Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780424 times)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
:lol @ the last page. This thread just turned a corner
itm

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Going to WYL on an iPhone prompts you to get a $3 app.
CBG

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
costanza and Veidt can fuck off.  They're already acting like power-mad assholes.  WYL won't last a fucking month at this rate.
PS4

Skidmark

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

archie4208

WYL changed my trolling thread title.  smh  ::)

drew

• sy
wyl wont even let me in ::)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
costanza started a fucking thread telling people to amuse him and he would give them tags.

wow.

just...wow.
PS4

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
costanza started a fucking thread telling people to amuse him and he would give them tags.

wow.

just...wow.

I've got nothing against Costanza as a person. I'm cool with him. But my problem with WYL conceptually is that it seems like none of these people every really got why GAF truly sucks. For them its just a new place to set up camp after they got banned and become the bosses. Instead of sort of addressing the fundamental problem of GAF. Which is over-moderation. These sites aren't about the mods. It's about the people who post there.

Costanza

Going to WYL on an iPhone prompts you to get a $3 app.

It's a 3rd party app we added ourselves to with a plugin. We make nothing off of it but posting from it is really nice. :\

http://tapatalk.com/

Veidt

rocko, nothing against you. It wasn't because it was a troll, or spamming, it was a legit post. I deleted several other posts, because I wanted a lost related post to be the first post, is all. It was an agreed thing where Lost-GAF would meet up ( I don't expect you to know this, or anyone other than lost-gaf really). And having the first posts be about how the thread is a duplicate-( simply because there was dead thread with the Lost in the title)- would ruin the whole thing.
Rockband gaf has their own thread, yet news can be posted regarding RB in another thread.
You may have noticed. I didn't delete your other posts in the thread.

Hope to see you around again, you're an alright guy.

Costanza

wow.

just...wow.

I've got nothing against Costanza as a person. I'm cool with him. But my problem with WYL conceptually is that it seems like none of these people every really got why GAF truly sucks. For them its just a new place to set up camp after they got banned and become the bosses. Instead of sort of addressing the fundamental problem of GAF. Which is over-moderation. These sites aren't about the mods. It's about the people who post there.

This.

In the past week they've done more moderation that EB does in a year. The place only need one admin and one mod for the time being.

We're not trying to BE a forum with no moderation. It doesn't work and just turns into a cesspool when you let people run free.

And the admins are all people who are helping with the site fwiw.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
bigger avatars nao
萌え~

Stoney Mason

It doesn't work and just turns into a cesspool when you let people run free.

I'm not trying to tell you how to run your site but honestly I'm pretty sure this is what evilore says to himself to justify how he runs his site.

I'm not trying to pretend this is a purely bi-polar situation where a forum can only be run like GAF or EB but honestly its much more right to try to run a site with less moderation rather than more moderation.

Of course I haven't really posted over there a lot so I'm only speaking of the situation second hand but if a lot of moderation is going to be the order of the day then I doubt I will post over there very much.

Get rid of bigots. Get rid of crazy trolls. Other than that I think let people sort of police themselves or let the community police those people.

Just saying.

Skidmark

I have told them this the first day in the Aim chat room, they locked threads left and right and even edited peoples posts for swearing and so on as if they are moderating a blog.

Costanza

I did talk to Veidt last night about deleting/censoring posts. I don't think thats ok.

Veidt

I did talk to Veidt last night about deleting/censoring posts. I don't think thats ok.

Only edited the post of one dude who mentioned who invited him to WYL. I did so, to avoid his account being banned on GAF. Remember what happened to Wrath.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
rocko, nothing against you. It wasn't because it was a troll, or spamming, it was a legit post. I deleted several other posts, because I wanted a lost related post to be the first post, is all. It was an agreed thing where Lost-GAF would meet up ( I don't expect you to know this, or anyone other than lost-gaf really). And having the first posts be about how the thread is a duplicate-( simply because there was dead thread with the Lost in the title)- would ruin the whole thing.
Rockband gaf has their own thread, yet news can be posted regarding RB in another thread.

And you're an awful mod.  Control yourself, bro.  Want to make it a LOST-GAF thread?  Say so in the first frickin' post instead of just posting a picture and a quote nobody outside of your clique will understand.

WYL is a cool concept but it's quickly becoming as ridiculously overmoderated as GAF was.  And this with less than 10% of the members GAF has!

You guys locked and deleted a thread just because someone said GAF sucked?  I mean, how extreme is that?

I'm only saying this because I'd genuinely love for WYL to succeed and for Evilore to have to go out and get a REAL job, btw.
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
We're not trying to BE a forum with no moderation. It doesn't work and just turns into a cesspool when you let people run free.

And the admins are all people who are helping with the site fwiw.

:rofl And how are you helping? You got Red Scarlet booted
fat

Veidt

Other than that. Don't worry, we're setting up a set of  rules of conducts for admins/mods.  So if you feel like you've been cheated, know that things are about to change soon.

And you're an awful mod.  Control yourself, bro.  Want to make it a LOST-GAF thread?  Say so in the first frickin' post instead of just posting a picture and a quote nobody outside of your clique will understand.

WYL is a cool concept but it's quickly becoming as ridiculously overmoderated as GAF was.  And this with less than 10% of the members GAF has!

You guys locked and deleted a thread just because someone said GAF sucked?  I mean, how extreme is that?

I'm only saying this because I'd genuinely love for WYL to succeed and for Evilore to have to go out and get a REAL job, btw.

It's great you want WYL to succeed. We had to lock the thread because from the beginning( First post) it was stated that we don't down talk other forums or their members. That includes Evilbore/GAF or any other board really. And people were going on  and on, where people started getting close personal attacks against each other ( we don't want members to be fighting, or bad blood, or forum drama in any sense). The thread isn't deleted, at least not to my knowledge.

Thanks for the Valid criticism. Don't worry, we're setting up a set of  rules of conducts for admins/mods.  So if you feel like you've been cheated, know that things are about to change soon.

But yeah. If you guys are having any other problems, know that I'm reading this thread. So list them, and I'll pick up on them.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:46:42 AM by Veidt »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
To costanza: Evilbore is a cesspool?  Aside from assholes like myself, Evilbore is an awesome collection of people who behave themselves and don't need overly zealous mods.  Why?  Because it's a small forum, just like WYL is.   If at some point WYL reaches 1,000+ active members, I could see you needing to police it more, but it's not.

Your moderation is too heavy-handed right now.  Take a cue from how demi and Willco handle things here.
PS4

Veidt

Also, members can delete their own posts. So often times, when you see a deleted post, it's the members that don't feel like the post adds to the discussion.
Only edited 1 posts and that's the one from above. Where I was helping make sure the member didn't get banned on GAF for mentioning he was invited.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:51:52 AM by Veidt »

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Veidt also gives people grammatically crappy dutch tags.
brb

Veidt

Veidt also gives people grammatically crappy dutch tags.
I only gave 2 people tags. RPGN and Cheebs.
 If it's RPGN, I am sorry. I haven't spoken Dutch in 5 years now. : (
And why aren't you registered. What's up with that Rebiak.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
Dit meisje heeft een tag dat niemand zal begrijpen

=

Dit meisje heeft een tag die niemand zal begrijpen
brb

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
WYL seems to be a lots cause. Just look at the justifications you see from their mods here. Great start.

If you have some grand vision of how the first few posts of your thread will go then you have misunderstood the purpose of a message board.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
WYL seems to be a lots cause. Just look at the justifications you see from their mods here. Great start.

If you have some grand vision of how the first few posts of your thread will go then you have misunderstood the purpose of a message board.

Nailed it.  You can't manipulate how people will post in a fucking thread.  You make the OP and hope for the best.

Also, don't listen to Wrath.  He wants everybody to like him so he will never tell you the hard truths you need to hear.
PS4

Tristam

Costanza who is that girl in your WYL av? She's a cutie.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
In a very mealy-mouthed sort of way.
PS4

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
can i be a mod at wyl?
nat

Veidt

Well, thanks for the criticism, anyway.  Although, I will not be obliged to take it from non-registrants :smug.

But , Rocko's, plus whoever registered deserve my apologies, don't know if they're reading this.  Especially rocko, you hear that Rocko? Come baaaaaaaack. I'll do ANYTHING.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:30:25 AM by Veidt »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Well, thanks for the criticism, anyway.  Although, I will not be obliged to take it from non-registrants :smug.

But , Rocko's, plus whoever registered deserve my apologies, don't know if they're reading this.  Especially rocko, you hear that Rocko? Come baaaaaaaack. I'll do ANYTHING.

De-mod yourself, then he'll come back.  It's the right thing to do.
PS4

Veidt

De-mod yourself, then he'll come back.  It's the right thing to do.
Really though.
After this, I dare you to compare us to GAF in our moderation. When was the last time an admin apologized in a friendly way (because of a misunderstanding) to anyone?

I really care about members. Especially if they're from the likes of this place, because I've spent some time with you guys, enough to know you. Wish more of you would register.

AdmiralViscen

Haha, they already have the smug hivemind going. Sorry I'm not a registrant

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Again, what Viscen said.

"We don't have to pay attention to anything you say because you're not registered on the site :smug

But hey, please join up so we can delete your posts and lock your threads the first time you say anything bad about GAF :heartbeat"
PS4

Veidt

haters gonna hate. :smug

really though, thanks for everything will keep them in mind. Peace.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:37:47 AM by Veidt »

Skidmark

Veidt sounds professional  :spin

AdmiralViscen

I peeked in but

-I don't need to post at another forum
-The userbase is GAF-lite
-The mods are GAF-lite

So why bother? I might as well actually use my GAF alt if I wanted that atmosphere.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Honestly WYL feels more loose than GAF but I don't feel like I could rape junpei via message board messages and not have the community act all stuffy. Plus it seems more media oriented, where over here we're more everything oriented :smug
:9

BobFromPikeCreek

Oh my god stop talking about that stupid forum and go back to posting videos where some news guy fucks something up or some shit.
zzzzz

Stoney Mason

Oh my god stop talking about that stupid forum and go back to posting videos where some news guy fucks something up or some shit.

This

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
[youtube=560,345]CzF7ih8WYPM[/youtube]

Stoney Mason

Own your own Transformer!
« Reply #11861 on: July 01, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
Old but new to me

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/01/2941631.htm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:10:28 AM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
WYL's mods aren't particularly intrusive, I don't think the GAF comparison works. Obviously it's a group of friends who wanted to be boss mod. The forum was initially plagued by some trolls/joke accounts, which tends to happen when you heavily advertise a new forum.

I like the forum. Eventually it'll create its own identity free of GAF, something EB has done pretty well

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
[youtube=560,345]qjavOLdPk1c[/youtube]
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45610

amurica  :-\

Stoney Mason

Stolen from Jansen and the RDR thread.

BobFromPikeCreek

How unbelievably unnecessary.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Dunno, looks good to me. "Unnecessary," sure. But are you really going to get the yankee dogs to watch subtitled euro-moon-language?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

BobFromPikeCreek

100 bucks sez it's not a hermaphrodite in this version.
zzzzz

Skidmark

Has anybody watched The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie? I know that it is not as good as the book but is it worth watching?

BobFromPikeCreek

Zooey Daschenel
zzzzz

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
There was a sparse cold look to the original that I love. It looks like the remake isn't even going to have this feel to it. Basically, whoever directed this and the crew in charge missed a lot of the nuanced things that made the original what it was. Instead we'll probably be getting Twilight 3 with a little more bite.

Stoney Mason

Has anybody watched The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie? I know that it is not as good as the book but is it worth watching?

It's okay I suppose. I didn't think it was especially good and find the old bbc episodes to be a much better reflection of the book and the characters myself despite the incredibly low budget.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

It's a decent movie with some funny bits, not as genius as the book or the radio show but still worth watching if you're a fan.

There was a sparse cold look to the original that I love. It looks like the remake isn't even going to have this feel to it. Basically, whoever directed this and the crew in charge missed a lot of the nuanced things that made the original what it was. Instead we'll probably be getting Twilight 3 with a little more bite.

Adding the police and school officials into the story as a major presence makes it seems like it's going to be kind of bloated and unsubtle.
dog

Skidmark

It's a decent movie with some funny bits, not as genius as the book or the radio show but still worth watching if you're a fan.

It's okay I suppose. I didn't think it was especially good and find the old bbc episodes to be a much better reflection of the book and the characters myself despite the incredibly low budget.

I am going start watching it now, I have read the book maybe 5 or 8 years ago and I don't think that I remember a lot of it.

Stoney Mason

I am going start watching it now, I have read the book maybe 5 or 8 years ago and I don't think that I remember a lot of it.

It doesn't matter. The movie doesn't really follow the book all too much beyond the basics. It's alright. Its a decent way to spend a couple of hours.

I'm probably a bit too close to Adams and his work to really be fair about it.

Honestly I think a live action movie is the wrong way to approach Adam's works. I think it may have been more suited for something animation wise.

drew

• sy
wow i just read the wyl faq, you can forget my fucking reg, veidt (who?) sounds like some gaf fag, no links to piracy? why? no flaming? no fun.

i predict it lasts as long as that lyte edge shitty offshoot forum, maybe a bit longer because they seem to love to hear see themselves talk

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
the Hitchhikers movie is amazing for taking such rich material and making it so goddamned boring.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Honestly I think a live action movie is the wrong way to approach Adam's works. I think it may have been more suited for something animation wise.

Have you ever listened to the original radio show? It's really good.
dog

Stoney Mason

Have you ever listened to the original radio show? It's really good.

Yeah. It is very good and like I said tone wise I think the original BBC televised show is much better than the movie. I think the audio format and the book format are very closely related because you are still just listening to the words being spoken and he was a great writer.

Something unfortunately is lost a bit when people start acting it out though in actual live action movie terms.