Author Topic: The Official Evilbore Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Thread!  (Read 14602 times)

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
The Official Evilbore Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Thread!
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:28 AM »
Don't know if anyone but me will have the cojones to post in this thread.  :-*

SAKURA WARS: SO LONG, MY LOVE is the fifth installment in the Sakura Taisen video game series (not counting the various spin-offs), and the first one to be localized for the US!  This is something I genuinely thought would never, ever happen! :lol

This series is a strategy RPG/adventure/anime sim hybrid which first began on the Sega Saturn all the way back in the mid-'90s.  The first two games had fairly simple strategy sections, but the meat of the game was always in the adventure sections of the game, where the story progressed in a way designed to make you feel like you were playing through an anime TV show, right down to the eyecatches in the middle of episodes and "coming next episode" previews.  No game replicates the experience of sort of being in the middle of the action in an anime show, better.

The folks responsible for the Sakura Taisen series are:

Hiroi Ouji: The series' creator, also worked as the head of Red Company and one of the creative minds behind a number of Japanese-only video game series like Tengai Makyo and Kita E.

Kosuke Fujishima: The character concept designer, probably most famous as the creator of the Oh My Goddess! and You're Under Arrest manga series.

Hidenori Matsubara: The character designer, in charge of all the in-game artwork and all the secondary character designs aside from the playable characters.  Probably best known for his work on Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Cristo anime) as well as the new Evangelion movies.

Satoru Akahori: The scriptwriter, popular for his work in manga and animation and known for his offbeat, somewhat perverted sense of humor.  His works include Bakuretsu Hunters (Sorcerer Hunters in the US), Saber Marionette J, and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

The Story:

The games' setting is an alternate early 20th century.  Steam technology rules the day, and the Japanese government has gathered together a top-secret group of spiritually powerful warriors from all over the world who pilot steam-powered mecha to fight against demons.  Of course, since this special team is 'top secret', all the members have cover identities...working as popular actors in a theater which doubles as their secret base.

This is part of the fun of the series, as it is a ridiculously entertaining mishmash of various aspects of Japanese culture: the all-female Takarazuka theatrical troupes, sentai shows, shonen anime...even early silent films and other forms of nostalgic popular culture get constantly referenced throughout the games.

where steampunk mecha piloted by spiritually powerful people fight against demons.  And the game really is a ridiculous mish-mash of Japanese culture, so it's not surprising the series has never gotten localized here.

Sakura Taisen 1, 2 and 4 took place in Tokyo, ST3 took place in Paris, and with ST5, which takes place in New York, an entire new cast is introduced, including a new main character, making it easier for anyone who's not familiar with the series to get into the game without having to worry about knowing anything regarding the continuity.

The Gameplay:

While ST1 & 2 were both fairly simple, isometrically-based strat. RPGs (so simple that they didn't even used leveling - your troops' strength was determined by how you interacted with them during the games' adventure sections), the battle system was drastically changed from ST3 onwards.  The ARMS (Active & Real-time Machine System) battle system resembles that of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (in fact, I'm pretty sure DQ's battle system was influenced by ST3's, which was released a couple of years earlier).  You have action points and can perform as many actions as your points allow, whether it be moving, attacking repeatedly, replenishing your energy, etc.   A simple example would be that you could use all your action points for movement, or, if you are near an enemy, you can attack him multiple times until your action points are depleted and not move at all.

A new feature in ST5 is the ability to switch between 'ground' and 'air' during battles.

Outside of battle, you adventure segments use a system called LIPS (Live & Interactive Picture System).  You move around a map and interact with the various characters, and often have the opportunity to answer their questions or make statements to them.  Depending on your actions during the adventure segments, your crew will perform better or worse on the battlefield and new story sequences may open up in future episodes.

The Release Date:

The game is scheduled to come out in March for PlayStation 2 and the Wii.  If you buy the game through NIS America's online shop, you can get a special "Unforgettable Memories" collector's edition which includes a hardbound artbook and poster!

The PlayStation 2 version is 2 discs, and you're essentially getting two copies of the game - one disc has the game with Japanese voice-overs, while the other has the game in dubbed form.  The ST games have so much voice acting that it was impossible to fit both languages in one disc.  The Wii version is dub-only, and is priced ten dollars cheaper because of it.

PS2 version - $39.99

Wii version - $29.99

The website:

http://www.sakurawars.us/

The pre-order site:

http://rosenqueen.com/_search.php?page=1&q=sakura+wars+memories
PS4

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Re: The Official Evilbore Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love Thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:08:56 AM »
tell me more.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:07 AM »

The battle system of Sakura Wars employs a unique battle system called "ARMS" (Active & Realtime Machine System). The player will come up with strategies and control the STAR of each member of the Star Division in order to meet the victory conditions.

1) Mobility gauge - Needed for the STAR to perform any actions. The STAR can attack, move, etc. using this variable. As long as there is Mobility remaining, the STAR can perform as many actions as you want, but each turn the STAR is allocated only a limited amount of Mobility. In this photo, the STAR has 7 Mobility.

2)HP, SP - The green bar indicates the STAR's HP, or the sturdiness and physical condition of the STAR. If this hits 0, the STAR must retreat from battle. The red bar indicates SP, spirit. SP is spent everytime you perform "Healing," "Supermove,""Joint," etc. actions. If you perform "Kiai" or receive damage from an enemy, it increases.

3) Current action and attack mode - The character "技" indicates the name of the stratagem, "gi." The wheel around it contains the various attack modes. There are "Normal," "Supermove," "Healing," and "Joint."

4) Area window - Displays the whole layout of the battlefield.
PS4

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:59 AM »
wait i didn't mean that.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:15:59 AM »
One thing I am thinking of doing is gifting someone in the forum with a copy of the game, if they want it.  If you're interested and you live in the US, just PM me and let me know why you want it.  If you're legitimately interested I'll PM you back and if you trust me enough to tell me your address I'll send you a copy of the game thru Amazon. :rock
PS4

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:16:19 AM »

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:17:52 AM »
:heartbeat
PS4

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »
Why doesn't the Wii version have dual-audio?  I'd rather play the game in Japanese but would rather play it on the Wii than PS2.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »
I'm guessing Nintendo was charging them too much for pressing the additional disc with Japanese voiceovers...

At least it's ten dollars less, and from what I've heard the dubbing sounds pretty good!

...I'm going to be playing the JP-dub version on PS2 though.  :-*
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:36 AM »
One thing I am thinking of doing is gifting someone in the forum with a copy of the game, if they want it.  If you're interested and you live in the US, just PM me and let me know why you want it.  If you're legitimately interested I'll PM you back and if you trust me enough to tell me your address I'll send you a copy of the game thru Amazon. :rock

I'll take it for Wii.
fat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »
demi wins it.
PS4

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:58 AM »
Why doesn't the Wii version have dual-audio?  I'd rather play the game in Japanese but would rather play it on the Wii than PS2.
should have bought a 60giger ps3.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »
Is this a good entry for someone who hasnt played these games... ie everyone
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:39:42 AM »
why are you even asking demi

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 07:39:50 AM »
Yeah, there's a new main character and aside from a couple of cameos, the entire cast is all-new as well.  No knowledge of previous entries in the series needed.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 07:40:07 AM »
why are you even asking demi

Because I'm sending him a copy, dude.
PS4

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »
I'll be playing this eventually... maybe not right away since there's already plenty of stuff coming out in March, but I'm in. I've never played a Sakura Taisen game so hopefully this is a good entry.
BiSH

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 07:46:26 AM »
disgusting admin.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 07:47:05 AM »
My favorite one in terms of story is part 2, but the ARMS battle system is really cool.

Who knows, maybe if this one sells they'll bring one of the other ones over...there was a remake of ST1 on PS2 that uses the new ARMS battle system, and there's also a really good port of ST3...

...yeah, that'll never happen, but at least we're getting ST5!
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 07:47:41 AM »
PM'd my address... get my uguu on
fat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »
disgusting admin.

Huh? I'm not sending him a copy because he's an admin.  I said I'd send one to the first person who asked.  demi was the first person who asked.
PS4

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:33 AM »
Does this count as a purchase? That makes my 1 game to Nintendobooger's zero, I think. Who's the wii fan now.
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
i am joking you silly, i am cool with demi.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 07:58:10 AM »
This'll make the first Wii game I ever buy. :lol
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 08:01:33 AM »
n/m you just replied to my PM
PS4

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:36 AM »
weeaboo n 35247 represents
*salutes*
<----

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 08:07:08 AM »
Done.  Enjoy the game, post your impressions when you get it! :rock
PS4

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
What was that Sakura Taisen game that took place in the wild west, and was a 3D action game?
^_^

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
That was Sakura Taisen V Episode 0: Samurai Girl of the West.  It's a prequel to the main series and the playable character is the main female lead from ST5, Gemini Sunrise:

PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 09:05:54 AM »
Of all the spin-offs, my favorite are the Hanagumi Taisen Columns games.  The Dramatic Dungeon crawler that came out on DS a year or so ago is pretty awesome too.
PS4

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
Ichi bought me the Japanese version along with the ST1 PS2 remake and ST5 Episode Zero. I should really support this English release, but there are a ton of games I want in March...
野球

Himu

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
I'd support this but I'd rather get FF13 or Yakuza 3.

Wait, when does The Show 10 come out?
IYKYK

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
do we know what game-breaking bug NIS introduced into the U.S. version or is that still TBD
乱学者

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
do we know what game-breaking bug NIS introduced into the U.S. version or is that still TBD
:lol
for people that are wondering here is the awesome job done by nisa on ar tonelico 2

- one of the minor character was named jean,she's a female character but doesn't look like one and since "jean" isn't really a male or female character they gave her a gruffy macho voice
- one of the side quest consist of getting fans for a fanclub,everytime you recruit a new fan an untranslated phrase pops up in japanese
- there is at least one instance where saying "yes" leads to the "no" dialogue and saying "no" leads to the "yes" dialogue
- one of the boss has an attack that makes the game freeze so basicaly you are forced to beat the boss quick or suffer THE TOTAL DEFEAT OF YOUR CONSOLE,and you want to know the better part? you can fight stronger and stronger version of this boss as an optional fight and each time you defeat it you get extra content like art and stuff

basicaly i've seen fan translation done better than it
admitely they did a better job on the next game but mana khemia 2 but it still had a freezing bug when fighting one of the optional boss,luckily this optional boss is very easy to defeat and as such can be killed in a single turn before he freeze the game

<----

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »

The Show is out in March.

March has too many games that I want: Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Ryu ga Gotoku 4, Gundam Assault Survive, Hokuto Musou, Pro Baseball Spirits 2010, etc. Argh!
野球

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
It still kinda blows my mind that this is actually coming out.  People, not too many people left by now, but people have been waiting for this for well over a decade.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »

Sure, go ahead and support FF13, which doesn't really need your help with a purchase, instead of this.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
Ichi bought me the Japanese version along with the ST1 PS2 remake and ST5 Episode Zero. I should really support this English release, but there are a ton of games I want in March...

It's only forty bucks, dude.  Please support the franchise.  It needs it!
PS4

Debaser

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 05:58:27 PM »
Hey Himuro, you know what other RPG is less than $40 and comes out the same day as this

Himu

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »

STRANGE JOURNEY!!!!!

I guess March is just FF13 and SJ for me then.  :'(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 06:08:19 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »
You probably would have just pirated it anyway.
PS4

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »
I will buy this.
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »

Yeah, that was fucking inexcusable in Ar Tonelico 2.  FWIW they actually apologized for it and the PSP port of Disgaea 2 has no game-breaking bugs as far as I know.

Even with all this, I'm glad NIS America is translating it instead of Working Designs like it was rumored they were back in '96.  They probably would've made at least one of the characters incontinent and another a closeted gay dude, plus adding all the "hip" pop culture jokes that WDtards love.
PS4

Himu

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 01:56:12 AM »
I'll support when I get the cash and time.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
I'll support when I get the cash and time.

All I ask is that when you buy a copy, you buy it new so NIS gets money instead of Gamestop or some eBay seller.

You played ST3 and 4 so you know how great the ARMS battle system is.  This is a cool game from a venerable franchise and deserves our support.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 08:18:56 PM »
So I was going through the official page reading everything, and...for some reason, they change several character names in the dub version of the game.  This is absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged, because that means that in the sub disc, they still keep the original names. wtf? :lol
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »

This is absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged.  The Japanese voice-over disc has the name Sagitta Weinberg, but in the dub version the character is renamed Cheiron Archer.  Another minor character is named Plum Spaniel in the Japanese voice-over disc, and Cherry Cocker in the dub disc.

I'm pretty sure at this point NIS America is just doing this to fuck with people.  I mean, seriously? :lol
PS4

Himu

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 12:40:35 AM »
I haven't played ST4.
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »
ST3 has the same battle system too, bro.
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »

:rock
PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 03:54:17 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged.  The Japanese voice-over disc has the name Sagitta Weinberg, but in the dub version the character is renamed Cheiron Archer.  Another minor character is named Plum Spaniel in the Japanese voice-over disc, and Cherry Cocker in the dub disc.

I'm pretty sure at this point NIS America is just doing this to fuck with people.  I mean, seriously? :lol

Well, PS2 LE with Japanese language disc it is!
ど助平

Jansen

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:28 AM »
is every ps2 copy the deluxe edition? i have this preordered at gamestop but i'd rather get it from amazon.  the problem is amazon doesnt mention anything about it being the DE which is the only way to get the dual language discs.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »
NIS America had originally announced that there would be two versions for PS2 - premium (dual-voice over) and regular (dub-only).  However, their online site only has the deluxe version for sale on PS2, so I don't know if the dub-only regular version has been canceled or what.  Gamestop's site also only lists the premium version.

You could always do what I'm going to do, which is order directly from NIS's online shop, that way they get more of your money than they would if you went through another retailer.
PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
Have they said if the Wii version runs in 480P?  The PS2 version is likely to be 480i.
ど助平

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 11:31:18 PM »
Website doesn't say anything one way or the other.  You don't want the Wii version, though, it's dub only.
PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »
Website doesn't say anything one way or the other.  You don't want the Wii version, though, it's dub only.

I know, but I will be tempted to want it if it's 480P.   :-\
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:32 PM »
I want the Wii version because I dont play PS2 anymore. In the closet forever and EVER
fat

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »

I know, but I will be tempted to want it if it's 480P.   :-\

Buy both! It's only $30! ;)
PS4

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
I think I figured out why the PS2 version is only available in the premium version right now...from what I'm reading at RPGFan and RPGamer, it sounds like the first run of the PS2 version will all be the premium version, and everything after that will be the regular one-disc version.  So you can only get the JP voiceover disc if you get the very first release.

Premium version box art:

Regular version box art (this is the Wii one, but the PS2 regular version has the same box art):

PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
I want the Wii version because I dont play PS2 anymore. In the closet forever and EVER

Mine is hooked up but never gets used, plus 480i games just look ugly on an HDTV.

The Wii version being 480P would be a big deal for me.

I know, but I will be tempted to want it if it's 480P.   :-\

Buy both! It's only $30! ;)

I will likely buy the PS2 premium and maybe rent the Wii version...from the internet store.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:58:18 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平