opa.  For EB, it was MAF.  Both were GAF legends in their respective days and siphoned off the disillusioned and banned.  This new forum doesn't look to have much of anything as its hook from what I've read about so far.  In a few months, it will basically be abandoned.  Not to mention most of the good GAF members have long since left or make posts once in a great while.  The talent pool to make a fledgling board remain active simply does not exist.
🍆🍆