Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780683 times)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
If they really felt it was Oscar-worthy they could've given it a limited release for it to qualify last year.  They obviously realized it had no potential.  Nobody's going to remember Shutter Island by the time Oscar season rolls around.
PS4

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Yes, because $100 million films have always hedged their bets on Oscar nominations. And not, y'know, making money. We're not talking about A Serious Man.

Genre stuff was set last October. It would have had to go against Zombieland, Paranormal Activity, Saw, etc.

That demographic was a lot more liable to see an unknown flick like Shutter Island in February, when NOTHING was out, versus October.

But it was designed as a commercial vehicle, and the fact that you no longer need to be an art house flick to get a Best Picture nomination means the film wasn't hurt by the move.

It was released too early this year to get a fightin' chance next year, but I wouldn't be surprised with production nominations.

SMH at you trying to have both sides of the argument. 

There was no excitement? It was nothing BUT excitement!  :lol

That's cause you're a fucking pussy.   :patel

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
It was genius to release it in the dead of Feb. It would never have done 130 million in the crowed fall oscar/blockbuster season.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I've never seen Willco admit to being wrong, Smooth. :lol
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
No, I'm trying to say I don't think Paramount thought they had a winner on their hands, and putting it out early would have hurt the box office. At the same token, I think it has a good shot of getting nominations. You're not going to release it early unless you think it's going to win, and not just get nominated.

Keeping it October meant going against a stacked genre set. Anything later meant going against the holiday films and the eventual Avatar juggernaut. February was a money move, one that was a smart move. And one that meant it was just as likely to get eventual nominations with the expanded field.

To release it any earlier would mean Paramount thought - for sure - it was going to win. Or else the extra FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION garbage would erode any minimal box office returns it would receive by keeping firm with a 2009 release.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:41:39 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Smooth Groove

Why can't you ever admit to being wrong?  Is you ego as large as your belly?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
But my belly is shrinking. :smug

What am I admitting I'm wrong to, again. The assertion that big budget films don't hedge their bets solely on nominations, or that Paramount made their decision to move it to next year because of box office and less about Oscar nom nom noms?

Like I said, I agree Paramount thought it wasn't going to win THE PRIZE, but that was less of a consideration than MONEY and I don't think they felt the move hurt its nomination chances. The same Oscars it might have been nominated for last year will probably be the same ones it's nominated for THIS YEAR.
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Shirtless pics, plz, Willco.  Perez Hilton does it, why can't you?
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Shirtless pictures in ONE YEAR. Start your countdown, Ichi.
PSP

Smooth Groove

Post it now so we can do a before and after comparison. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Countdown to fapping has commenced. :drool
PS4

Cheebs

why isnt ichi required to take part in this shirt-off.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Yeah, I want to see Ichi's slightly ethnic brown nips
:9

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

I've asked you to take your shirt off for YEARS.

I want a picture of you and PD with your shirts off, sidehugging each other.
PS4

Robo

I'm getting all sweaty thinkin' about all these 'boreans with their shirts off.  :drool
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I've seen about 5 members on this site with their shirts off that werent part of the pics thread.

Better get those pimp hands whirring boys :smug
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Do you guys think in 10 years from now, people will even remember this movie existed?

Cause I don't.

I'm thinking this is a veiled Avatar troll, which I support.
püp

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
"Hey, remember that film about the white guy that becomes the most awesome member of a group of indigenous people threatened by imperialistic white guy invaders?"

"... Pocahontas?"

"No, that's not it."

"... The Last Samurai?"

"Nope, I don't think so."

"... Dances with Wolves.?"

"That sounds like it."

"Oh, what about Avatar?"

"No, that's definitely not it - that was just a rehash."
PSP

Smooth Groove

Sadly, most people are too dumb to get that reference. 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

Cheebs

It feels like Titanic where it was the biggest movie of all time but then like within a year nobody was watching it or really talking about it anymore until the next Cameron movie comes out 10 years later.

Himu

"Hey, remember that film about the white guy that becomes the most awesome member of a group of indigenous people threatened by imperialistic white guy invaders?"

"... Pocahontas?"

"No, that's not it."

"... The Last Samurai?"

"Nope, I don't think so."

"... Dances with Wolves.?"

"That sounds like it."

"Oh, what about Avatar?"

"No, that's definitely not it - that was just a rehash."

I'll never watch an M. Night Shyamalan film again!
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
He just needs to go back to something thats ballz-to-the-wallz awesome and not primarily awesome tech shrouded with sop. Give me Battle Angel Alita!

Smooth Groove

The difference is that it was mostly chicks with poor tastes that dig Titanic while Avatar seems to be universally loved by all people with poor tastes.

Himu

The difference is that it was mostly chicks with poor tastes that dig Titanic while Avatar seems to be universally loved by all people with poor tastes.

What if you just like Avatar, don't love it? I mean, for all intents and purposes, Avatar is an extremely well made film, for what it is I mean. I mean, I won't put it on the same level as 2001 or some shit but as far as Hollywood blockbusters, I felt it was pretty solid. Most of the hate for Avatar seems to be anti-Hollywood lol elitist trolling rather than the movie itself. I'd rather watch Avatar than Batman Begins.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:56:07 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
then you suck and I hate you, himuro
püp

cool breeze

I was actually just thinking about how I forgot about Avatar.  I was wondering if I should bother spending extra to see a movie in Imax, then I remembered that I spent way too much to watch Avatar, then I briefly thought "hey, I bet it's on bluray by now", but I was too lazy to check and didn't care to rewatch it.

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie in theaters in 3D, but if I'm going to watch it home, the entire spectacle is lost.

It's like watching the Back to the Future ride from universal studios on your TV.  It's not the same.  But I did enjoy that a lot more than Avatar and would totally buy that on blu-ray.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:00:00 PM by Linkzg »

Himu

Okay!
IYKYK

Himu

I was actually just thinking about how I forgot about Avatar.  I was wondering if I should bother spending extra to see a movie in Imax, then I remembered that I spent way too much to watch Avatar, then I briefly thought "hey, I bet it's on bluray by now", but I was too lazy to check and didn't care to rewatch it.

I've watched it on blu ray. Wouldn't want to watch it ever again, though. I've seen it three times. That's enough.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

What if you just like Avatar, don't love it? I mean, for all intents and purposes, Avatar is an extremely well made film, for what it is I mean. I mean, I won't put it on the same level as 2001 or some shit but as far as Hollywood blockbusters, I felt it was pretty solid. Most of the hate for Avatar seems to be anti-Hollywood lol elitist trolling rather than the movie itself. I'd rather watch Avatar than Batman Begins.

A lot of people really loved it though.  My head almost fell off from all the SMH at people who said it was the best movie ever.  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:00:03 PM by Smooth Groove »

Himu

Well those people are stupid, who cares what they think?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Those people also probably think that American Idol is the apex of television programming too.
dog

Himu

I was at someone's house this summer and they were watching american idol. they asked if I wanted to watch.

I was like, sure whatever. "I don't watch this show. All I know is the basic premise and that the auditions are awesome."

"You don't watch American Idol?!"

"Nope."

"........................ :o "

awkwarrrrrrrrd
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

Well those people are stupid, who cares what they think?

Hollywood :fbm

Himu

you don't have to tell me that!
IYKYK

cool breeze

I saw five minutes of glee once! I don't get it.  I think the main teacher is gay but stays married to keep up the straight appearance.  Then there is a gay kid on a wheelchair, I think.  It's basically a live action extreme ghostbusters.  I think there might have been a fat black woman, but I might have changed to community at that point.  same basic idea.

Himu

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie in theaters in 3D, but if I'm going to watch it home, the entire spectacle is lost.

It's like watching the Back to the Future ride from universal studios on your TV.  It's not the same.  But I did enjoy that a lot more than Avatar and would totally buy that on blu-ray.

2d avatar > 3d avatar

3d sucks. Avatar is an immensely beautiful film. The art director for that film needs a raise. 3d ruins it, and Avatar 3d was the best 3d I've ever seen. Suffice to say, I think 3d sucks shit.
IYKYK

Himu

I saw five minutes of glee once! I don't get it.  I think the main teacher is gay but stays married to keep up the straight appearance.  Then there is a gay kid on a wheelchair, I think.  It's basically a live action extreme ghostbusters.  I think there might have been a fat black woman, but I might have changed to community at that point.  same basic idea.

Glee is great, but I think you have to be fruity to "get" it. Or something.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I liked Glee for a bit but then it got all "Lets try to sell you these ringtone songs!" and then I lost inerest

Himu

Glee starts out great, but it loses its way about halfway through season 1. The finale puts it back on track though.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
It's ok to like Avatar. Just don't tell anyone. Or us.
fat

Cheebs

I watched the pilot for glee and kinda enjoyed it. But it got so painful to endure after like 2 episodes. All the characters are way too (as Himu put it) fruity for me. The main teacher is just way to over the top gay without being gay for me.

Robo

I'd rather watch Avatar than Batman Begins.

I think Hell will be millions of years of anguish trying to figure out which of these will be less torturous, then eternity spent endlessly suffering through the decision.
obo

Mupepe

• Icon
Glee is fucking gay and you're fucking gay if you watch it.

Himu

I'd rather watch Avatar than Batman Begins.

I think Hell will be millions of years of anguish trying to figure out which of these will be less torturous, then eternity spent endlessly suffering through the decision.

Avatar has a giant robot jumping out of an exploding plane.

It also has a villain who is SO BADASS he forgets to bring his oxygen helmet, and shoots fuckers without breathing.

The villain seals it.

IYKYK

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon

:drool

Evilbore shirt-off? I think Cloud would win.

cool breeze

2d avatar > 3d avatar

3d sucks. Avatar is an immensely beautiful film. The art director for that film needs a raise. 3d ruins it, and Avatar 3d was the best 3d I've ever seen. Suffice to say, I think 3d sucks shit.

yeah, but it's still CG with crazy wacky planets and animals (6 legs! so alien!).  If I don't have this stuff bombarding my senses constantly, I'd wake up and realize I'm watching a benchmark program for the majority of the movie.  The action scenes are great, but you have to wait through boring drama loading time to get to it.  When you do play as Quaritch, it gets awesome.   The level where you're out of ammo and it goes into a QTE fight with Jack in a broken mech suit is pretty badass.

Costanza

I watched the pilot for glee and kinda enjoyed it. But it got so painful to endure after like 2 episodes. All the characters are way too (as Himu put it) fruity for me. The main teacher is just way to over the top gay without being gay for me.

Himu

I actually liked Avatar's story. I have a big thing for "foreigner assimilates into the enemy's culture" stories so I probably give Avatar more credit than it deserves. Also, I kinda sympathize for the main character. The guy is totally useless as a human. He can't even walk! But as a big, tall blue alien he can do anything! I thought it was great how they showed the misery of his human life versus the freedom he gains as a Na'vi.
IYKYK

cool breeze

the fact that you have that picture ready to post is curious

Costanza

the fact that you have that picture ready to post is curious

nah, i actually went and looked it up in the GAF thread

Cheebs

Let's get married.

cool breeze

the fact that you knew where to find that picture is curious

Mupepe

• Icon
I actually liked Avatar's story. I have a big thing for "foreigner assimilates into the enemy's culture" stories so I probably give Avatar more credit than it deserves. Also, I kinda sympathize for the main character. The guy is totally useless as a human. He can't even walk! But as a big, tall blue alien he can do anything! I thought it was great how they showed the misery of his human life versus the freedom he gains as a Na'vi.
Garrett is a white man trapped in a black man's body who wants to be asian. 

Dude I fucking nailed it back in middle school.

Let's get married.
:heart You got it :heart

Himu

I don't see how any of that has to do with being white or asian. The Na'vi could be africans and I'd still feel the same way!
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
the fact that you knew where to find that picture is curious

Busy searching for new and exciting content for that other GAF website
fat

Mupepe

• Icon

I don't see how any of that has to do with being white or asian. The Na'vi could be africans and I'd still feel the same way!
Wanting to be something else.  yadda yadda.

Man you overthink shit

Himu

Wanting to be something else.  yadda yadda.

Man you overthink shit

why would i want to be white? white people aren't as beautiful as black people and asians are universally unattractive unless they are vietnamese or filipino!
IYKYK

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
yeah, but white privilege is awesome

look how far the tea party is willing to go just to at the thought of maybe possibly loosing even a little bit of it
Tonya

Smooth Groove

:drool

Evilbore shirt-off? I think Cloud would win.

Maybe now, but I bet Willco from a few years ago would have given her a stiff challenge with his tig ol' bitties.