Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 816956 times)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Re: FitnessBore - 2016 edition
« Reply #6960 on: August 29, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »

Also if you are bulking over a shorter period of time be prepared to use the washroom like 3-4 times a day lol

Fucking this.

From mid-October through Christmas, i felt like I was living on the can.  :-\  :lol
MMA

Fifstar

« Reply #6961 on: August 30, 2016, 04:18:16 AM »
Why are you worried about calorie counting? If you eat an apple and feel good for the next couple of hours, why do you care if it theoretically has "not enough" calories?
Gulp

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6962 on: August 30, 2016, 07:04:26 AM »
Weighing yourself three times a day seems a bit excessive. :holeup Unless you're using it to track water weight which can fluctuate quite a bit under some circumstances.

Oh, it's definitely excessive.  But I'm OCD like that.
MMA

Fifstar

« Reply #6963 on: August 30, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
because big ass calorie deficits will break down muscle mass? :doge

Is your sensation of hunger broken?
Gulp

Fifstar

« Reply #6964 on: August 30, 2016, 08:38:40 AM »
Maybe I'm different but even if I am really full from lots of vegetables, hunger will catch up with me later. I guess you can train your body to be accustomed to a lower calorie count than actually needed.
Gulp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6965 on: August 30, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
So I've been back on the workout train since like March of this year or something.  I initially lost like 8 lbs the first two weeks but then over the next 4 months or something it just stayed in that range and fluctuated up and down.  I saw that I was getting muscle mass back and I looked better but the scale just wasn't moving.

Well, it finally started to tip about 3 weeks ago.  I'm now down 14 lbs in the last 3 weeks.  Nothing has changed on the routine or diet end but it's good to see it finally moving.  I'm also getting really damn close to where I was about 15 months ago in strength.  So I think my body composition is finally settling into "normal" for me again.  But it's a hell of a motivation boost to see that stupid scale start to move. 

405 bench by this time next year.  Set your clocks, boys. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6966 on: August 30, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
Ya I look better too but the scale has stayed the same.  Got to stop eating chinatown food everyday. 

Syph

« Reply #6967 on: August 30, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
Maybe I'm different but even if I am really full from lots of vegetables, hunger will catch up with me later.
at the risk of sounding too obvious, it's because they dont have calories
you may "feel" full for a while, but while you're getting some nutrients/vitamins, you're not getting a plethora of calories, since vegetables and fruits are mostly water
the solution:
bananas
XO

studyguy

« Reply #6968 on: August 30, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
I bought this assload of steel cut oats, never really thought about it since I buy mainly rolled oats, same shit right? Oats.

No, this is fucking birdfood, and I have pounds of it.
For real. Fuck steel cut oats. Chunky ass motherfuckers. :-\
pause

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6969 on: August 30, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
looking better and the scale not moving is probably a good sign you can feel good about tho, probably means more muscle mass and less body fat

weight alone doesn't tell the whole story :yeshrug
Yep.  Not arguing against that.  But when you're overweight it's also hard to argue against the illogical part of your brain that just wants the scale to go lower.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6970 on: August 30, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
That's me right now. The scale is staying about the same but all my clothes are getting much looser so I must be doing something right.

Syph

« Reply #6971 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »
I bought this assload of steel cut oats, never really thought about it since I buy mainly rolled oats, same shit right? Oats.

No, this is fucking birdfood, and I have pounds of it.
For real. Fuck steel cut oats. Chunky ass motherfuckers. :-\
throw them in yogurt
XO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6972 on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:14 PM »
I thought steel cut was the end all according to oatmeal experts. 

El Babua

« Reply #6973 on: August 31, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
The difference between regular and steel cut nutrition wise isn't worth the hassle imo.

I did make a sick porridge with milk and maple syrup when I was bulkan however.

Fifstar

« Reply #6974 on: August 31, 2016, 06:26:39 AM »
Maybe I'm different but even if I am really full from lots of vegetables, hunger will catch up with me later.
at the risk of sounding too obvious, it's because they dont have calories
you may "feel" full for a while, but while you're getting some nutrients/vitamins, you're not getting a plethora of calories, since vegetables and fruits are mostly water
the solution:
bananas

I know, I just was confused as that apparently isn't happening for Dufus.
Gulp

« Reply #6975 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:14 AM »
Saw an ad for paleo-friendly cricket protein bars on my Facebook feed this morning:

https://www.exoprotein.com
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:00:16 AM by Samson Manhug »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6976 on: September 01, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »
I LOL'ed at the "Why Crickets?" question and then the info deal that says "5 crickets per bar"

With that said, I'm ordering a sample pack for $9.99

« Reply #6977 on: September 01, 2016, 08:28:07 AM »
Hold on let me edit that into a referral link!

Edit: It doesn't matter, it doesn't count for the sampler packs anyway.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6978 on: September 01, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
well if I like the sample pack then I'll go back and use your link, bro.  PB&J cricket bars sound oddly amazing.

« Reply #6979 on: September 01, 2016, 09:00:02 AM »
Oh, wow. Yeah, I read the New York Times article from two years ago and the founder was saying they were trying to make an alternative to normal protein bars that are "basically candy bars" so I assumed they were low sugar. I can't recommend these in good conscience.

Also the berries are unnecessarily sweetened  :maf

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6980 on: September 01, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
I bought mostly because - fucking hell, I want to eat some bars made out of crickets.  It might be a nice protein boost on my cheat days too.  I tend to eat too much shit, too little protein on those days.

P.S. Official weigh in today and I'm 15 lbs down from 3 weeks ago.  Feeling great, bros!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:58:26 PM by Mupepe »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6981 on: September 01, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
Get fat on cricket bars  :comeon

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6982 on: September 01, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »
Eating bugs  :kobeyuck

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6983 on: September 08, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
Under 250 for the first time in almost two years! :D

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6984 on: September 18, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
So, I think I'm brave enough to actually post some lifting vids.

As I mentioned in July, I've been dipping my toes in more Olympic-style lifts.   Here is me hitting 245 lbs on a clean and jerk, currently my best.   I probably sound a *little* too excited to hit what is not really all that impressive a number, but prior to the vid, I failed 2 attempts to even pull the bar up into the front squat position, so I was amped when I pulled it off.  :)

MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6985 on: September 18, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »
Thinking about thinking of getting serious in losing weight.  Gonna sleep on it.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6986 on: September 19, 2016, 07:49:31 AM »
So, I think I'm brave enough to actually post some lifting vids.

As I mentioned in July, I've been dipping my toes in more Olympic-style lifts.   Here is me hitting 245 lbs on a clean and jerk, currently my best.   I probably sound a *little* too excited to hit what is not really all that impressive a number, but prior to the vid, I failed 2 attempts to even pull the bar up into the front squat position, so I was amped when I pulled it off.  :)

:heart

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6987 on: September 20, 2016, 08:19:37 PM »
So, as a few of you are aware, I recently got off my ass and joined the Instagram on a whim.

One of the guys who works in my office encouraged me to.  He's......he's trying way too hard to become an "Instagram Fitness Guru."

He's a super nice guy, very encouraging, and enthusiastic, but.........ugh  :yuck

He's always over-the-top earnest, speaking in gimmicky platitudes, like that SixPackShortcuts guy.   His whole shtick to stand out is offering up a daily workout, almost always bodyweight-exercise oriented (fitness everywhere, at home, etc.)  Fair enough.

But....

A)  He calls every one of them a "HIIT workout of the day".....even though his workouts almost never have any "interval" aspect to them, or apply HIIT principles.  They're always just.....regular ol' circuit training.

B) He overloads every.  single.  one. of his posts with the same 20-25 hashtags.   Including tagging every post #deadlifts.....   When he posts bodyweight exercises, and has never posted a pic or a vid of him deadlifting.   Video of him doing Pullups?  #deadlifts.  Pic of a box jump?  #deadlifts   Video of him sprinting?  #deadlifts

(He did tag a video of *me* doing deadlifts, which he said got a lot of views.  So maybe he took from that that he should tag all his posts with #deadlift to get lots of views even though HE DOESN'T FUCKING DO DEADLIFTS ARGGGH)

C)  His workouts are full of gimmicky shit.  "alternating weighted dumbell side lunges."   "5 meter static squat position jump hops to reverse duck-walk." "Dragon crawls" "Rear curtsy lunge" "Pseudo Planche Push ups"  "Cross crunch get ups"

:mindblown

/vent
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6988 on: September 20, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
Sounds like 90% of the gym people I know.  It's about on the same level of people telling me the reason I gain weight so easily is because of the fat in red meat :doge

Just nod and avoid.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6989 on: September 22, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
Weighed in this morning and I'm 20 lbs down over the last two months or so.  And this is without being very strict and of course not counting the increase in lean mass I've definitely gotten.  I'm finally getting my shape back instead of being a blob.

I'm about 50 lbs away from my ultimate goal of 220 lbs or so.  Looking back through pictures I was looking best at that weight with probably around 15% bf.  I was also at my strongest there.  It took me 3+ years to get there and about 8-10 months for it all to completely fall apart.  :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6990 on: September 29, 2016, 03:10:07 AM »
Im at the point in my diet where I should stop losing weight, woke up this morning and I was sub 81 kg.

Now it's time to gain some muscle but I reeeaaaly dont fee like it and the only time Id have is in the morning between getting up at 0530 and leaving at 0730.

I already cycle 13km 5 days a week usually so cardio is sorted, sort of.

Yeah so I lost another 4 kilo since then (76.7 now), really trying to beef up my diet with more in between meals etc. Especially been on it this week to stop the weight loss but it's actually quite hard to increase intake because I just feel full quickly.

Eating gross fatty food is even a worse idea as I tried that twice last week which resulted in diarrhea as my stomach is not used to eating shit anymore.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6991 on: September 29, 2016, 05:44:41 AM »
Was 3 times a day, now trying to up it to 4/5 with the in between snacks.

In total I lost like 8/9 kilo now since the beginning of June, so it's been pretty steady 2/2.5 kilo a month which I think was a healthy sustainable pace.

I've been a bit stressed lately with selling the house and quitting my job so maybe that also influenced some weight loss.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 05:51:51 AM by Premium Lager »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6992 on: September 29, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
For fatty foods, what were you eating? Bacon and other animal fats on meat or chicken are how I fill my calorie gap.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6993 on: September 29, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
I ate fish and chips in our work buffet on thursday and a KFC Zinger Box on sunday (plus pumpkin spice latte).

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6994 on: September 29, 2016, 08:26:38 AM »
I ate fish and chips in our work buffet on thursday and a KFC Zinger Box on sunday (plus pumpkin spice latte).
:lol Fish and chips from a buffet sounds like diarrhea waiting to happen. 

If you're going to go with supplementing your calorie intake with fat (which is not a bad idea at all) you can do it by eating fatty meats or snacking on things like nuts and avocados.  Calories from almonds will add up quick or the fat from natural peanut butter.  Made something for dinner but wanna up the calories?  Throw some cheese on that fucker or bacon bits. 

I saw the post in the other thread about protein shakes - those things are generally very low in calories.  It will be expensive and you won't get very many calories from those.  There are cheaper and easier ways to get your calories.  And quality protein will have you feeling very full with very few calories so you may not get the desired result.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #6995 on: September 29, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
Thanks, that does make sense I guess. Probably best to combine calories with proteins.

So silly to be asking how to gain weight again but it's not that easy after a good diet where you feel like you eat plenty so you don't have some hunger to satisfy.

Should prob really hit some weights now too.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6996 on: September 29, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »
Im starting to run more. I think im even starting to enjoy it. Im alternating doing sprints and consistent jogging. We will see if I can actually get decent at it.

Alcoholic Fish

« Reply #6997 on: September 30, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »
Been running more as well. Just trying to get my one mile time down to something respectable. Also, I heard running after a lift is all sorts of good.

I kinda want to cut a little weight anyways.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6998 on: September 30, 2016, 07:06:48 PM »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6999 on: September 30, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
It's a week away from Canadian Thanksgiving, brehs.

Do I start another epic two-and-a-half-month bulk like I did last year?  Gun for a 500+lbs DL, 300lbs bench, 400+lbs squat, and who knows what on my clean and jerk?

....But I have been soo enjoying the abs on peak-lean Boogie......
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7000 on: September 30, 2016, 09:59:25 PM »
bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk bulk!

Been running more as well. Just trying to get my one mile time down to something respectable. Also, I heard running after a lift is all sorts of good.

I kinda want to cut a little weight anyways.
I've heard similar things that fat burning is more efficient when running after a lift.  Not sure about the science - if there is any - to back it up.  But I've found that things like this make negligible differences at best. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7001 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:26 PM »
Bulk.

Thinking about buying a rowing machine

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And a Gondolier to row it.
[close]

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7002 on: October 02, 2016, 05:14:04 PM »
As if I could have expected any other response.  :lol

I do have a practical concern though, my wardrobe fits me pretty well for 183-190 lbs.  Shit starts to get tight when I creep higher towards 200. lol

Anyway, in preparation in case I do go ahead and bulk, I went to testing some 1RMs today to see where I'm at.

Hit 375lbs on squat, 265lbs on bench (with a failed attempt at 285), aaaand:

475lbs on deadlift.

Which means that my lifts now, at ~188lbs, are just about exactly where I was in January at the end of my bulk at 205lbs.  Pretty cool that in the work I've done in the past 9 months, all that has dropped off has been the bench slightly.

Makes me wonder how high I can get my numbers if I really do focus more on lifting for 2.5 months.  400 squat and 500 DL will fall easily, not sure what the upper range might be though.
MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7003 on: October 02, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »
Looking damn good Boogie! The good thing with the bulk is that most of the extra weight will be temporary. I guess the real question is what are your goals? If you're trying to grow your gainz then I do suggest a bulk. The grind to eek out 5lb increases while maintaining a lean physique sucks and is way too time consuming. Losing weight is way easier than making lean gains.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7004 on: October 04, 2016, 08:00:47 AM »
Finished two cycles of 5/3/1 last week and I'm feeling beat like hell even after the deload. Mentally, I don't want to take a rest week this early while making good progress, but physically I'm really tired. I know the window is every 8-10 weeks. Any opinions? Just take the week?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7005 on: October 04, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
Take the rest week.  I've done 5/3/1 for a long time and there have been times where I've skipped it and it makes the following cycle noticeably more difficult.  I come back much stronger after my rest week.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7006 on: October 04, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Take the rest week.  I've done 5/3/1 for a long time and there have been times where I've skipped it and it makes the following cycle noticeably more difficult.  I come back much stronger after my rest week.

I just got up from the chair to make a cup of coffee in the meantime and even just standing up made my legs groan. So yeah, Rest week it is.

Did manage to help lobby the management of the gym by adding to one of the PT's on the floor's campaign for an expansion by threatening to quit and leave for a better gym. Bringing in more equipment so now there will be two squat racks and flat benches available when I come back and the gym will be expanding in the next year

:rejoice
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:51:55 AM by Take My Breh Away »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7007 on: October 08, 2016, 01:16:06 AM »
Had my overdue health check today; 173.6 cm, 96.3 kg, my doctor, my business partner, and my wife's prospective business associate all said, "You don't look like you weigh that much, but you've got to lose weight."

My BP's 160/99, I asked the doctor for medicine for it. He said, "No, lose weight."

So I guess I'll be losing some weight.

Beezy

« Reply #7008 on: October 08, 2016, 07:48:58 AM »
My BP's 160/99, I asked the doctor for medicine for it. He said, "No, lose weight."
Never do this.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7009 on: October 10, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »
Never do this.

Never take high blood pressure meds, or never ask a doctor for medicine?

Beezy

« Reply #7010 on: October 11, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »
Never do this.

Never take high blood pressure meds, or never ask a doctor for medicine?
Never use medicine for something that you can fix/deal with yourself. I never asked her why, but my mom's a registered nurse and she refuses to ever take high blood pressure medicine. Instead, she changed her diet to get it back down.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7011 on: October 12, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Somehow managed to pull my triceps yesterday, even after warming up and stretching out. Only a minor pull, but still sucks because it's been an on/off problem since last month and it's hurting progress. Decided not to go today for deadlift day, just in case I aggravate it worse. Icing it on and off as well. But it sucks. Worrying I might be doing too much with Wendlers Body Building split even though the last weeks I had not been doing it as much. Not sure if I should just swap the BB split with doing Boring but big and 20 minute HIIT twice a week.

:goty
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:28:05 AM by Take My Breh Away »

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #7012 on: October 14, 2016, 07:06:35 AM »
Two days of icing and heat treatment. Still nothing. Still a Sore spot like a bruise when I press on my right trapezoid and it's not a back knot. When I lifted my gym bag just to even go to the gym it gave a pinch and my arm went numb. I tried some press ups just to test it out and I couldn't even manage two before it just pinched. Looks like I need to see a doctor on Monday.

:goty2
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:14:25 AM by Take My Breh Away »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7013 on: October 14, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
That sucks, bro.  Hope it's nothing too serious.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7014 on: October 14, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
Rowed for 15 mins last night.  Woke up very sore in a good way.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7015 on: October 14, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
I had a protein shake that tasted like chocolate after. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7016 on: October 14, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »
During

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7017 on: October 14, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
 :doge  That sounds awful.  The only thing I'd drink during my workout is a BCAA drink or just straight up water.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7018 on: October 14, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
It wasn't exactly high intensity

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7019 on: October 14, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
It wasn't exactly high intensity
GO BIG OR GO HOME!