Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780778 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Especially when they do our perfect wives while we watch
fat

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned

I'm just intrigued that despite all the bitching I hear about GAF from folks both here and IRL (which happens, when you're friends with people like DCharlie and Sho Nuff...), everyone still seems to prefer to it to somewhere that they AREN'T tightly moderated. Personally, I don't need any more than EB, king of forums :bow2

:bow cormac :bow2

i still post here BECAUSE of the negativity. fuck you sunshine fucks out there.
duc

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
I firmly believe that as long as you're capable of some critical thinking you can get along fine on EB.  It's only if there are some major gaps in your outlook, which will become apparent over a fairly short time, that you quickly become the forum Omega.  This is so preferable to me than what GAF has become, and what WYL seems to be, where living in a reactive fantasy world is encouraged rather than ridiculed.  It's fine if that's how they want to conduct their forum, but man, it makes me glad EB is around.     

drew

• sy

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
WYL really does come across as GAF-lite, minus the threat of arbitrary modding. It's all sunshine-and-daisies and backpatting, without really going in-depth on anything.

EB, to me, is interesting, it's got personality, sometimes that can be a bad things and other times it can be a really cool things, but at least it's got it. So far, WYL doesn't have that.
dog

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
WYL really does come across as GAF-lite, minus the threat of arbitrary modding. It's all sunshine-and-daisies and backpatting, without really going in-depth on anything.

EB, to me, is interesting, it's got personality, sometimes that can be a bad things and other times it can be a really cool things, but at least it's got it. So far, WYL doesn't have that.

plus the reality of arbitrary modding

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Plus there are far better and quicker ways to get your news without having to wade through countless moronic posts and pathetic attempts to garner the attention of developers.

allow me to clarify - i always have my "internet opinion" filters on when browsing forums for news, it's basically just saving my lazy ass the trouble of hunting down all the links
sup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

I made a few posts there yesterday, but it's already feeling kind of dull.  It's mostly the same topics from NeoGAF with a few from here (coughcough himu cough) with the same people posting about the same stuff they do on other forums.  Moderators have their names in red and they have already locked out custom tags, too.  People keep making "official threads."  How is it supposed to be different from GAF again?  Still, there's nothing wrong with it or anything.  I like the simplistic look it has; reminds me of GAF pre-NeoGAF.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:30:35 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
Segata  :o  :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

Personally, I've started to wean off NeoGAF as a source of gaming news. I'd rather just do a cursory scan of my RSS feeds than try to wade through all of the pages getting bumped up (Joystiq is great for this because they're pretty vanilla in their coverage).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:03:34 PM by Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich »
うぐう

FatalT

Hey Wrath, I PMed criesofthepast and he claims he didn't report you to Evilore.

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
evilore's prolly checking PMs now :lol
うぐう

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Honestly, a smaller NeoGAF with moderate moderation has a lot of appeal to me, so I'll be sticking around there.

For some people, it's exactly what they want. But I left GAF because there just weren't that many topics and threads that I really cared about, for a long time the only threads I posted in where related to anime or writing. WYL looks like it's more of the same, I browse through a bunch of topics and I just don't see anything that really interests me.
dog

lordoftherink

Quote from: Good Day Sir
I made a few posts there yesterday, but it's already feeling kind of dull.  It's mostly the same topics from NeoGAF with a few from here (coughcough himu cough) with the same people posting about the same stuff they do on other forums.  Moderators have their names in red and they have already locked out custom tags, too.  People keep making "official threads."  How is it supposed to be different from GAF again

I can’t speak for them, but I think the forum is basically GAF for those that were permabanned over the Evilore rock band nonsense. They would have kept posting indefinitely at GAF, but obviously can’t anymore, so they’ve transplanted their rock band and tv/movie cliques to this new forum. Other members have joined up as well separate from them because a mini-GAF free from fear of banning sounds alright. I suppose over time they might get their own identity, but the identity of these groups were already formed at NeoGAF, so I doubt it’ll change too much. The thing that interests me most about the forum is the posters joining other than those from the cliques, like Segata. If this new forum ends up being a place for good discussion, it might be worth staying at, but right now, I don’t know. That’s just my view on it,

Beezy

So, to play Devil's Advocate for a second, how come GAF is still so big and EB is still so tiny?

Because this forum tends to be extremely negative and bitter about everything (not just GAF). Most people don't want to be around that.
Not everything. Just you.

lordoftherink

I'd say GAF tends to be ridiculously negative more than here anyways. There's many recommendations in the random gaming and movies/tv shows you've watched recently threads here and far less lttp:this thing sucks or monthly popular things you hate threads.

archie4208

GAF has a very focused hivemind that is conditioned to hate certain things with impunity, i.e. niche games good, casual games bad.  That's how I see it, anyway.

magus

• LIKES FF7
GAF has a very focused hivemind that is conditioned to hate certain things with impunity, i.e. niche games good, casual games bad.  That's how I see it, anyway.
i don't think i have ever seen anybody saying something bad about a game in a official thread (pardon |OT|) on gaf...
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Honestly, a smaller NeoGAF with moderate moderation has a lot of appeal to me, so I'll be sticking around there.

You guys are crazy fucks and I love 99% of you (demi and prole  :heartbeat), but when it comes down to it, if I want to talk about games, I don't feel like I've got much in common with anyone here.  Which is fine for the lulz, but doesn't do much for me if I actually want to discuss shit.

Huh? We play plenty of your silly Japa games here and discuss plenty of them. I even trolled the shit out of Alpha Protocol while bringing the most profound discussion in there. I am the best of both worlds.
fat

archie4208

i don't think i have ever seen anybody saying something bad about a game in a official thread (pardon |OT|) on gaf...

I sorta disagree.  Rock Band and SMT:SJ (the last two OTs I participated in) both had a fair amount of criticism.  But I was primarily talking about industry related threads.  Any Activision thread is going to get at least 2-3 pages of people hating Kotick and vowing to boycott every Activision game until the end of time (except Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 because Blizzard are still good guys).

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Thats because they would probably get banned if they do.
Drunk

Skidmark

I like reddit, talk some shit about it for me.

Costanza

evilore's prolly checking PMs now :lol
you can't see PMs as a vbulletin admin, it's more likely that him or some of his #ga cock-gobblers are spying on us.

Costanza

Is it a plugin or something or are you digging into the encrypted shit?

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
萌え~

Costanza

M3wThr33

GAF continues to work because the negative sentiment is hidden, deleted or reprimanded. If you don't know where to go, how do you know what's better?

Hell, when you're banned, you lose ALL PM access, which is really shitty. You're basically shut off from communicating with anybody new there. So as far as new users are concerned, the complaints are only of the banned idiots. AND because NeoGaf does not track WHO banned you, or WHY, you just assume they were being an idiot and breaking some hard rule.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I can read your guys PMs and I dont have any secret plugins.
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
GAF continues to work because the negative sentiment is hidden, deleted or reprimanded. If you don't know where to go, how do you know what's better?

Hell, when you're banned, you lose ALL PM access, which is really shitty. You're basically shut off from communicating with anybody new there. So as far as new users are concerned, the complaints are only of the banned idiots. AND because NeoGaf does not track WHO banned you, or WHY, you just assume they were being an idiot and breaking some hard rule.

So what you're saying is that NeoGAF is a modern Gulag? :smug
:9

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.

So what you're saying is that NeoGAF is a modern Gulag? :smug

CBG

etiolate

no, gulag prisoners got out more often

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
I made a weeaboo joke at WYL and now the nerds from neogaf who are on there are jumjping down my back. One guy said this, I am not even joking, said this to my topic:

"...this thread was presented a little more respectfully elsewhere."

Yes, because video game journalism and journalists need to be respected like a Times reporter or something. LAFFO LAFFO LAFFO
USA

Beezy

I read your thread and a few others at WYL. It's too much like GAF right now. I'll join if it ever changes.

archie4208

I liked your thread Sylar.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
i hope you like my steam thread image
USA

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
first two eps of new futurama season have leaxed

check demonoid for details
萌え~

CrystalGemini

wyl seems to have a very similar mission as EB when it first started.  It's only been a few days so I'm not going to judge whether it's worth staying or not just yet.  So far it's just like any other starter forum getting on its feet.

Really only post on GAF for OnkelC's food thread.  One of the few threads that really benefits from the large member base.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:56:32 PM by CrystalGemini »
O_O

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
I wanted to post anywhere MAF and Drinky posted.

Oh dear god, that's an awful reason to do something.

Hay guyz what is "WYL"

dap

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
On bigger forums certain posters are annoying but on smaller forums they seem to calm down. I like evilbore but damn it needs more traffic.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Maybe we should start a twitter marketing campaign with prole and the ever popular demi as the face of the site.
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
first two eps of new futurama season have leaxed

check demonoid for details

OMGWTFDOWNLOADING!!!
©@©™

CrystalGemini

I wanted to post anywhere MAF and Drinky posted.

Oh dear god, that's an awful reason to do something.

Hay guyz what is "WYL"

http://metal-torrents.com/YWL/forums/index.php

New forum started by Costanza (?) because Evilore is going batshit insane on GAF.  Basically Evilbore: Part II.
O_O

Robo

Except it makes House Party 4 look like House Party 3.
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
[youtube=560,345]OdB7GDZY3Pk[/youtube]
püp

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
I hate trader joe's for the mere fact that you can't buy regular stuff there so you have to make 2 fucking trips
UNF

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
You can buy regular stuff there  ???
püp

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
You can buy regular stuff there  ???

shut the fuck up
UNF

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
sorry that was uncalled for  :-\
UNF

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
it's alright hun
püp

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
The old black mage would've never apologized.
Boo

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
The old black mage would've never apologized.

it's the meds  :-\
UNF

DJ_Tet

edit:  I can't be fucked, don't care
TIT

etiolate

all your holes close up Tet?

OptimoPeach

hi5

BeyondSaving

What did Wrath2x get banned from GAF for?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
For promoting a crap forum (that isnt this one)
fat

BeyondSaving

For promoting a crap forum (that isnt this one)

Through PMs?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I guess
fat