Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 816904 times)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: FitnessBore - 2013 edition
« Reply #4980 on: February 01, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
Jesus, I think I'd take Fen-Phen before nicotine gum
___

cool breeze

« Reply #4981 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
just 'cause it's quicker to type again than search the last few pages - volume of food is what tips CBL into either fat loss or mass gain. I KNOW I said this to awesome-o yesterday :lol There is a sweet spot where you can do both. I can't find it for you.

And Kiefer is advocating a bodybuilding split type of routine, around 5 workouts per week, 2hrs per session. Most people won't need to backload before their workout. I can have a good workout 3 days after the last backload no problem. Just try the base protocol wherein you backload after the workout for a while and see how you do. If your workouts are bad, you may try doing a backload the night before. Again, there is a sweet spot, only you can determine where it lies.

If you ask a specific question I am happy to answer it, but I can't summarize two books in a single post.

Thanks for the help

I'm mainly trying to understand the concept.  I wouldn't mind trying the backload one day, and might recommend the carb nite to others since people here have had good results.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4982 on: February 01, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
I've heard GHB works wonders too!
MMA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4983 on: February 01, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
The science is also there that cutting off half of your body would make you lose weight. But its that other half (death) that gets to people.
USA

« Reply #4984 on: February 01, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »
I don't think I'd want to take an addictive substance to try and lose weight. Proper diet and exercise seems good enough for me.
野球

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4985 on: February 01, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »
I don't think I'd want to take an addictive substance to try and lose weight. Proper diet and exercise seems good enough for me.

You drink coffee, don't you? :smug

/Kiefer
MMA

« Reply #4986 on: February 01, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »

You drink coffee, don't you? :smug

/Kiefer

I also drink evil carb-filled beer, but not to lose weight. :smug
野球

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4987 on: February 01, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »
I mean, hey, if you're happy with that Honda Civic body of yours, by all means.  I'm talking to those who want to be drivin bugattis and lamborghinis. :smug

/Kiefer
MMA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4988 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
 i currently drive a honda element if i have to suck a few dicks smoke a few fegs to get a new lambo then im down
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4989 on: February 01, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »
I don't do half of the stuff Kiefer recommends - don't take leucine, whey hydrosolates, nicotine gum...or cherry turnovers. I would probably take the first two if they were available/cheap
vjj

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4990 on: February 01, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Last night, I saw a little fireplug of a man doing good mornings with about 250 lbs. My lower back shrieked in fear and crawled into my anus.

That's one of those exercises I'm scared to death of.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4991 on: February 01, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »
is that one of those silly crossfit exercises
USA

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4992 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
I don't do half of the stuff Kiefer recommends - don't take leucine, whey hydrosolates, nicotine gum...or cherry turnovers. I would probably take the first two if they were available/cheap

What is the leucine supposed to do?  I've seen it mentioned a blue million times, but I can't find anywhere that says why it's supposed to be good for you.

As for me, I already take protein and creatine.  The protein I'm going to switch to has leucine in it, so I guess that's good.
WTF

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4993 on: February 01, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

What is the leucine supposed to do?  I've seen it mentioned a blue million times, but I can't find anywhere that says why it's supposed to be good for you.

As for me, I already take protein and creatine.  The protein I'm going to switch to has leucine in it, so I guess that's good.

On the wiki for 'Luciene' it sites a study that finds muscle loss is prevented in rats while given luciene.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4502862.stm
:9

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4994 on: February 01, 2013, 07:23:38 PM »

Chapter 27, page 96!
vjj

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #4995 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
try busting out sets of 10s first

if you're that weak, 20 pullups done cleanly will take a long time

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #4996 on: February 01, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Shit, I don't think at my best I've ever managed to pull off more than 16 full, proper pullups in a set.

Hitting even 8 full pullups is perfectly respectable, as far as I'm concerned.
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4997 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »
yeah, 16 is my best too :fbm

and for literally years it was stuck on 13 until it mysteriously started moving again late last year. I don't know why. It can take time. One of the best things the Crossfit founder Gregg Glassman said was (paraphrasing) 'a new pullup PR should be celebrated like a birthday'
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4998 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »
I don't see the point of negatives or jumping pullups btw - if you can do a pull-up that's all you need in order to do more
vjj

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4999 on: February 01, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »
I can't even bust out a full set, but I weigh 180lbs

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #5000 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:15 PM »
Ya, my high of 16 pullups was back at the RCMP training academy when I didn't know anything about real strength training, I weighed 170lbs, and my only benchmarks for strength were pushups and pullups, and pullups was what I was focusing on.

Now that I've actually learned about all that deadlifting, squatting, and benching shit, grew muscle, put on weight, and weigh just shy of 200 lbs  (I hit 197.8lbs on the scale today, down from 205 a month ago!), I can only do 11, maybe 12 on a good day.

edit:  I'll do jumping pullups when I mix things up on certain circuit routines, but otherwise, yeah, full, proper pullups or bust.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:59:05 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #5001 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:18 PM »
So, since I had mentioned doing a tournament, I thought I should give an update.

I did okay, pulled off a silver in my gi divison.  Kinda bombed the no-gi division, though.

Here we are mugging for the camera.

I've put a couple of the matches on youtube, and will put them here, but I must admit that they're pretty boring as far as jiu-jitsu matches go.

The first one, a win for me, was a pretty plodding, tactical affair.  I won on points, outlasting and wearing down my opponent.  I found that I had quite the nervous adrenaline dump due to it being my first tourney in 7 years, so watching it after the fact, I definitely didn't perform as well or as aggressively as I would have wanted to. 

The second match is a loss for me.  I started out well, was surprised when clinching up to find that I was stronger than my opponent, and got the takedown.  Unfortunately from there, I found my conditioning to be lacking, and my opponent gradually wore me out to the point where his submission win was inevitable.

I think one of the problems for me is that I am training in a small club, where I am pretty close to the top dog.  There is a purple belt who runs the classes, who I am competitive with, and can tap him out once for every two times he taps me out.  Then there is a brown belt who drops in, who is just super slick, but I can make him work for his wins.

After that, there are two who have blue belts, like I do, but I have soooo much more experience in the rank that they've never been able to catch me, and then another dozen white belts, who I simply toy with whenever I want to win.

So I think, when it comes to training for competition, I just don't have enough people to really push me into tournament-shape.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:09:44 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5002 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »
haha, Mr Bronze Medal is so salty
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5003 on: February 02, 2013, 12:47:10 AM »
haha, Mr Bronze Medal is so salty

He should be

Clearly the favorite based on looks

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5004 on: February 02, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
Bis, how much you weight now?

Also, what are you doing for military press?

I I just wanna know how hard it is mp bodyweight

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5005 on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:15 AM »
 Beast

you do vertical pushups?

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5006 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »
A friend of mine was talking about the show, "The Biggest Loser" and we were talking about why we liked it and hated it.  I mentioned that I hated the diet programs they were put on because of all the carbohydrates they eat, and how two contestants a season or two back had lost just as much weight at home following a low-carb diet with resistance training.

One of his friends, a nutritionist, jumped in and said that the regular contestants diets were fine, because most people should make carbohydrates 45-65% of their diets. 

What in the hell are these people being taught in the universities?
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5007 on: February 02, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »
I've never actually read it.  Good read?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5008 on: February 02, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »
It's definitely worth a read (moreso than John Grisham anyway :wag), although Taubes is definitely at risk of blaming carbs/insulin for too much, and I think he'll eventually face a backlash even among the Paleo crowd. We now know that there are non-insulin mediated mechanisms for fat storage, which tends to invalidate a lot of his interpretations of the data. That said, he does a ton of great research and the meta-story of how scientists went down the wrong rabbit holes and got corrupted by personal bias, the lure of fame and fortune etc is great even if you have no interest in the dietary story itself. 'Why We Get Fat' is definitely a shorter and more approachable read than GCBC though.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5009 on: February 02, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »
It's definitely worth a read (moreso than John Grisham anyway :wag)

:fbm

THOU SHALT FEEL THE WRATH OF CORMAC

I seriously :lol at this.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5010 on: February 02, 2013, 11:21:57 PM »
Seriously though - Ancel Keys is a more compelling villain than anything in most contemporary thrillers. Your blood will fucking boil I bet
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5011 on: February 04, 2013, 01:09:53 AM »
Any of you ever considered juicing up?

Just out of curiosity, I've been perusing stories from people who are "taking gear"

Freaking hilarious, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5012 on: February 04, 2013, 01:34:32 AM »
do tell? I read Chuck Palahniuk's piece on steroids years ago, very entertaining. I'm sure he was exaggerating like crazy though
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #5013 on: February 04, 2013, 02:39:48 AM »
do tell? I read Chuck Palahniuk's piece on steroids years ago, very entertaining. I'm sure he was exaggerating like crazy though

I immediately thought of Bob with his bitch-tits.
WTF

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5014 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
I read the articles based on Pain & Gain last night and now all people who take steroids will end up murdering innocents and cutting off their heads and stuffing heir corpses in bins while being comically inept in my head.
USA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5015 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
Any of you ever considered juicing up?

Just out of curiosity, I've been perusing stories from people who are "taking gear"

Freaking hilarious, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time
The best thing about reading steroid forums (http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums) are the newbies who only visit the site when their cycle doesn't go as planned. Then when someone calls them stupid for taking this shit without doing research they flip out and tell them they don't know what they're talking about.  Just like most other fitness forums but with much more hilarious consequences.  Guys who don't do proper PCT and can't get their dick up for months after their cycle.  The worst part is that there are so many prohormones that are perfectly legal and sold in random nutrition shops to teenagers who are too stupid to realize what they're doing.

Reading up on the forums is great because of the entertainment and tons of knowledeable people, especially if you train in sports as well. 

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5016 on: February 04, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
Gettin' downvoted on Reddit because I'm telling people that the secret to fitness isn't a self-help book and DVD workout programs.  8)

BUT DO YOU P90X BRO?

Himu

« Reply #5017 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Mups got me on the paleo diet. Last night my shits were :-\ Is this normal?
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5018 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
Make sure you're eating enough fiber and drinking enough water. 

Himu

« Reply #5019 on: February 04, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »
I'll cook a shit ton of spinach tonight and gorge on that. Ate 4 eggs this morning, scrambled.  For lunch I ate prunes.

I've never made this, I'll try it out:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/garlic-sauteed-spinach-recipe/index.html

How much is enough water? I drank like 5 glasses yesterday.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #5020 on: February 04, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
5 glasses is not enough.  Just drink more.  The average person doesn't get nearly enough water.  Also, are you drinking a lot of tea/coffee?  That might compound problems from not getting enough water.  And eat a lot of veggies.  Lots of water.  Lots of veggies.  Can't stress that enough.

Himu

« Reply #5021 on: February 04, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
5 glasses not enough?
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5022 on: February 04, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »
8 glasses is enough. you drink water to clean yourself out
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5023 on: February 04, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »
Carb Nite tomorrow.  :tbslol

Calzone and Ice Cream here I come :tbslol
USA

Fifstar

« Reply #5024 on: February 04, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
How much is 5 glasses? I think 1,5l is a good target for most people unless you eat a lot of salt (which shouldn't be the case if you do paleo properly).

Sometimes even more water gets recommend but I feel I have to piss all the time if I drink more water and I never feel thirsty with that amount of water. Only drink more if it's a hot day or I'm doing sports.
Gulp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5025 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:33 PM »
it has come up before but Mupepe lives in hot and arid Houston so while his suggestions for water seem crazy OTT to me, i'm sure they make sense for Himu
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5026 on: February 04, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
Sort of getting interested in this paleo thing, seems right up my alley honestly...

do you guys make juices and smoothies?  I've been getting into making juices at home so I wondered what your favorites were
püp

Himu

« Reply #5027 on: February 04, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »
Working on body feminization exercises and I found this. Perfect for what I want. I already have thick legs and wide hips so this is good.

If anyone else has tips on feminizing the body I'd really appreciate it.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #5028 on: February 04, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »
Sort of getting interested in this paleo thing, seems right up my alley honestly...

do you guys make juices and smoothies?  I've been getting into making juices at home so I wondered what your favorites were
Our favorite juice is protein powder laced water/milk.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #5029 on: February 04, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
no thank you
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #5030 on: February 04, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »

Our favorite juice is protein powder laced water/milk.

my favorite juice is bacon and eggs, chewed up in my mouf
vjj

Fifstar

« Reply #5031 on: February 05, 2013, 03:32:14 AM »

Well you want to go easy with sugar on paleo, so full on juices and smoothies aren't the best thing. Even proper juice (made 100% from fruit) has about as much sugar as soda.

I ternd to do smoothies with coconut milk and mix them most of the time with only one or two type of fruit. All kinds of berries are your friends as they're really low in sugar.  Pear and coconut tastes great together and sits between berries and bananas regarding sugar content. Blueberries and basil is a nice combination if you want something a little different.
Gulp

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #5032 on: February 05, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
Great, now we have to deal with Himu-ing up of our fitness thread?  :P

Working on body feminization exercises and I found this. Perfect for what I want. I already have thick legs and wide hips so this is good.

If anyone else has tips on feminizing the body I'd really appreciate it.

"Feminization exercises"? Good fucking grief.  :-\

Himu, that vid is not "good" or "perfect for you"

It's a complete joke.
MMA

Himu

« Reply #5033 on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
I don't see how or why. I don't want to train upper body aside from push ups for chest and want to concentrate on lower body/abs.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #5034 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »
I don't see how or why.

Of course not.  I forgot, you are already a fitness expert, able to determine the value of a workout regimen on your own based on nothing more than blatant pandering to hopeful transgenders.  I mean, they even had a fit woman demonstrating the exercises, so you know they must work!

Clearly there is nothing you can learn from this thread.

As the video says, Be sure to do lots of crunches though!  They'll really tone up your stomach and get rid of your beer belly!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:27:32 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Himu

« Reply #5035 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
I didn't say I was a fitness expert. You just didn't accentuate why it's "a complete joke" with actual reasons.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5036 on: February 05, 2013, 11:39:10 AM »
Pushups work your arms and shoulders, as well as your chest.  It's called a compound exercise.

I don't think bigger shoulders are what you are looking for.

Himu

« Reply #5037 on: February 05, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
Ew gross. Trying to lose muscle in arms and shoulders so that's not a good idea.

I'll work on lower body/gut/abs  with cardio. Hopefully that works for me.
IYKYK

Smooth Groove

« Reply #5038 on: February 05, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »
No exercise will make you look like a chick

just get the surgery already

Himu

« Reply #5039 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
I'm not getting any surgery. ???
IYKYK