Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780652 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
How can anyone listen to this shit. It's nothing more than a Christian facade over mainstream rap, completely biting Drake's dumb simile rapping style ("they can call us Outkast. Andre") and referencing countless secular songs lol. If you want to listen to secular music, listen to it. Don't listen to Christian music pretending to be secular music

I've been biting my tongue whenever someone sends this to me on facebook but it's getting hard

All christian music has been like this forever. That being said this sounds no worse than anything else I hear in mainstream rap and its no less calculated so I don't have that big an issue with it.

On a deeper level r&B and soul music were simply gospel music brought out of the church so I understand on one level when religious people try to reverse the tactic although of course it tends to end up being corny.

It's not worse per se, but the intent behind it is more nauseating. The "cool Christian" thing is beyond corny, whether they're black or white. I'd imagine this angle brings people to church but it probably doesn't get anyone hooked to the religion. Friends of mine constantly invite me to see Christian movies that are quite violent action flicks, but have some Christian angle and I'm like meh...I'll stick with Die Hard dudes.

Churches have been moving from religion to entertainment for countless years, and it's not surprising the music takes a similar path. I've gone to my grandma's mega church a few times and while the pastor does some preaching about a generic inspiration subject, the vast majority of service consists of dancing and singing. It's a party.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
It's not worse per se, but the intent behind it is more nauseating. The "cool Christian" thing is beyond corny, whether they're black or white. I'd imagine this angle brings people to church but it probably doesn't get anyone hooked to the religion. Friends of mine constantly invite me to see Christian movies that are quite violent action flicks, but have some Christian angle and I'm like meh...I'll stick with Die Hard dudes.

Churches have been moving from religion to entertainment for countless years, and it's not surprising the music takes a similar path. I've gone to my grandma's mega church a few times and while the pastor does some preaching about a generic inspiration subject, the vast majority of service consists of dancing and singing. It's a party.

To play devil's advocate I get the idea behind I like the sound of a certain music but I may not necessarily like the lyrics or "message" behind a certain music. Especially if the music is profane to certain ears.

The rest of that stuff is a separate issue to me regarding the church. I'm an atheist so I think all church is silly but honestly I at least understand the notion of church being entertainment. I'm fine with that. Probably better when its treated that way rather than as something very serious imo anyway.

I was once listening to some song on the radio that I thought was pretty cool. And then I realized somehow my car radio had ended up on a religious music channel somehow. I was immediately annoyed because I felt duped. As if they were tricking me by making it sound like other popular music And then I realized that was kind of a silly attitude to have. I might not like the music because of the message behind it but then I realized that was the exact same behavior of so called religious people who listen to mainstream music. So its a bit silly for me to get all high and mighty in that regard even If I don't like "christian" music
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:07:59 PM by Stoney Mason »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
I think it's more that most music and genres come from a certain background and perspective, and when Christian music co-opts that it comes off as phoney at best, incredibly cynical at worst.

I like alot of Bluegrass/old-time Folk music and half of it is about Jesus and old-time religion, but I don't cringe listening or playing it because it was written from a genuine place. Same I suppose with Gospel, though it isn't my thing.
___

Phoenix Dark

I think it's more that most music and genres come from a certain background and perspective, and when Christian music co-opts that it comes off as phoney at best, incredibly cynical at worst.

I like alot of Bluegrass/old-time Folk music and half of it is about Jesus and old-time religion, but I don't cringe listening or playing it because it was written from a genuine place. Same I suppose with Gospel, though it isn't my thing.

That's a good point. Whereas the majority of "hip" Christian music today is simply a calculated attempt to attract secular audiences. Of course, mainstream "secular" music is no less calculating, often with different intentions no less cynical; and sometimes the intent is similar, like Creed and other bands flirting with Christian audiences to gain more listeners.

My old roommate constantly pimps a host of Christian entertainment that is simply Christianity wrapped in something else. Not surprising considering these are people who honestly believe most secular entertainment (Harry Potter for instance) is satanic with a bow wrap on it. It never comes off as genuine or even very religious. Just a bunch of vague code language. I grew up in a Christian home, and naturally heard a shit ton of gospel music. There isn't anything "fake" about that style of music, it's genuine praise/gospel music - not someone sitting around in a lab wondering how to convert Lil Wayne fans into Christians for instance.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
Religious music also bought us Katy Perry- look how she turned out. This was a honest crossover:
[youtube=560,345]wRayKxgePQI[/youtube]

smh PD most lil' Wayne fans would call themselves 'Christians' just because people irl operate in shades of grey

I wonder if they have Christian clubs where they side hug to shit like this?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:36:40 PM by Fresh Prince »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Isn't the point of these hip christian musicians, to give christians some current sounding music to listen to without having to sacrifice their strong moral fiber?

regardless, it's incredibly annoying. There are plenty of groups or artists who are inoffensive and genuinely make good music, so there really isn't any need for some shitty, no flow having, bullshit christian rapper blubbering about abstinence.

Fresh Prince

From personal experience Christian girls club and shit but they're in a group, there's always a guy to make sure nothing untoward happens. And when do girls listen to lyrics when they're fucking dancing?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:42:14 PM by Fresh Prince »

Stoney Mason

That's a good point. Whereas the majority of "hip" Christian music today is simply a calculated attempt to attract secular audiences. Of course, mainstream "secular" music is no less calculating, often with different intentions no less cynical; and sometimes the intent is similar, like Creed and other bands flirting with Christian audiences to gain more listeners.

My old roommate constantly pimps a host of Christian entertainment that is simply Christianity wrapped in something else. Not surprising considering these are people who honestly believe most secular entertainment (Harry Potter for instance) is satanic with a bow wrap on it. It never comes off as genuine or even very religious. Just a bunch of vague code language. I grew up in a Christian home, and naturally heard a shit ton of gospel music. There isn't anything "fake" about that style of music, it's genuine praise/gospel music - not someone sitting around in a lab wondering how to convert Lil Wayne fans into Christians for instance.

I think its easy to be cynical with a lot of that sort of music because it is calculated. But then a lot of "real music" is equally calculated. I use to know someone who put out christian hip hop and it sounded lame to me but he was earnest about it. It just so happened that his monetary interest coincided with his religion which coincided with his musical choice.

I generally hate christian music although there are certainly artists who have faith and religion as a big part of their music that I do like. Johnny Cash, Stevie Wonder, and Al Green spring to mind. I'm just saying sometimes they all aren't hucksters. It's more about how annoying and in your face they are with it sometimes.  

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Are there any "christian artists" that aren't from the US?

I live in the bible belt of a Christian nation and people around these parts are are quite open and understanding of their heathen brethren compared to their American counterparts. Like, my mother subscribes to a christian news paper and they write about proper news and the like. They even sided with the gays when an homophobe author won an award for some homophobe book.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
True, lots of real music may be calculated in order to sell more units, but I'm rarely left in any doubt about the artists' conviction that they really wants to fuck those hos and do those drugs. Except for maybe Ricky Martin, these are things I find it easy to believe strutting posers on TV wanting to do.
vjj

Fresh Prince

Bu bu bu people have beliefs contrary to mine and wish to express it through music. I bet you cormac most of those rappers want\have the caring wife, the big house in the suburbs and the kids maybe they have some on the side but nothing crazy. See: Snoop Dogg and LL Cool J's wives.

Stoney Mason

I live in the bible belt of a Christian nation and people around these parts are are quite open and understanding of their heathen brethren compared to their American counterparts. Like, my mother subscribes to a christian news paper and they write about proper news and the like. They even sided with the gays when an homophobe author won an award for some homophobe book.

There is a lot of christian music that comes from an honest place (meaning while I think religion is foolish they seem to be earnest about it) I'm not super aware of that dude Phoenix Dark posted. I was more coming from the angle that until he does something really annoying or evil, or hypocritical its probably a bit much to attack him. At least on hypocrisy grounds. If he doesn't like the music that is a separate and valid criticism.

Fresh Prince

[youtube=560,345]iHclc4c3Cgo[/youtube]
This song is much better. I bet you could slip this in and get away with it.

The chorus is catchy  :-\
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:14:02 PM by Fresh Prince »

Robo

Man, Clooney is drunk as fuck in this gif.  :lol
obo

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

There is a lot of christian music that comes from an honest place (meaning while I think religion is foolish they seem to be earnest about it) I'm not super aware of that dude Phoenix Dark posted. I was more coming from the angle that until he does something really annoying or evil, or hypocritical its probably a bit much to attack him. At least on hypocrisy grounds. If he doesn't like the music that is a separate and valid criticism.
Oh I'm sure that even the dude PD posted creates music that he burns for, but I'm talking more about there being a market for it, people who listen to this while shunning the artists who don't wear their religious convictions on their sleeve.
But I guess you could chock up a large portion of inoffensive teenie-bopper and country music's popularity to the religious crowd, so maybe I'm just overreacting.

Stoney Mason

Oh I'm sure that even the dude PD posted creates music that he burns for, but I'm talking more about there being a market for it, people who listen to this while shunning the artists who don't wear their religious convictions on their sleeve.
But I guess you could chock up a large portion of inoffensive teenie-bopper and country music's popularity to the religious crowd, so maybe I'm just overreacting.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/christian-songs#/charts/christian-songs

There is definitely a market for this stuff. I don't have a problem with a group of people being turned off by and large by the themes of pop music. I also fall into that group for different reason of course. The difference being I don't want to solely listen to another brand of music that sounds just like the pop stuff but with all the nouns replaced with Jesus.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Christian rap or Justin Bieber, it's all the same to me.

:poop
dog

etiolate

1. Most Christian pop and rock is formulaic crap. What makes it worse is that its a copy of a copy, since they are emulating emulated sincerity. If I was God, Id be pissed. Dedicating this heartless junk to me? You think God doesn't have ears?

Meanwhile, I love a lot of bluegrass/folk that is inspired by old spirituals, have some russian spiritual folk, Shaker Songs, etc. All very enjoyable, either musically or for their spiritual purpose. Christian pop reminds me of veggie burgers. Shit trying to be shit it was not intended to be.

2. Still, Christian America only gets freaked out by sexuality or drug references. As long as Disney Pop princess stays away from this then they will buy it up. The sins of greed, materialism and pride that inhibit mainstream pop does not deter them at all.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
yeah but if you slow down beiber you get sigur ros

you slow down christian hip hop you get christ and screwed.

Tonya

Fresh Prince

2. Still, Christian America only gets freaked out by sexuality or drug references. As long as Disney Pop princess stays away from this then they will buy it up. The sins of greed, materialism and pride that inhibit mainstream pop does not deter them at all.
Not only in America, not only in Christendom either.

Solo

I love how Amir0x plays GAF judge, jury and executioner in that fake death thread on GAF. Sure, the OP lied, but there is something fucked up about him being put down by a scumbag junkie mod who steals shit and beats his own mother up, all the while with people just waiting to get on their knees and polish his knob  :lol

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
I love how Amir0x plays GAF judge, jury and executioner in that fake death thread on GAF. Sure, the OP lied, but there is something fucked up about him being put down by a scumbag junkie mod who steals shit and beats his own mother up  :lol

And drives drunk.  :smug
MMA

Solo

I love how Amir0x plays GAF judge, jury and executioner in that fake death thread on GAF. Sure, the OP lied, but there is something fucked up about him being put down by a scumbag junkie mod who steals shit and beats his own mother up  :lol

And drives drunk.  :smug

Seriously. The model of moral intergrity, I tell you!

Fresh Prince

Was he the guy who beat his mother up for Seinfeld?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

I think it was South Park.
dog

Fresh Prince

:lol

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick

That would be ok, but the asshole did it for South Park :rofl
Drunk

Himu

:rofl @ that gaf fake murder thread
IYKYK

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
Veidt is such a loser in that thread :rofl
うぐう

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace

Yea whats that all about?.

its just a ban

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
sad

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

If you can't laugh at someone getting banned for being a moron, then what CAN you laugh at?
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
That GAF thread isn't surprising at all.  It is what happens when you make it a cesspool for asocial virgin types, beta male raging, people scoffing at hygiene, Alfarif, and various fucked up nerd fantasies (like closet furries) that are created from years of social marginalization.

I'm not surprised this threads aren't more frequent!

He's an admin or a mod at WYL.  The poor bastard probably went to school on the short bus.
🍆🍆

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
amirox posted a new pic of himself

nsfw
nat

Diunx

I see he lost some weight.
Drunk

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
How the hell did that murder/rape hoax thread get to be 80 something pages?! WTF? Why? How is that necessary?

Meds are sooo kickin in. :pimp I have half of one eye open and the other one, uhhh not sure. Think it melted off my face and landed on the floor.
(|)

Diunx

Maybe you should go ly down.
Drunk

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
How the hell did that murder/rape hoax thread get to be 80 something pages?! WTF? Why? How is that necessary?

Meds are sooo kickin in. :pimp I have half of one eye open and the other one, uhhh not sure. Think it melted off my face and landed on the floor.

best time to play FAT PRINCESS :hyper
UNF

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Maybe you should go ly dow,

Fixed.
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
thanks!
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man

:lol :bow
:9

bachikarn

amirox posted a new pic of himself

nsfw

lol, is that the picture he got in trouble for at work?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
That Amirox drawing is seriously intriguing in that the detail in the penis is a little much. I mean, who would look at a scorpion dog, in a comic, and complain that there's no half chub penis that mirrors the scorpion dog's current temperament. Plus the dick looks like a dick thats on a really fat dude where the dudes mass sort of dwarfs the penis oh god why do I know this.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
That Amirox drawing is seriously intriguing in that the detail in the penis is a little much. I mean, who would look at a scorpion dog, in a comic, and complain that there's no half chub penis that mirrors the scorpion dog's current temperament. Plus the dick looks like a dick thats on a really fat dude where the dudes mass sort of dwarfs the penis oh god why do I know this.

You're assuming that someone like Amirox has a normal thought process.
dog

Himu

[youtube=560,345]PmVnin3MUqk[/youtube]
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Plus the dick looks like a dick thats on a really fat dude where the dudes mass sort of dwarfs the penis oh god why do I know this.

Blue is sporting a chubby thumper... that is so kawaii ^_^
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
[youtube=560,345]PmVnin3MUqk[/youtube]

:rofl
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Plus the dick looks like a dick thats on a really fat dude where the dudes mass sort of dwarfs the penis oh god why do I know this.

Blue is sporting a chubby thumper... that is so kawaii ^_^

Looks like a clenched white knuckled fist  :-[

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
there's a site dedicated to a fat guy with a small penis who has sex, and all the women, including the woman behind the camera, laugh at him and his penis. and he's a pretty fast cummer. poor guy.
zzz

Phoenix Dark

Saw a couple of those videos for laughs, but after that it was no longer funny. It really seems like the guy has some mental problems with the way he sits there all calm and explodes.

Himu

there's a site dedicated to a fat guy with a small penis who has sex, and all the women, including the woman behind the camera, laugh at him and his penis. and he's a pretty fast cummer. poor guy.

link
IYKYK

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
is it that tubby bob site? wonder if demi's fapped to that shit already.
うぐう

Raban

• The baby...

So I guess the cat's outta the bag then...
SRY

bachikarn

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Is amir0x hanging out in any Harry Potter threads? Made me wonder if that's how he's imaging what his animal representation would be - Harry get's a Stag, amir0x get's a scorpion dog with a chub and three titties.
___

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator

Tubby Bob, he is old news... I've seen plenty of fat guys with small cocks on xtube/yuvutu
fat

lennedsay

• Senior MILF

Holy shit! Did I post this? WTF!!! I don't even remember that! Thank god it's documented.

A few weekends ago, my husband was all  :-* and "Last night... mmmmm..." and I was like, " :-* I know..." and he was like, "Especially that second time....  :-*" and I was like, "There was a second time?  ???"

I take these new medications at night before bed, and I'm fine for a half hour or hour, and all of a sudden I get all sloppy like a dumb whore and don't remember a thing, then just black out and eventually pass out.  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:rock Fat Princess :rock
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Always carrying the weight on your team (literally) :fbm
[close]
(|)

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
spicing it up with date-rape drugs? been married that long?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
sounds hot
AMC

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
Apparently my doc's been giving me the good shit.  :-*

The meds have all around horrible side effects. :teehee One is also used for depression, so it makes me happy. One has a risk for weight loss. The other one that helps me sleep is a muscle relaxer. Basically I've been feeling great, and my copay is only $10 a month for each. What's the catch, doc? What's the fucking catch?!

I have had some negative side effects, but it's silly stuff like numbness in my hands sometimes. Okay, who gives a shit. The only thing that could make this better is if they came in gummi bear form.
(|)