Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780560 times)

Himu

How do you know its content doesn't appeal to you if you haven't read it ???

It's lengthy, I'll give you. But you can catch up in no time, and it's so well paced the length doesn't really matter. Why is long bad? Long is bad if the story in question sucks, but that's not the case with OP.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Just give it up, man.
dog

Himu

No.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Okay, but you're not going to get anywhere.
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Himu

[youtube=560,345]6-OaGGOSadE[/youtube]

:rofl
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
i'm with great rumbler regarding one piece
i have no interess in one piece because it seems like a huge string of
"luffy meets bad guy,bad guy does something bad,luffy defeat bad guy,wash rinse and repeat"
sometimes out of curiosity i read summaries and i think there is only one thing i couldn't remove from the plot,the rest is all unnecessary fluff
<----

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
#t=8m0s
omfg  :rofl

"is that yo girl?"

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Drake gonna fuck your girl and make you watch :lol
PSP

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
"luffy meets bad guy,bad guy does something bad,luffy defeat bad guy,wash rinse and repeat"

This describes every long running anime series. 

Himu

sometimes out of curiosity i read summaries and i think there is only one thing i couldn't remove from the plot,the rest is all unnecessary fluff

You'd be 100% incorrect then.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Which is part of the reason that I'm not really that interested in long-running anime series.
dog

Himu

While One Piece certainly has villains like that, not every story arc is like that. For example, the recent arc was just a big war between two forces (three? four?), and Luffy and co also do questionable things just for the hell of it like storming a Marine fortress. You have to remember that in the world of One Piece, the main cast *are* considered the bad guys.

So no, it's not typical shounen formula.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
"It's not a typical shounen series, guys! Because, see, the main guys are actually kind of the like the bad guys! It's TOTALLY different!"
dog

Himu

For someone who hasn't read or watched a lick of One Piece, you don't know anything about the formula or how fresh it is. Most shounen stories of this type are about the battles, One Piece is about the adventure and story and characters.
IYKYK

Himu

I'm amazed Rumbler is going to try to use the "LOL IT'S VILLAIN OF THE WEEK STORY" excuse when he pimps Fist of the North Star, which is nothing 100 episodes of that. One Piece takes the formula, enhances and freshens it, and puts a grand story of adventure and awesome on top. And it takes 2 weeks to read 500 chapters.

You're running out of excuses, Rumbler!
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I've pimped Fist of the North Star? :rofl
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I wouldn't know, since I've only watched ONE episode of the series.  :lol

The movie is hilariously-awful though, in that Mad Max-ripoff, gobs of super-violence everywhere kind of way. It's like MD Geist, but not mind-numbingly bad.
dog

Himu

Well SOMEONE was pimping FotNS while raising their noses at long series'. Might as well not watch The Wire! It contains over 100 1 hour episodes! That's AT LEAST 200 anime episodes!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:36:07 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7

Which is part of the reason that I'm not really that interested in long-running anime series.

ahahahahah yea
villain of the week shows are just boring

:duh
i forgot they rack up a new character every time a villain is defeated! i guess that's somewhat important in the long run...
:teehee

Might as well not watch The Wire! It contains over 100 1 hour episodes! That's AT LEAST 200 anime episodes!

ayup,it's the same reason why i think people watching stuff like lost are crazy
<----

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I remember watching Bleach for a bit and finding the Spirit Soul Society? arc to be one of the most obscene examples of filler ever.
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Well SOMEONE was pimping FotNS while raising their noses at long series'. Might as well not watch The Wire! It contains over 100 1 hour episodes! That's AT LEAST 200 anime episodes!

Yep, I don't watch The Wire either. :patel
dog

magus

• LIKES FF7
the only thousand and thousand episode series i have ever seen is scrubs and that was only because it was totaly worth it

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

and even with that i haven't bothered watching it all
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I'd watch a one thousand episode Ghost in the Shell series with super-awesome animation and the best writing since the Renaissance.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
There is nothing wrong with a "long series".

What's poor is an artificially long series that keeps recycling the same plots over and over again.

There are definitely Western shows that basically extend forever like Star Trek or Doctor Who and others that are equivalent to the never ending anime series that I tend to make fun of. Hell look at law and order.

That being said the anime that I tend to favor tends to have a set length and then stop. I'm not overly a fan of the really long ones because they seem to be full of filler and the same thing happening over and over.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
That being said the anime that I tend to favor tends to have a set length and then stop. I'm not overly a fan of the really long ones because they seem to be full of filler and the same thing happening over and over.

Yeah, I stick pretty much exclusively to shows that are 13 or 26 episodes, unless it's something that really interests me. Most of the shows that run more than 100+ episodes just don't, so I don't bother watching them. Simple as that.
dog

Himu

I actually usually feel the same way. But One Piece is an exception. Then again, I read a lot of manga that have been going on for YEARS, like One Piece, Berserk, Vagabond or Blade The Immortal. The stories are long, but they tend to have some of the best stories in comics. Sometimes it's worth it. Not all long stories are aimless like crappy super hero comics!
IYKYK

Beezy

:o :o :o

Costanza

http://wastingyourlife.com/forums/on-topic/go-watch-the-it-crowd-879.html

costanza how could you

Who cares. It's like a 18 or 19 year old kid telling people what is worthwhile in entertainment. It's laughable.

drew

• sy
dont forget introducing me to one of the greatest sites on the internet, lay off him or come over there and cut you like a kebab

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

I'd say it's more like 50% incorrect.

OP is still awesome as fuck though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402204

I don't speak Japanese, but what are the chances of me getting a job in a hyper-competitive field there?

Konnichiwa, Miyamoto-sama. Your games are so kawaii. I'd like to work on the next Zeruda game with you (Rinku is Mai Waifu ^_^). Despite the fact that I am an unworthy gaijin, I have lots of skills and am no baka. Arigatou for you time.
©@©™

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
yeah, i stay away from grains and sugar, too, but ohhhhhh even a single glass of wine will set me back a day. too cruel.
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
yeah, i stay away from grains and sugar, too, but ohhhhhh even a single glass of wine will set me back a day. too cruel.

omg u posted in the wrong thread lol
🍆🍆

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
oh my, what a バカ

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

I don't speak Japanese, but what are the chances of me getting a job in a hyper-competitive field there?

Threads like this were most of the reason why the Tokyopia boards ceased to exist. Everyone just wanted to know how they could get a job as a game dev in Japan, while all the actual game dev people were telling them no, you can't do it and even if you did, it sucks.
vjj

lordoftherink

Might as well not watch The Wire! It contains over 100 1 hour episodes! That's AT LEAST 200 anime episodes!

The Wire is 60 episodes.

Beezy

:lol :-\ :lol

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am

I was worried about checking this thread and you've confirmed my fears.

if you want to get into Japan and be able to work the best was is to teach English. Once you're there and have a job you can start figuring out the rest

itm

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned

Ban Prole, have Willco post a two paragraph self serving post about how things are done around here and how if anyone doesn't like it they are free to go to other forums if they want before locking this up and reposting the OP himself.

ban prole
leper willco
icon cohen
duc

BobFromPikeCreek

lol. I can't go to WYL. It says I'm forbidden and then says "REASON: KOREAN SUSPICIOUS"
zzzzz

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Ban Prole, have Willco post a two paragraph self serving post about how things are done around here and how if anyone doesn't like it they are free to go to other forums if they want before locking this up and reposting the OP himself.

And ban Cohen for backseat modding.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

ban prole
leper willco
icon cohen

But what is the solution to the question of Malek?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
lol. I can't go to WYL. It says I'm forbidden and then says "REASON: KOREAN SUSPICIOUS"

Screenshot please
fat

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
The funny thing is, virtually every foreigner I know who ended up working for a Japanese game company did that.  Hopped over on the NOVA express and used the time to make contacts, improve their Japanese, and apply for jobs.  It's not the worst advice.  Or at least, it wasn't back when the English teaching business was in better shape.

yup - though some then end up jumping back out of Gaming back into English when they realise how bad things are pay wise which is a little sad.

:o what kind of average pay do they get in the game industry in japan?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
What you get in damn near any entry level full-time job - 250,000 yen/mo.

The whole system is crazily top-heavy - imagine if Cliffy B got all of the royalties from the Gears series and gave everyone else a bonus of a few thousand dollars at the end of it. That's the Japanese gaming co. pay scheme. And that's for a game that actually made money.

vjj

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
well, sounds like japan alright

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
The funny thing is, virtually every foreigner I know who ended up working for a Japanese game company did that.  Hopped over on the NOVA express and used the time to make contacts, improve their Japanese, and apply for jobs.  It's not the worst advice.  Or at least, it wasn't back when the English teaching business was in better shape.

I am shocked this actually works, or worked. It's like saying "Want to be a doctor, go watch a bunch of Grey's Anatomy episodes and hang out at a hospital".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:59:32 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever

I am shocked this actually works, or worked. It's like saying "Want to be a doctor, go watch a bunch of Grey's Anatomy episodes and hang out at the hospital".

Games need to be localized so most firms find it expedient to have English speakers around.
vjj

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I hear Ignition is hiring!
fat

BobFromPikeCreek

Screenshot please

zzzzz

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
2Crazy2Korea
:9

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

:lol :-\ :lol

He sounds bored or high or both.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
At least the webmaster of that site has graciously decided to provide you with an e-mail link to start a trouble ticket about this block, Mr. Korean Suspicious.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Isnt that forum hosted on some torrent website? We should report it to the proper people and get this craaazy ordeal straightened out!
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

The whole system is crazily top-heavy - imagine if Cliffy B got all of the royalties from the Gears series and gave everyone else a bonus of a few thousand dollars at the end of it. That's the Japanese gaming co. pay scheme. And that's for a game that actually made money.

I made more money than that monthly on JET.  That's crazy!

Just about everyone I have talked to working in IT has also told me that you make like half as much doing the same work in Japan as you would elsewhere.  Still, I wouldn't mind living there again.  If I could somehow find a good job near the in-laws, we'd get their house and have no rent/mortgage to have to bother with.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:52:22 AM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

I made more money than that monthly on JET.  That's crazy!

Just about everyone I have talked to working in IT has also told me that you make like half as much doing the same work in Japan as you would elsewhere.  Still, I wouldn't mind living there again.  If I could somehow find a good job near the in-laws, we'd get their house and have no rent/mortgage to have to bother with.

I thought you were disgusted at living with your in-laws.  Their dogs left shit everywhere and your father-in-law kept waking up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet or whatever.
PS4