Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780698 times)

Mupepe

• Icon
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Here!)
« Reply #17880 on: November 08, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: The Outside Link Thread (All Your GAF, OA, SA, YouTube, etc. Links Go In Here!)
« Reply #17881 on: November 08, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
That is awesome.
©ZH

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17882 on: November 08, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »
I laughed way too hard at the tampax joke.
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #17883 on: November 08, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #17884 on: November 08, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
The first time I said I was leaving, I was gone for six months and then came back because a couple of my friends were asking me to.  The other two times I left, there were always intended to be and stated to be "breaks"... just a month or two off to enjoy the summer, usually. 

I've no intention of this one being a "break", and the friends who asked me to come back before aren't there anymore.  I won't be going back this time.  Nor can I.  I made a random password change on my account, so I couldn't log in even if I wanted to.

Ah, gotcha. Well, for what it's worth, I enjoyed your posts on gaf, so it's kind of a shame you won't be there anymore.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17885 on: November 08, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
Can't wait to buy a seedbox so I can get all the Beatles outtakes that are like 500mb a pop.
USA

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #17886 on: November 08, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
I remember that Australia Post racism thing.
itm

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17887 on: November 08, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »
pcp

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #17888 on: November 08, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »
I saw that thread on GAF. I approve.
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17889 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
1993's is too convoluted. 2010's is better.
fat

Himu

« Reply #17890 on: November 08, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
Man, I dled your stuff and now my ration is .64, Methodis. Fuck.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #17891 on: November 08, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
sandbox killed level design

Himu

« Reply #17892 on: November 08, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »
sandbox killed level design

::) :-\

sandbox games are just over glorified action adventure titles. what you just said is the equivalent of ZELDA KILLS LEVEL DESIGN
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #17893 on: November 08, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »
I'm not sure about that. Sandbox philosophy is providing an open space, throwing in toys and letting things happen. Levels designed to have particular routes, cross-points and angles require more complexity. Opening things up and adding more things to do became technically achievable and a lot easier, at least compared to designing a good, balanced 3d maze. 

The same thing happened with 3d platform control. Mario 64 featured three dimension jumps and punches, which required more spatial reasoning and accurate hit detection. When the wide width spin attack was introduced, it went around those challenges and offered an easier answer to landing on and dealing with enemies in 3d space. Now even Mario uses it, but make no mistake, its a simpler, easier answer. It requires less accurate hit detection and less spatial reasoning. Get near it, spin it, kill it.

Himu

« Reply #17894 on: November 08, 2010, 06:39:50 PM »
In the case of Mario, the controls are objectively better, though.

In the case of sand box, it depends. The level design becomes the mission design. The mission design is where the designer designs a mission around set parameters and it's up to the player to resolve it.
IYKYK

Pringo

« Reply #17895 on: November 08, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412524

Is this policy brand new or did I miss any discussion on it earlier? Some threads I go to are being moved to the online forum and now I'm not going to be able to even read them since my account is banned and you need to login to access the board. So dumb.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #17896 on: November 08, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »

:bow doom, king of all games :bow2

In the case of sand box, it depends. The level design becomes the mission design. The mission design is where the designer designs a mission around set parameters and it's up to the player to resolve it.

the problem with this is that the level design still usually feels half-assed & forced.  thinking gta's run-n-gun missions specifically.  quality old-school level design was often made of tighly-designed puzzles and enemy placement. unfortunately sandbox and heavily scripted games are what sell (not that i don't like either of these types of games), so the old way gets neglected. 
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17897 on: November 08, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »

Is this policy brand new or did I miss any discussion on it earlier? Some threads I go to are being moved to the online forum and now I'm not going to be able to even read them since my account is banned and you need to login to access the board. So dumb.

Might as well kill them off... at least I got some decent deals from the Buy/Sell thread :shh
fat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #17898 on: November 08, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »

It's new but they've always tried to push that online forum even though nobody ever reads it or goes there. Any shooter thread with a MP portion will always essentially turn into mostly an MP thread because those are the only people who still want to discuss it.

Himu

« Reply #17899 on: November 08, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »

:bow doom, king of all games :bow2

the problem with this is that the level design still usually feels half-assed & forced.  thinking gta's run-n-gun missions specifically.  quality old-school level design was often made of tighly-designed puzzles and enemy placement. unfortunately sandbox and heavily scripted games are what sell (not that i don't like either of these types of games), so the old way gets neglected. 

i don't understand this "old school design" is dead argument when stuff like Super Meat Boy, Mario Galaxy, After Burner Climax among others are released this very year.

IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17900 on: November 08, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »
Look at this asshole. This is why that place sucks. Its not about talking about the the game for him. It's about validation.

Quote from:  Blueblur1
They've been trying to force us to use the online forum for quite some time now. I'm not surprised by this move at all. It kind of makes sense but it also takes Halo out of the limelight and will surely leave many thinking that GAF doesn't care about Halo anymore. Ugh.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17901 on: November 08, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
That's stupid as hell. The StarCraft thread has spawned a very nice community, and I'd imagine the thread has many lurkers - as do the other threads like Halo Reach's. All meet-up and online tournament creating threads are in the online forum, why should the game's official thread go there too? I suppose the front page of the gaming forum was cluttered last weekend with a SC2, MLG tournament, and GSL tournament thread all for the same game. But if the game is popular and has a legitimate reason to have multiple threads, why is that a problem?

Himu

« Reply #17902 on: November 08, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
what about street fighter IV thread? lmao put that in the online forum
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17903 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
That's stupid as hell. The StarCraft thread has spawned a very nice community, and I'd imagine the thread has many lurkers - as do the other threads like Halo Reach's. All meet-up and online tournament creating threads are in the online forum, why should the game's official thread go there too? I suppose the front page of the gaming forum was cluttered last weekend with a SC2, MLG tournament, and GSL tournament thread all for the same game. But if the game is popular and has a legitimate reason to have multiple threads, why is that a problem?

meh. I can't really bother to care.

Honestly it's probably a power trip move by Evilore to stop groups like that Rockband group from popping up. Either way though who cares.

And the SF 4 thread is now in the multiplayer section.

Himu

« Reply #17904 on: November 08, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »
:rofl

don't a good amount of today's popular games feature online? why not just put them all in the online forum, a forum no one reads (and in many cases CAN'T read)?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17905 on: November 08, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
It kinda makes since though because without a search feature, once a thread is gone from the front page it's hard to find, so if they put all the megathreads in a forum that nobody uses, they'll always be on the front page where you can find them.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #17906 on: November 08, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Rman

« Reply #17908 on: November 08, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »
Evilore seems to want to have GAF focus more and more on news.  Hence the new news new threads policy.  Also they have that stickied GAF user reviews thread.  It seems to be less about ''community'' than about news, news, news.

It's his site, so whatever.

Himu

« Reply #17910 on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
Evilore seems to want to have GAF focus more and more on news.  Hence the new news new threads policy.  Also they have that stickied GAF user reviews thread.  It seems to be less about ''community'' than about news, news, news.

It's his site, so whatever.

This is ultimately what made me leave gaf. Our argument when he closed down the negrogaf thread, was ultimately what did it because it showed that was the future of gaf: no more communities within a community. The only reason I stuck around for the few weeks after was mostly because of people I liked. But once Aeana, Segata, et al left, I decided it was time to just not look back. It's just a website. And it's a website that no longer caters to me. If these people don't like what they're doing with the site they should just look somewhere else.
IYKYK

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #17911 on: November 08, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »
News brings in traffic, traffic brings in money. I know it's obvious. The neogaf of old was a kibbutz.

pilonv1

« Reply #17912 on: November 08, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »

I actually like this. Got sick of stuff like the F1 2010 thread being bumped by their stupid multiplayer season.

I posed a few days ago I only use it for news aggregation now so this gets a thumbs up from me. There's no community, there's no discussion, so if I can find news threads quicker then it's awesome.

Anyway this never would have happened without the stupid "Official Thread" boom of the last few years.

edit: online going public soon anyways.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24282408&postcount=15618
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:51:45 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #17913 on: November 08, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
Focusing on news almost contradicts removing the search function.  Removing the search function is almost compatible with the previous community focus: since most posts there are inane fanboy drivel, the posts had no worthwhile content and therefore, not really worth tracking down.  Where news, it is beneficial to possibly search for upcoming game releases, reviews of newer games, etc.

The first time I said I was leaving, I was gone for six months and then came back because a couple of my friends were asking me to.  The other two times I left, there were always intended to be and stated to be "breaks"... just a month or two off to enjoy the summer, usually. 

I've no intention of this one being a "break", and the friends who asked me to come back before aren't there anymore.  I won't be going back this time.  Nor can I.  I made a random password change on my account, so I couldn't log in even if I wanted to.

Couldn't you just send a forgot password request to your e-mail?

Anyway, I've vowed to leave GAF about a dozen times.  For a while, I was gone for about a year.  Now I browse on occasion.  It isn't the board it used to be - not by a long shot but it is entertaining if you look at the right places.  As I get older, I find their asocial ways more amusing than annoying.  I love how some just get into bitter beta nerd balls of rage whining about how unfair society is (read: that it doesn't cater to their asocial quirks nor does society think they are as special as they think they are).

I've also wanted to leave this board a dozen times.  Until I stopped giving a shit.
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #17914 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
I'm not logging into an alt just to check out the Reach daily challenges and keep up with the Bungie playlist updates. Why do admins of boards always feel the need to funnel discussion how they want it? Just leave it the fuck alone already.

pilonv1

« Reply #17915 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I've also wanted to leave this board a dozen times. 

Why would you want to do that?
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #17916 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:25 PM »
TEXP has some sort of issues... something about being holier than thou or something. You know what I mean. That issue.
fat

pilonv1

« Reply #17917 on: November 08, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »
So he's a cigarillo? Got it.
itm

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #17918 on: November 08, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »
Somehow I think believing in eugenics is the biggest bitter beta nerd ball of rage of all.

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17920 on: November 09, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
Great. Can't see GAF posts.

Sorry it was this.

Absolutely reasonable post since they moved all the threads into online gaming.

Originally Posted by Dax01:
I hope I can still talk about campaign in here. Imma gonna do a write up comparing Reach to Halo 1.

followed up by Amirox being his usual small brained ass-holish self.

"There is no rule against you making a thread specifically around discussing HALO Lore/campaigns, so you know. Why don't you do that instead of getting yourself banned?"
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:45:15 AM by Stoney Mason »

archie4208

« Reply #17921 on: November 09, 2010, 09:54:54 AM »
brain_stew is annoying.  He keeps on shitting up the Black Ops thread with his holier than thou PC speak.  I bet you he isn't even going to buy the game and isn't even interested in it outside of flaunting supposed PC superiority.   :-\

Also I have no clue how Amir0x got modded.  I guess the nicest thing I could say about him is that he seems passionate about videogames, but he shoves his beliefs down peoples throats and intimidates people into agreeing with him due to his red title.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #17922 on: November 09, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »
They did this same shit when Halo 3 came out. iirc they required there to be a Halo OT in Gaming and a Halo multiplayer OT in Online. Then when people kept talking about multiplayer in the OT they locked it for a few days. This was within a month of launch when everyone still had a lot to say about single player. If you tried to make a new single player thread they locked that too.

That's when I was done with GAF, after that I only posted negativity until I was banned for it.

Himu

« Reply #17923 on: November 09, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
Great. Can't see GAF posts.

Sorry it was this.

Absolutely reasonable post since they moved all the threads into online gaming.

Originally Posted by Dax01:
I hope I can still talk about campaign in here. Imma gonna do a write up comparing Reach to Halo 1.

followed up by Amirox being his usual small brained ass-holish self.

"There is no rule against you making a thread specifically around discussing HALO Lore/campaigns, so you know. Why don't you do that instead of getting yourself banned?"

ami was the final straw that made me leave. I made an FF9 appreciation thread and the guy comes deliberately to troll FF9. It's just...amazing.
IYKYK

archie4208

« Reply #17924 on: November 09, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »
[youtube=560,345]xIhyZaA8yqo&[/youtube]

Henry Rollins :bow2

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17925 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »
brain_stew is annoying.  He keeps on shitting up the Black Ops thread with his holier than thou PC speak.  I bet you he isn't even going to buy the game and isn't even interested in it outside of flaunting supposed PC superiority.   :-\

He shits up every thread he enters. And because his biases are the same as Evilore and Teknopathetic (PC bias) no one ever does anything about it. Completely sanctioned troll. 

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #17926 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412585
"guys i think that having to waggle to jump is stupid"
"WHAT ARE YOU A DRUGGED GORILLA?!?!?!?"

gaf :(
<----

Robo

« Reply #17927 on: November 09, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »
The guy is complaining about waggle control mechanics in a Wii game. 

distinguished mentally-challenged fellow on the internet: "Dudes, I hate having to move my hands to play all these Nintendo games!"

Nintendo: :miyamoto
obo

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #17928 on: November 09, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
Refusing to improve things for search to be re-enabled should've made it pretty clear it's about money, not the people.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17929 on: November 09, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »
Anyone got a BitGamer invite they'd sell to me since Cuntstanza got me banned?
USA

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #17930 on: November 09, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
old?

[youtube=560,345]in9SiDtJLaU[/youtube]

Chinner

« Reply #17931 on: November 09, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
They did this same shit when Halo 3 came out. iirc they required there to be a Halo OT in Gaming and a Halo multiplayer OT in Online. Then when people kept talking about multiplayer in the OT they locked it for a few days. This was within a month of launch when everyone still had a lot to say about single player. If you tried to make a new single player thread they locked that too.

That's when I was done with GAF, after that I only posted negativity until I was banned for it.
yup right. did the same move with the halo 3 tead with the same promises of changing their approach to the online gaming board. nothing happened, and with the alot of the gaming communities dying they folded. will they do the same again? probably not.

also, i know some of you guys like jerking off and i know some of you guys like avatar so i figure you'll like this
http://www.fleshlight.com/alien/?geoCountryCode=usa
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:17:59 PM by Chinner »

Himu

« Reply #17932 on: November 09, 2010, 07:47:08 PM »
lmfao
IYKYK

drew

• sy
« Reply #17933 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
oh god

« Reply #17934 on: November 09, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

It's apparently a comic book shop east of Seattle somwhere. Bellevue, I think.
野球

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #17935 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »

Overheard: Manabyte
wha

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #17936 on: November 09, 2010, 09:27:47 PM »

how cute
USA

Robo

« Reply #17937 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

Overheard: Manabyte

?
obo

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #17938 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
SMB3 fans annihilated. Icon startselect and send demi some cock pics.
Super Mario World is Miyamoto's favorite Mario game.

:bow Miyamoto :bow2
SRY

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17939 on: November 09, 2010, 11:06:47 PM »

:lol :lol :lol :lol

it looks like one of those posters you win at a county fair
sup