Author Topic: risen = wow  (Read 4737 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: risen = wow
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 03:37:02 PM »
tsk tsk, Rumbler :wag
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
I stand by my assessment.
dog

Damian79

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 05:40:09 PM »
Holy shit this game is hard. :'( the first hunter I came across knocked me down and took my sword. All I could buy from him was a bow and there is something I'm not getting with how you shoot the bow.  :maf
I'm gonna have to hold off til I get a better machine to run it. The gray filter makes it impossible to see in the dark.

Choose your battles man.  As for the grey filter, did you get the patch installed?  I thought this was fixed in the patch

EDIT: http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/10/08/download-risen-v1-01-hotfix-patch/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:42:32 PM by Damian79 »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »
I'm running this game with everything on High except shadows and no AA (@ 1400x1050) with a 8800GT, the CPU is my bottleneck (1.8GHz AMD) but it still runs acceptably. Some of the amazing lighting hasn't been lost on this setup... but I could only imagine how it would look at its best.

The load times (quick loading and starting up) is ridunculous though. Its so bad that I actively avoid situations where I might be in over my head, so I don't have to spend 3 minutes looking at a loading screen.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:51:28 PM by BlueTsunami »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 05:52:21 PM »
The load times (quick loading and starting up) is ridunculous though. Its so bad that I actively avoid situations where I might be in over my head, so I don't have to spend 3 minutes looking at a loading screen.

I've never seen a long screen that long, not even the initial start is more than 15-20 seconds or so.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:46 PM »

I've never seen a long screen that long, not even the initial start is more than 15-20 seconds or so.

Shit. I wonder if its my harddrive then (not sure on its speed). I'll have to investigate (cause so far, this is the only shortcoming of this game for me).

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
Holy shit this game is hard. :'( the first hunter I came across knocked me down and took my sword. All I could buy from him was a bow and there is something I'm not getting with how you shoot the bow.  :maf
I'm gonna have to hold off til I get a better machine to run it. The gray filter makes it impossible to see in the dark.

Choose your battles man.  As for the grey filter, did you get the patch installed?  I thought this was fixed in the patch

EDIT: http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/10/08/download-risen-v1-01-hotfix-patch/
:bow Damian79
Thanks so much. Didn't know about the patch. This game went from  :-\ to :omg after the patch. Still so brutal.  :'(
©ZH

Damian79

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
Isnt there a difficulty setting in the game?  I distinctly remember putting it on a higher setting so there must be a lower setting.

Anyway as i said choose your battles, i am pretty sure you dont need to fight that guy.  Come back later and kill him if you really want to.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:22 PM »
Totally fought this large gnome like creature (some sort of Epic in game terms) and holy shit, the whole run up to the thing was so awesome. It was rainy, thundering, gnomes outside my circle of torch light attacking me and my partner. This is my GOTY of 2010 so far (even though its a 09' release).

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 01:28:22 AM »
:bow risen :bow2
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »
yes, it is very much worth $20
duc

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 02:44:08 AM »
I played the demo. Is the full game any better? I don't know what I'm not getting here, but what I played was trash.
SRY

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:24 AM »
you're trash
duc

OptimoPeach

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 03:11:37 AM »
Naw, his problem is that he played it on console.

Not really, but at least he could say that to save face if a console demo existed. I actually thought the demo was pretty sweet, and it even ran alright on my shitty PC
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:13:39 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2010, 03:12:30 AM »
Naw, his problem is that he played it on console

lol, pretty sure Raban is a PC fegget

I will be playing on the trey nasty however
fat

OptimoPeach

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2010, 03:15:10 AM »
Wait, is there actually a 360 demo available already? Maybe I'll try that out as well to see if the controls are truly as horrid as they sound
hi5

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2010, 03:17:28 AM »
No demo... theres one for Divinity 2 though.
fat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
you're trash

So the full game is no different? Alright.

I'm sure the gameplay is fascinating later on, but I can't stomach games that look like they have such low production values. I've played indie games that are more polished than what I just played.

I'm not trying to start shit, I promise. In fact, I'm leaving this thread right now
SRY

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
you're trash

I'm sure the gameplay is fascinating later on, but I can't stomach games that look like they have such low production values. I've played indie games that are more polished than what I just played.

I'm not trying to start shit, I promise. In fact, I'm leaving this thread right now

Not sure how the game comes off in the Demo but the combat mechanics feel real... simple, at the beginning. Once you become proficient at a weapon school the combat really opens up and it feels more like a modern game.

As far as everything else, the game is absolutely beautiful, theres a good amount of hooks for subquests and this game is an explorers dream (once you become strong enough to take on some of the general enemy on the island). I seriously wouldn't give up on it.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
you're trash

Not sure how the game comes off in the Demo but the combat mechanics feel real... simple, at the beginning. Once you become proficient at a weapon school the combat really opens up and it feels more like a modern game.

As far as everything else, the game is absolutely beautiful, theres a good amount of hooks for subquests and this game is an explorers dream (once you become strong enough to take on some of the general enemy on the island). I seriously wouldn't give up on it.

I already have a backlog and I only move things to the top if they're really impressive, so I'll give it another shot after I chip some more games away.
SRY

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
Any tips for a nub like me? I'm mostly done doing some stuff in the Don's camp. I still only have the sword I found in the house just before I got here. I did buy a crossbow and a shield.
As far as leveling goes, I'm only at lvl 2. How does strength go up? Is it one per level? Is there anyone who will fight with you?
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »
Any tips for a nub like me? I'm mostly done doing some stuff in the Don's camp. I still only have the sword I found in the house just before I got here. I did buy a crossbow and a shield.
As far as leveling goes, I'm only at lvl 2. How does strength go up? Is it one per level? Is there anyone who will fight with you?

When you level up, you get learning points. With those learning points you can increase all your various stats and skills, but first you have to find someone who can teach you that skill or stat that you want to increase. You'll also need some money too.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »

Don't attempt to go far outside the Don's camp and try to do every quest/subquest possible at that point in time (to soak up the EXP). I was constantly frustrating myself by trying to fight some Ogres (who are nearby) without realizing that they are one of the tougher enemies in the game (still tough for me, even now at Lv.17).

Brehvolution

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I was reading a walk through and found a shield on the left side of the map at the very beginning of the game. Very helpful.  I was able to clean out most of the swamp area by leading the creatures back where the guards were since they would fight them too.
I'm up to lvl 3 now but how do I spend learning points? Do I have to find someone to teach me?
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I was reading a walk through and found a shield on the left side of the map at the very beginning of the game. Very helpful.  I was able to clean out most of the swamp area by leading the creatures back where the guards were since they would fight them too.
I'm up to lvl 3 now but how do I spend learning points? Do I have to find someone to teach me?

Yep, its not apparent off the bat if someone will teach you, the only way to find a trainer is to go through the dialog of each character in the bandit camp. You'll eventually run into someone who will talk about teaching you things. In the Bandit Camp, its all about Pickpocket, Lockpicking, Crossbow, Archery, Swordsmanship, Dexterity and Strength.

I'm assuming its the same for the mage camps.

Brehvolution

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
What did you go with at first? As I said, I already bought into alchemy and lock picking. Would you go pick pocket next?
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
What did you go with at first? As I said, I already bought into alchemy and lock picking. Would you go pick pocket next?

You take the bandit path? I picked up Lockpicking and Pickpocket at first but putting some points into weapon or magic skills (depending on what path you've taken) would probably be more helpful.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
lockpicking seems fairly essential, as do the weapon skills. the stat boost training is mostly to meet better gear requirements
duc

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »
Alchemy is the most essential skill in the game IMO. You really want to get those permanent stat boost potions. Lockpicking is almost as important and you'll want to max that as well.

Generally speaking you can do both and still max a weapon and magic line without too much issue.
hex

Brehvolution

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »

You take the bandit path? I picked up Lockpicking and Pickpocket at first but putting some points into weapon or magic skills (depending on what path you've taken) would probably be more helpful.
This is the what I can't figure out to do. I have 20 learning points. How do I assign these?
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »

This is the what I can't figure out to do. I have 20 learning points. How do I assign these?

Finding the corresponding trainer. Depending on which path you've chosen, you'll find a trainer for particular weapons/magics. In the Bandit Camp, I believe its Craig that teaches swords and strength.

Brehvolution

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
I got up to 17 str from craig. got a better weapon, yada yada....
Went up the path to the monestary and got captured for magix, but consequently canceled all my bandit camp quests. Should I do that and learn magic or go back and finish bad camp stuff?
©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »
Not sure what happens when you go to the other camp but Mages seem on the opposite spectrum of what the Bandits teach. So you may be forced to learn Magic and move away from being able to max out Swords. Going to the other camp is supposed to alienate your relationship with the Bandits.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2010, 06:38:41 AM »
Oh you sided with the don.  You cant now.  If you want to be a mage you need to side with the monastery iirc.

Oh good. I'm so glad that they explained that early on instead of letting me play the game for ten hours without realizing that it's a one-way street.

Resurrecting this thread to agree with this. I think I'm locked in with the Mages, since I got beaten up and captured by them early on instead of going to the swamp or Harbour Town and so I appear to be unable to do any of the quests at the Bandit camp despite getting 4/4 with the Don once I got to Harbour Town. I even have a quest to deliver something to the Don from some guy. It makes no sense.

Besides that everything is great and I love this game. But now I'm lost.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:41:24 AM by pilonv1 »
itm